What is Dasha?

For discussion on the dashas (predictive systems): vimshottari, yogini, or other conditional dashas like shodashottari, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
stareagle
Re: What is Dasha?

Post by stareagle » 26 Sep 2013

Planetary period

As for calculating it you might find a free Dasha calculator if you google it.

I am learning astrology. I am a spiritualist and Reiki Master.
Please take personal responsibility and decide what is best for you.

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is Dasha?

Post by Crystalpages » 03 Feb 2014

[quote="artijain1900"]My birth was on 8 October 1988. Do i have any so called Dasha?[/quote]

Everyone has dashas, it comes in our birthday package B-}D

The premise underlying this rather intriguing entity is rather is interesting. If we think of the vimshottari dasha, for instance, it is calculated based on the placement of natal moon in a certain nakshatra. This determines the dasha at birth. Let us suppose it is one of the nakshatras of jupiter. The entire span of the nakshatra of jupiter would represent the 16 years of Jupiter dasha as assigned in scriptural texts (such as B.P.H.S.). If moon is at a point in the nakshatra about 1/4th in it, then the remaining 600 minutes yet to be travelled (each nakshatra is 800 minutes or 13d 20m long) would represent 12 years of jupiter yet to be experienced by the nativity. Thereafter will come dasha of saturn (19 years) and mercury and so forth.

One can conceptualize a vimshottari dasha as the 'progression' of natal moon, from the point at birth through remaining lifespan. One can also appreciate that unlike western progressions which ascribe a constant velocity of progression, in dasha progression, moon progresses at variable velocities, covering the same span (800 minutes) in six years in nakshatras of sun, ten years in those of moon, sixteen years in jupiter nakshatras, and so on.

Please do note that, generally speaking, people mean the vimshottary dasha (spelt in several ways!) which is very important but only one of scores of other similar means of timing through progressions and sequences of different kinds, involving the nakshatras, signs, etc.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan