Article: The Mystical Power of the Name of Rama

For discussion about any article, old or new, on the LightOnVedicAstrology.com or JournalOfAstrology.com websites.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
TheSeeker
Re: Article: The Mystical Power of the Name of Rama

Post by TheSeeker » 12 Feb 2015

thanks for sharing!

i have a doubt. if one HAS to suffer the fruits of his karma, good or bad, on this mortal plane, and from which there's no escape, except may be mitigation or postponement of the effects, then why do scriptures propagate such ideas like 'even if one utters the word Rama knowingly or unknowingly, all sins of all lives will be destroyed in a moment', and ideas like 'bathing in the Ganges at the appropriate time will wash away one's sins' (though this may be esoteric in meaning)? is it to anyway induce a sense of devotion in the layman, give him a push to initiate spiritual practice, propagate spiritual ideals and practices thus among the general populace, people who may otherwise remain entangled in the material desires & illusions and may not take to spiritual practice easily?! sincere doubt.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 14 May 2015

Last edited by hari766 on 20 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » 26 May 2015

Atma transcends time - so it always existed. Karma is an attribute of the Atma, and therefore that is also timeless. Therefore, in the countless cycles of birth/death that each living being has endured, each has piled up enormous amounts of punya and papa karma. The Universal set of each Atma's karma is called Sanchita Karma. A small subset of this sanchita karma is given to the Atma at the beginning of this life. This is called Prarabdha karma. This is like the Opening Balance. During the course of this life, the Atma accumulates more karma through its actions - this additionally acquired karma is called Agami karma. The sum total karma is colossal and cannot be rid so easily. Swami Koorathazhvan states that we acquire, within an instant, papa karma that cannot be rid of even if we live kalpa koti kalam (1 crore kalpa or Brahma's day). As a result of Nama Sankeertanam - of Rama or Krishna, the Lord removes that part of the Prarabdha karma that is preventing Bhakti to start. As we continue Nama sankeertanam, the Bhakti becomes stronger and stronger - to a point that worldly things do not matter - only Bhakti remains. Pleased with such Bhakti (100% pure bhakti - and no distraction from worldly matters is the stage of Dharana), the Lord removes the devotees entire Sanchita Karma. If you repent for the wrong doings in this life, He removes the Agami also. You are then left with only the Prarabdha. However remember that getting rid of Prarabdha can also take several life spans. However, each life you are given a starting point for that Bhakti in that new life to carry on from where you left.

Therefore there are various steps or stages one has to undergo in the spiritual journey.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 26 May 2015

Well said. It would not only benefit the person doing nama sankirtana but also those who hear that. For example, when I sang a particular song Narayana at the Tirumayam temple, one old lady was very much moved and told that she forgot herself thinking about the meaning and the tune also mesmerized her. Till then I thought I only forget myself if not due to bhakti atleast due to the taste and love for music as an art. But she was moved mainly due to bhakti and bhava.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 30 May 2015

It is not for me alone, it is for all towards realization of the self.

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » 02 Jun 2015

Dev

Read the entire series (about 13 articles) starting from this page:

http://www.srivaishnavam.com/philosophy ... uction.htm

It clearly lays out the fault-lines in the highly popular philosophy

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 02 Jun 2015

Yes, Sudarshan, I will go through them. It is nice you have ready made information available all the time. It shows your spiritual growth. :D

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » 03 Jun 2015

Dev

Information is available at all times. Majority of people are drowned in viparita jnanam resulting from Tamo gunam and do not want to come out of that. The few that get out of that get side-tracked by the theory of bewilderment (anyatha jnanam) resulting from Rajo gunam. Both these categories of people will not bring themselves to read about or listen to those that talk about eternal truth embodied by none other than Sriman Narayanan. To know the truth one has to become sattvik - and the Lord himself paves the way for that the moment you become a paramaikanti. Rama namam has the power transform an individual that is Tamasic or Rajasik to become Sattvik in his habits. One can visibly see the change happening, however gradually. But one has to be exclusively rooted in the Rama nama japam for that - leaving aside all other remedies and spiritual practices. This is a panacea for the Body, Mind, and Atma. Thulasidasar achieved the final purushartham through Rama Namam alone!

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 03 Jun 2015

Sudarshan:

What you say is true and still difficult to practise living in this mundane world. We are amidst many people who are dishonest, corrupt, cunning and so on and we have to directly deal with them on some occassions. However we know the truth many a time listening to Upanyas and moral stories and so on, and chanting Rama hare rama, still we get submerged in the kali later on since we have to deal with this society with many such people which may be a maya but still we get caught there. As you say, the more we concentrate on Rama nama, the better we become. I have seen some people even here, around 5, who have changed a lot after regular chanting of Rama and Krishna, ie Rama Hare Rama ----. They were not cordial before and very self centred but now they have become very friendly with all and doing more service without expectation. I was stunned by the change in them and they now smile which appears very satvik and humble.
Atleast I realise what you say is all true, so atleast part of the ladder has been climbed. So there is no looking back and only climbing further is needed whether fast or slow.

Dev

Itsmevj8

Post by Itsmevj8 » 28 Sep 2015

When a person recites the Name of Rama everyday,it gives him/her good,healty,prosperous & peaceful life.Many write the Name of Rama everymorning after taking bath.It helps them a lot.

Rama nama always rules our lives.