Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
astroboy
Donor
Donor
Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

Post by astroboy » 29 Jan 2011

Good day all,

If we thought that Rahu and Ketu were the ones who did not want us to get to know them better, Try Gulika and Maandi :) , They / He :? make Rahu and Ketu looks like angels .

It was high time that we got down to try and figure out what Maandi is all about . To be honest , I know zilch about Him . I have never personally used him in any of my analysis . But believe me , I have seen astrologers use him /Them , to great effect . In fact I have seen a prashna astrologer first cast the Lagna , Then immediately calculate Maandi's position and make a prediction , without even casting the position of the rest of the planets . ( It could also have been the case that the positions of the other planets were in his head :) . )

As far as I stand , All I have are some notes written down with my interaction with some local astrologers , and a smattering of references of him by my Guru Shrinivas ji . one side of Shrinivas ji 's family belong to the Tantri family in Kerala . We all know that Kerala is the hot bed for Asthamangala Prashna and Deva Prashna , where Maandi is used extensively and I must add, Effectively . My motive is to exploit this knowledge base and combine it with the texts and see if we end up making some sense of all this . I once again want to draw the attention of the reader to the fact that I am 0 in this topic . I have collected a lot of material from various sources and will be reproducing them here over a period of time . We can have a healthy debate later .

Please Do not attack me personally if I go wrong some where . I do not claim that I am in possession of material which can authenticate and and establish a firm ground rule on the subject . All I want to do is to instigate some discussion on the Subject . Simple as that . Please Give me time since I have to type out a lot of source material . Most of the notes on the subject comes from Kannada texts belonging to Shrinivas Rao ji . I have also discussed this subject at length with Ramanan Ji , who has promised to help me out and catch me if I stumble somewhere :) .

I shall now start with what P.V.N.Rao Ji has to say about the subject since most of us here use J Hora as the default Software . I shall then discuss on how the other softwares interpret this confusing subject .
Last edited by astroboy on 29 Jan 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Re: Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

Good day to you Cjappu ji ,

Ashta means 8 , Mangala means auspicious and Prashna as you would know , stands for a Query . So AsthtamangalaPrashna means a method of answering a query using 8 auspicious articles. The 8 articles are 1. Metal Box 2. Mirror 3. Gold coin 4. White flower 5. Akshatha (Rice and Paddy Mixed) 6. Fruits 7. Betal leaf with Areca Nut and 8. Palm leaf with a oil Lamp .

The procedure to be carried out is ellaborate . The process starts when the client meets the astrologer and the latter expresses his desire to have a horary reading . This first meeting is called the Dootha -Daivagna -Samaagama prashna ( It means , meeting of the messenger and the astrologer ). On the invitation of the client , the astrologer askes the client the day he desires to have the prashna held . A good astrologer starts arriving at a conclusion from the time the queriest arrives at the astrologers door . The astrologer carfully observes the direction in which the queriest has come , his dress , his mannerisms , the first word's he utters , etc . Its a custom to bring certain gifts to the astrologer ( Mostly fruits , vegetables , cereals , clothing , etc ) The astrologer will then observe and inspect the gifts brought by the querist . For example , if the Querist brings the astrologer some pickle , the astrologer will deduce that Lord Saturn is ruling the querent at that time :( . Its mandatory that Betel Leaves and Areca nuts be given to the astrologer as gifts . The astrologer will then examine the Areca leaves and figure out the state of affairs based on the condition of the leaves ( This is a seperate subject called Tambola prashna . P.Shrinivas Rao ji , Is a expert and is called upon by many families and temples trustees to do this type of Prashna . )

Then the astrologer asks the querist to name a day and date on which the querist desires to conduct a Prashna . The astrologer will examine his breath , note the omens , study the planetary postion on that day , and the day on which the prashna is to be held and draw some conclusions .

Once the date is set , The astrologer will observe all the happenings in his own life till the day of the prashna . The day of the prashna is of utmost importance . The astrologer will observe all the omens on his way to the querist's house , where the prashna is to be conducted . Suppose he sees a funeral procession it is supposed to be a good omen ( sloka 19 Prashna Marga )
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Let me not go too much into this , because its a subject by it'self . I will just stick to the basics to give you a general idea of how this works ,

any ways , once the astrologer reaches the querent's place he asks the querent to bring out the materials procured for the prashna ( For example , if the lamp is brought out first , its a good indication ) then a place is identifed cleaned and the lamp is placed by the querent there . The astrologer asks the querent to light the lamp . The astrologer notes the flame , the manner in which it was lit , the quantity of Oil , the position of the Wick etc . Then the astrologer asks the querent to draw the Zodiac . The astrologer now notes carefully how the querent draws the lines of the chart and the direction in which he starts drawing the chart . (Thin and broken lines , South direction first are all bad omens ) .

Once the chart is drawn the worship begins where Shri Ganapathy , Saraswathi , and other gods are prayed to . Then the planets are worshipped and the planets are placed in the chart as per the Panchanga . after this the astrologer mixes together 5 different things , Akshatha, Sandal paste , water, flowers, Kumkum and a gold piece is placed on a plantain leaf and covers it with his right palm and chants the appropriate Mantra 108 times . Then a girl child who has no knowledge of astrology to place the gold piece where ever she pleases , at the same time , he places his palm on the 108 shells (cowries ) and chants the mantras and gently rotates the palm of his hand on then , Then he takes one hand full of shells and places it to the left , then again takes a second handful and places it to the front of him and collects the remainng to the right side of him . The gold piece placed becomes the Aruda Rashi , The time when the gold piece was placed become the lagna for the prashna amd the shell count ( Its a long explaination ) becomes the astamangala Sankya . each number indicates something . Thus the querist's question will be answered through this procedure.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

To Give you a example, I was sitting with my Old Guru Acharya ji , discussing some points on astrology when a querent walked in to his house . Guruji saw the chart and suggested that he continue praying to Devi , and that his problems would be solved soon . After he left , I asked Acharya Ji , how he figured out that he worshipped Devi , He just smiled and said , " he ( the querent ) just stopped at the temple on the way here . His sandal Tika is still moist , indicating that he went to the temple first . It shows he is a god fearing man , That is enough to suggest that his problems will be solved soon ." ( Acharya ji , Stays in the middle of nowhere in between paddy fields . There is a temple on the way to his house . Some forum Members and me had gone to Visit him recently , But we did not Visit that temple because we had already visited 2 before we got there .. :) ) Just goes to show , How important it is for the astrologer to see his client and interact with him personally .

( 3 of the Forum members and me visited Acharya ji , where there was a fruitful discussion on a lot of subjects . I called him recently , He told me the primary Querent ( You know who you are :) ) will do well in life because , the day we visited him , The atmosphere in Acharya's house was on of Joy . There was a Upanayana to be held the next day , and a Upanayana had taken place the previous day . The Nimita was that Guru would bless all , and that all of us had a Strong Guru's influence on us . Rightly said , because 2 of us are going through his Dasha . the other two have Guru placed extremely well in their Charts . He had not seen any of our charts at that point . ) .

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Deva Prashna is resorted to , To find out the condition of the Diety in a Temple . The procedure is Via Asthamangala prashna , But on a higher, more rigid and precise scale . The rules are laid down in the classics related to Prashna . This prashna is conducted to find out , in what state the affairs of the temple are in . P Shrinivas ji is a better person to write about this , Since I am unfit to write on a subject as sensitive as this . :oops:

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 29 Jan 2011

Dear Astroboy,

You have correctly emphasised the importance of Mandi and Gulika. B V Raman and K N Rao both wries about their importance but none have given any precise rules and theories regarding their effects. At least you have some material, I have none and my Knowledge is zero regarding these two. Please carry on with your usual diligence and excellent insight...I , like many others, are depending on your article to educate us on this matter. All the best. :D

regards
swamykool
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 30 Jan 2011

There is a matter which needs to be debated and understood first . Are "Gulika" and 'Mandi" the same . I first refer to N.E.Muthuswamy who has written a wonderful book called " Gulika in Astrology" published by CBH Publications Nagercoil T.N. .

he says , and I quote,

Maandi is another name given to Gulika by some acharyas ( He does not say who ) Maandi means the son of "Manda" ( Manda is another Name for Lord Shani ) ie the Upagraha of Shani . This school ( Does not say which :roll: ) considers Maandi and Gulika as one and the same .

But,

In "Uttara Kaalamrutham" the famous treatise by Kalidasa :
It is definitely stated that Mandi and Gulika are different. He (Kalidasa) Quotes the name of Acharya Mandavya in support of his view point.
But many acharyas consider both giving the same effect . However when these acharyas give the method of calculation and the durations , they differ from with each other .
It is pertinent to note that Shri Varahamihira does not make any reference to Gulika in any of his works .

Now the point , what does BPHS say about the two ??

The first evidence is that is BPHS gives a ellaborate method to calculate "Gulika's " position . chapter 3 sloka 66-69 (Translation provided by Girish chand Sharma ) / verified by Default BPHS stored in Parashara Light 7.03 .

66-69. Calculations of Gulika, etc.: The portions of Surya etc. up to Shani denote the periods of Gulika and others. Divide the day duration (of any week day) into eight equal parts. The eighth portion is lord-less. The seven portions are distributed to the seven grahas commencing from the lord of the week day. Whichever portion is ruled by Shani will be the portion of Gulika. Similarly, make the night duration into eight equal parts and distribute these commencing from the lord of the 5th week. Here again, the eighth portion is lord-less while Shani's portion is Gulika. Surya's portion is Kaal, Mangal's portion is Mrityu, Guru's portion is Yamaghantak, and Buddh's portion is Ardhaprahara. These durations differently apply to different places (commensurate with variable day and night durations)

in Sloka 71-74 he says,

Out of the 5 Kaal Velas, viz. Gulika, etc. four except Kaal (related to Surya) have their own rashi system in the respective rashis ruled by their fathers. Gulika, son of Shani, has Kumbha as his own bhava. Guru's son, Yamaghantak, has it in Dhanu. Ardhaprahara, Buddh's son, is in own rashi if in Mithuna. Mrityu, son of Mangal, has Vrischika as own bhava. It is not known why Kaal, a son of Surya shifted to Makara, a rashi of his brother (Shani) leaving his father's Simha . Obviously, Shani has given his Moola-Trikona to his son Gulika while he gave Makara (a secondary rashi) to his 'brother' Kaal. ( Note , there is no reference of Maandi up to this point . )

Then ,

in chapter 4 sloka 25-30. he says , Nisheka Lagna: O excellent of Maharishis, now is a step explained to arrive at the Nisheka Lagna when the natal Lagna is known. Note the angular distance between Shani and Mandi (Gulika). Add this to the difference between the Lagna bhava (Madhya or cusp) and the 9th bhava (cusp). The resultant product in rashis, degrees, etc. will represent the months, days, etc. that elapsed between Nisheka and birth. At birth if Lagna lord is in the invisible half (i.e. from Lagna cusp to descendental cusp) add the degrees, etc. Chandra moved in the particular rashi occupied by her to the above mentioned product. Then, Lagna at Nisheka can be worked out and the good and bad experienced by the native in the womb can be guessed. One can also guess, with the help of Nisheka Lagna, effects like longevity, death, etc. of the parents.

Here he says , the son of Shani - Shani's another name is "Manda" so it could be that Parsahara chose to call Gulika ( Who he accepts as the Son of Shani in Sloka 71-74 ) as Maandi .

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Parashara then continues to give the effects of "Gulika" - in Chapter 25 from Sloka 62-73 (I could not stumble upon the effects of "Mandi" in the BPHS) .

Jaimini UpadeshaSutras hit the nail in the head when Jaimini Maharishi says in chapter 2 Sloka 22 "Mandi is Gulika in Jaimini. Death follows dropsy, distaste for food, vomitings and the like."

Jataka Parijata in chapter 2 Sloka 5 says , Dhwaja, Sikhi and Ketu are, as astrologers declare, the well-known names of Ketu. The Son of Manda or Shani is called Gulika. Minor planets Kala and others (to be enumerated in the coming ) are portions belonging to Ravi and other planets and produce painful consequences.

Mantreshwara in PhalaDeepika Chapter 25 sloka 8 to sloka 30 describes the effects of gulika ellaborately .

Prashna Marga , translated by Shri B.V.Raman Page 160 - 162 chapter 5 gives the method of calculating Both Gulika and Maandi , and then says , "Both Maandi and Gulika are said to be the two suns of Saturn . On Page 162 he says " So far as our Author ( Prashna Marga's Author is Unknown ) is concerned he seems to have accepted Both Gulika and Maandi as the same "Planets " and so far as "Prashna Marga " is concerned , "Gulika's " position should be obtained according to the method given to calculate Maandi's position

astroboy
Donor
Donor

P.V.N.Rao ji , who has written the Book "Vedic astrology , a intergrated approach " states in his chapter on "Upagrahas " that there Maandi and Gulika are seperate from each other (Page 35 ) . But he hasy that Gulika and Maandi are Similar to Shani .( page no 35 )

In page no 37 he states , " Gulika Rises in the middle of Shani's part " and "Maandi" Rises at the beginning of Saturn part .

But P.V.N Rao ji , settles this issue for us well in a post addressed to Somebody named Sanjay ( PT Sanjay Rath ??? )

I quote him verbatim,

Assuming that Gulika and Maandi are separate, Parasara only mentioned the calculation of Gulika and not Maandi.
People following you take Gulika at the beginning of Saturn' portion (i.e. 1/8th of day/night) and Maandi at the middle of the same portion.
However, it is questionable if Maandi and Gulika are separate. A careful perusal of available literature suggests that Maandi and Gulika are synonyms, just as the words Sani,

Sanaischara, Manda, Souri, Arki etc were used in literature to refer to the same planet (Saturn).
Parasara mentioned the calculation of various upagrahas - Dhuma, Vyatipata etc and then Gulika, Mrityu, Kaala, Yamaghantaka etc. He did not mention the calculation of Maandi.

However, he referred to Maandi several times in later chapters when giving some combinations. This suggests that Maandi is another name for one of the upagrahas he had already mentioned. Otherwise, why did Parasara use him without defining him, though he took care to define so many other upagrahas?

Maandi means " one derived from or coming from or belonging to Manda, i.e.Saturn " . Gulika is derived from Saturn's portion as defined by Parasara ( " shanyaMshaH gulikaH smR^itaH " ). Hence, the word Maandi could certainly refer to Gulika.

Many other classics also seem to use Gulika and Maandi interchangably.

JHora allows users to define two different upagrahas called Gulika and Maandi and define them separately at the beginning/middle of Saturn's/8th portions (i.e. 4 possibilities for each). This is to facilitate research and also enable people follow your teaching.

My recommendation to those who are interested in my recommendation is this: All the upagrahas rise at the *beginning* of corresponding planetary portions, including Gulika who rises at the beginning of Saturn's portion. Maandi is just another name for Gulika.

Best regards,
Narasimha

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Now that we have some clarity on the issue , Let me explain what "Maandi/ Gulika" is all about .

I was attending classes on Astrology run by a person named Shri Devdas Kini . He comes with 30 years of experience in Astrology . He described Mandi as " The stench you notice near a garbage dump even after the Garbage has been cleared . The matter which created the stench does not exist , But you can still smell the stench " . People who are in India are familiar with this syndrome , :( for there are over flowing garbage bins on every available street corner . :roll:

Now to give it a more scientific touch and make it a little complicated , Prof N.E.Muthuswamy in his Magnum opus "Encyclopedia of Astrology " explains it thus in part 2 page no 2

Maandi - A Upagraha of Shani. The Gulika , A sensitive point in the Zodiac . Gulika is said to originate from saturn . Some scholars opine that Maandi and Gulika are seperate and not one , But now a days , for all practical purposes both are considered as one

In volume 1page 388 he goes on to define Gulika as, "A sensitive point in the Zodiac which rises every day at a particular time during day time and a particular time during night time , also known as Maandi , Meaning evolved from Saturn ( Son of Manda ) Gulika is a important sensitive point in the Zodiac especially in South india , Particularly Kerala .Maandi is the most malefic amoungst the planets and the Upagrahas especially when with Shani "

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 30 Jan 2011

Particularly Kerala .Maandi is the most malefic amoungst the planets and the Upagrahas especially when with Shani "
Deepakji , Can Maandi become auspicious when associated with Jupiter or Yogakarka?. Regards anu
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Significations of Gulika / Maandi .

Thila ( Sesamom ) , Droova Grass, Grass , Fire wood , fire , Curd, The decorations on a dead Body , The funeral Rites , The articles for Funeral rites, Black Magic , Talisman , The hood of Snakes , The Skull of a Cat , Skulls , Dead spirits , places where low caste people dwell, Excreta , Thorny Twiners , The place where Rubish is dumped , Rubbish , Drains , Rats , Reptiles , Owl , Scorpion , water less ponds , Dilapidated wells , flowers of foul smell , Liquor :) , Fish , flesh , mantras chanted to please departed souls , dead bodies, Foul smell of dead bodies , articles on dead Bodies , bones and ashes of the dead body , bhootha , Pretha , Pisacha .

N.E.Muthuswamy : Gulika in astrology page 22 .

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Anuradha ji , It is said that the combination of Guru is Good for Gulika . When gulika is posited with Guru , Gulika loses its maleficence . However when Jupiter happens to be the lord of the house occupied by Gulika he becomes a malefic like a intoxicated mad dog . There is a explaination for this ,

The divine sage Narada , ( who is generally jobless :roll: ) once caused a fierce fight between guru and Shani . In this fight because of a fatefull attack by that Burly Guru on a thin Shani , Shani fell down and bled Profusely . Gulika arose from this Blood . He was very valorous , shaped like a serpent with fierce eyes , Shining black like the Anjana stone . His whole body is poisonous , he smears black all over his body , his garments are short and torn . eradicator of all beings , has a thunderbolt like voice , he causes death , is very cruel and is then the destroyer of the whole world . The Gulika salutes his father at all times .

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Anuradha ji , It is said that the combination of Guru is Good for Gulika . When gulika is posited with Guru , Gulika loses its maleficence . However when Jupiter happens to be the lord of the house occupied by Gulika he becomes a malefic like a intoxicated mad dog . There is a explaination for this ,

The divine sage Narada , ( who is generally jobless ) once caused a fierce fight between guru and Shani . In this fight because of a fatefull attack by that Burly Guru on a thin Shani , Shani fell down and bled Profusely . Gulika arose from this Blood . He was very valorous , shaped like a serpent with fierce eyes , Shining black like the Anjana stone . His whole body is poisonous , he smears black all over his body , his garments are short and torn . eradicator of all beings , has a thunderbolt like voice , he causes death , is very cruel and is then the destroyer of the whole world . The Gulika salutes his father at all times .
Please seek as many opinions as you can from other learned member's on the forum as I might be completely wrong with the Analysis.
astroboy

Deepakji, Thanks a lot for the reply. But I wish to ask regarding the conjunction of Jupiter or Yogakarka or 10L with Gulik. Regards anu
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Now what does Sanjay Rath Ji have to say about Gulika and Maandi ???

He says , and I quote ,

The text uses ‘Mandi’ and it is seen that Mandi and Gulika have been used interchangably . Actually, these are different points in the zodiac. Mandi is the middle point of the Gulika kāla whereas Gulika is taken as the beginning of the kāla. .

Some thoughts ,

I am in a quandry :( . J hora shows both Gulika and Maandi , and has a elaborate set up under the preferences / Planetary calculations/ Upagraha calculations Tab . Most of the time , the two hang around together , Not necessarily in the same nakshatra , But in the same Rashi . Some times , Gulika and mandi occupy seperate rashi's . Do we attribute the effects of Gulika and Mandi to both houses ?? . What I feel is that we treat them at two different bodies with one general effect . I basically would like more natural malefics to be used in our charts to describe and attribute the Screw up's in our lives . :roll: :roll: . The more malefics we have the better . I am not averse to doing it at all . After all out of the 1.4 billion souls , 1 billion are on frack street , and I am tired of blaming the usual suspects Rahu, Ketu , Shani and Kuja . In my opinion , more malefics we have to play with , better the explaination for why the world is so $%^&ed up .

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 30 Jan 2011

Deepak ji,

Can you also please cover as to how prediction (timing the effect) is done on the effects of Maandi/Gulika?

Thanks
CRS

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Deepakji, How to understand vargottam Gulika? Good or bad. Good houses for Gulika are? and its effect in various houses. Regards anu

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 31 Jan 2011

Astroboy,

I once read somewhere, maybe an article by Sarajit Poddar of SJC, that regarding the placements of upagrahas, if a rashi/bhava has planets in it and upagrahas then the effects of the planets prevails. If any of the upagrahas occupy an empty bhava, it becomes very powerful and its effects prevails. Is this correct? And congrats on putting up a great series of articles.

regards
swamykool

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 31 Jan 2011

Dhum, Pat,Paridhi,Chap, Dhwaj, Kaala, Mrityu, arthaprahaara, Yamghantak, Gulik and Mandi are all Upagrahas...also called non-luminous Grahas.

IMO one should take either take all of them into consideration or none.

Considering only Gulika and Mandi is like considering only Rahu and saturn in a horoscope and leaving out the remainder 7 planets.

Gullika / Mandi have gained noterity.......bigger than their verifable impacts i think.

Gulika, Mandi and other Upagrahas in my undertsanding are minor players....the good and bad they cause on their own is order of magnitude smaller than the major 9 planets.......they do not have a life changing impact.
Hence they are not universally considered in all interpretaions.

In my read of refrences to Mandi in BPHS it enhances the impact of malefics if joining maelfics throuhg conjunction or drsihti.

Regards
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 31 Jan 2011

Why we need to concentrate on Gulika more than any other upagraha :

Phaladeepika sloka 18 chapter 25 : Gulika's association with any planet in any position will always bring evil. On the contrary Yamakantaka's association will always cause good to the native.

Sloka 19 chapter 25 : Where as Gulika is very strong in causing evil, Yamakantaka is as powerful in causing good. All the other Upagrahas show only half the power of what Mandi has in bringing about the evil.

Sloka 20 chapter 25 : 20. So far as producing the effects is concerned Gulika is akin to Saturn (We all know the power of Saturn in a Horoscope ).

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 31 Jan 2011

Dear Shilpa ji,

In B V Raman's book '300 Important Combinations' there is a yoga with Gulika as the prime component. It is called the 'Vanchana Chora Bheeti yoga', it says that if a Kendra or a Kona Lord is conjunct with Gulika the person suffers from acute mental fear of getting cheated or burgled or robbed and has a very suspicious nature. If the Lords are strong the person is mentally very alert, extremely cunning, suspicious and can actucally smell a rat a mile away. Intuition in worldly matters becomes very high. (actually a very good yoga to have for men of the world) but if the conjunct Lords are weak or severely afflicted then suspicion and fear of deprivation becomes like a mental phobia and in extreme cases can develope psychological imbalance.

In about 10-12 cases in my experience I've seen this yoga work out very well. Many Politicians, businessmen and High Govt. Officers have this yoga.

I don't use the upagrahas in calculations because I simply don't know how to, except in the above manner. And being simple mathematical points IMO they are unlikely to have any drishti...but affect the Lords of the H they occupy and/or the planets they are conjunct with.

Regards
swamykool

astroboy
Donor
Donor

April 21 2007
14 : 35 PM
Mangalore

Phaladeepika Chapter 25 Sloka 15 Should Gulika be associated with the Sun, it would prove killer of the father of the native.

1. Lagna is Leo
2. Lagna Lord is exalted
3. Ravi is the Significator for Father
4. Significator is exalted
5. 9th house Stands for Father
6. Ravi is exalted in the 9th house

Now note the Above sloka . Gulika is at 6Deg36 while Ravi is at 6Deg56 . Both are in the Nakshatra of Ketu . The child lost the father in Kuja Dasha Ravi Bukthi . I rest my case .

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 31 Jan 2011

d Gulika is akin to Saturn (We all know the power of Saturn in a Horoscope ).
Deepakji, It means Gulika is very strong in the nakshtra of Saturn. Regards anu

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Ok , after several round's of discussions with other astrologers , A clear picture seems to be emanating from the haze . The Final conclusion I have arrived at, with My understanding of the Issue is this ,.......... what I write here is purely my personal opinion from my understanding of what information I have gathered . Indeed Mandi and Gulika are two seperate points of Power in the Zodiac and they are both the "Sons" of Shani , But the point to remember and understand is that the "Effects and Significations " on a Horoscope are the same .

Logic

1. there are two different calculations for Gulika and Maandi ( Prashna Marga )
2. There are no seperate Significations for the two . Both act like one / Both are one ( Signification's wise . )

I give below the settings to be made on J Hora for calculations of Maandi and Gulika as per my Understanding of the issue . Please note that I have discussed this subject with a lot of astrologers , Including people who developed a software called "Life Sign" ( Kerala Based )

Go to the preferences Tab
Go to Upagraha calculations Tab
There set "Gulika rises at the "Beginning" of Saturn's Portion. and set Mandi rises at the "End " of saturns Portion . This I feel is the right setting to get accurate positions for both .

Any view , clarification and Advice is welcome .

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 31 Jan 2011

Since they are like Shani, remedies also like that of Shani?
Nothing is free except God's Grace.