Good books or sources on use of divisional charts

For discussion on divisional charts: navamsha, drekkana, saptamsha, dashamsha, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor
Good books or sources on use of divisional charts

Post by tejomaya » 30 Aug 2017

can anyone recommend good books or other sources for learning about divisional harts ? Is Comprehensive Prediction by Divisional Charts – by V.P. Goel a good book ? Is it detailed enough for a person to learn from ?

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Good books or sources on use of divisional charts

Post by ChandraLagna » 31 Aug 2017

That particular book, and indeed most, if not all books depict vargas as "charts" that can be analyzed just like as rasi chart. That is incorrect. Anytime you see or read a varga being analyzed like rasi charts with houses, or aspects or yogas, you can be sure it is not the astrology as written by the ancient sages.

One refreshing book I can mention is by C S Patel which is worth a read.
--भज गोविन्दं... भज गोविन्दं...गोविन्दं भज, मूढमते --

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

Surya_1
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Surya_1 » 31 Aug 2017

ChandraLagna wrote:
31 Aug 2017
That particular book, and indeed most, if not all books depict vargas as "charts" that can be analyzed just like as rasi chart. That is incorrect. Anytime you see or read a varga being analyzed like rasi charts with houses, or aspects or yogas, you can be sure it is not the astrology as written by the ancient sages.

You are refering to this book right?
https://www.amazon.in/Predicting-throug ... 8170821916

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by ChandraLagna » 31 Aug 2017

Yes, or an alternative book Navamsa in Astrology. There is overlap of material between the two.

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tejomaya » 01 Sep 2017

[quote=ChandraLagna post_id=242748 time=1504186154 user_id=4509]

[/quote]

This differs from what I have read elsewhere and applied successfully a few times. What is the approach to be followed as per your tradition ? It would be very helpful if you could illustrate or point out where I can read more about this( in addition to this book). Is your approach same as in the Nadi method ?

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by ChandraLagna » 01 Sep 2017

Tejomaya - this is not my tradition, but the tradition of classical astrology. The practice of reading navamsa or other vargas as independent chart is a fairly modern convolution. You can read more about this in this very same forum and section on Divisionals where there is a raging thread that has just been revived again. You can also search on this forum where I, among a very handful of others, have also written some posts questioning the validity of considering vargas as charts by themselves.

Just ponder on this example that I had written on that thread.

Assume Jupiter at Aries 29 deg and Moon at 11 Deg taurus, i.e. they are 12 deg away.

Hence moon and Jupiter form Shakata yoga.

Now in Navamsa Jupiter gets placed in Sagittarius navamsa and Moon in Aries navamsa, so now in Navamsa "chart", Jupiter aspects Moon via 5th drishti. How can jupiter aspect something which is 12 deg away??

If this aspect of 12 deg in rasi cannot happen, then Jupiter cannot aspect Moon in Navamsa "chart". Simple.

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 01 Sep 2017

If we look further at the Moon's strength in the divisional charts, we'll see that the Moon is located in the angular 7th house in the Navamsha chart, and aspected by the 9th and 10th lords, Saturn and Jupiter. In the dashamsha chart the pattern repeats. The Moon becomes the 1st lord located in the 10th house, aspected by the 5th and 10th lord, Mars, and the 9th lord, Jupiter.
http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ve ... alian-open
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by ChandraLagna » 01 Sep 2017

Anuradha,
Your post does not answer my question does it ? Please dont drag in what someone says without adding your own reasoning.

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 01 Sep 2017

Mr Moderator, Its your personal opinion, right or wrong is the choice of reader. I have just given the link of the article where the owner of site has used the aspect in Navmansha. regards
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

GNE
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by GNE » 02 Sep 2017

To tejomaya:
I found an easy way to read navamsa not as a chart is to treat it like many people treat "nakshatra lord" readings.
What I mean is, like how some say for example: " Jupiter is placed in Rohini nakshatra, which is lorded by moon....so then we see where moon is placed and declare that jupiter is giving some results of that placement(mainly in it's dasha) "

So for navamsa just see it like, say for a Cancer rising native, jupiter is placed in Leo....but in navamsa it is in libra.
So then you can say jupiter is also giving some results of the 4th house (libra for the cancer rising native).

Further you can see how many houses jupiter has moved from it's position - in this case it went from Leo to Libra...so is in the 3rd from itself. So some general 3rd house effect may be there too related to the things jupiter already is representing in that chart (based on lordship/yoga,etc)

This is ultra basic and likely only scratching the surface , and I'm sorry if it sounds confusing, but if you like you can try reading some charts this way for a while and see if you come up with accurate reading/predictions. It is not concepts I am making up, but have taken from books like that by CS Patel. I am just explaining it in a very basic and not so professional way here. lol

Also the concept of "navamsa lords" is very important in many yoga + planet strengths...
things like: " If the navamsa lord of the 10th lord is in a kendra = gives power/status,etc. (especially if said lord is strong by sign) "
By navamsa lord, It means just : See a planet in D1....now see what d9 sign it is in = whoever lords that sign is the D1 planet's navamsa lord. Now check how that lord is placed in D1.

ex: cancer rising with moon in Scorpio in D1 ....but in D9 it is in Leo.
So now see where sun is placed in D1, if sun was in Aries (exalted in 10th) then that very much helps the strength of moon+lagna, and may give yoga results in the dasha of Sun-Moon / Moon-Sun.

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tejomaya » 03 Sep 2017

Chandralagna,GNE,Anuradha,

Thank you for your response. Particular thanks to GNE for the explanation.

All-What has your personal experience been using either technique for prediction ? Does either approach work better or fall flat in application if you have tried before ?

GNE
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by GNE » 04 Sep 2017

The way I wrote has worked well for me in knowing effects of dasha's. I'd say it's been very accurate with my family/friends+friend of friends charts I've used it on.

Like marriage could happen (assuming the chart itself shows yoga's for marriage and not denial / extreme delay) during the MD-AD or PD period of a planet which is in the navamsa sign of the Rasi's 7th house.
Same with marriage (or finding love/dating someone) happening during the transit when jupiter goes over the sign which is the navamsa sign of the rasi lagna lord or 7th lord.
This has worked well for me.

But I don't do much chart readings, so will wait for other members to answer your question hopefully with more examples and depth.