Are all dasha sandhi to be looked at the same way?

For discussion on the dashas (predictive systems): vimshottari, yogini, or other conditional dashas like shodashottari, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor
Are all dasha sandhi to be looked at the same way?

Post by rvenkats » 06 Apr 2012

Dear Members,

One of the common answers we get when someone looks at the jataka if the native is running the last antardasha of the dasha is that the prediction cannot be reasonably made because the energies of the adjacent MahaDasha planets are in flux/mix.

I would like to get some opinion on this more especially when it concerns 2 long mahadashas coming one after another. For e.g. Lets look at Ju, Sa, Me dashas. When Ju dasha ends, the Ra bukthi is 2 years and 5 months. Likewise Sa/Ju is 2.5 years and some days, Me/Sa is 2 years and 8 months. All of these are significantly long periods of time in one's life (I mean this sandhi kala is 25% or more of the entire Ke, Mo, Su, Ma dashas each). It is logical for having potentially not much clarity for these periods is a person's life?

Is there a dictum in our traditions or classics that help answer such dasha sandhis?

Regards.

Kunal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Are all dasha sandhi to be looked at the same way?

Post by Kunal » 24 Apr 2012

This is an interesting topic and something that I haven't seen in much discussion.If any expert could share their knowledge on this ,then it would be great.

astroKid_84

Post by astroKid_84 » 27 Apr 2012

Very very practical topic. Thanks for posting this query rvenkats :)

I found an useful link online which explains the concept in an intuitive manner:
http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Vimshot ... sandhi.htm

The 10% transition time has worked out personally for me. But this might potentially vary from person to person depending upon their mental make-up, transits at that time, strength of the last AD planet etc etc.

Curious to see how people with many short MD's react to such changes on the physical and mental plane? For instance, I would experience all the short MD's in my life (Ketu....Sun, Moon and Mars). Then, such people would have to go through so many Dasha Sandhis!

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 28 Apr 2012

Dear rvenkats,

There is a rule of thumb for Dasha Sandhi periods. For Mahadashas its 3 months either way (i.e. the last 3 months and the 1st 3 months of the next MD - total 6 months). For ADs, it is usually 1 month either way - total 2 months. For PDs its 7 days either way - total 15 days. Although for PDs some authorities take just 3 days either way, total 6 days.

Hope this helps.

swamykool
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

Kunal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kunal » 29 Apr 2012

swamykool wrote:Dear rvenkats,

There is a rule of thumb for Dasha Sandhi periods. For Mahadashas its 3 months either way (i.e. the last 3 months and the 1st 3 months of the next MD - total 6 months). For ADs, it is usually 1 month either way - total 2 months. For PDs its 7 days either way - total 15 days. Although for PDs some authorities take just 3 days either way, total 6 days.

Hope this helps.

swamykool
That seems more logical to me as 10% (from what I've even read earlier long time back) seems like too much time especially if someone is making a change from rahu to jupiter or from jupiter to saturn

rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvenkats » 30 Apr 2012

Members,

Thanks a lot for answering the question. I myself tend to think that the 10% rule might be difficult to practically apply. For example when going from Me to Ke dasha the first 1.2 years of Ke dasha will be 17% of the dasha. That might be too long in my opinion. I am also not sure about the exact math in the article in the link presented in this thread though the explanation of sandhi is very nice.

I guess the next question would be how would the dasha sandhi behave? Will the effect be more like the dasha of the stronger of the two planets? Another unique situation - Ra and Ke by 3 schools of thought will behave in one of the following three ways:
1. Sa and Ma especially if one will not see these dashas in their life (Sanivat Rahu principle).
2. Will behave like the planets they are placed with in the jatakam.
3. Will behave like the lord of the house they are placed in.

So in case of Me -> Ke dasha and if Me and Ke are in the 5th house Taurus. How will the sandhi express itself? Or being only 6 months in duration would it not count?

Regards,
Venkat

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 30 Apr 2012

rvenkats wrote:Members,

Thanks a lot for answering the question. I myself tend to think that the 10% rule might be difficult to practically apply. For example when going from Me to Ke dasha the first 1.2 years of Ke dasha will be 17% of the dasha. That might be too long in my opinion. I am also not sure about the exact math in the article in the link presented in this thread though the explanation of sandhi is very nice.

I guess the next question would be how would the dasha sandhi behave? Will the effect be more like the dasha of the stronger of the two planets? Another unique situation - Ra and Ke by 3 schools of thought will behave in one of the following three ways:
1. Sa and Ma especially if one will not see these dashas in their life (Sanivat Rahu principle).
2. Will behave like the planets they are placed with in the jatakam.
3. Will behave like the lord of the house they are placed in.

So in case of Me -> Ke dasha and if Me and Ke are in the 5th house Taurus. How will the sandhi express itself? Or being only 6 months in duration would it not count?

Regards,
Venkat
IMO,energy of the next oncoming MD starts taking root in the last AD of the present MD (not necessarily true) coz sometime the last AD of a MD may be itslef be a long period eg Sa AD in Mercury MD is 2-1/2 yrs long ..So roughly i think energy of the the nxt MD starts to kick in slowly and steadily approx a year before its commencement
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology

rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvenkats » 02 May 2012

Thanks astro123 for your answer. What will the nature of results during the sandhi period? I am curious as to thoughts on scenario I mentioned because based on the principle the sandhi kala will behave quite differently.

Case in point: If we apply principle 1 and Ke behaves like Me then it is almost like the continuation of Me dasha for the next 7 years.

I would greatly appreciate your viewpoints.

Regards,
Venkat

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 06 May 2012

rvenkats wrote:Thanks astro123 for your answer. What will the nature of results during the sandhi period? I am curious as to thoughts on scenario I mentioned because based on the principle the sandhi kala will behave quite differently.

Case in point: If we apply principle 1 and Ke behaves like Me then it is almost like the continuation of Me dasha for the next 7 years.

I would greatly appreciate your viewpoints.

Regards,
Venkat
one maust factor in the lordship,strength,placement etc of the next MD lord in the chart and div charts...There may be a smooth flow and transfer of energy if a benefic dasha is followed by another benefic MD and vice versa (Malefic dasha)
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology

rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvenkats » 14 May 2012

Dear astro123,

Therein lies by basic dilemma. I will take my example Sa, Me, Ke, Sk are pretty much clustered in the 5th and 6th houses for me. Sa, Me and Sk are all benefics for me as Cp Lagna person. Me and Ke are in the 5th and now my confusion lies in the fact that Me and Ke are in the same house are aspected by Ma from 2nd House and is in house of a friend (Sk) in Ta. Me is Uttama amsa and Ketu in Gopura Amsa.

The confusion is how will Ke behave? Like Me or Sk or Ma? How can that be determined? Ke being in Ta can be considered debilitated but is that the only factor here? Any pointers on how that can be read will be of great help.

Regards,
Venkat

Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Saindhavi » 17 May 2012

Venkatji,

I have gone through the long Rahu Mahadasha and haven't finished the Jupiter Mahadasha yet, so I can only speak from my own experience of what is called Rahu-Jupiter Mahadasha Sandhi.

From what I have experienced, I don't think the so-called flux in the Sandhi phase really operates - not in my life at least. What I have seen is that often we calculate only till Pratyantar and we miss the Sukshmantar effects. Very often, significant life events take place because of the Sukshmantar of a powerful planet in one's chart.

For example, if one is going through Saturn-Jupiter-Jupiter and Jupiter is very good in one's chart, this period should be more or less good, if Saturn is not malefic in the chart. But suddenly, some problem may arise without any prior indication and one may wonder how this happened. On close examination, one may realise that this was the Rahu Sukshmantar within Jupiter Pratyantar that did the damage.

I speak from my own experience - I have gone through the Mahadasha-Antardasha-Pratyantar of 3 benefic planets, all of them good in my chart and have faced sudden irreversible problems, because this happened to be the Sukshmantar of Rahu running at that time - and the event synchronised with the exact date and time when Rahu Sukshmantar began to operate. This is because Rahu is both malefic and powerful in my chart.

My Rahu-Mars-Moon was not as bad as my Rahu-Sun for example, because my Moon is in a good combination, while my Sun is malefic. This was not because Jupiter's energy had begun to mix with Rahu's energy - I wish this was the case.

In the same way, Rahu has continued to give me malefic results even in Jupiter Mahadasha in its Pratyantar and Sukshmantar, even if other Dashas within Jupiter Mahadashas are benefic, because my Rahu is malefic. Only, the damage it causes doesn't destabilise me the way it did in Rahu Mahadasha.

This is because of the nature of Rahu in my chart and its short pratyantar and Sukshmantar effects and not because Rahu Mahadasha's energy is still mixing with my Jupiter Mahadasha.

So, we should see the whole chart and keep it in mind that all planets give their effects at all times; only planets involved in Mahadasha-Antardasha-Pratyantar-Sukshmantar periods will have a stronger effect during their periods of influence. The immediate events in our daily lives are governed more by the pratyantar and Sukshmantar planets than by Mahadasha and Antardasha planets, which give a longer-term effect.

Personally, I don't think the coming Mahadasha mixes its energy with the expiring Mahadasha or that an expired Mahadasha's energy continues into the onsetting Mahadasha.

Besides, my Rahu and Venus are conjunct, but my Rahu didn't behave like Venus during Rahu Mahadasha - I wish it had behaved like Venus; that would have been really good for me, but it didn't. So, I'm not sure that Rahu and Ketu always take the nature of the planets they are conjunct with.

My Rahu behaves very much like Rahu and my Ketu behaves like Ketu only.

At least this hasn't happened with me.
Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Saindhavi » 17 May 2012

PS - to above

I can't say how your Ketu Mahadasha would be without seeing the whole chart. But I feel Ketu-Ketu may not be too good for you. For the rest of the Ketu Mahadasha, I'll need to see your whole chart.

But doing some remedy for Ketu would be benefic for you. You may recite Ganesha Atharvashirsha daily, offering red flowers to Lord Ganesha.
Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

charvak

Post by charvak » 17 May 2012

My rahu dasa was good for my job it given me solid background for my future. some problems also given but not so difficult.Rahu & ketu dasa depends on dispositor's placement.if dispositer is in 10 house it will be good for profession.Some astrologer give correct prediction on the base of transis of Rahu only.I believe Rahu & ketu to be studied deeply in a chart to know the strength of chart.

astroKid_84

Post by astroKid_84 » 01 Jun 2012

Does everyone here use 360 days or 365 days for the MD calculation? This will also obviously affect the Sandhi or transition time frame when we check with real-life events.

Cheers.

rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvenkats » 03 Jun 2012

365 days.