DRIK VS SRI SURYA SIDDHANTA .

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Nitin21
Re: DRIK VS SRI SURYA SIDDHANTA .

Post by Nitin21 » 04 Mar 2011

differences e.g.:

1. Rasi charts who have degrees of planets on borderlines can make hughe difference. E.g. Mars at 29 deg in saggi is way too different analysis than 1 degree in capricorn. Now in analysis some astrologer of repute may preditc true because mars aspects the 7th house from it anyways. In one case it is via 8th aspect and in second it is via 7th aspect. So queries related to unchanged bhava may not undergo change. But what if such mars is 12th to lagna in drik and and exalted in lagna in Sss and the query is about appearance and scars etc on body ? ... I know my colleagues are smart so wont dwell much on this.

2. Similarly what if in navamsa in drik merc is vargottama in aquarius and via sss it falls in pisces ?. Can anyone give accurate result ? Obviously by drik period proposed would be terrific and id it went wrong then bad karma came into picture OR the BTR ? .... But for the same chart the prediction about work related karaka which is exactly at mid point degree comes true. Did that mean Drik Or Sss was true ? .

Truth is in fundamentals not in perceptions. Fundamentals of SSS are very strong with regards to mean and true positions of planets with regards to Sun and moon.

these are just light examples and the way we have been ridiculing divine vidya of jyotish.

More to come .......

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 04 Mar 2011

Swamy Cool Ji ,

I just picked up the "Greatness of saturn" after our conversation and stumbled upon something interesting which might help jiggle our brains a little,

Svoboda writes in page 220 and I quote verbatim,

Jyotish sees little use in attempting to trace by any means other than Mythic the development of myths of the 9 planets . The moon in Jyotish is the decendent of the vedic moon , and like all decendents it is clearely different from it's progenitors even as it possesses some of the same external characteristics . What is truly similar about the earlier and the later Moons is it's Mythic life force, which is only partially visible from without . we must locate this force where it is now , not where it used to be , if we wish to collect it .we cannot know if in vedic times , brihaspathi always signified the planet Guru , or ushana's always signified the planet Shukra . all we can be sure about is that some life force has been inherited by Jupiter and some of Ushanas's essence by Venus .
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 05 Mar 2011

Sonu ji,
How was muhurata for Mahabharata War calculated ? It is said that Sahadev and Karna were also great astrologers.

If the muhurta of the Kurukshetra War was calculated at all, they would have used Paitamaha Siddhanta (the oldest and lost Siddhanta referred to in the Panchasiddhantika of Varahamihir) and not SS.

Anyway, one must not forget that the reason Drik Siddhanta was promulgated because various Mahamahopadhyays of Jyotish Shashtra realised and articulated the need for a full correction of the almanac, especially because the yogas and tithis were going wrong. And thus Parameswaran Namboodri of Prashna Marga practically reinvented the wheel and created a new siddhanta as visible to the naked eye. These men were not irreligious (in fact many of them were extremely devout) and they were not influenced by western ideas - Western astrology uses the sayana or tropical zodiac while jyotish uses the nirayana or sidereal.

I am currently fiddling with the SS using my own chart to begin with. The Dasha timings are going slightly off by a few months to a year. And the events cannot be explained by the MD-AD-PD combinations that are thrown up by the SS. Also there are serious changes in the Navamsha, leave alone other varga charts. My navamsha actually improves. Venus from being debilitated in Kanya goes into his own H in Tula in the 8th Nav. I have a strong Venus in D-1 in the 7th with a friend (Mer) and in its own Nk, Bharani, in the Navamsha if I have a Venus as 8th L in his own H and Mooltrikone (Tula) life would be just hunky-dory in the Venus MD. I should be rolling in it. But unfortunately my Venus MD running since 1997 has given me a roller coster ride and a truckload of disappointments and health problems to boot. This is just a small example, there are many others.

Well this is one problem which cannot solved by debate. Scholars have been debating it for 1000 years and will do so for the next 1000. Lets us use both and tally the results, only then can some tangible benefits arise out of this confusion. :)

regards
swamykool
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

map
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by map » 05 Mar 2011

Dear All,

Total solar eclipse occured on 22nd July, 2009 in Varanasi at 6-24 AM and lasted for 6 mins approx. as per astronomy.
If you look into the longitudes of the Sun and moon at 6-24 AM in Varanasi, Sun's longitude is 5 deg 22 min and that of the Moon's is 4 deg 22 min as per astrology softwares. Sun and Moon longitudes must be the same at the time of total eclipse. The longitudes are same only at 8-05 AM as shown by astrology softwares. There is an error of 1hr-30 mins. Further the softwares show thithi as Padyami or pratipada at 8-06 AM only. Because at 6-45 AM it should have been well into padyami ( by astronomy). How reliable are the calculations of the longitudes in astrology softwares? How do these errors affect divisional charts? What about errors in nakshatra calculations then?

A person born at 7 Am has amavashya thithi. Is it not wrong?
Please look into this.

regards
map

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 05 Mar 2011

If the muhurta of the Kurukshetra War was calculated at all, they would have used Paitamaha Siddhanta (the oldest and lost Siddhanta referred to in the Panchasiddhantika of Varahamihir) and not SS.
I am only discounting the superiority of Drik and not other Siddhantas. We can debate on other siddhantas only if info is available, if it is not, then we cannot talk about it. Surya Siddhanta is a very old one. If our rishis could determine the exact placements without any sophisticated tools like in todays world, then I do not see a reason for us to glorify drik with so many errors. Infact, we were more accurate with the old Siddhantas. As I said, I am not against Drik. It just does not walk the full path. SS does.

And thus Parameswaran Namboodri of Prashna Marga practically reinvented the wheel and created a new siddhanta as visible to the naked eye.
Sir are you sure what is visible to naked eyes is the truth ? For years we have been made to believe that earth is spherical and is hanging in space. Humans evolved from apes. Our civilization is x.y million years old. Earth revolves round the sun... All these elements visible to naked eye have been turned to be spurious and full of faults.
I am currently fiddling with the SS using my own chart to begin with. The Dasha timings are going slightly off by a few months to a year. And the events cannot be explained by the MD-AD-PD combinations that are thrown up by the SS. Also there are serious changes in the Navamsha, leave alone other varga charts. My navamsha actually improves. Venus from being debilitated in Kanya goes into his own H in Tula in the 8th Nav. I have a strong Venus in D-1 in the 7th with a friend (Mer) and in its own Nk, Bharani, in the Navamsha if I have a Venus as 8th L in his own H and Mooltrikone (Tula) life would be just hunky-dory in the Venus MD. I should be rolling in it. But unfortunately my Venus MD running since 1997 has given me a roller coster ride and a truckload of disappointments and health problems to boot. This is just a small example, there are many others.
the analysis could be subjective. Have you seen Basab's chart. He is running dasha of Venus which is placed in own house and he is far from happy. There must be more to it than just what you mentioned. It requires a fuller analysis. And needless to mention the time has to be not on borderline too. If you can share the details, we can discuss.
Well this is one problem which cannot solved by debate. Scholars have been debating it for 1000 years and will do so for the next 1000. Lets us use both and tally the results, only then can some tangible benefits arise out of this confusion. :)
YEs I already mentioned that we are ineligible to debate on this. But should accept fundamentals as laid by our tradition and not by perceptional instruments of kaliyuga, which are yet to give us correct results. Most of the times assumptions are maneuvered around in such experiments to get results.

Best Regards
Sonu

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 05 Mar 2011

@ swamykool- Would appreciate it if could write down ur birth details in this thread if ur comfortable ,so that members could analyze it

thx
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 05 Mar 2011

Map ji , A very Good day to you ,

You wrote ,
by map » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm
Dear All,
Total solar eclipse occured on 22nd July, 2009 in Varanasi at 6-24 AM and lasted for 6 mins approx. as per astronomy.
If you look into the longitudes of the Sun and moon at 6-24 AM in Varanasi, Sun's longitude is 5 deg 22 min and that of the Moon's is 4 deg 22 min as per astrology softwares. Sun and Moon longitudes must be the same at the time of total eclipse. The longitudes are same only at 8-05 AM as shown by astrology softwares. There is an error of 1hr-30 mins. Further the softwares show thithi as Padyami or pratipada at 8-06 AM only. Because at 6-45 AM it should have been well into padyami ( by astronomy). How reliable are the calculations of the longitudes in astrology softwares? How do these errors affect divisional charts? What about errors in nakshatra calculations then?
Please look into this.
you have bought up a extremely interesting point . Yes , the degree shown by all softwares is indeed like you have mentioned . I switched over to SSS which threw the moon to 3 deg 46 . It made things worse .
Now note this my dear friends, set J hora 7.51 to Drik sidhanta and chance the geocentric setting to Topocentric setting and check the degrees . The sun is at 5 Deg 23 and Moon is the same at 5 Deg 22 . Just like Map ji said it should be .
So now we have it clear . At least this problem is solved once for all . If we are going to stick with Drik Siddhanta , The setting has to be Topocentric . I owe a Big thank you to Map ji for bringing this to light . Thank you sir . You have indeed done me a great Favour . I owe you one . :) .
In fact Swamy Cool ji and me had a long discussion on this and we had decided to stick to a Topocentric setting . Map ji just gave us scientific proof .

At least some thing came good out of this thread . :P . I am happy . :)
Best regard's
Deepak .
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

map
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by map » 05 Mar 2011

Deepak ji and Swamycool ji,

Thanx to both of you.

regards
map

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 05 Mar 2011

My pleasure Map ji . But this by any means does not prove the Drik Vs SSS debate . My heart strings are tugging towards SSS , and for a Very good reason . I believe in the Soul of a planet and I also rely largly on Mythology to understand my astrology . I for some reason still believe that Lord Shani is sitting somewhere and watching this whole world . I also believe that Chandra indeed has 27 wives and his muse is indeed Rohini . SSS is based on the sae Funda , " we measure the position of the Soul or the etheral being not the physical body . Mind is saying Drik , the Soul is saying SSS . I am confused . :cry: :cry: :cry:

chaks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by chaks » 05 Mar 2011

Take a middle course and go with sayana :D

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 05 Mar 2011

Take a middle course and go with sayana
Unfortunately, the readings will also go up the middle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 05 Mar 2011

map wrote:Dear All,

Please look into this.

regards
map
Dear Mapji,

Tithis do not go hand in hand with Sunrise to sunrise combinations of the day. So, just like the way, we get dwadashi tithi even on ekadashi day in the evening post 18:00 hours approx, Amavasya tithi also lasts per the tithi definition and not by Sunrise to sunrise definition. So, the software will show as Amavasaya tithi only. If you actually observe the longitude of the planets in Jhora they both get equal at 8:26:22 seconds via SSS, at a longitude of 94.989. This will coincide moon and sun degress to 4'59 in cancer. Till this time it is Amavasya tithi. The moment you shift one more second it will shift to next tithi. If you take the same case via Drik the time goes to 8:05:8 AM, with exact longitude of 95.453 and sun and moon degrees will be 5'27 degrees.

The moment you change the default setting to topocentric. These same settings will give you different parameters. Meaning the tithi will not change at 8:26:22.

Now to verify, go to panchanga tab under Miscellaneous options to see till what time Amavasya tithi lasts. For topocentric it lasts till 6:26 AM and for Geocentric beyond 8:05 AM. This is for Drik. If you go back to SSS and open the panchanga tab, the Amavasya tithi will last till 8:26 AM.

In any case Amvasya tithi will last till the different parameters signified by different Siddhantas.

Taking topocentric or Geocentric is a matter of choice and as you can see with results neither of them confirm to as truth. Both will give different parameters under different times.

The reason for that is the place from which we are calculating and hence the lag.

This is where the difference in calculations comes. On 24 Oct 1995 Solar eclipse too, the degrees of longitude were not exact even by drik or SSS. The correct time to be taken still remains a mystery. WHY ?

Observe the position of Ketu which causes the eclipse. In any clipse the Node will be with Sun and moon also, as it is the one which causes the eclipse to happen. With so much distance and visibility to naked eye and instruments with default variance of +/- some percent, the eclipse wil still be an eclipse, even if Sun and Moon are facing each other with marginal difference. WHY ? Because Ketu/Rahu makes up for it for being in between. And why can we not take Sun and Moon as exact degrees ? Because they are not of the same size and are not exact points of consideration. Add to it, one of the nodes comes in between.

The degrees may not be exact of Sun and Moon in such eclipse at time (and still it may appear as total eclipse), which is measured by todays instruments, as we all know the most perfect instrument also has a variance of measurement +/- some %. But there was no such difference/variance as per SSS Panchangas used by our Rishis. Do you see any option to change to topo-geo centric position in SSS model ? WHY ? Because it is complete in itself.

We also need to take into consideration that Shri PVR is still going through the amendments and will continue to do so based on our feedback for next few months. So, we should wait for bug fixes also, as have been done in 7.5.1 version.

Trust this adds to the ideas.

Regards
Sonu

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 05 Mar 2011

Sonuji,
if you may remember, i asked about the ethereal bodies of the grahas in another post. since its related to this topic, could you throw some light on this?
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

map
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by map » 06 Mar 2011

Sonu ji,

Thanx for your views. I completely agree that thithi is not from sunrise to sunrise. Any amavasya thithi can be taken for discussion but for exactness i have chosen total solar eclipse time because astronomers tell us the exact time of the occurrence of total eclipse at a place. My point is whichever panchanga we use or whatever siddhanta we follow, the longitudes of sun and moon must coincide at the time of total solar eclipse given by astronomers be it drik or sss. If astrology is science it must reflect the phenomenon in the skies. The amavasya thithi changes to padyami the next second the longitudes of Sun and moon become equal in any siddhanta. It may be any time in the day( not from sunrise to sunrise). Therefore be it DRIK or SSS, the longitudes must coincide for amavasya to end and for padyami to begin. Kindly check this.

regards
map

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 06 Mar 2011

map wrote:It may be any time in the day( not from sunrise to sunrise). Therefore be it DRIK or SSS, the longitudes must coincide for amavasya to end and for padyami to begin. Kindly check this.
Sirji that's what precisely i have explained above. But the point you have raised is that AT VARANASI THE DEGREES SHOULD BE EQUAL. AT 6:26 AM.

Now let's try to understand how that can be possible by understanding the phenomenon of measurement.

1. If we take Geocentric then Varanasi may or may not have equal degrees. Why ? Because now the measurement is from the center of the earth and not from Varanasi. This is what Geocentric means. So, to get Equal degrees in Geocentric position we must take city which is on center of earth, possibly right in the middle of the equator. If we see from Varanasi it will have a tangent because the degrees are measured with respect to a particular place and not from center of the earth. So, in this case if you move city from Varanasi to London at the same time (i.e. by deducting 4:30 hours from 6:26 i.e. 1:56 AM), you will still get the same degrees. :) Why ? because the measurement is from center of the earth, so it does not matter which location you are putting the degrees of Sun and moon will be the same.

2. How can we get equal degrees with respect to astronomical guidance ? It is said 6:26 am is time from Varanasi where eclipse will be seen. This mean the Sun and moon will align such that at that time, it will be visible in those regions at that time. The moment time moves further, it is some other place from which the equal degrees of Sun and moon will be seen. Why ? Because in this option we are seeing it from a particular place and not evaluating it from the center of the earth. So, as soon as you make your setting to topocentric you get exactly 5'xy degrees, as astroboy explained. Now shift the place to London with time change as per option 1. You will changes in degrees. The degrees that were equal in Varanasi are no more equal in London. Why ? Because the measurement is from A SPECIFIC PLACE. Why is it given that an eclipse at a specific place will happen a particular point of time. Why not a single time for all places ? the points 1 and 2 are the answer.

These two are Drik Options. Now comes the core part. Is this the correct way of measuring ? This is where SSS differs from Drik. SSS does not take topocentric or Geocentric options into consideration but the movement is referred to as amongst the planets revolving on their own orbit owing to PRAVAHA VAYU (not gravitational force) with Sun moving around Meru. I wish I could go more into gravitation but our self concoted Gravitational theory that has been infused into us will bring a lot of friction here. :) .. Ok let's move on. Can we take Center of earth OR Varanasi as measurement scale here ? NO. So, what is visible in the sky from Varanasi at a point of time is not visible in London at that point of time. THE MOVEMENT OF SUN AROUND MERU MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN CALCULATION. . Hence in SSS the calculation will not be the same as per options 1 and 2 of drik.

3. IF you take SSS and change cities with respect to different timezones (you need to change the time manually too as per option 1), you will see no change in degrees. Because the planets in the sky are moving in angles to each other as per rotation of Sun around Meru parvat. This is why divisional charts, rasi, navamsa etc changes by a margin where degrees are on the border, as compared to Drik.

Bottomline, I wish to say is that Although eclipse occurs in a specific time in different regions, their degrees will vary as per our calculations. These should not be confused with actual degrees which will come true only with SSS. Because it is only in SSS that the degrees of planets are not variable and in accordance with their movement on their own orbit and in context with Sun moving around Meru, which is true for degrees of planets from anywhere around the world.

Trust this clears the confusion.

Regards
sonu

map
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by map » 06 Mar 2011

Sonu ji,

Thanx for the views.
If we see from Varanasi it will have a tangent because the degrees are measured with respect to a particular place and not from center of the earth. So, in this case if you move city from Varanasi to London at the same time (i.e. by deducting 4:30 hours from 6:26 i.e. 1:56 AM), you will still get the same degrees.
We wont get the same longitudes for sun and moon at varanasi (6-26am) and London (1-56 am) with geocentric Sir.
In fact, the longitudes at london with geocentric setting will make us feel that total eclipse is at london.
If i have not understood u kindly excuse me.

I am yet to look into SSS. Apparently IMO a siddhanta ( calculations) has to reflect the phenomenon happening in skies as felt on earth and experienced by humans on earth. If not it gives an impression that planets have no effect on humans.
If SSS does not, then it is a totally different method and at present i have no comments on SSS.

regards
map

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 07 Mar 2011

Dear Astrologers:

When I compare my chart using Drik vs SSS, the SSS seems totally different.

The dasa periods have changed, the navamsa changed a lot, exalted mercury in lagna was atmakaraka in navamsa and now jupiter has become atmakaraka. Originally, jupiter was 12th to mercury and now mercury has become 12th to jupiter. One positive change was that of jupiter and moon aspecting each other. Some positions have improved in D60(that of jupiter and sun).
So is it right to switch over to SSS? Anyway using Drik, several right predictions have been made in the past even using the divisional charts. If there is substantial change in the navamsa itself, then obviously in other charts(higher divisions), the changes would be even more significant.
So please throw light on this.

Dev
Last edited by Dev on 08 Mar 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 08 Mar 2011

Dear Mapji,
We wont get the same longitudes for sun and moon at varanasi (6-26am) and London (1-56 am) with geocentric Sir.
In fact, the longitudes at london with geocentric setting will make us feel that total eclipse is at london.
If i have not understood u kindly excuse me.
Your observations are true for a topocentric setting, not for Geocentric. If the measurement is from center of earth, why would it differ for London and Varanasi at the same time (Geocentric). If it is from a station specific, then the degrees have to be seperate for two locations at the same time (topocentric). I have explained this above twice at length.
I am yet to look into SSS. Apparently IMO a siddhanta ( calculations) has to reflect the phenomenon happening in skies as felt on earth and experienced by humans on earth. If not it gives an impression that planets have no effect on humans.
If SSS does not, then it is a totally different method and at present i have no comments on SSS.
Irrespective of Siddhanta, first please try to understand how measurement of degrees takes place. Kindly read my text above again. Every siddhanta explains the phenomenon in skies only. Our way of looking differs (Geocentric, topocentric, SSS etc). The problem is not that which one reflects the phenomenon in skies. the problem domain is WHICH ONE IS CORRECT ?. Concluding the efficacy of Siddhanta based on Vimshottari dasha results will be a major blunder. The efficacy of these calculations should be concluded for micro level analysis. Something like Pranapada movement in the chart to determine sex of the native. Kalachakra dasha events, basic karakatwa satisfaction and moreover Karakamsa based analysis.

Trust this helps.

Regards

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 08 Mar 2011

Dear Mapji,Sonuji,Deepakji and others

We can also look at this entire subject from an altogethar different perspective. If we were to look at astro dicta as rules laid down based on correlation of planetary positions coupled with deep insights, then the subsequent results will have to be read from the same relative positions. In other words, we can look at it the way we view calibration of measuring instruments. Water is supposed to boil at 100 deg celsius at atomospheric pressure at mean sea level. In this statement temperature, atmosoheric pressure, mean sea level etc are all measurable. If we go by this, we should obviously expect differences in planetary positions visible to us today with what is calculated as per Drik/SSS or any other principle.

The essential point of contention however will be whether the astrology dicta were laid down with SSS as reference or Drik or some other principle. Perhaps the proof of the pudding ....
CRS

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 09 Mar 2011

There was a argument that The timing for the Solar eclipse that occured on the 22nd of March 2009 at Varanasi was wrongly taken as 6.24.10 AM and that Geocentric positioning is the right way to go .

These are the facts on the eclipse that occured that day .
Varanasi :
•Eclipse begins at 05:30:03 AM
•Total Solar Eclipse Begins at 06:24:10 AM
•Greatest Eclipse Phase at 06:25:44 AM

•Total Solar Eclipse Ends at 06:27:17 AM
•Eclipse ends at 07:27:34 AM

Enter the time in J hora as 6.25 .. with a Geocentric setting and you will get a 1 degree difference between the Moon and the Suns longitude . Now shift to Topocentric ...... the difference is Nil . You decide what setting has to be used .

Please correct me if I am wrong :oops:

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 09 Mar 2011

Hi All

Just wanted to add one observation on my part to this thread.

Comparing my chart using DSS and SSS for the D-1 only, I have Sun in Ardra under DSS and Sun in Mighra under SSS. Jupiter in Stabbatashik under DSS and Jupiter in Poorva Bhadrapada in SSS. These are the different Nakshatra placements for these two planets in my chart.

Actually I have BOTH characteristics.

But the Dasa periods seem to tie in more closely with that of DSS. And the dasa periods work very well when I used DSS last time.

This is my observation.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi

Okay. I found out with regards to the Dasa period calculations, if one chooses the settings recommended by the author which includes choosing SSS, the dasa periods are somewhat different than if you choose SSS individually. That could be the reason.

Choosing the settings as a package, the dasa periods look OK to me.

So the dasa period is resolved though I am not very sure what is the difference between choosing it as a package for SSS and choosing it individually in the software (JHora).

As for the point about the Nakshatra placements, on reflection I think Mighra is more applicable to me than Ardra and Poorva Bhadrapada to me than Stabbatashik. And I do not think I have any Jupiterian qualities in the Ascendant. Sun although now do not have effects on my Ascendant being now in Mars Nakshatra, still has effects on my AL which is true - adds to my fiery nature.

So it looks like SSS is quite OK after all.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi

Okay my last observation.

The dasa period based on Drik is still more accurate than Sri Surya.

Planetary placements Drik is also more representative. I think my fiery nature is usually controlled by reason and logic, so Sun should go with Jupiter under Rahu (diplomacy) and that could only be had if Sun is in Ardra and Jupiter in Stabbatashik.

The effects of Mighra and Poorva Bhadrapada in my chart is due to their overlaying my 12th house cusp and 9th house cusp respectively.

Chaing Drik to Topocentric is also the right move in my chart. My Sree Lagna (point of riches) goes to the 4th house of fixed assets.

Also one must realise that in ancient times where there is no planetarium, discerning the planet's positions using SSS was more appropriate unlike modern times. Sometimes fundamentals can arise out of necessity in the environment.

So Drik with Topocentric for myself.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi

I have to change back to Geocentric. The dasa period under Topocentric also is out of alignment like SSS.

So Drik with Geocentric.

I place importance on the dasa factor, because the dasa periods calculated under Drik with Geocentric was very accurate for me.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 09 Mar 2011

Khoo Hock Leong wrote:Hi

I have to change back to Geocentric. The dasa period under Topocentric also is out of alignment like SSS.

So Drik with Geocentric.

I place importance on the dasa factor, because the dasa periods calculated under Drik with Geocentric was very accurate for me.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong
Hi KHL..So we assume that Drik with Geocentric works out for u in regards to the dasha/bhukti schemes..With SSS, what ayanamsa was used by you and whether it was geocentric/topocentric settings ?

thx
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology