Planet Shadbala & Debilitation confusion.

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
apota
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User
Planet Shadbala & Debilitation confusion.

Post by apota » 15 Nov 2018

A planet's Shadbala includes the Sthanbal (positional strength), so if a planet is debilitated in the Rasi chart (just by virtue of it being in a bad house - say Jupiter in Capricorn in 3rd house) but it's Shadbala is 446 virupa (> 390 i.e strong)

What does that mean?.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Planet Shadbala & Debilitation confusion.

Post by Dev » 16 Nov 2018

A planet's Shadbala includes the Sthanbal (positional strength), so if a planet is debilitated in the Rasi chart (just by virtue of it being in a bad house - say Jupiter in Capricorn in 3rd house) but it's Shadbala is 446 virupa (> 390 i.e strong)
First of all shadbala requirements are different for different planets, so we cannot generalise by saying above 390 is good.

We can have different combinations like
yogakaraka or good planet for the chart but debilitated and in good house but wit good shadbala
yogakaraka or good planet for the chart but debilitated and in average or bad house but wit low shadbala
and so on, so many combinations possible.
Also the planet could have neecha bhanga, could be badhaka, could be conjunct with natural or functional malefic and so on, so it needs high level of expertise to predict.
In fact if you compare those values with someone you know, it will only lead to confusion.

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Crystalpages » 17 Nov 2018

Dear Dev ji,

Indeed, over-reliance on shadbala or any of the other strength indicators or visualizing those as absolutes can be confusing to beginners and disillusioning to the more seasoned. Add to that the 'moving ducks' such as ayanamsha, sign vs houses (variables) and several other factors are what paint deductive astrology with grey shades, rather than black and white, which some folks (including experienced) portray and insist upon, often somewhat rigidly. Astrology to a large extent describes and conforms to what essentially is biology and biological (including sociological and demographic reality) and hence while math-based, one must remember to deal with the existence of multi-factorial variability playing a crucial role in readings and analysis-synthesis of what astrology is based on and comprises.
Rohiniranjan

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 18 Nov 2018

Dear Rohini ji,

I agree that visualizing any strength indicator as absolute can be confusing to beginners but I really dont know how many so called experts can really deal with the existence of multi-factorial variability playing a crucial role in readings and analysis? I am not undermining their capabilities but I am only pinpointing to the complexity of astrological readings.

justicetomeplease
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justicetomeplease » 04 Mar 2019

Dear apota, Jupiter over here is in its MKS. So, see the placement & also D-9 sign of Jupiter.
Shadbala of course one has to consider but till how much & compared to what extent is the important question one has to focus.
Regards

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 14 May 2019

No one particular thing is important but all put together.
Venus deep combust, jup in MKS debilitated combust and lost in planetary war and in 12th in navamsa and least in shadbala and with high kasta phala but ve/ju gave me my job, highest degree in education. Ju has neecha bhanga though.
Also at the day of joined, there is sade sathi, ve lost in war to me, ve, mu, su are in papakartari and moon debilitated.
Positive things are mars in 6th ie swashetra and ju in 7th aspecting janma lagna, rasi and moon.
So ju may not be very weak inspite of all the above indicating it as the weakest.