Vargottama without Rasi and/or Navamsa - Is it Applicable?

For discussion on divisional charts: navamsha, drekkana, saptamsha, dashamsha, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Vargottama without Rasi and/or Navamsa - Is it Applicable?

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 27 Mar 2009

Hi

When Vedic astrologers talk about Vargottama of a planet, they usually mean the planet placed in the same sign on the Rasi and Navamsa. But is it applicable when the Rasi and/or Navamsa is not involved? And what if one is involved and not the other or both are involved together with other secondary divisions. What does it mean and does it work?

There are actually two kinds of Vargottama - by sign and by hosue. Let's discuss each one in turn.

Sign Vargottama
-------------------

This is the Vargottama we are familiar with. Vargottama literally means the best division. So it is the best regardless what are the houses the planets are ruling including the Rasi (of course again we have to exclude Dusthana Houses unless the house is a Karya house for that divisional chart like the 6th for the Dasamsa). The more signs coincidence across charts, the higher the score (goodness) for that planet. This has been well documented in all the classical texts.

On top of that, it means that once the Dasa of that planet kicks in, the activation of the planet kicks in pretty fast. It is as if the charts are linked by a magnetic chain. Windfall that comes with an unexpected heavy shower on you. The goodness of the theme for that divisional chart for which the planet has Vargottama (constrained by the areas of application via the planet's rulership of the houses in that chart) would be mixed with the other themes of the other divisonal charts to come up with a composite theme for the person to experience in that period.

I would say if the Navamsa is not involved, the good experience would be somewhat lessened as Navamsa represents the fortune of the individual. Unless the planet is a trinal lord in the Rasi (and secondarily a trinal lord in Navamsa).

If Rasi is not involved there are two effects :

(1) The composite theme would not affect so much your physical well-being so directly. After all the Rasi is the first in the series of the divisional charts dealing with your material existence in this world. This of course can be compensated if the planet happens to rule the Kendra. The effects can also be lessened in strength as the Rasi is the mother of all charts.

(2) The activation would be less quick. The Rasi is like the locomotive of the train that determine the steering of the whole train. So if Rasi is not involved, you may have to wait for some time for the good effects to occur. Not unless the planet concerned happens to rule the Ascendant, Moon or Sun (in that decreasing order of powerfulness).

So barring the above factors, the effects can still be experienced.

By the way for divisonal charts, the 2nd and 11th houses are considered good houses and the 3rd house not good unless it is a Karya house for that divisional chart. All other houses as mentioned earlier the classification is the same as that for Rasi.

Bhava Vargottama
---------------------

It is similar to Sign Vargottama except that now the planets are placed in the same house across divisional charts. It is as powerful as Sign Vargottama. In some ways it can even be more powerful if the house involved is the 9th or the 5th. But is highly focused - just like the 9th of the Rasi deals with your religious teacher and 9th of Dasamsa deals with your boss - both are your teachers : you get to imbibe knowledge. The Argala houses for each chart also stay the same. There is more synchronicity across charts than at first blush.

But the activation is slower at the start of the dasa period for that planet concerned - after all they are not linked by signs.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Krishna

Hi Krishna

The ariticle is written by G K Goel and I got the article from joining one of the [No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum] Discussion groups on Vedic Astrology. You can search the net for the article or email to me at khoohockloeng @ ymail. com to get a copy of the article. However, this article only mentioned in passing about Bhava Vargottama. Below is the quotation of the paragraph which mentioned about this :

[quote]

BHAVA VARGOTTAMA GIVE EXCELLENT RESULTS. If a planet is bhava
vargottama in D-9 chart will give marriage,D-3 co-born ,D-24 education etc irrespective of house placement,,

[unquote]

Thanks.

Hock Leong
Last edited by Khoo Hock Leong on 03 Apr 2009, edited 2 times in total.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Moon, Mercury and Combustion

Hi

I would also like to add that Moon and Mercury are always benefics in Dvisional Charts. There is no concept of Mercury associating with malefics becoming malefic or the dark Moon or the Moon close to the Sun.

Combustion of planets in divisional charts are not applicable. Neither is planetary war.

All the above concepts relate to the Rasi only.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Maharani
Contributor
Contributor

Bhava vargottama

Post by Maharani » 29 Mar 2009

Dear Koo Hock,

This is interesting and thanks for bringing it up: I noticed I have planets vargottama BOTH by sign (Mars, Jupiter) AND bhava (mercury) in my navamsa but have never seen any discussion of the latter state. I must say I wondered what it meant, if anything.

My birth data are February 17, 1955, 6pm Mumbai India if you want to check.

In a few of my varga charts Rahu and Ketu are conjunct, which I know never happens in "real life"-what does that mean?

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Maharani

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 29 Mar 2009

Hi Maharani

Mercury having Bhava Vargottama in Navamsa means that Navamsa which stands for wife, skills and fortune gives a wife that is intelligent, skills that are analytical and fortune pertaining to commerce or the professions. In what areas of life these aspects of life would be honed in would be indicated by the placement of Mercury in which Bhava in the Navamsa. So if Mercury is in the 11th, your wife is your friend, your skills are applied for group benefits and your fortune in commerce or the professions brings you gains to cite an example.

Rahu and Ketu cannot conjunct in Rasi but it can conjunct in a divisional chart because of how each chart is constructed (by divisions). Rahu and Ketu represent the 'armies' in planetary pantheon. Rahu rules heightened awareness, the supernatural etc. whereas Ketu represents enlightenment and subtle awareness. If they are both found in a particular house in a chart, and if other planetary placements in other houses of the chart are strong, they can add further support in terms of strength to the other planets by providing the nessary strong 'five'senses pertaining to that area of life represented by that divisional chart both for the house placement they are in and for the other planets' house placements.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Maharani : Exact Birth Time

Hi Maharani

What is your exact birth time? Is it 6 pm or 535 pm or earlier? 6 pm gives a Leo Ascendant. 535 pm and earlier gives a Cancer Ascendant. You must give your exact birth time.

Based on the earlier posts you feedback (on the reults I give plus on your planetary positions and signs) and I confirmed and further predicted the finer details, you should have a Cancer Ascendant and not Leo Ascendant.

Your Mars and Jupiter are Vargottama by signs (in Rasi and Navamsa) but your Mercury is not Bhava Vargottama. Which charts are you referring to when you said that your Mercury is Bhava Vargottama?

Mars and Jupiter Vargottama by signs is very good. Jupiter with Mars always enhance Jupiter's fortune and Mar's idealism, so a person reaches very far in corporate life.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Time Zone

Hi Maharani

The other reason could be that the time in Mumbai is not adjusted in line with its longtitude like Singapore before 1983. It may even be now, Mubai's time zone is slightly off with respect to its longtitude.

Mabye you can give me the exact time like +7 hours 30 minutes East of GMT etc.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Maharani
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maharani » 01 Apr 2009

5:30-cancer asc fits me much better than leo.

The navamsa chart I have has Mercury in Leo in 7, vargottama by position (bhava). Navamsa asc aquarius. Rahu in 6 is also bhava vargottama.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Maharani

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 03 Apr 2009

Hi

I have adjusted your timing until both Mercury and Rahu is Bhava Vargottama which means 5 05 pm.

Since you are not married, Mercury would apply to your professional mates since from your post I can see you are a career man. I think the workers treat you as a best friend - someone whom they can confide to? Your working colleagues and workers under you are generally intelligent in knowing what you want (Mercury in 7th and it rules 6th and the 9th in Navamsa).

Rahu in 6th Bhava Vargottama means you are an ingenious worker. There is something about how you work (including even crafting a corporate strategy - assuming you do that) tha always infuse new ideas into the corporation. The company is blessed with a worker like you in its fold and in turn you are much sought after as someone who is expert in one's field of work.

Note that Navamsa stands for skills and fortune in general. Not just the wife. So when a planet is Bhava Vargottama in Navamsa, that planet's fortune and skill is found in the areas of the house where it is placed and those houses which it rules. More so than the sign Vargottama where the planet can be placed in different houses in the different divisional charts where it is Vargottama.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Maharani

Hi Maharani

Anothing thing I forgot to add about Bhava Vargottama is that since it is in different signs in different vargras, the talent in that house may manifest in different ways (styles).

For example in your Rasi, Rahu is in Sagittarius. This means when people come into contact with you they see that you are a good long-range planner. But when they get to know you better, they find that the secret to your success in long range planning is that you are able to able to make use of people's talents (I would not use the term 'nurture' here since it is Rahu we are talking about and not the Moon). It borders on psychic in understanding people's strengths and weaknesses.

All this is assuming that your actual birth time is like what you said with both Mercury and Rahu Vargottama.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

SUNIL DUTT

bhava vargottam

Post by SUNIL DUTT » 03 Apr 2009

SIR, I AM IMPRESSED WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON VEDIC ASTROLOGY, PL. GIVE SOME REFERENCE OF B.V[SINCE I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT]. REGARDS. SUNIL DUTT

Maharani
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maharani » 03 Apr 2009

Thanks Koo Hock,

That was a very interesting post and response-bhava vargottama is rarely addressed. By the way, I'm a woman-hence "maharani"-you describe me as a "career man" in your response. Actually I am a career woman.

RE understanding and utilizing people's talents, I have been blessed in that regard, having usually had good subordinates and excellent workplace morale and operations. I think I am a good boss and comfortable with having authority.

Re strategy for my group-I try to be creative and outthink the opposition-because I am very different from the usual type of person in my field, I try to do things in a new way, using new ideas and thinking outside the box.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Sunil

Hi Sunil

Thanks for your interest in my blog.

The article is by G K Goel which I got from a [No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum] group. Actually the article only set aside one paragraph for explaining Bhava Vargottama (but the main prinicple is there). I reproduce here that paragraph as I did to Krishna :

[quote]

BHAVA VARGOTTAMA GIVE EXCELLENT RESULTS. If a planet is bhava vargottama in D-9 chart will give marriage, D-3 co-born, D-24 education etc irrespective of house placement.

[unquote]

So in the case of D-9 it would also give skills. But in relation to what? The article did not explain. It would actually be in relation to the house which the planet is Bhava Vargottama in. Neither did the article explain about the different styles of the planet in different vargras where it is Bhava Vargottama but in different signs.

Most of the ideas in this post are my own.

If you want the article I can email to you. You can email to me at khoohockleong @ ymail. com. (No spaces in between). Otherwise you can try searching the net first.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Ashok
Contributor
Contributor

Case Study: Bhava Vargottama in 15 divisional charts

Post by Ashok » 08 Apr 2009

Hi Khoo and all,

See chart of native born at 0740 hrs, December 9, 1956, Bangalore, India
(Time: + 5 1/2 hrs East of GMT)

The person has Mercury in Lagna in Rasi, Navamsa, D2 (as per Kashinath Hora), D3, D4, D5, D6, D8, D10, D12, D16, D20, D24, D27, D30

Khoo and other learned respondents are invited to respond to results of Mercury Mahadasha now running with special emphasis on his Bhava Vargottama in Lagna in 15 divisional charts from D1 to D30.

Regards,

Ashok

bali1938
Donor
Donor

Post by bali1938 » 11 Apr 2009

what if bhava vargottama pertains to eighth house?

Mercury is vargottama for libra ascendant. Howeever since it is the 8th house under question how does it affect the person??

Birth place-Chennai
time-16:32
date-21.5.2008

ashu0052

Re: Vargottama without Rasi and/or Navamsa - Is it Applicabl

Post by ashu0052 » 16 Jun 2011

Thank You KHOOJI,
For bringing such concept in light I have my lagna lord saturn in 10th house which happens to be bhave vargottama in D-10 what could be the possible effect of such Saturn.

Date of Birth 30/03/1985
Time 04.48
Place Kolkata(West Bengal)

Please guide Sir I would be very thankful.
Regards
Ashu

Vic DiCara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vic DiCara » 06 Jul 2011

Khoo Hock Leong wrote:There are actually two kinds of Vargottama - by sign and by hosue. Let's discuss each one in turn.
Dear Khoo Hock Leong,

Would you please be so kind as to tell me/us where you are getting this information from. As far as I am aware I have directly read Parashara stating that the ASCENDEANT is "vargottama" when its navamsha rashi is the same as its ksetra rashi. Can you give a sastric reference for a definition of vargottama pertaining to planets? Can you give a sastric reference for a definition of vargottama pertaining to houses???
Your servant,
Vic DiCara / व्रज किशोर दास
~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~ ~・~

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 07 Jul 2011

Dear Vic

Please refer to Shilpa's post (which came after mine) under Planets and Nakshatras.

In it she mentioned that it is possible to have Vargottama between Rasi and the other divisional charts and not just Navamsa. For the lower order charts like D1, D2, D3 and D4, the effect is less but vargottama between the Rasi and the higher order charts like D12, D-16, D-30, D-60 etc. the effect is greatest.

Of course classics only mention between Rasi and Navamsa. And Navamsa being one of the divisonal charts that is primarily read as an overall chart, the emphasis of Vargottama on this chart is understandable.

Thanks.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

rrr1519
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrr1519 » 17 Jul 2011

Dear Khoo,

Hello,

I am having Rahu in ascendant in Rasi and all the divisional charts.

I suppose it is auspicious for Rasi.

How do you consider this bhava vargottama of Rahu being in ascendant in all charts (16/11/75, 06:45 AM, Mumbai)

Regards
RRR

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 18 Jul 2011

This is definitely a chart I must look into. I will let you know later.

rrr1519
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrr1519 » 22 Jul 2011

Dear Khoo,

I am eagerly awaiting your analysis.

Please do look into it. :)

Regards
RRR

2002diksha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by 2002diksha » 27 Jul 2011

sir,
i have a chart in which venus and moon is in lagna in D-1 and most of divisional charts.does this bhava vargottam of venus and moon in lagna give any special power to the native or it is just a ordinary observation
thanks

sourav.6600

Post by sourav.6600 » 20 Jun 2015

Hello Khoo,
I am virgo ascendant and vargottama lagna in d9 and d7 chart. Saturn, Jupiter and Moon are also vargottama in d9. How it will affect my life?