Significance of Mystical Number 108

For discussion about any article, old or new, on the LightOnVedicAstrology.com or JournalOfAstrology.com websites.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Significance of Mystical Number 108

Post by Vaughn Paul » 08 Dec 2006

Hi everyone,
I just received an email from a woman named Rohini today and she mentioned a fascinating fact regarding the signicance of the mystical number 108. She said:

"Did you know (regarding the mystical nature of the
number 108) that the distance between the earth and moon
is equivalent to 108 moons placed in a row, and the
distance between the earth and sun is equivalent to 108
suns in a row...quite amazing!!!"

I checked out the data and she's right. Thanks Rohini! I've added this to my article,
http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ar ... nce108.htm.

Vaughn Paul

ketaki1981

Re: Significance of Mystical Number 108

Post by ketaki1981 » 30 May 2010

and also.... heard There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108. Sri Yantra: On the Sri Yantra there are marmas where three lines intersect, and there are 54 such intersections. Each intersections has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti qualities. 54 x 2 equals 108. Thus, there are 108 points that define the Sri Yantra as well as the human body, & pls http://www.hknet.org.nz/108meaning.html

vidhyanine
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by vidhyanine » 14 Sep 2010

I've heard that 9 is the religious number which signfies God. 108 = 9.
Anything times 9 equals 9.

Just an input.

Vidhya
Smile

vox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vox » 08 Jun 2011

Yes, note how all combinations above equal 9. The Norse had their 9 worlds and Jewish mysticism has it's Shamhamphoresh, or extended name of god; = 72 = 9.

Came across (years ago) an overview of the platonic solids angles' summations and they all reduce to 9.

Now it has been pointed out by some 9 is actually indicative of the material matrix; NOT spirit but 10 being wholeness - but who knows....

Sunds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sunds » 08 Jun 2011

108 is the sum of 9 adjacent numbers: 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 + 13 + 14 + 15 + 16 = 108
Birth Details: 06/Sept./1968, 3.40 AM, Chennai...
I believe it because I hope for it...- Leon Blum.

Thierry

Post by Thierry » 29 Nov 2011

Dear all,
Vaughn Paul wrote:"Did you know (regarding the mystical nature of the number 108) that the distance between the earth and moon is equivalent to 108 moons placed in a row, and the distance between the earth and sun is equivalent to 108 suns in a row...quite amazing!!!"
This is therefore the reason why, seen from the earth, the sun and the moon have exactly the same apparent size (making full eclipses possible). From a mere mathematical perspective, the fact that the sun and the moon seem to have equal dimensions is a highly improbable coïncidence. The odds against it are enormous.

From a spiritual perspective, however, we should assume that there is no coïncidence. The sun and the moon are equal because male and female, day and night, yin and yang, ida and pingala are equal in the universal dance. It seems that 108 is actually the mathematical reason behind the universal duality.

Best regards
--
Thierry Chevallier

birthtimes

Post by birthtimes » 29 Nov 2011

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, so I hope I'm understanding this forum...some of it seems a bit confusing right now!

Are there not also 108 mala beads and 108 rosary beads? I can't remember my Catholic upbringing, so maybe someone could clarify the number of rosary beads :D

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 18 Jan 2012

rosary.jpg
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, :) , seems to me, that you are not such a ""Gone case "" after all. The 5 extra beads represent the 5 elements , or the Pancha Maha Bhutas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

milredr

Post by milredr » 18 Jan 2012

Seems to me deepak u r a gonecase, bringing the panchamahabhutas into the rosary ..... Give me a classical quotation to support ur views(u r free to include the bible as a part of the classical text).... Dont give me some jazzy hokum..........

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 18 Jan 2012

Milred, three things you must never do - never disturb the bees in a hive, put your hands in a hornets nest, and ask me for a explaination. :D

The 5 elements - Akaasha, Vaayu, Agni, Jala, and Prithvi.

The old testament - Genesis 1
In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind - Air / Vayu from God swept over the face of the waters - Jala. Then God said, ‘Let there be light - fire - Agni’; and there was light .

And God said, ‘Let there be a dome - Akasha - Sky in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.

And God said, ‘Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land / Pritvi appear.’ And it was so.

Buzinga :D
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

milredr

Post by milredr » 18 Jan 2012

I am impressed Fr. Denzil. Jesus is very honored u opened the bible. I am happy i was used as an instrument :lol: :lol:

Just to clarify, i didnt know that the 5 elements and pancha maha bhutas were the same.

Talib
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Talib » 18 Jan 2012

GONECASE wrote:A GONECASE like myself is afraid of even one bhuta leave alone paanch bahut badey bhoot .
:lol: :lol:

I AM WONDERING IF YOU REALLY ARE A GONE CASE.

Love

Talib
Dance of the Divine is "Thoughtless"

justalearner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justalearner » 23 Jan 2012

astroboy wrote:Milred, three things you must never do - never disturb the bees in a hive, put your hands in a hornets nest, and ask me for a explaination. :D

The 5 elements - Akaasha, Vaayu, Agni, Jala, and Prithvi.

The old testament - Genesis 1
In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind - Air / Vayu from God swept over the face of the waters - Jala. Then God said, ‘Let there be light - fire - Agni’; and there was light .

And God said, ‘Let there be a dome - Akasha - Sky in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.

And God said, ‘Let the waters under the sky be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land / Pritvi appear.’ And it was so.

Buzinga :D

ABji,

Jawab to lajawab hai.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will remember those 3 things surely... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

--
JAL

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 23 Jan 2012

As Per Surya Siddanta, Aakash was created by Bhrama[ Mana] , Vaayu[ Air] is created By Aakash, Agani[ Fire] is created By Vauyu[Air], Water[ Jala] is created by fire and earth[ prithvi] is created by Jala[ Water] . It is believed as per Hindu mythology, Bhrama is the creator of universe . By his mana[ heart], Moon is created and bye his eyes, Sun is created. regards
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

Ram.qa

Post by Ram.qa » 07 Feb 2012

Thanks for this post, interesting!