Kendra and Kona: special considerations

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Kendra and Kona: special considerations

Post by shilpa » 01 Nov 2014

Kendra and Kona

The concept of Kendra and Kona ( also called angular and trines) is one of the most fundamental thing that stands out pretty early when you read BPHS.
I keep going back to the basics because there is a lot of power in the basics of parashari astrology.
They are the proverbial “ elephants in the room” that one must not miss in the chart . If you do not miss any of the simple basics in the Rasi chart alone……85% of the horoscope is covered in my view.

In my view look at fancy sounding , difficult to calculate features, or sophisticated D-charts( means beyond navamsa), or alternative lagnas or Bhavat Bahvam type concepts generally add the last 10% to 15%
So one should not miss the first 85%.....formed on simple basic rules….”the elephant in the room”

I have over the years made 2 observations that I will share here and all are free to validate it on the charts they see:

1) Kendra:
--everyone knows Kendra houses and theories associated with planets sitting in Kendra houses and I won’t dwell on this. It’s amply available in various books.

--I would rather draw attention to what is often missed….planets in kendra to each other. Planets in 1-1 (conjunction) and 7-7( mutual aspect ) are not easily missed, so really the case that is missed and people should pay attention to are planets in 4-10 to each other.

--planets 4-10 to each other sitting in any houses of the chart are in my view in association and have a tremendous bearing on how the chart behaves. So is Me and Mo OR Sa and Ma are 4-10 to each other then they produce effects similar to Me-Mo/ Sa-Ma conjunctions and are like a chart spoiler ( explained on this thread)
http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ph ... =5&t=26095
and Jup-Mo 4-10 to each other is Gaj-kesari yoga
--exalted planets in 4-10 to each other I believe lose their exaltation and debilitated planets in 4-10 to each other face a strong cancellation of debility…..again explained on the thread above.

--so in summary bitter enemies 4-10 to each other ( Me-Mo, Sa-Ma, Sa-Mo) weaken the foundation of the chart and close friends ( such as Jup-Su-Mo-Ma family) OR ( Ve-Sa couple) provide solid support to the chart

--if the 4-10 planets happen to be in natural kendras…then the strength or weakness they lend to the chart gets multiplied maybe by a factor of 4

2) Kona:
--everyone knows Kona houses and theories associated with planets sitting in Kona houses and I won’t dwell on this. It’s amply available in various books.

--what I would suggest people take a note of are the planets 5-9 to each other. These are the lucky/ gift house and if these planets are favorable to each other gifts are “added” to the chart…that propel the charts and the native to higher levels of success.

For example Jup-Mo in trines to each other is akin to Gaj-Kesrai yoga but not quite the full yoga itself
Su-Mo in trines could depict a royal lineage, comfort or political rise
Me-Jup in trines would mean gift of intelligence
Sa-Venus would mean less troubles and good comforts

--Meanwhile planets unfavorable to each other in trines are “negatives” that take away from the chart, dilute / diminish the potential of the chart

--if the 5-9 planets happen to be in natural kona houses…then the gifts or negatives they lend to the chart gets multiplied maybe by a factor of 4 in my view.

--deviating from the subject of planets 5-9 to each other …as an aside 5-9 and 9-5 periods have been called lucky periods of life

regards

1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Kendra and Kona: special considerations

Post by shilpa » 01 Nov 2014

some examples.....
chart-1; 9jun, 1972, lucknow, 11:55am

Ra-Moon are in 4-10 to each otehr to each other and the native is perpetually high strung, driven by anxiety and lived / traveled extensively in foreign lands.
since Ra is known to create this fear / anxiety on the mind when in conncetion with moon
and Ra-Moon both are karaks of foreign lands / long distance overseas travels

chart:2--aug8, 1970, 7:51am, Lucknow

look at the shani-moon 4-10 to each other, both debilitated and the best periods of growth and material prosperity for this native have come in the antaras of Mars and Saturn
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

aadi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aadi » 01 Nov 2014

In my chart ' 4th house- rahu Jupiter Venus mercury
10th house - ketu. What will be effects?

aadi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aadi » 01 Nov 2014

Cancer ascendant . 1 - mars 7- moon. 8 - Saturn

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 02 Nov 2014

Lagna is both Kendra and Trikone since Trikone [ Triangle] needs three points[ 1H, 5H, 9H].As an extension of this principle the two planet conjunct should be in Kendra and Trikone from each other?
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 02 Nov 2014

anuradha wrote:Lagna is both Kendra and Trikone since Trikone [ Triangle] needs three points[ 1H, 5H, 9H].As an extension of this principle the two planet conjunct should be in Kendra and Trikone from each other?

yes that's true......kendra from each other would be 1 or 7-7 or 4-10
and Kona from each other would be 1 or 5-9 from each other.

but 1 from each other means conjunction and 7-7 is mutual aspect...so these are obvious cases.

really the unique ones that I am trying to point out on this thread are 4-10 and 5-9 cases
regards

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

that's true......kendra from each other would be 1 or 7-7 or 4-10

but 1 from each other means conjunction and 7-7 is mutual aspect...so these are obvious cases.

really the unique ones that I am trying to point out on this thread are 4-10 and 5-9 cases
regards
Then it means conjunction of two planets has special significance since it is both in Kendra and Trikone from each other, which is just like Yogakarka effect?
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 02 Nov 2014

anuradha wrote:
that's true......kendra from each other would be 1 or 7-7 or 4-10

regards
Then it means conjunction of two planets has special significance since it is both in Kendra and Trikone from each other, which is just like Yogakarka effect?

My view:
conjunction is the strongest form of association between two planets.....so obviously it has the strongest impact on the chart
followed by mutual aspect
followed by mutual exchange of houses
followed by 4-10 to each other

5-9 is not really an association but it does add "positive gifts" or "negative fines" on the chart

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot. regards.

aadi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aadi » 03 Nov 2014

Hello shilpa mam
May I expect a reply? :/ :)

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 03 Nov 2014

aadi wrote:Hello shilpa mam
May I expect a reply? :/ :)

Dear friend
please post your date, time place of birth
thx

ashtalakshmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by ashtalakshmi » 03 Nov 2014

Shilpa ji, when you say positive gifts or negative fines for 5-9 association, do you mean saturn -moon or saturn-mars in trines from each other will give negative results? I thought planets in trine to each other will give positive results irrespective of their enemity/ friendship.

And by conjunction , what are the minimum closeness of the degrees required for better results or worse results? For example if mars and saturn are conjunct by 20 degrees apart, will the native get mild negative results because they are far from each other?

aadi
Contributor
Contributor

Very nice post. :)
Last edited by aadi on 05 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

ashtalakshmi wrote:Shilpa ji, when you say positive gifts or negative fines for 5-9 association, do you mean saturn -moon or saturn-mars in trines from each other will give negative results? I thought planets in trine to each other will give positive results irrespective of their enemity/ friendship.

And by conjunction , what are the minimum closeness of the degrees required for better results or worse results? For example if mars and saturn are conjunct by 20 degrees apart, will the native get mild negative results because they are far from each other?
Underlined part---YES

re:Conjunction look at 3 criteria for the "strength of it"

--the closer the conjunction the stronger it is.....but once the planet are in the same Parasahri house they are conjunct
--the closer the conjunction to the MEP of the chart...the stronger the conjunction
--the stronger the conjunction if both planets are moving towards each other...i.e the resultant velocity concept of physics applies.

this is the concept of YOGA or VIYOGA

for example Mars at 15deg moving forward and saturn at 20deg (retro) is moving back towards Mars....is very strong

--when we see yogas in general or conjunction in particular.....how much they will yield result depends on the net resultant velocity.
If the planets are going away from each other then they are in Viyoga i.e less strong yoga /conjunction
if they coming together to meet such as in the example I gave....then its a strong Yoga/conjunction

--or if faster planet will overtake a slower planet, a strong yoga / conjunction will be formed...for example Sun at 15deg is moving towards Sa at 20deg, we know from the speeds of Su and Sa they will meet in the same house.....a strong Yoga / conjunction will be formed.

regards

ashtalakshmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by ashtalakshmi » 03 Nov 2014

Thank you Shilpa ji, that was very clear.

Suppose if rahu is in 28 degrees and saturn is also in 27 or 28 degrees and is retro, should we consider both are moving in the same direction and since both are slow moving planets, the conjunction is closer and stronger?

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

aadi wrote:Date - 14-10-1994
Time 2:15 am
Place - dhar M.P
Dear Aadi,

you have 3 adverse associations...

-- Mo-Sa and Ra-Ma (which automatically puts Ma-Ket in association) and Mo-Me whihc is in a 5-9 relation so not really an association but does impact the chart

these will adversely impact the mental focus required for learning / studies,intellectual pursuits, anxiety and anger / aggression management

you 2 positive associations....

--Mo-Jup ( a varriant of Gaj kesari yoga) and Su-Mo
the former in some way copensates wisdom / knowledge learning pursuits and the latter simply offers Good luck fortune

and the chart / personality is some kind of net-summation of all thes good and the advserse yogas
regards

aadi
Contributor
Contributor

These associations are due to aspect .. What about 4th house libra with different conjuctions. How to interpret these conjuctions .at the same time planets are retrograde.help me to interpret it.
Thanks a lot :)
Regards

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

aadi wrote:These associations are due to aspect .. What about 4th house libra with different conjuctions. How to interpret these conjuctions .at the same time planets are retrograde.help me to interpret it.
Thanks a lot :)
Regards

Dear aadi,
yes there are a number of things that can be interpreted from the chart...but for now I have limited to the context of the thread....associations due to 4-10 and influences due to 5-9

regards

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 03 Nov 2014

The point on Yoga and Vigyoga shows the following good yogas coming into my life :

- Moon Conjuct Jupiter
- Moon Trine Sun
- Sun Trine Jupiter (more exact)
- Mars Square Jupiter
- Sun Conjunct Mercury
- Venus Opposition Saturn (more exact)
- Jupiter Square Saturn
- Mercury Square Jupiter (perfect with no orbs)

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 03 Nov 2014

And Venus Opposition Jupiter too

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 04 Nov 2014

Dear Khoo.....yes you have a " very associated chart"......7 planets are in mutual kendra with various otehr planets

and about 4 planets are in 5-9 relationship with otehr planets.
Innumerable yogas are being formed here.

and the good thing is that the naturally adverse yogas seem to be VIYOGAS whihc means weak ones and the good ones are strong ones.

this manifests itsefl in a personality / mind that has a far more complicated and sensitive network......with many times more connections than an average mind would have.

On the positive side....your can process and synthesyze many more variables in your mind.....

On the negative side...it makes you too overly sentitive to smaller stimuli also

regards

justalearner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justalearner » 04 Nov 2014

Nice Informative Shilpaji.
Mine too is one of a chart of conjunctions with Ra-Ke acting as the Gatekeepers (North Gate-South Gate) :mrgreen:

SU-ME-VE-MO conjunct
Sa-Ju conjunct

17-Oct-82
Kalyan,Maharashtra
2:46am

The one aspect I have always been worried about was that of the Gatekeeper KE in 4th from my Moon sign in 5th house. :roll:

Rgds,
JAL
- Keep learning and keep yearning to keep learning more...

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 04 Nov 2014

justalearner wrote:Nice Informative Shilpaji.
Mine too is one of a chart of conjunctions with Ra-Ke acting as the Gatekeepers (North Gate-South Gate) :mrgreen:

SU-ME-VE-MO conjunct
Sa-Ju conjunct

17-Oct-82
Kalyan,Maharashtra
2:46am

The one aspect I have always been worried about was that of the Gatekeeper KE in 4th from my Moon sign in 5th house. :roll:

Rgds,
JAL
- Keep learning and keep yearning to keep learning more...
--yes 4 planets are associated with the Nodes i.e Su, Mo, Ve and Me

creates a Mild Pitru-dosha the afflcition of Sun
a pitru-dosha pujan will help

but at the same time some very strong dhan yogas are formed

-Ra is 5-9 with Sa and Jup

--multiple associations means a complex mind sensitive to many variables / stimuli around you...and when planets are between the nodes invariably many associations gets formed...whihc are the reaosn for the comlexity and sensitivities in the personality.
Often times neo-commercial astrologers attribute this to Karp Sarp Yoga

regards

ashtalakshmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by ashtalakshmi » 04 Nov 2014

Shilpa ji is there any significance for mars-moon, saturn-venus and sun-moon's 4-10 relationships?

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 05 Nov 2014

ashtalakshmi wrote:Shilpa ji is there any significance for mars-moon, saturn-venus and sun-moon's 4-10 relationships?
Ma-Mo is chandra Mangal yoga....signifies wealth
Saturn-Venus signifies comfortable living...with less hurdles in life
Sun-Moon...signifies single minded determination of purpose and good fortune

regards