Can I listen to Gayatri Mantra chant any time?

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
lightray94
Contributor
Contributor
Can I listen to Gayatri Mantra chant any time?

Post by lightray94 » 11 Jan 2020

Respected Members,
I'm a Brahmin by birth and completed thread ceremony. I chant gayatri mantra every morning , it helps me immensely with my peace of mind, I'm a student in competitive exam arena(my biggest risk for final time) but I've got to face many sycophants who dont want me to grow and achieve in life. Dealing with them is not new for me, I've been fighting them since my childhood, but the problem is I want to keep my mind peaceful to ensure complete focus. so I've started to listen gayatri mantra chant which cools down my mind immensely. My priest during thread ceremony advised me to chant only during daytime, but can the jap be listened(not chanting) even during night time? is my question. I've read Gayatri is one of the 7 horses of Lord Sun. so can I listen during night time too is my question. I request any esteemed members who are aware of this to answer.
Thanks and Regards,
Lightray94.

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Can I listen to Gayatri Mantra chant any time?

Post by ChandraLagna » 24 Jan 2020

Recall that you do Karanyasa and Anganyasa before chanting the Gayatri Maha-mantra.
After completion, you also do the Dosha-parihara for any errors in mantra, dhyana, niyama etc.

The above 2 points answer your query.
--भज गोविन्दं... भज गोविन्दं...गोविन्दं भज, मूढमते --

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 11 Feb 2020

For a Brahmin initiated to the Savitri, its recital in the twilight periods is a nitya karma. Not performing the nitya karma will entail a dosha called pratyavaya. Hence I would suggest reciting it in the evening twilight period. This mantra should be recited / muttered without anyone else hearing you. That being the rule, how would you find someone willing enough to recite it in the night, in your hearing? If you mean to listen to a recording, I doubt whether that would serve any purpose. There are subtle variations in the recital of the mantra, as followed in different sampradayas. It is always advisable to recite it as per your own sampradaya. Also the priest who initiated you, is your second father, and Savitri your mother now. Is it right to go against an express instruction from your father? isnt it better to resolve to perform your recital as part of the evening Sandhya worship, as all brahmins are required to?

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 12 Feb 2020

Actually pratah sandhyavandanam, madhyanikam and sayam sandhyavandanam are prescribed for early morning, afternoon and evening respectively and even pariharas are there for doing them at a later time than the one prescribed.

These are nityakarmas.

Pitrukarma is the one where one does shraddha for his parents (when not alive).

An upanyasakar mentioned, doing sandhyavandanam will fetch you punya but not doing will not give papa.
Doing pitrukarma will not give punya but not doing will give you papa. These are his words.

But of course doing both is ideal.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 12 Feb 2020

We have to follow what the scriptures say. Many scriptures emphatically declare that the primary duty of the initiated dwija (brahmana, kshatriya, vaishya) is to recite the Savitri in the Sandhya periods and if he doesnt do it, he becomes fallen, incurring the sin called pratyavaya. I suggest referring the Manu Smriti (and other lesser known smritis like Yajnavalkya smriti ) Devi Bhagavatam and Kurma Purana, to name a few. Manu Smriti says, if the Brahmin doesnt perform Sandhya worship, the king should forcibly make him do menial work along with sudras. There are many instances in Mahabharata wherein its mentioned that non performance of Sandhya worship is dharma lopa. All smritis say in unison that, if a brahmin performs puja to other Gods without paying homage to Savitri, that fool incurs the sin of offering food to others while keeping his mother hungry at home. So this is an unambiguous matter - an upanyasakar cannot go against basic injunctions like these. There is also a possibility that you might not have heard him correctly (no offense intended - this is always possible due to any reasons like too much noise....)

Madhyahnikam is not mentioned in Manu Smriti and other smritis but is certainly recommended as a sishta achara. Nowadays many people disregard it, due to difficulty in doing it in office etc. But the scriptures say it is essential to do it at least in the morning and evening.
Last edited by hari766 on 12 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Devi Bhagavatham says in one place, if the brahmin doesnt do Sandhya worship, he will be reborn as a fox or some such animal....while explaining how essential a duty it is.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The fact remains that many brahmins in kaliyuga do not do, some do not even know their gotra.
This is the fact, though unfortunate.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That is the sad truth...you can also say that, the past bad karma of many - present day brahmins cloud their awareness and make them neglect their nitya karma. And as though proportionately, the status of brahmins in society has also reduced considerably.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The below excerpt from the life of a south indian saint might be pertinent in this context.

"Ornce over forty brahmins from the area Vanniya Teynampet in Chennai came to have darshan of Maha Periyavaa. After their obeisance to the sage, they expressed their common mental agony: that brahmins were not able to go around in the area with respect as some atheists made fun and showed animosity whenever they came across the hair-tufts, sacred threads, and Vaishnavite marks that adorned the body of a brahmin. As he heard this, Sri PeriyavargaL asked them, "You people do the Gayatri Japam every day?" There was silence. He advised them, "Continue to do the Gayatri Japam daily. Everything will be all right."

As advised, they started doing the Gayatri Japam daily. Within two months the situation changed to their complete satisfaction. They met Periyavaa happily and conveyed the news. Periyavaa told them, "All the problems are due to your giving up Gayatri mantra. The power of Gayatri mantra is immeasurable."

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hari
What you say may be true but I would want to add here that purity of mind is of utmost importance.
My father did trikalasandhya and never even thought ill of others who even harmed him. He was an IAS officer, a sanskrit scholar who translated Tagore's works to sanskrit. He even taught subjects to poor for free and helped in temple constructions and anna daan and so on. He was so down to earth and saw others as athman.
He was named Ajathashatru by many of his friends and our relatives.
But I know of a few who do trikala sandhya but are very narrow minded, selfish and even poisonous.
They have harmed others immensely.
Doing sandhya regularly should of course impart sathva but may be they would be even worse than in this state provided they did not do sandhyavandanam.
Just thought of sharing the facts openly.
There are much better people who may not do but have a purer heart.
Not that all doing nityakarma are like this but there are quite a number.
As I said, may be they would have been worse had they stopped doing.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 13 Feb 2020

Hi Dev,
In my understanding, this practice, among other things, increases the ATHMABALA in the practitioner. If we take the example of your father, even as he faced challenges from various quarters, he had this inner strength to continue with his life work in other areas, for the benefit of society. Since people are born with various vasanas, we can never say that all practitioners will be endowed with the purest form of Sattva guna ! Ravana and Duryodhana were regular practitioners of Sandhya worship. The story of Murdeshwar temple in coastal Karnataka is assiciated with Ravana 's penchant for Trikala Sandhyavandanam. He is considered a LOKA KANTAKA. But this practice enabled these guys with the atma bala to shine in the battlefield like HEROES which again is a form of Sattva guna. Duryodhana at the time of his death and total defeat shames the Pandavas and Krishna, with his statements born out of inner strength. So in my view, there will be many ways in which Sattva Guna is manifested, and it need not be the pure Sattva that one tends to associate with saintly people.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 13 Feb 2020

Thanks Hari.
I agree as I also said that satvik qualities would increase but as you say all are not born with purest form of sathva guna. Yes, Ravana was a devout Shiva Bhakth and practised Sandhya worship.
Definitely as you very nicely said people are born with different vasanas and we cant expect same attitude.
Still as you say, leaving that aside practising trikalasandhyavandanam as prescribed for brahmins by brahmins would elevate them to higher levels.

lightray94
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lightray94 » 15 Feb 2020

ChandraLagna wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Recall that you do Karanyasa and Anganyasa before chanting the Gayatri Maha-mantra.
After completion, you also do the Dosha-parihara for any errors in mantra, dhyana, niyama etc.

The above 2 points answer your query.
Yes sir understood. Thank you.

Har Har Mahadev

lightray94
Contributor
Contributor

hari766 wrote:
12 Feb 2020
The below excerpt from the life of a south indian saint might be pertinent in this context.

"Ornce over forty brahmins from the area Vanniya Teynampet in Chennai came to have darshan of Maha Periyavaa. After their obeisance to the sage, they expressed their common mental agony: that brahmins were not able to go around in the area with respect as some atheists made fun and showed animosity whenever they came across the hair-tufts, sacred threads, and Vaishnavite marks that adorned the body of a brahmin. As he heard this, Sri PeriyavargaL asked them, "You people do the Gayatri Japam every day?" There was silence. He advised them, "Continue to do the Gayatri Japam daily. Everything will be all right."

As advised, they started doing the Gayatri Japam daily. Within two months the situation changed to their complete satisfaction. They met Periyavaa happily and conveyed the news. Periyavaa told them, "All the problems are due to your giving up Gayatri mantra. The power of Gayatri mantra is immeasurable."
Agreed sir
Thanks and Regards,
Lightray94
Har Har Mahadev

lightray94
Contributor
Contributor

Dev wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Hari
What you say may be true but I would want to add here that purity of mind is of utmost importance.
My father did trikalasandhya and never even thought ill of others who even harmed him. He was an IAS officer, a sanskrit scholar who translated Tagore's works to sanskrit. He even taught subjects to poor for free and helped in temple constructions and anna daan and so on. He was so down to earth and saw others as athman.
He was named Ajathashatru by many of his friends and our relatives.
But I know of a few who do trikala sandhya but are very narrow minded, selfish and even poisonous.
They have harmed others immensely.
Doing sandhya regularly should of course impart sathva but may be they would be even worse than in this state provided they did not do sandhyavandanam.
Just thought of sharing the facts openly.
There are much better people who may not do but have a purer heart.
Not that all doing nityakarma are like this but there are quite a number.
As I said, may be they would have been worse had they stopped doing.
Agreed, it's up to their discretion to think and choose what's right and be aware what karma they're taking upon themselves.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 26 Feb 2020

True.