Retrogading Aspects - Rahu and Ketu

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Retrogading Aspects - Rahu and Ketu

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 28 Jan 2009

Hi

In my earlier post, I mentioned that Rahu and Ketu being invisible planets, they cannot be involved in planetary wars becvause whether they are at the lower or higher longtitude, they do not block the other planet and there is also no concept of blocking by the other planet respectively (unless someone can correct me about this occulsion principle for Rahu and Ketu).

But considering their retrogading aspects is another thing altogether.

Planets when they retrogade, we consider them as aspecting from the previous house. If we accept Rahu and Ketu as full fledge planets with aspects, then we should also apply the same principle to them as well for retrogading aspects. Just because they retrogade 99% of the time does not mean that as such, retrogading aspects should not be attributed to them. If we are to treat Vedic as a science, there must be a reason for any exceptions that we propose.

So if we accpet Rahu and Ketu as aspecting the 12th, 5th, 9th and 7th houses fully, then altogether for full aspects, each of the node makes 10 aspects altogether counting the house they are in.

Regards

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Replies

Hi

Any replies to this post is welcomed.

Regards

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Rahu and Ketu - Should be 9 Aspects

Hi

Some rectification.

The total aspects for Rahu and Ketu should be 9 instead of 10 because the normal 12th House Aspect is always attributed to them already (for those camp of astrologers who believe in their aspects and also consider their 12th House aspect - like myself).

Otherwise there will be a double counting on the 12th House aspect.

Regards

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

No Retrogading Aspects for Rahu and Ketu

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 04 Apr 2009

Hi

This is a clarification on my earlier post where I said Rahu and Ketu have retrogading aspects unless proven otherwise. Why exclude them?

But then I have thought about it. Rahu and Ketu are shadowy planets. Although they have sign rulerships (I still believe that) but they also give higher than average results than other Grahas of the houses (Tanu, Bandhu, Yuvati, Karm, Labh, or Sahajor) or signs (must be benefic) they are placed in and the aspects they receive and the planets they conjunct with. This is according to BPHS.

To place them as if they are also aspecting from the previous hose is NOT likely. I would rather say they stick like 'glue' to the house they are in.

Also I believe Ketu does not cast any aspect at all unlike Rahu which casts 5th, 9th and 12th aspects. Ketu is the serpent's tail and does not have a head. This is actually what is meant by it being a 'dumb node'. It has no sight.

Now we come to the rulership of Rahu and Ketu. I have also given much thought about their actual rulership.

Rahu being a highly materialistic planet, concentrates all out its effort in getting riches. As such, it does well in Uppachaya Houes which is the 3rd, 6th and 11th. These correspond to the signs Gemini, Virgo and Aquarius. So it should rule these three signs. The 3rd house is the place where it has a direct bearing on effort and action. Hence Rahu is Moolatrikona in Gemini. Rahu is exalted in Taurus because the 2nd House is a material house associated with Rahu but it is not an Uppachaya House. Rahu enjoys being in Taurus. It does not require effort on its part. It just attracts prosperity. Rahu rules Aquarius because it is synonymous with what the sign stand for.

Ketu rules Pisces and Sagittarius both dealing with spiritual enlightenment although Pisces has more to do with Moksha. Ketu is Moolatrikona in Sagittarius because it is easier for Ketu to attain spiritual enlightenement in Sagittarius - it gains spiritual blessings wihout the necessary penance and it has a higher understandng of spiritual matters because Sagittarius confers breadth of vision (unlike Pisces which is breadth of understanding). Ketu is exalted in Scorpio because Scorpio understand the higher principles of spiritual enlightenement by default since the individual is born. Ketu enjoys being in Scorpio as not much hard work is required to attain Moksha. Ketu hence also rules Scorpio as it it synonymous with what the sign stand for.

Although what I said is above is in agreement with BPHS, if you look at the slokas of BPHS from 52-60, they consider only the rulership of Rahu and Ketu only if they are ruling Maraka houses ie. 2nd and 7th only. Thus the rulership of Rahu and Ketu is given less significance even though earlier chapters much has been debiliterated on their rulership.

Any planet conjunct with Rahu is always weak and during the Dasa of that planet it is not so good. For Rahu, the usual criterion for it to be Yog Karaka applies as detailed in BPHS. That is in trinal house conjuncting a Kendra Lord OR in kendra house conjuncting a Trinal Lord (the 7th house aspect is included as well for this consideration). Then during their periods it is good. Also their maleficence is only removed if they rule a Kon House (and notKendra House) although like I mentioned in the previous paragraph, it is not considered much in the interpretation of their Dasa and Antardasa effects other than for their rulership of the Maraka Houses.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Replies and Additional Point

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 06 Apr 2009

Hi Janakshah

I think what you said is in accord to what I mentioned actually. Because Rahu has more malefic effect ON THE HOUSE than on the planet it conjuncts, the effect comes up not only in the AREAS ruled by that house in question (eg. Rahu in 1st would give a person a big ego), but also during the dasa of the planet that conjuncts Rahu. This is because the planet concerned is weak and cannot give its full effects for the house it is placed in. But Rahu does not affect so much the things the planet signifies in a sense of making it twisted.

Another point :

Below I mentioned that

[quote]

Although what I said is above is in agreement with BPHS, if you look at the slokas of BPHS from 52-60, they consider only the rulership of Rahu and Ketu only if they are ruling Maraka houses ie. 2nd and 7th only. Thus the rulership of Rahu and Ketu is given less significance even though earlier chapters much has been debiliterated on their rulership.

[unquote]

I also want to add that although BPHS do not want to give emphasis on Rahu and Ketu rulership for considering their effects in their respective dasa or antardasa periods other than their ruling Maraka house, it did qualify itself that Rahu and Ketu MUST NOT be in debilitation. This means for Rahu it would be Scorpio and for Ketu it would be Taurus.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Mercury and Rahu

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 09 Apr 2009

Hi

One point I want to bring up is that Rahus's thinking process is somewhat obsessive and crooked which is not like Mercury with logic and intelligence. Thus the source of Rahu's thinking prowess is not from Mercury. In fact Mercury adds a bit of systematic thinking to Rahu.

This is why even though Gemini and Virgo are also ruled by Rahu, they do not have as bad a reputation as Aquarius. This is due to Mercury's inluence.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Anupam1968

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 11 Apr 2009

Hi Anupam

Yes, I am going though the north node at the moment under Pratyantardasa. Venus has been Antardasa for some time before this current Pratyantardas. Both are conjuncting in the 1st House.

Saturn has been my Maha Dasa.

Yes, in fact BPHS says that Rahu does well in Kendra and Trikona like what you said (although many astrologers say it does well in Uppachaya as well but this is not indicated in BPHS). At least you verified what BPHS stated as well because earlier blogs there were mention by some others of different houses which Rahu is supposed to be well placed in.

But two qualifications are needed :

(1) This means that the degree of malificence given by Rahu to each house varies depending on which is the house in question.

(2) Maleficence can mean distortion of the normal functioning of the house like obsessive and compulsive behaviour but it may still prove beneficial to the native concerned during the dasa period of Rahu FOR CERTAIN HOUSES.

Thanks for the informative and sincere reply.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Something About Rahu

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 18 Apr 2009

Hi

Just wanted to add that even though the signs Aquarius and Gemini are accorded as having the rulership of Rahu, placement of Rahu in these signs DOES NOT give auspicious effects. This is the only exception amongst all the planets (other than of course Saturn in Aquarius to a very, very much lesser extent although we do have a general principle that natural malefics when strong in a chart can given beneficial results - actually in my opinion Saturn in Capricorn is better).

In fact certain astrological community says that one of the ways Kala Sarpa Yoga can be annulled is as follows :

If Rahu is in Aries, Taurus, Cancer, Virgo or Capricorn then Rahu bestows auspicious results, provided these signs do not fall in the 6th, 8th or 12th houses. Under these conditions, Kaala Sarpa Yoga gets transformed to Kaala Amruta Yoga.

Thus Rahu is considered well placed in Aires, Cancer and Capricorn, even though it is not accorded rulership or exaltation in these signs. Of course this same astrological community does not agree with the assignment of rulership in this post (based on BPHS) but I believe rulership exists for Gemini and Aquarius because of my argument earlier, but I also believe that Rahu DOES NOT give good effects in Gemini and Aquarius (if the signs are overlaying an Uppachaya House at the same time, then the bad effects can somewhat be mitigated if Rahu is placed there as well - it is as if the style is appropriate for that particular house).

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Reply to Rajitha

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 21 Apr 2009

Hi Rajitha

If you look at the book by B V Rahman on the effects given by Rahu in Gemini, all the effects given are inauspicious. On top of that, as I mentioned, there is an aritcle of the cancellation of Kala Sarpa Yoga by this astrological community which does not include Gemini as one of its signs.

My own interpretation is that Rahu is generally a malefic planet with wild schemes. To give it a title of it being good in a sign its effects must not be enhanced like in Taurus where there is no need for Rahu to put in an extra effort to gain what they want otherwise there may be unconditional side effects no matter how good the overall beneficial outcome.

In Virgo it is different even though it is an Uppachaya sign because Virgo is concerned with work so the energy of Rahu is channelled towards work issues which actually bogs Rahu down to microscopic details (rather than Gemini where it is concerned with the immediate environment - and that certainly giving Rahu too much of a leeway!). But the house where Gemini is overlaid matters as well of course as I have already mentioned.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

nrjtrvd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nrjtrvd » 22 Apr 2009

Opinions welcome -

Rahu conjunct Moon in Scorpio (4th house). Its dispositor Mars is debilitated in Cancer. Venus conjunct Ketu in 10th house of Taurus.

What is Rahu's condition in this case?

krissowmya

rahu +moon

Post by krissowmya » 18 Aug 2009

what are the effects seen if rahu+moon combination happens in makara for a saggi lagna?

satrun happens to be in 9 th house?
jupiter on lagna,sun+mars+mercury in 11th ,venus in 12th house..

Does rahu+moon indicate any dispute with native's mother?

Punit

Re: No Retrogading Aspects for Rahu and Ketu

Post by Punit » 03 Oct 2009

Dear Khoo,

For a female native in case, Rahu is with moon in 5th house.

Ascendant is LEO.

Saturn is aspecting from 11th house and Mars is aspecting 5th house from 10th house.

Mahadaha is of Rahu and Anterdasha is of Kethu.

What will be the impact of such combination on the native. Native is married with one son.

venus is in 6th house, Sun, Mercury and Jupiter are in 7th house.

Regards/ Punit

[quote="Khoo Hock Leong"]Hi

This is a clarification on my earlier post where I said Rahu and Ketu have retrogading aspects unless proven otherwise. Why exclude them?

But then I have thought about it. Rahu and Ketu are shadowy planets. Although they have sign rulerships (I still believe that) but they also give higher than average results than other Grahas of the houses (Tanu, Bandhu, Yuvati, Karm, Labh, or Sahajor) or signs (must be benefic) they are placed in and the aspects they receive and the planets they conjunct with. This is according to BPHS.

To place them as if they are also aspecting from the previous hose is NOT likely. I would rather say they stick like 'glue' to the house they are in.

Also I believe Ketu does not cast any aspect at all unlike Rahu which casts 5th, 9th and 12th aspects. Ketu is the serpent's tail and does not have a head. This is actually what is meant by it being a 'dumb node'. It has no sight.

Now we come to the rulership of Rahu and Ketu. I have also given much thought about their actual rulership.

Rahu being a highly materialistic planet, concentrates all out its effort in getting riches. As such, it does well in Uppachaya Houes which is the 3rd, 6th and 11th. These correspond to the signs Gemini, Virgo and Aquarius. So it should rule these three signs. The 3rd house is the place where it has a direct bearing on effort and action. Hence Rahu is Moolatrikona in Gemini. Rahu is exalted in Taurus because the 2nd House is a material house associated with Rahu but it is not an Uppachaya House. Rahu enjoys being in Taurus. It does not require effort on its part. It just attracts prosperity. Rahu rules Aquarius because it is synonymous with what the sign stand for.

Ketu rules Pisces and Sagittarius both dealing with spiritual enlightenment although Pisces has more to do with Moksha. Ketu is Moolatrikona in Sagittarius because it is easier for Ketu to attain spiritual enlightenement in Sagittarius - it gains spiritual blessings wihout the necessary penance and it has a higher understandng of spiritual matters because Sagittarius confers breadth of vision (unlike Pisces which is breadth of understanding). Ketu is exalted in Scorpio because Scorpio understand the higher principles of spiritual enlightenement by default since the individual is born. Ketu enjoys being in Scorpio as not much hard work is required to attain Moksha. Ketu hence also rules Scorpio as it it synonymous with what the sign stand for.

Any planet conjunct with Rahu is always weak and during the Dasa of that planet it is not so good. For Rahu, the usual criterion for it to be Yog Karaka applies as detailed in BPHS. That is in trinal house conjuncting a Kendra Lord OR in kendra house conjuncting a Trinal Lord (the 7th house aspect is included as well for this consideration). Then during their periods it is good. Also their maleficence is only removed if they rule a Kon House (and notKendra House) although like I mentioned in the previous paragraph, it is not considered much in the interpretation of their Dasa and Antardasa effects other than for their rulership of the Maraka Houses.

Thanks.

Hock Leong[/quote]

broken1wing

Re: No Retrogading Aspects for Rahu and Ketu

Post by broken1wing » 21 Nov 2009

Thanks.

Hock Leong[/quote]

[b]Let me understand, that if my daughter's Rahu and Me are in 3rd house in saggitarius, then it should be really auspicious for her if she puts in a lot of effort into education and life?????She is a Libra ascendent.[/b]

gnanpipasu

Rahu benefically placed in Kendra or trikona

Post by gnanpipasu » 23 Nov 2009

[quote="anupam1968"]Rahu works like a very strong protector if he is benefically placed in Kendra or trikona.]
You will be able to tell from my question that I am a novice. Is it that simple to say if the Rahu is placed in 1st 5th or 9th house it will give good effect to the native?

pink1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pink1 » 27 Nov 2009

hi all,

Rahu and Ketu are shadowy planets. These planets work depend on their masters ownerships in Rasi and Navamsa. On their own they are not either totally good or totally bad. They imbibe the good or bad from their masters. Again this is dependent on an individual's horoscope. Like other planets, they have their own good and bad natural characteristics. While analysng the periods of Rahu and Ketu one has to bear all these points.

Inbah

Post by Inbah » 27 Nov 2009

Hi All,
Very interesting discussion on Rahu and Ketu.

I read somewhere that either Rahu or Ketu should be well placed in one's chart. It is no so in my chart. I am a Cancer Ascendent with Moon+Ketu in 11H and SA+Rahu in 5H. Here SA is parivartana with MA in 8H.
Also, SU (debilitated) & VE is parivartana between 2H & 4H.
Currently running JU/RA/RA period.

My questions are:

1) How is SA kendra lord+ Rahu in the 5H?

2) How is Moon +Ketu in the 11H good, as they are in the upachaya house?

I would be delighted to get some comments on this.

Thank you

Inbah

Inbah

Post by Inbah » 02 Dec 2009

Can some of you learned astrologers comment on the above?

Thank you.

vpn

saturn+rahu

Post by vpn » 28 Jul 2010

hi all,

have saturn+rahu in fourth house, please comment on the same. d.o.b. 6th feb, 79, time:13 24, place,rajkot-india

vpn

Hina
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Retrogading Aspects - Rahu and Ketu

Post by Hina » 31 Jul 2010

[quote][/quote]If Sun is conjunct with Ketu, confidence is impaired. And the person may suffer on account of a father. The person may be secretive and distrustful.[quote][/quote]

I know a person with Sun with ketu in 10th houe. This is one of the most confident person I knoow. Not only that, wherever he works, he very soon rises to the top/ leadership position as he inspires so much faith and confidence in his ability to get things done. This is not just work, but even in social situations. In a group of people, he is soon the leader of a group. I have seen him get up & give extempore speeches in situations most people would hide. He is a born leader. Incidentally, he has saturn with rahu in 4th house.

He lost his father at an early age (25 years/ father was only 52).

Hina
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Hina » 31 Jul 2010

Re- previous post, he has other excellent yogas in his chart & also the right dasha periods. I believe that he succeeds despite rehu & ketu placed like that in his chart due to the great placement of other planets in his chart.

How do you judge a popular person in a chart where people naturally gravitate to such person?

vpn

Post by vpn » 04 Oct 2010

hi hina,

thanks so much for your post, read it late, unfortunately! yes, as far as confidence and getting social acceptance goes, i'm fortunate enough to garner the same too! what is bothering me is my own self assessment and my inability to break free from the shackles that i'm in right now. I'm desperate to leave my native place, have no piece of mind right now and in a patchy marriage too. Make no mistake, i've a lovely life partner, so something's wrong with me.

Can you please analyse and suggest?

vpn

Patriot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Patriot » 06 Nov 2010

Dear All,

Greetings!!

What would be the (general)effect of the following combinations.

1. Rahu + sun in cancer( 10th house)
2. Rahu+ Sun in cancer( 7th house)
3. Rahu+moon in saggitarus(2nd house)
4. Ketu + sun in gemini( 8th house)

looking forward for your comments.

2002diksha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by 2002diksha » 22 Aug 2011

hi,
i am baffled by the exaltation signs of rahu and ketu. everyone says that rahu is exalted in taurus.but in Jhora they show rahu exalted in gemini while ketu exalted in sagitarius. which id true. it is important to know the exaltation signs because results vary for different eaxltation signs.also the issue of placement of venus with ketu. how much harmful for the native it is.
regards.