Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
astroboy
Donor
Donor
Re: Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

Post by astroboy » 12 Feb 2011

Good day to you Shilpa ji ,

here is something that might interest you .

When the lord of the house, in which Gulika is posited, is strong and occupies an Angle or Trine, his own, his exaltation sign or a friendly house the native have chariots, elephants and horses, will be handsome like cupid; enjoying great respect and widely renowned and will dominate over the world. (Phaladeepika chapter 25 sloka 30

The only explaination I can offer is this . As far as the 11th house goes , Kumbha is said to be his own house , which happens to be the 11th in the natural zodiac . This may be one of the reasons that the 11th is his favorite number . :roll: :roll:

Shilpa ji, I was inspired to write about Gulika because I noticed that there are more shrines and temples for Gulika / and Maandi than Shani . This is especially true in South Canara District where I hail from . I am told this is even more prevalent in the coastal regions of Kerala . A good Kerala astrologer will plot Mandi on a chart even before he places the other planets on the chart . Such is the importance given to Gulika and Maandi . I am trying to muster up as much information as I can on them . I will continue posting what ever I can find on this thread , so that we can get all the material under one roof . I have also placed a order for a 'Prashna' software which should throw some light on their placements and calculation methods .

here is some information on the importance of Gulika in local folk lore , Kerala Fisherfolk Ritualistic and Cosmic Elements by P. R. G. Mathur
Gulikan or Mandi is propitiated by the Hindu fishermen all over Kerala. The Gulikan is connected with diseases and death. Horoscopes are cast by every Hindu of Kerala in which the position of the Gulikan is clearly indicated. The Gulikan’s position indicates when the person will die. When death occurs in a fisherman’s house, it is customary to plant a stone outside the house representing the Gulikan. An informant informed me that stone representing the Gulikan will never be installed in the room reserved for ancestors or in any of the house. However, the fishermen believe that once the Gulikan is propitiated by installing a stone on the earthen platform, it will prevent death. The Gulikan is generally worshipped to get big fishes like etta and avoli. They vow to conduct a special puja in honour of the Gulikan by offering etta and avoli. They fulfil their vow by making votive offerings when they get these species of fish. The Gulikan is periodically propitiated by the offer of kuruthi (water mixed with turmeric and lime), today, bananas and flowers. A wick lamp is lighted for the worship. A red fowl and a ram are sacrificed in the Gulikan’s honour on important festive occasions like Omam and Vishu. Sometimes, the oracle of the Gulikan, in trance, directs the fishermen to handle times of crisis. The oracle reveals the causes of illness and discloses the remedy.

The Mukkuvans of Malabar believe that there are four kinds of Gulikans: Brahma Gulikan,Vishnu Gulikan, Abhimanyu Gulikan, Asura Gulikan. They further believe that if the Asura Gulikan is displeased tensions in the family are bound to arise, besides infights among the members of the crew. In such cases the Mukkuvans consult the kaniyan (village astrologer) and seek their advice to ward off the wrath of the enraged Asura Gulikan. The kaniyan prescribes the remedy in the form of a magical rite called Puramneekkal which is similar to Uzhinhu Vangal. A oracle is invited to conduct this rite. The articles required for the purpose prescribed by the magician and the astrologer are: a cooked fried fish (etta, aikkora, and narimeen), coconut oil, potato, lady-finger, bengal gram, beaten rice, puffed rice, etc. A thigh of the cock is roasted in the fire and given to the Asura Gulikan. The total expenditure for conducting the rite comes to Rs. 100.

Best regard's

Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 12 Feb 2011

Shilpa ji , I am sure you have read this story before , I feel it would have something to do with why Maandi is good in the 11th . It sounds Illogical but I cant think of anything else at this point of time .

It is of course well known that Ravana, the Lord of Lanka, had all the nine planets under his control. He is supposed to have used them as steps to his throne facing them upside down. When it was time for his eldest son, Indrajit, to be born, Ravana supposedly wanted all the planets to be in a favorable position. So, he forced all of them into the constellation which would be the 11th house for his son. The 11th house is the house of gains. It is also the house where one is supposed to have divine blessings.

Just as Indrajit was about to be born, Shani somehow managed to get himself into the constellation representing the 12th house (house of loss). This ensured that Indrajit would certainly have his downfall one day. Ravana, upon realizing this, was very furious with Shani and is supposed to have broken his legs Shani's blood which oozed out of his wounds gave rise to Gulika . We all know Shani is Good in the 3rd/6th/ and the 11th , The 11th being the best house for him to be in . I feel Gulika acts like his father and just like him , delivers all good effects in the 11th house .
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

chaks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by chaks » 12 Feb 2011

I came across a slightly modified version of the same story. After Ravana had lined up all planets in the 11th, shani somehow managed to stretch his leg to the adjoining 12th house. Angered by this Ravana took out his sword and cut off his stretched out leg which landed in the 1st house. The leg formed itself into mandi and being in the lagna, it finished off inderjit at an early age.

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 12 Feb 2011

astroboy wrote:Shilpa ji , I am sure you have read this story before , I feel it would have something to do with why Maandi is good in the 11th . It sounds Illogical but I cant think of anything else at this point of time .

It is of course well known that Ravana, the Lord of Lanka, had all the nine planets under his control. He is supposed to have used them as steps to his throne facing them upside down. When it was time for his eldest son, Indrajit, to be born, Ravana supposedly wanted all the planets to be in a favorable position. So, he forced all of them into the constellation which would be the 11th house for his son. The 11th house is the house of gains. It is also the house where one is supposed to have divine blessings.

Just as Indrajit was about to be born, Shani somehow managed to get himself into the constellation representing the 12th house (house of loss). This ensured that Indrajit would certainly have his downfall one day. Ravana, upon realizing this, was very furious with Shani and is supposed to have broken his legs Shani's blood which oozed out of his wounds gave rise to Gulika . We all know Shani is Good in the 3rd/6th/ and the 11th , The 11th being the best house for him to be in . I feel Gulika acts like his father and just like him , delivers all good effects in the 11th house .
dear astroboy...thax...the explanations of the 11th house appear plausible.
In general this has been a good thread......emphasizing the relevance of keeping an eye on Gullika in the chart.

One more question comes to mind.......would there be dasas /anatardasas when the good or bad affect of Gk would be more pronounced?
such as maybe during the periods of Saturn?
or during the perios of the lord of the house that Gk sits in?

Thx
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

anilesh47
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anilesh47 » 13 Feb 2011

Dear learners,

See what barbarapijan says about upagraha gulika.

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/Topics/ ... ka_etc.htm

Regards
NIlesh
All People laugh on me because I am Different but I laugh on them because They all are Same. This is my attitude. So "Think Different, Do Different and Be Different"!

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 14 Feb 2011

Dear Anilesh...that is a very informativee link on Gulika.
It answers the question we had on the Dasha / period when Gulika affects will be prononuced:

Dasha-timed Gulika effects

Gulika's sluggish, retarding effects are most pronounced during the dasha period of Grahayuti Gulika.

The native feels a tremendous frustration of being 'held back' against their will. They sense restraint by Shani-like forces of social rigidity or caste, depending on the domain occupied by Gulika.

Although muted slightly when Gulika occupies domain-3, -6, -10, or -11, the long-term, deep-seated but largely invisible environmental restraint is always felt during the dasha of a graha yuti Gulika.

Traditionally, the dasha period of any graha that is yuti Gulika in the navamsha or dashamsha vargas will also deliver Gulika's effects. Naturally the Gulika slowdown will impact relationship behaviors if coming from the navamsha, and career/public respect behaviors if coming from dashamsha.
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

anilesh47
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anilesh47 » 14 Feb 2011

See what sarajit poddar says about gulika

http://www.scribd.com/doc/499073/Badhak ... -Badhakesh

Preta Badhak If the funeral ceremonies or annual rites called Shraddh of the dead are not performed, then, it is believed that such a dead person remains in the form of a Pisacha & affects relations. The presence of Gulika/ Ketu in the Badhak sign shows the danger.
The malefic associating with Gulika shows the cause of death of the Pisacha. Some of such combinations showing the death is given below: 1. If Gulika/ Ketu is in any manner associated with Mars by conjunction, aspect or is placed in Aries or Scorpio, it shows sudden death or accident, burns, weapons, smallpox etc.
2. If instead of Mars, the association was with Saturn, misery & poverty may be the cause of death.
3. Rahu associating with Gulika shows snakebite and other deadly poisons.

Similarly, the sign occupied by Gulika/Ketu show the sex of the Pisacha. If Gulika associates with the 4th house or lord in some manner, then the Pisacha is related to the family, if not, then it is from outside. The ashtottaramsa [108th Division of a sign. If in the beginning, young age and if in the end of the sign, old age is indicated ] is the age of the Preta/Pisacha.
All People laugh on me because I am Different but I laugh on them because They all are Same. This is my attitude. So "Think Different, Do Different and Be Different"!

viswada
Contributor
Contributor

Post by viswada » 14 Feb 2011

anilesh47 wrote:See what sarajit poddar says about gulika

http://www.scribd.com/doc/499073/Badhak ... -Badhakesh

Preta Badhak If the funeral ceremonies or annual rites called Shraddh of the dead are not performed, then, it is believed that such a dead person remains in the form of a Pisacha & affects relations. The presence of Gulika/ Ketu in the Badhak sign shows the danger.
The malefic associating with Gulika shows the cause of death of the Pisacha. Some of such combinations showing the death is given below: 1. If Gulika/ Ketu is in any manner associated with Mars by conjunction, aspect or is placed in Aries or Scorpio, it shows sudden death or accident, burns, weapons, smallpox etc.
2. If instead of Mars, the association was with Saturn, misery & poverty may be the cause of death.
3. Rahu associating with Gulika shows snakebite and other deadly poisons.

Similarly, the sign occupied by Gulika/Ketu show the sex of the Pisacha. If Gulika associates with the 4th house or lord in some manner, then the Pisacha is related to the family, if not, then it is from outside. The ashtottaramsa [108th Division of a sign. If in the beginning, young age and if in the end of the sign, old age is indicated ] is the age of the Preta/Pisacha.
dear Anilesh
i am requesting you to clarify my doubts on this .The assoication with Mars should be in badhak stana or any other places also?FOR EXAMPLE,FOR A GEMINI ASCENDENT IF GULIKA IS PLACED IN ARIES THEN IS IT INDICATES THE PRETHA BADHAK?HERE ONE MORE THING IS HOW TO UNDERSTAND THIS?THE NATIVES HIM OR HER SELF IS A PRETAK(THAT IS PRETAK TOOK BIRTH AS THIS NATIVE?) OR THEY WILL BE SUFFERED BY PRETAKS?
AND ONE MORE THING IS IF GULIKA IS IN BADHAKA HOUSE THEN IT IS DANGER MEANS ,WHAT ABOUT THE CLASSICS STATEMENT THAT GULIKA PLACEMENT IS GOOD IN 11TH HOUSE?I MEAN FOR ARIES ASCENDENT BADHAKA STANA IS 11TH HOUSE,AND IF GULIKA IS THERE THEN IS IT GOOD OR NOT?
PLEASE THROW LIGHT ON THIS....
THANKING YOU
BEST REGARDS.....

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anxious2711 » 15 Feb 2011

Could anyone please elaborate on Preta Badhak? I have Gullika in Scorpio 11th for Makara, which is badhak for me. Thanks.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 24 Feb 2011

September 10 1961
00 54
Chennai

harih
Contributor
Contributor

Post by harih » 27 Feb 2011

I have Gulika in lagna. Some months ago, when I had the opportunity of meeting a well known astrologer from Kerala, I discussed this matter with him. His response was that Gulika in lagna would give health issues, a sickly body with several wounds, (both true in my case) but also confers Raja Yoga(has to come true too!). Also worshipping Bhagavathi (Durga Devi) during the dasha and AD of lagna lord (Since Gulika is in lagna) would mitigate Gulika’s negative effects.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 28 Feb 2011

Thanks for the input Harih ji . It's very nice of you to give us some feed back . Now we know we are on track with the position of Maandi / Gulika and also its effects .

god bless you ,

best regard's
deepak

( Can we have your Birth details please . That's if you dont mind . :) )

milredr

Post by milredr » 28 Feb 2011

My husband also has gulika in the lagna. He is not sickly. However he has had many accidents and many wounds. He also has ketu and Mars in the lagna. Could b any of them:).

Regards,

Milred

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Milred , i dont think they are the culprits . Kuja is yogakaraka and Badaka , Ketu is doing fine in his own Nakshatra . Its Maandi and gulika at work .

milredr

Post by milredr » 28 Feb 2011

Ok.

All the texts mention Gulika in the 11th is good. What if its conjuct with another planet. In my case moon(in cancer). Is it bad for the moon or good owing to it being in the 11th? Not sure if u have already covered this. Dont remember reading it.
Thanks & Regards,
Milred

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Milred , He has to be alone according to Srinivas Rao Ji . I think Kunal can substantiate that .

kunalbhardwaj27
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kunalbhardwaj27 » 28 Feb 2011

by astroboy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 am
Milred , He has to be alone according to Srinivas Rao Ji . I think Kunal can substantiate that .
Oh yes how can i forget when i met Guruji for the first time... I remember him saying whenever mandi or gulika in 11th...That fellow will be very rich... Now i checked it in some charts and found it too convincing..

A print media king of Ahmedabad has mandi gulika in 11th.(Worth 3000cr )
Aseem s cousin working in US who s very well off has this combination.

But alone this combinations dont work.Other yogas of the chart should also support that.

Till now i have only checked 15 charts with this and it has come true in each of them... But i need to check it for minimum 100 horoscopes...
see in forest mummy duck is going to water pond for swimming means - daddy duck and baby ducks is going in the backside of mummy duck and jumping in water. Not looking this side not looking that side. Simply jumping.

-- Howzat

kunalbhardwaj27
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

by astroboy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:25 pm
Good day to you Shilpa ji ,

here is something that might interest you .

When the lord of the house, in which Gulika is posited, is strong and occupies an Angle or Trine, his own, his exaltation sign or a friendly house the native have chariots, elephants and horses, will be handsome like cupid; enjoying great respect and widely renowned and will dominate over the world. (Phaladeepika chapter 25 sloka 30
Dear Astroboy,

Gulika and mandi is in my lagna if i am not wrong and its despositor is exalted in 4th house.

I dont know about handsome.Astroboy can say bout that...

I dont own Chariots and elephnats...But ya i own a normal Honda City.

Regards
Kunal
see in forest mummy duck is going to water pond for swimming means - daddy duck and baby ducks is going in the backside of mummy duck and jumping in water. Not looking this side not looking that side. Simply jumping.

-- Howzat

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Kunal , looking at the number of women who chase you , I dont need to endorse your looks and physique . The women are proof enough . :)

kunalbhardwaj27
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

by astroboy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 am
Kunal , looking at the number of women who chase you , I dont need to endorse your looks and physique . The women are proof enough . :)
I wish one of the girls could be Scarlett Johanson :D :D :D ...

-- Howzat

chaks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by chaks » 28 Feb 2011

And Kunal be careful not to throw light on the most inappropriate moment :D

astroboy
Donor
Donor

You are in luck . She has just filed for divorce . :wink: :wink: :wink:

kunalbhardwaj27
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

by chaks » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 am
And Kunal be careful not to throw light on the most inappropriate moment :D
:D ..Oh yes i remember....

-- Howzat

kunalbhardwaj27
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

by astroboy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:16 am
You are in luck . She has just filed for divorce . :wink: :wink: :wink:
:D :D :D

-- Howzat

karmatrix
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karmatrix » 09 Mar 2011

Good day Astroboy,

I went through the entire thread, and found it very informative. Thank you for the link!

Now interestingly in the chart, I tried discussing with you, the native has Gulika conjoined Sun in the 12th house (Aquarius)) in Navamsa. (In Rasi, both the Mandi & Gulika are in the 4th house of Taurus) The native lost her father at 26!

I also have a chart, where the native has Mandi is conjoined Sun in Navamsa (1st house Saggitarius) - the father passed away very young, within a year after the native was born! :( [This one's natal has Gulika conjoined a waning Moon in 11th house (Saggitarius) - but the mother's all hale & hearty!]

Though, I would like to bring to your notice that in both the charts, 9th (libra) lord Venus is deposited in the 12th house (capricorn).

Regards,
Karmatrix
"Now look here.
I did not say I was a millionaire.
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all of the money I had already spent,
I woulda been a millionaire a long time ago!"

- Going Down Slow (Howling Wolf)