Intellect vs. Intelligence vs. knowledge

For discussion about any article, old or new, on the LightOnVedicAstrology.com or JournalOfAstrology.com websites.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor
Intellect vs. Intelligence vs. knowledge

Post by astrolight99 » 30 Nov 2014

Friends,
In astrology can we distinguish among intellect, intelligence and knowledge. There should be three distinct definitions for each. We say Moon and Mercury close conjunction hits intellect and intelligence. We say Jupiter represents knowledge; and Mercury represents intellect and intelligence. what is the actual meaning of these three words in astrology? Dictionary meaning of intellect and intelligence are more or less the same. But that is not correct. These three words must have completely different meanings. Please give your valuable suggestions.

Regards

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Intellect vs. Intelligence vs. knowledge

Post by elipsis » 03 Dec 2014

Intelligence is the ability to reason out knowledge for a specific purpose where as intellect is the store house of reasoned knowledge. Mercury is the embodiment of intelligence, it represent all reasoned knowledge in the world and in particular when mercury is stronger it can reason out anything and provide justification for it. Mercury can be attributed to an encyclopaedia, you look for something and you get that information - whether its right or wrong is a different matter. It has a practical application but intelligence doesn't represent the truth because truth can never be reasoned but only felt, whenever people tried to argue with the truth they have made it less truthful. But knowledge on the other hand is a whole different thing, it takes pages to explain it in depth but it really means the consciousness, you are looking for something unknown and you find it following which your mind becomes less agitated and more satisfied, this is what knowledge means - awareness. If you become conscious of something unknown that means you have the knowledge. In astrology, Jupiter represents the knowledge of life, it is like a theoretical scientist looking for answers.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

onlyhope
Contributor
Contributor

Post by onlyhope » 03 Dec 2014

I am not an astrologer.

This is for Ellipsis,
I remember what you say about intelligence and I now feel like the dumbest person on earth. The first time my temple panditji saw my horoscope- he said - you have scientist brains but it wont help you at all! Its true. Intelligence, intellect and knowledge can be nullified, as in my case. I help others solve major problems but I cant solve mine. All bad predictions come true, but good ones dont.

astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by astrolight99 » 03 Dec 2014

[quote="elipsis"]Intelligence is the ability to reason out knowledge for a specific purpose where as intellect is the store house of reasoned knowledge. Mercury is the embodiment of intelligence, it represent all reasoned knowledge in the world and in particular when mercury is stronger it can reason out anything and provide justification for it. Mercury can be attributed to an encyclopaedia, you look for something and you get that information - whether its right or wrong is a different matter. It has a practical application but intelligence doesn't represent the truth because truth can never be reasoned but only felt, whenever people tried to argue with the truth they have made it less truthful. But knowledge on the other hand is a whole different thing, it takes pages to explain it in depth but it really means the consciousness, you are looking for something unknown and you find it following which your mind becomes less agitated and more satisfied, this is what knowledge means - awareness. If you become conscious of something unknown that means you have the knowledge. In astrology, Jupiter represents the knowledge of life, it is like a theoretical scientist looking for answers.[/quote]
Thanks Ellipsis for your valuable reply. Regarding knowledge you mean to say whatever we learn externally i.e. through study, newspaper, tv etc. is the knowledge which is stored in us and guide us from time to time in which intelligence plays a role to reason out that knowledge. Am I correct?
Regards

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

onlyhope wrote:I am not an astrologer.

This is for Ellipsis,
I remember what you say about intelligence and I now feel like the dumbest person on earth. The first time my temple panditji saw my horoscope- he said - you have scientist brains but it wont help you at all! Its true. Intelligence, intellect and knowledge can be nullified, as in my case. I help others solve major problems but I cant solve mine. All bad predictions come true, but good ones dont.
Don't worry, after 49 you'll see brighter days (as i have said before).
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

astrolight99 wrote: Thanks Ellipsis for your valuable reply. Regarding knowledge you mean to say whatever we learn externally i.e. through study, newspaper, tv etc. is the knowledge which is stored in us and guide us from time to time in which intelligence plays a role to reason out that knowledge. Am I correct?
Regards
Knowledge is becoming aware of something unknown to you, this applies to both internal and external. For external causes, imagine you don't know how to fly an airplane but you attend training and learn about it so that now you are no longer ignorant of it. Reading something is just reasoned knowledge which only requires intelligence but knowing something is experiencing it personally because you can't say you can fly an airplane by just reading about it because there is still a lot of dissatisfaction when you don't experience it personally. Similarly, for the internal causes many things in your body are working without your full awareness, for example: you don't know how your heart, liver or kidney exactly functions and yet your brain is controlling all the organs without waiting for your command, your heart beats without asking your permission and most of them time you are unaware of its presence but when you sit calmly and concentrate on the heart you become aware of its presence, this is called knowledge. Knowledge is always a personal experience, I can tell you about it but you won't "know" until you experience it. Also knowledge cannot be a guide but wisdom can guide you to proper knowledge. Being wise means best application of knowledge.

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 03 Dec 2014

IMO, they key difference between intelligence and knowledge is that former is about "rest of the World" but the latter is about "you in perspective to the rest of the World". You can be intelligent knowing little about yourself (your abilities, your shortcomings....) but not knowledgeable.
CRS

astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by astrolight99 » 03 Dec 2014

Dear Elipsis,

"Reading something is just reasoned knowledge which only requires intelligence but knowing something is experiencing it personally".

Very well explained. Thanks
Please guide how you are using this quote box in your postings.

Regards.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

when you click "post reply" you'll get a Quote button in the text editor.

astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by astrolight99 » 04 Dec 2014

elipsis wrote:
> when you click "post reply" you'll get a Quote button in the text editor.
Thanks. let me try.

astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Elipsis,

I tried as per your advice but failed. Can you tell me the steps in detail about how to post a quote box and reply.

Regards

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 04 Dec 2014

I should have thought its pretty self explanatory here is how it works. If it still doesn't work then you better contact the mod type person, he'll sort it out.

astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Elipsis,

That which you are referring to I have already tried and also posted a message earlier. you can see my message above(Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:48 pm). But the box having colour background is not appearing which I am interpreting as Quote Box. Sorry for more trouble. You may skip the reply if it irritates you.

Regards

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 04 Dec 2014

Post your problem in this section: http://lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3 ... m.php?f=13 - site moderator may resolve it

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 04 Dec 2014

astrolight99 wrote:Dear Elipsis,

That which you are referring to I have already tried and also posted a message earlier. you can see my message above(Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:48 pm). But the box having colour background is not appearing which I am interpreting as Quote Box. Sorry for more trouble. You may skip the reply if it irritates you.

Regards
That sounds like a browser problem. You may not have the latest version of browser installed. In any case, there is a slightly longish alternative. Once you click "Reply" and have the message composition windown, select the text that you want to quote, copy and paste it , select it again in edit window and press Quote button at the top of the edit window.
CRS

astrolight99
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Elipsis,

"Post your problem in this section: viewforum.php?f=13 - site moderator may resolve it"

Thanks, I checked the above section and found that the facility of using Quote Box is blocked for the new comers. Even the text editor bar is also blocked and can not be viewed by the new comers. I have given a request to moderator to allow me to use that facility. BBCode remains always OFF for us. Any postings made in the forum by me is routing through moderator and the process takes roughly 30-45 minutes. No instant posting facility is allowed to new comers. Hope they will extend such facilities in future.

Regards

d-lod

Post by d-lod » 27 Apr 2015

[quote="astrolight99"][quote="elipsis"]Intelligence is the ability to reason out knowledge for a specific purpose where as intellect is the store house of reasoned knowledge. Mercury is the embodiment of intelligence, it represent all reasoned knowledge in the world and in particular when mercury is stronger it can reason out anything and provide justification for it. Mercury can be attributed to an encyclopaedia, you look for something and you get that information - whether its right or wrong is a different matter. It has a practical application but intelligence doesn't represent the truth because truth can never be reasoned but only felt, whenever people tried to argue with the truth they have made it less truthful. But knowledge on the other hand is a whole different thing, it takes pages to explain it in depth but it really means the consciousness, you are looking for something unknown and you find it following which your mind becomes less agitated and more satisfied, this is what knowledge means - awareness. If you become conscious of something unknown that means you have the knowledge. In astrology, Jupiter represents the knowledge of life, it is like a theoretical scientist looking for answers.[/quote]
Thanks Ellipsis for your valuable reply. Regarding knowledge you mean to say whatever we learn externally i.e. through study, newspaper, tv etc. is the knowledge which is stored in us and guide us from time to time in which intelligence plays a role to reason out that knowledge. Am I correct?
Regards[/quote]

With all due respect to your answer, I believe you mean to say that Mercury is looking after acquired knowledge through, shruti and smruti, while Jupiter is master of "WISDOM", am I right, cause Jupiter govern higher knowledge and is a benefic planet while Mercury is neutral planets, so it also means that knowledge acquired by a person could be used or could not be depending upon mercury placement.

Please expand further. thanks

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 13 May 2015

elipsis ji
Good explanation of the difference btw mercurial-intelligence and Jupiterian-wisdom.