Vishomtri dasha system

For discussion on the dashas (predictive systems): vimshottari, yogini, or other conditional dashas like shodashottari, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Shalu
Contributor
Contributor
Vishomtri dasha system

Post by Shalu » 07 Nov 2017

What is the logic behind dasha system division of years for each planet ..? Pls guide me

joyd

Re: Vishomtri dasha system

Post by joyd » 17 Dec 2017

Shalu-Appreciate your zeal on basics of astrology.Really it is a very good & depthy question.

The word vimsottari means 20 + 100 =120.so vimsottari contains a total of 120 years.Modern scientists proved that human body parts can work up to 120 years only.so based on it,a healthy humans life span decided as 120 years.The inner meaning of vimsottari lies in 120 earth rotations around the sun.Each sign contain 9 padas of 2.5 stars.There are 12 signs.so 12 x 9 =108 padas ,plus 12 signs= 108 +12=120.Each pada contributes 1 year in vimsottari dasa. These 120 years distributed to planets in a very methodical way by parashar ji.
These 120 years distributed to 9 planets based on the distance from sun.It means,the planets sun-mercury-venus-ketu-Moon are closer or inner grahas[all are friends] and the rest of those planets comes under outer grahas.[all are friends except Mars].The inner graha shares 60 years and outer ones are the rest of 60 years,which in total-120 years.

How Each planet got its dasa years is-The allocation of dasa years based on 1-Friendship 2-exaltation sign 3-Debilitation sign 4-constellations pada number.Let we go a bit deep on these things now.Take aswini star.Its 4 padas represents 1-2-3-4 signs from Aries.Padas of next constellation,i.e Bharani follows the same.After 3 constellations count[completion of 12 pads]same method repeats From Rohini.Like this after the 9 cycles completion all 27 stars covers the 12 signs.

.Each planet gets a year adding as per his exaltation sign,own sign,relation to the sign lord.Now see how sun allotted 6 years as his maha dasa years.sun gets his 1st year in Ashwini's[exalted sign] 1st pada,2nd in Punarvasu[friend] 1st ,3rd in Magha[friend] 1st ,4th in Moola[friend] 1st ,5th one in his own sign Leo ,and the last 6th year in uttara bhadrapada star.Now add these years and you will get sun mahadasha years as 6.

Dont be in confusion.If you are not catching the point in my explanation,don't leave it and read as many times as you can till you got the point in it.

Repeat and find the dasa periods of other planets by using this scientific method.Wish you happy learning from LOVA forum.

joyd.

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 23 Dec 2017

Namah Shivaaya,
Joyd bhaiyya, that's how Navaamsha has defined right, Each paadam in raashi (3°20') is equivalent to a full raashi in Navaamsha (13°20'), i got that point, but in the explanation that you've given for the calculation of Sun's Mahaadasha, if we've given Ashwini-1, Makha-1, Moola-1 for 1 each year respectively & if we've given 1 year for Punarvasu-1, Why not Vishaakha-1 & Poorvabhaadrapada-1, 1 each year? Again you've told 5th one in his own sign, which Sun's star will be in Leo only (Uttaraphalguni) but that belongs to Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces sign of Navaamsha right?
Again why 6th year is allotted to Uttarabhaadrapada? it's Saturn's Nakshatra right, In Pisces there's no Sun Nakshatra isn't it? :? :roll:

Or, I'm sorry if I've understood it wrongly.

विम्शति (Vimshati) in सम्सकृतम् means numerical value 20, शतम् (Shatam) or शतः is 100, so उत्तर (Uttara) means after, पूर्व (Poorva) means before
So, विम्शोत्तर means any numerical value which is after 20.
Now 120 is विम्शत्युत्तरशत (Vimshatyuttarashata) in सम्सकृतम्,
I really have no idea why Vimshottari is 120 :shock: :roll:
Thanks Joyd bhaiyya 8)

joyd

Post by joyd » 24 Dec 2017

you missed some key links in my analysis.so re read it again and again till you catch the inner essence of the write-up.

joyd.

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 24 Dec 2017

Namah Shivaaya,
Sure Joyd bhaiyya I'll ponder over it.
Thanks

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 24 Feb 2018

joyd wrote:
17 Dec 2017
How Each planet got its dasa years is-The allocation of dasa years based on 1-Friendship 2-exaltation sign 3-Debilitation sign 4-constellations pada number. Let we go a bit deep on these things now. Take aswini star.Its 4 padas represents 1-2-3-4 signs from Aries. Padas of next constellation,i.e Bharani follows the same.After 3 constellations count[completion of 12 pads]same method repeats From Rohini. Like this after the 9 cycles completion all 27 stars covers the 12 signs.

Each planet gets a year adding as per his exaltation sign,own sign,relation to the sign lord.Now see how sun allotted 6 years as his maha dasa years. Sun gets his 1st year in Ashwini's[exalted sign] 1st pada,2nd in Punarvasu[friend] 1st ,3rd in Magha[friend] 1st ,4th in Moola[friend] 1st ,5th one in his own sign Leo ,and the last 6th year in uttara bhadrapada star.Now add these years and you will get sun mahadasha years as 6.
joyd.
Vivek Surya wrote:
23 Dec 2017
But in the explanation that you've given for the calculation of Sun's Mahaadasha, if we've given Ashwini-1, Makha-1, Moola-1 for 1 each year respectively & if we've given 1 year for Punarvasu-1, Why not Vishaakha-1 & Poorvabhaadrapada-1, 1 each year? Again you've told 5th one in his own sign, which Sun's star will be in Leo only (Uttaraphalguni) but that belongs to Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces sign of Navaamsha right?
This is what i understood :?
joyd wrote:
24 Dec 2017
you missed some key links in my analysis.so re read it again and again till you catch the inner essence of the write-up.

joyd.
Namah Shivaaya,
Joyd bhaiyya, I've gone through it so many times, but i couldn't understand, as you've mentioned debilitation, constellation pada number, I didn't get it.

The below one is the most confusing part
Vivek Surya wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Again why 6th year is allotted to Uttarabhaadrapada? it's Saturn's Nakshatra right, In Pisces there's no Sun Nakshatra isn't it? :? :roll:
Thanks for your patience
वागर्थाविव संपृक्तौ वागर्थप्रतिपत्तये।
जगतः पितरौ वन्दे पार्वतीपरमेश्वरौ॥ 🙏
By महा कवि कालिदास in रघुवंशम्

श्रुति स्मृति पुराणाणां आलयं करुणालयं |
नमामि भगवत्पादम् शङ्करं लोकशङ्करं ||🙏

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 28 Feb 2018

Namah Shivaaya,
Any inputs please?
Thanks

GNE
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by GNE » 03 May 2018

Joyd,
Very interesting concept you've written. Thank you for sharing, if possible could you please tell which source you got it from?
I cannot find any classic text mentioning any reasons for why the vimshottari dasha years are the amounts that they are for each planet (I do understand why 120 years in total though).

regards

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 05 May 2018

नमः शिवाय!
Joyd bhaiyya, I'd feel happy if the above logic is cleared! could you please explain my doubt! Yes, I've tried lot of times to understand & shared this link with others, even they also didn't understand the logic! So, only you can help. Actually, I have this doubt from so many days!
Thanks!

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 09 May 2018

नमः शिवाय!
Dear learners or learned Astrologers kindly help with the above analysis!

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 10 May 2018

The dasa sequence and the number of years allotted cannot be understood easily. There have been some suggestions about possible explanations in Astrological magazines but nothing concrete as yet. It is best to accept it on a 'as is where is' basis for the present. OR formulate your own theory and put it up in the public domain for scrutiny and comments !!! This area is wide open at present.

TKC

Suresh_Chauhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Suresh_Chauhan » 10 May 2018

Tylorechandra (TKC)

You have posted your birth details elsewhere on this forum. It shows you have mercury in lagna. Have you run Mercury's mahadasha yet? Observed any adverse effects like slander, infamy, mischief from opp. sex, etc? (badnaami is the Hindi word for it). It would have happened mostly in young age, and only if Mercury dasha on. If you feel is ok, you can let us know.

Trying to verify effect of singleton mercury placed in the lagna. Regardless of lagna and rashi, its behavior is that mercury will bring ill reputation to native, even if temporary, from female sex

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My Mercury dasa starts only from 2030. I am currently under Saturn-Venus-Venus which ends on 23-5-2018.

During antaras of Mercury, didn't have the type of problems mentioned by you.

TKC

Suresh_Chauhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

tylorechandra wrote:
10 May 2018
During antaras of Mercury, didn't have the type of problems mentioned by you.

TKC
Thank you TKC for confirming to the contrary. Came across this dictum and wanted to verify. Many dictums in astrology, mostly interpretations of texts by a few, have been converted into "tall claims" by many in the moden era. In another dictum same group of proponents claimed that ketu in 3rd house means 3 siblings - could be 3 sisters, 3 brothers, or 1 bro/2 sis, 1 sis/2 bro combinations.

Problem is, its hard to confirm! Ketu in 3rd giving less siblings maybe true, but why 3? Many charts showed otherwise, myself included. One only sister, so that makes us TWO, refuting the dictum right ther.

SO thats the problem you see, not enough data. And for every rule, 50 violations.

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

As far as Ketu in the third is concerned, I have seen in many charts that it indicates a denial of younger coborn unless the 3rd house is otherwise strong, influenced by Jupiter and Ketu weak or not activated.

I have not seen any case where the native with Ketu in the 3rd having three younger siblings.

TKC

Suresh_Chauhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

tylorechandra wrote:
10 May 2018
I have not seen any case where the native with Ketu in the 3rd having three younger siblings.
No, i meant 3 total siblings. 3 bro, sis, or combinations. no more, no less. Sorry for confusion. Its obvious that it is a misinterpretation by some people.

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I have not seen any such cases either (three siblings in all).

TKC

joyd

Post by joyd » 10 May 2018

s_c- the rule is as follows-ketu in 3rd aspects the 9th.This 9th is is the 3rd from the 7th.so what you have to understand this as-the partner of the native will have either 3 bros or 3 sisters and not the native himself.In some cases the family members are expanding nature like 6, in such cases 3 bros-3 sisters are present in such family.The rule is under validity and i have seen more than 15 horoscopes of such kind.

joyd.

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 10 May 2018

नमः शिवाय!
Suresh Chauhan Ji, my doubt is on Vimshottari dasha logic. But what're you asking!? :cry:
Joyd bhaiyya please explain or tell the source so that I can learn :) , I'm waiting since long time! :(

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 11 May 2018

Joyd,

Sorry, but I don't understand your logic many times. This is also one such. Can you be clearer?

TKC

Suresh_Chauhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Suresh_Chauhan » 11 May 2018

joyd wrote:
10 May 2018
the partner of the native will have either 3 bros or 3 sisters and not the native himself.
Sorry wrong again. Have few charts with Ketu in 3rd house alone. The wife's siblings did not total 3, only 2 sisters. Even if 1 chart is breaking rule, then the rule cannot be said to be universally valid.

Thats the problem, we need to challenge who interpreted the ancient texts. Lot of times they might have been confused and got wrong understanding of what was written.

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Crystalpages » 11 May 2018

Vivek Surya wrote:
28 Feb 2018
Namah Shivaaya,
Any inputs please?
Thanks
The zodiac is 360 degrees, with 12 rashis and 27 nakshatras (3 segments each ruled by 9 planets)
Each segment covers 120 degrees and ruled from ketu to mercury in that order.
Vimshottary is a lunar-nakshatra dasha and begins for each individual (nativity, jatak) with the dasha of the planet in whose nakshatra the natal moon is located, prorated by exact position of moon in that nakshatra (janma nakshatra).

Each nakshatra set segment covers 120 degrees in nakshatra 'zodiac', and the vimshottary dasha covers 120 years.

One can see this as if the natal moon is progressing through lifetime of the nativity through the nakshatras ruled by planets (dashas) at different velocities: most rapidly through nakshatra of sun (6 years), slowest through nakshatra of venus (20 years).

Interestingly, and unrelated manner, tropicalists use a timing system that progresses the natal chart at the rate of 1 degree per year, so 120 degrees in 120 years, at constant velocity.

Vimshottary too progresses the natal moon -- 120 degrees in 120 years, however not at constant velocity, but at different speeds through the nakshatras (dashas).
Rohiniranjan

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Crystalpages » 11 May 2018

Suresh_Chauhan wrote:
11 May 2018
joyd wrote:
10 May 2018
the partner of the native will have either 3 bros or 3 sisters and not the native himself.
Sorry wrong again. Have few charts with Ketu in 3rd house alone. The wife's siblings did not total 3, only 2 sisters. Even if 1 chart is breaking rule, then the rule cannot be said to be universally valid.

Thats the problem, we need to challenge who interpreted the ancient texts. Lot of times they might have been confused and got wrong understanding of what was written.
Dear Chauhan jee,

I have noticed, generally speaking, that in earlier generations couples used to stay together longer and tended to have larger families and 4 or more kids were not uncommon! Now a day, "Ek yaa do bas" (one or two and then stop!) seems to have become the norm. So, perhaps, we modern jyotishis must take into account at least desh and Kaal both of which have been changing, just as equinoxes have been (ayanamshas...?)

My grandparents and my wife's grandparents had enough to form a cricket team! My parents and my generation had just enough to play cards or chess...!

With MA DHARITRI hosting (hoisting?) 7 billion strong folks, perhaps the downward trend populationwise is not all that unwelcome?

However, we modern astrologers must not ignore the modern trends of the populace who seems to have voluntarily decided for "one or two?"

I do not know whether that global trend (not 100% Universal of course) was Destined, or a responsible act of free-will and freedom of choice...!

The wife of one jatak known to me who has ketu in 3rd (Jatak), she only has one elder brother. Parents are baby boomers, kids are from millennium generation...!

For what the information in this posting may be worth...
Rohiniranjan

Vivek Surya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 11 May 2018

नमः शिवाय!
Crystalpages wrote:
11 May 2018
One can see this as if the natal moon is progressing through lifetime of the nativity through the nakshatras ruled by planets (dashas) at different velocities: most rapidly through nakshatra of sun (6 years), slowest through nakshatra of venus (20 years).
Wow! 😍 this is something from which I've to ponder!
Thanks a lot Rohiniranjan Ji 🤗 :mrgreen:
tylorechandra wrote:
11 May 2018
Joyd,

Sorry, but I don't understand your logic many times. This is also one such. Can you be clearer?

TKC
Sorry Joyd Bhaiyya! A lot of people are feeling the same, that's the reason why I've been asking you!
But your way of understanding is through constellation paada number & something related to exaltation sign, own sign, So this made me feel very interesting, but wasn't clear! Thus wanted to get clear!
Thanks if you could consider our request & explain :)

Suresh_Chauhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Suresh_Chauhan » 11 May 2018

Dear Crystalpages, I was going to write precisely that! In modern nuclear families, who has more than 1-2 kids to count?! Then I stopped, since we are trying just to verify the dictum.

But you are correct. In olden times, people had many more children. Generally, with greater prosperity the number of offspring should also increase . But reverse is true. In richer western countries, people develop other hobbies, pastimes, etc. and sex ceases to be used just for procreation. Hence numbers per family, decrease and over 2-3 generations, the trend begins to go down. So in reality, population growth rate is a function of economic advancement of different countries compared to historic median I suppose.