Queries on Jaimini Astrology

For discussion on the Jaimini system: use of karakas, Jaimini aspects, chara dasha or other Jaimini dashas, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
skrajiv
Contributor
Contributor
Queries on Jaimini Astrology

Post by skrajiv » 02 Feb 2019

I have some burning questions with regard to Jaimini concepts. Please consider me as a learner and excuse if I am asking something off hand but I would like to have answers for below queries?

1) Most astrologers tend to follow the 7 chara karaka scheme but if at all Rahu has traversed the maximum distance in a sign, can Rahu be considered as Atmakaraka?
2) There are couple of signs which have double ownership such as Scorpio and Aquarius. For ascertaining special Lagnas such as Upapada, Arudha etc do we need to consider Rahu (Aquarius) and Ketu (Scorpio) also?
3) Jaimini aspects work differently in the sense movable signs aspects 5,8,11th sign from itself, fixed signs aspect 3,6,9th sign from itself and dual signs aspects 4,7,10th from itself. When using Dasa's like Chara Dasa etc should we stick to only these kind of aspects?
4) Karakamsa Lagna - There is a view popularized by KN Rao that Karakamsa Lagna (based on degree of Atmakaraka in Navamsa) needs to be transported back to Rasi chart and analysed. Is this view supported by the sages?
5) Exceptions Based Arudha Padas - There is a mention that your AL should not fall in Lagna or 7th house in which case you need to move it by 10 signs to the 10th and 4th house respectively. Should this methodology be followed?
6) Longitude Based Arudha Padas - Apparently in one version of BPHS, its asked to calculate Arudha padas based on exact longitude of houses and planets. I find that it ends up changing quite a bit from the conventional sign based system. Should this be followed? My own AL ends up changing from Leo to Cancer if Longitude calculation is adopted.
7) In analysing a chart and a dasa, which Lagna needs to be given most importance - is it the pakka natal Lagna or the Karakamsa Lagna or the Dasa sign lord or the Antar sign lord? Too many cooks spoil the broth and hence would like to know which one needs to be given most prominence?

justicetomeplease
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Queries on Jaimini Astrology

Post by justicetomeplease » 04 Mar 2019

I'm a beginner in Vedic Astrology.
Answers as follows:
1) As for my tradition is considered, Rahu of course can be treated as Chara Karaka. Because it seems that my Guru told that soul (the jeevaatma) is binded by Ashtabandhana which is mentioned in SivaPuraana. These Astha bandhana are 8 Chara Karaka's.
2) Yes my tradition takes it. If Rahu is stronger than Saturn Pada is ascertained from Rahu same for Ketu. But we should exercise this with many horoscopes.
3) They are Rasi drsti & yes we need to stick only them while using Chara dasha.
4) In my tradition my Guru has told that Karakaamsha is nothing but the Kaaraka in Amsha chart here it's AK in Navaamsha chart itself. Mapping that sign to D-1 is said to be Kaarakamshaka lagna. They both have different meanings. This has to be understood carefully. However that said I should work on this.
5) My tradition recommends like as you have mentioned. The same is been implemented by many. But I don't know the logic behind it. Should think of it.
6) Yes I've heard my Guru speaking about this, longitude based padas in one Version & other version it isn't mentioned. Though i should check it.
7) Paaka lagna tells about how your intelligence is applied because it's the lagna lord position. Kaarakamsha is again a Spiritual concept & as recommended to be seen in D-9. Antardasha sign as lagna & dasha sign as lagna can be taken to find the results how it is acting on us in that particular period.
Hope this helped

skrajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skrajiv » 18 Mar 2019

Very helpful Justice Sir, thanks for your answer.

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by ChandraLagna » 18 Mar 2019

@justicetomeplease,

I am curious to know the tradition that you refer to, and the Guru you are learning from.
--भज गोविन्दं... भज गोविन्दं...गोविन्दं भज, मूढमते --

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

justicetomeplease
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justicetomeplease » 18 Mar 2019

Dear ChandraLagna, I'm treating Shri Sanjay Rath as my Jyotish Guru. I've started learning from his YouTube videos, PDF's & so on. Till now my approach is unconventional. I wanted to learn from his tradition. They strictly follows Scriptures. I'm an ardent believer of God thus ancient scriptures.
So, I've planned to learn conventionally after my M.Sc.
I took an appointment with Pt. Sanjay Rath this July to meet him & to guide me further
Hope I've answered :)

By the way, this LOVA also had helped me to actually start reading verses from scriptures & astrologers over here ku this forum has helped to enhance little little.
I'd be thankful for that🙏

ChandraLagna
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by ChandraLagna » 19 Mar 2019

The impression you have been conveying by using words like "guru" and "my tradition" is that you have been learning astrology in a classical guru-shishya parampara whereas in reality it has been youtube based learning. There is nothing wrong per-se in learning online, but the impression you have conveyed so far has been very different. You need to be more honest in what you say, not just in letter, but in spirit too.
--भज गोविन्दं... भज गोविन्दं...गोविन्दं भज, मूढमते --

With Regards,
ChandraLagna

saditya86
Contributor
Contributor

Post by saditya86 » 15 Apr 2019

1) As per Sanjay ji Rath's teaching Ra degrees should be subtracted from 30 then use it while determining chara karakas.

2) Ra and Ke lordship also need to be considered for Arudha calculations.Example Assume Saturn is stronger but still depending upon the dasa (specifically Narayan dasa) if Ra or pada calculation with respect to Rahu comes in Rasi or have argala then it may dominate the other Arudha.
Sanjay ji also talks about AL shift.

3) Understanding the difference between rasi and Graha drishti is important. For Chara dasa usually rasi drishti is used.

4) yes this is followed by all schools

5) As explained by Sanjay ji, arudha is Maya and 1st and 7th house from it is Satya so Arudha does not remain stable in 1st and 7th from the house.

6) I guess you are using Jhora, PVR Narsimha Rao informed in one of his lecture that he get better results with sign based Arudha and based upon his experience he said you can consider not to work with longitude based Arudha.

7) for Vimshottari dasa, Sanjay ji recommend to check maha dasa from Sun, Antar dasa from Moon and Pratyantar from Lagna. In his book of Narayan dasa he mentions to use maha dasa sign as lagna.

Also diff. Lagnas like AL UL and KL along with SL and HL need be used as per the house/matter under discussion. e.g. running Mars mahadasa but it is badhka from AL or 2nd from UL..

Hope this helps..

skrajiv
Contributor
Contributor

Post by skrajiv » 15 Apr 2019

Thanks a lot for sharing your views.

Vamanaavataram012
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vamanaavataram012 » 08 May 2019

1) Most astrologers tend to follow the 7 chara karaka scheme but if at all Rahu has traversed the maximum distance in a sign, can Rahu be considered as Atmakaraka?

This depends on the astrologer, school, or scholar. Some may take Rahu as Atmakaraka others may not. Others may use Rahu as AK if 3 or more planets share the same degree, or minute which is rare.

2) There are couple of signs which have double ownership such as Scorpio and Aquarius. For ascertaining special Lagnas such as Upapada, Arudha etc do we need to consider Rahu (Aquarius) and Ketu (Scorpio) also?

Some may use them, some may not. It depends on the astrologer, or scholar. Some say to use these ownerships for longevity purposes only.

3) Jaimini aspects work differently in the sense movable signs aspects 5,8,11th sign from itself, fixed signs aspect 3,6,9th sign from itself and dual signs aspects 4,7,10th from itself. When using Dasa's like Chara Dasa etc should we stick to only these kind of aspects?

Yes you should stick to these aspects only. Commentators such as Laksmana Suri, Raghava Bhatta, Krishnamishra all mention the sign aspects.

4) Karakamsa Lagna - There is a view popularized by KN Rao that Karakamsa Lagna (based on degree of Atmakaraka in Navamsa) needs to be transported back to Rasi chart and analysed. Is this view supported by the sages?

It can or cannot, its dependent on the astrologer or scholar translating the Jaimini sutras, or various commentaries. Some say superimpose to rashi, others say use it in navamsa.

5) Exceptions Based Arudha Padas - There is a mention that your AL should not fall in Lagna or 7th house in which case you need to move it by 10 signs to the 10th and 4th house respectively. Should this methodology be followed?

Yes and no. It is dependent on the school, astrologer, tradition or commentary. Some may follow others will not. Some do not use exceptions at all, some use Arudha pada based on gender and Sanmuka sign.

6) Longitude Based Arudha Padas - Apparently in one version of BPHS, its asked to calculate Arudha padas based on exact longitude of houses and planets. I find that it ends up changing quite a bit from the conventional sign based system. Should this be followed? My own AL ends up changing from Leo to Cancer if Longitude calculation is adopted.

This should not be used. Its not mentioned in other jaimini commentaries. Be careful with jaimini material from BPHS. Some will not like seeing this.

7) In analysing a chart and a dasa, which Lagna needs to be given most importance - is it the pakka natal Lagna or the Karakamsa Lagna or the Dasa sign lord or the Antar sign lord? Too many cooks spoil the broth and hence would like to know which one needs to be given most prominence?

Dasa lagna for upmost importance.