A Forum For Students Primarily

Read latest announcements
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: Offensive posts will be deleted, and repeat offenders will have all posts moderated.
Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
A Forum For Students Primarily

Post by Vaughn Paul » 29 Dec 2010

Dear Members,
I've switched the locations of the 'Student Section' and the 'Readings Section' because this is primarily a place where serious students can discuss Jyotish, and secondarily a place for people to get free readings from members about their charts. I want the forum to be an academic environment where principles can be discussed, and I think this is a step in the right direction. I'd be interested in hearing other suggestions about this from members. Namaste, Vaughn Paul

Basab

Re: A Forum For Students Primarily

Post by Basab » 29 Dec 2010

Vaughnji,

You did the right thing. This should have been done in the very beginning itself. I agree with you that this discussion board should be more about serious discussion on astrology than giving free readings.

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Vaughn Paul » 29 Dec 2010

I'm willing to delete the Readings Section, but I remember that when there was only a student section people would inundate the forum with personal questions about their charts. I think it's good to separate them and have a designated place for readings. Also, it gives members the opportunity to give free readings and practice putting their knowledge to use. Vaughn Paul

Basab

Post by Basab » 29 Dec 2010

I agree with you on that, Vaughnji, but if you see the state of things now, it's not any better. Even now people end up discussing their charts in the students section.

bali1938
Donor
Donor

Post by bali1938 » 29 Dec 2010

Vaughn Paul wrote:I'm willing to delete the Readings Section, but I remember that when there was only a student section people would inundate the forum with personal questions about their charts. I think it's good to separate them and have a designated place for readings. Also, it gives members the opportunity to give free readings and practice putting their knowledge to use. Vaughn Paul
I just want to add one more thing to what Sri Vaughn Paul has quoted.The readings section not only helps members put their knowledge to use but also helps learners like us to learn from the chart readings.

I joined this forum in Jan 2009, with a primary objective of understanding my sons's chart who was 1 at that time. However the interest for astrology stuck on and whatever little I have learned so far it is only due to this forum and its members.

As much as I have learned from the student section I should say I have learnt from the readings section also. We get a chance to see how different members approach charts in different ways. Contributions from Shrikanth, Astrosonu, Astroboy are prime examples where the astrological observations are clearly explained, which help us pick up points easily.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank Sri Vaugh Paul for this wonderful forum.

USR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by USR » 23 Feb 2011

Astrology : Theoretical concepts explaining the probable effect of planets,dasa etc improves the knowledge of learners has to be the prime motive of students section.Practical application for replying to members personal questions has to be in reading section.In reading section the reply need not be in detail,the reason being the charts are analysed from different angles using the consolidated knowledge which can't be explained so easily.The students themselves have to analyse why the reply is so and so.
A good forum and there is no end for improvement.
My suggestions are for +ve guidance.Divine blessings are ultimate.

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 24 Feb 2011

Vaughnji,

Appreciate your efforts. I have a suggestion that may sound a bit expensive. But I am sure it will be useful for learners and seekers both.
You can make it mandatory for seekers of reading to input birth data in a structured format. Learner users can be provided a facility to query the database with some common parameters (date, planetary positions in signs/bhava etc.) with a link leading to the posts related to the query. A learner before responding to a seeker, can look at analysis of similar charts by others and then respond. It is quite possible that many seekers may find answers themselves using the same query features. I do not wish to trivialize this by comparing it to FAQs that most websites provide.

This will also discourage seekers (typically with a penchant to hear what they want to hear :D ) from seeking far too often.
CRS

JupiterLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by JupiterLight » 21 Apr 2011

Vaughn Paul wrote:I'm willing to delete the Readings Section, but I remember that when there was only a student section people would inundate the forum with personal questions about their charts. I think it's good to separate them and have a designated place for readings. Also, it gives members the opportunity to give free readings and practice putting their knowledge to use. Vaughn Paul
I think its a wise decision.
I really really hope this forum becomes more "academic" and less informal.
And i personally think, personal questions on this forum should be blocked somehow.
I dont think any student of astrology cant find Birth details to practice astrology. Still if thats the case, those members can put in their signatures " Open to Birth Chart Reading through PM"

Otherwise, the current condition of the forum is .... to say the least, can be much much better if proper instructions and strict limitations are outlined.
❀Do not covet others wealth. Every Karma Boomerangs❀
The vidya of Jyotisha is all about looking for patterns
Please note I am only a STUDENT of Astrology !

explorings
Donor
Donor

Post by explorings » 01 Nov 2011

It is better to have a reading section separate than student section. However, no queries should be entertained that do not want to post their details on this forum and are only interested to communicate via PMs.

I strongly suggest that if the matter is not serious personal questions should be blocked or as Jupiter Light suggested members should put in their signature "Open to Reading via PM".

For non-serious matters, confidentiality rule should not apply on a public forum!

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 10 Sep 2019

Thank you So Much, for the farsightedness of the forum Owner and other administrators.

I am someone primarily interested in spirituality, and secondarily on astrology. Nevertheless I always felt welcome in this forum, since 2009 when I first came to know about the existence of this forum and started posting in it. Even my "stupid" queries were answered by others. I have learnt so much, merely through interacting with others in the forum. I also sincerely tried to contribute my bit too, mostly on the spiritual aspects. I wish all the forum members the maximum benefit out of their precious time spent here.