Planet in Gandanta

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
SoulLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Planet in Gandanta

Post by SoulLight » 18 Jun 2015

Under one of the Shiaji's post under 'chart spoliers' it is mentioned that if Moon or Lagna are in Gandanta then it can bring miseries to otherwise good looking chart. Can you please tell me what happens when planet like Jupiter is in Gandanta? How will it show its effect? Especially when Jupiter (FM) is in Mula Gandanta.
Last edited by SoulLight on 21 Jun 2015, edited 1 time in total.

SoulLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Planet in Gandanta

Post by SoulLight » 23 Feb 2016

Can someone please shed light on the above post?
Thank you!

Dhanusimha

Post by Dhanusimha » 19 May 2016

Spiritual hotchpotch. In extreme cases it exhausts your belief in things like faith and optimism (anti Jupiter)
I got a Gandanta Saturn, may be that's why I'm very straightforward in my interactions. Being the idiotic straightforward guy, I noticed that a Gandanta Jupiter also, in extreme cases, under the influence of a Bad bad AD PD and horrendous transit, pops a priceless question often - "what's the point in living?" (Priceless because life indeed is priceless)

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 19 May 2016

--there is no fixed result for when Jupiter or any planet is in acute-Gandaant...it could hit a number of areas of life...that are ruled by Jup the karak planet.... or the house that Jup Lords or sits in in the chart.

--note the difference between Gandaant ( 3deg-20') and acute-gandant is only 0 deg-30' band on either side of fire-water rashis...when the results are severe
( this was explained courtesy Shrikant and I found high verifiable on a number of charts)

--and the affect of acute-gandaant comes not too early in life....aged 30 to 50 is when it is likely to hit.....having given the native the chance to do the right karma in this life and he did not take those chances.

--In severity of damage that acute gandaant bring following is the hierarchy from most damaging to moderate damaging...

Lagna in acute gandaant
Moon in acute gandaant
another planet in acute gandaant

regards
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

Dhanusimha

Post by Dhanusimha » 19 May 2016

Thanks for sharing Shilpa.
Apart from the conditions you mentioned in the hierarchy of effects
Does it matter or add negative value to the situation if
#1. Lagnesh is Gandanta?
#2. Vargottama planets in Gandanta?
#3. AK Gandanta in Karakamsa?

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by ChandraLagna » 20 May 2016

It is worth once looking at what the classics say about this Gandaanth.

Mantreshwar says in his Phaladeepika:
If the birth occurs in Gandanta the death takes place either of the parents or
the native himself. If, however, the native survives he becomes splendorous like a
king
(The sandhis between Pisces and Aries, Cancer and Leo and Scorpio and
Sagittarius are called gandanta). The person, who is born in Sandhi associated with
or aspected by malefics will not see Sunrise. The same result may be expected if
the Moon at birth attains tne fateful degree in any sign and is at the same time
posited in a Kendra or the 8th house.
Pitruyashas in Horasara
The child born, when there is Lagn Sandhi is either born, dead, or short lived (if born). Should such Lagn receive a Drishti from malefics, the said results are sure to follow. Birth in Gandanta Nakshatr is destructive of the whole family. Should such a child, however, live, then it becomes a king with an army of elephants and horses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second point is that, gandaanths are the NOT same for Lagna and Nakshatra.

Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra is very clear in the definition of Gandaanth:
3. Similarly the last two Ghatikas of Revati and first two Ghatikas of Ashvini, the last two Ghatikas of Aslesha and first two Ghatikas of Magha and the last two Ghatikas of Jyeshtha and first two Ghatikas of Mula are known, as Nakshatr Gandanta.

4. The last half Ghatika of Meen and first half Ghatika of Mesh, the last half Ghatika of Kark and first half Ghatika of Simh, the last half Ghatika of Vrischik and first half Ghatika of Dhanu are known, as Lagn Gandanta.
--भज गोविन्दं... भज गोविन्दं...गोविन्दं भज, मूढमते --

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

Dhanusimha

Post by Dhanusimha » 20 May 2016

Hi chandralagna ji,
So does that not suggest that the phenomena of Gandanta is largely limited to moon and lagna? I assume ghatika means degrees? Thank you for the post.

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 20 May 2016

Dear CL......

there are two types of Gandaant

1) There are I believe 8 naksahtras that span across two rasis...and a planet in these is deemed to be in a gandaant between two-Rasis
This is not a serious condition in my view

2) The "serious Gandant" or simply Gandant ......that denotes a serious karmik backlog are planets that are defined to be 3deg-20' on either side of the fire-water Rasis boundary ( sandhi)

They are in a single Nakshtra on either side of the Pi-Ari, Can-Leo, Sco-Saggi rasis ( in the 6 naakshtras as listed below)

and this is where the "really-really serious" condition is when the planet is in the last 30" of these nakstras on the Rasi-sandhi side

Lagna, Moon , any planet (including Lagna lord) in these 6 Nakshatras....and especially when in the last 30deg on the fire-water boundary side is the serious-problem case

Degrees Rashi Nakshatra Amsha/Pada

Degrees Rashi Nakshatra Amsha/Pada
26º00-30:00 Pisces Revati Pisces
0º00- 3º20 Aries Ashwini Aries
26º40-30º00 Cancer Ashlesha Pisces
0º00- 3º20 Leo Magha Aries
26º40-30º00 Scorpio Jyeshta Pisces
0º00- 3º20 Sagittarius Mula Aries

regards
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

god_fearing
Contributor
Contributor

Post by god_fearing » 20 May 2016

Shilpa-ji,

What is the reason behind having a planet/s in gandanta? What is it trying to teach the native? After all everything is finally targeted at the soul learning its lessons and maturing, is it not?

For e.g. - I have my AK and 7L Sun in acute gandanta at 28Sc49'. Does it imply 'relationships' is my area of learning in this birth?

Additionally, are the serious gandants mentioned by you in any particular order of progression -> say from Pi-Ar to Cn-Le and finally peaking in-terms of effects at Sc-Sg?

regards
sandeep
To everything, there is a time and a season.

djoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by djoe » 21 May 2016

Respected Shilpaji,
I have three planets in Revati and one in Ashwini, what does this mean for me?
details 10Apr69, 16:20, Itarsi
Regards

SoulLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by SoulLight » 21 May 2016

Dear Shilpaji,

You have nailed it when you pointed out how Gandanta planet in last 30 deg shows its effect between 30-50 years of age.
I would like to highlight Sage Bhrigu's BSP technique of 32nd year for Jupiter.
http://www.saptarishisastrology.com/dow ... SP11BW.doc
Jupiter activates its 5th aspect and sometimes where it sits in the same house and yet 7th aspect at 32nd year.
Given my Jupiter being a FM and situated in acute Moola Gandanta at 00:36 deg activated 8th house and 12th house by its 5th aspect. My Jupiter is in 8th House Saggi in Mula Nakshatra. 5th aspect usually is unlocking of the traits of that house. In my 32nd year, 12th house related things started surfacing like 4th dimension effects of Black Magic and Evil Spirits, secret hidden enemies, enemies causing financial trouble, health and physical and mental trouble, making spiritual at the same time with interest in Astrology and Mantras due to activation of 8th house as well as my 12th Lord Mars in 5th aspects 8th house in 32nd year (another BSP), so Mars sitting in 5th house of Mantras activated 8th house activating all 3 planets Jup, Mer and Sun. Extreme torture was given by my secret enemies to the point of me trying to commit suicide.
I cannot say Moon although in Magha is Bad or in Gandanta as its pada-3 and my main Moon MD effect is more due to its lordship of 3rd house (death according to Bhavat Bhavam). Currently going through Moon-Jup-Mer Dasha again activating 3rd and 8th houses. This Jup although is at 00:36 deg, it activates fully at the age of 32 and Shadbala is #2 making it even stronger I guess. In addition, Mars and Saturn's aspect on Jup is still a malefic only. Not sure how the same Jup in Moola in some other house would show its effect.
Thanks,
SL

pheobewinterbottom

Post by pheobewinterbottom » 23 Feb 2018

Oh well isn’t this funny? My ASC is asleesha 3rd pada, sun in jyestha 2 pada, and moon/Saturn in revati 1st panda. All are almost gandanta but not really.
If anything, I think only my asc would be gandanta since it’s 3rd pada, though I don’t remember the EXACT degree.
But my mother nor I died, so maybe I’m not gandanta in the true sense.
But my mother DID have an exceedingly difficult birth with me, and if it weren’t for modern medical technology and the experienced gyno who delivered me, neither of us would have survived.
After my mother was in labor for almost a whole 24hrs, the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck as I was about to come out. Since other options were not available, the doctor had to insert both his hands into my mother’s vagina, unwrap the cord around my neck, and pull me out. My mother couldn’t yell once the entire labor/delivery because my sister was there and she didn’t want to scare her. She just screamed once during that last part where the doctor had to insert his hands inside her. She screamed “THEY’RE KILLING ME!”
And that was that. lol
And could you believe that after 30+ years of professional experience, I was the last baby that doctor delievered? He was set to retire right after delivering me. Goosebumps. He even said it was as if he stayed back in the job just for me.
I also have a friend born in gandanta Leo asc, less than 1 degree, true gandanta. Her mother and her are fine, but her parents separated as soon as she was born. Like her birth caused it or something.