Jyotish Software for Forum Users

Forum Guidelines and How To's: create an 'avatar', post an image, deal with technical problems/solutions, make a suggestion, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: Offensive posts will be deleted, and repeat offenders will have all posts moderated.
Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Jyotish Software for Forum Users

Post by Vaughn Paul » 27 Feb 2007

Hi everyone,
Sometimes people post birth data on this discussion board and if you have a software program you can calcute the chart. If you don't have a professional Jyotish software program like Parashara's Light or Sri Jyoti Star, which cost about $300, then you can at least download one of the following free programs. I personally don't use these programs but it's been suggested that that I inform everyone of them:

Jagannath Hora: http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/
Maitreya: http://www.saravali.de/maitreya/index.html

Yours in the Jyotir Vidya
Vaughn Paul
Last edited by Vaughn Paul on 07 Jun 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Basab

Post by Basab » 08 Apr 2007

i use the website: www.indianastrology.com for making birthcharts. it mostly makes accurate birthcharts.

revribhav
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by revribhav » 16 Aug 2009

For calculation part,any software is useful,however,for prediction,no software is perfect.A software is no replacement for an astrologer.

subhasish
Contributor
Contributor

exactly so

Post by subhasish » 07 Feb 2010

radhe
i am agreed with you. because maitreya is too tough to handle. and i agreed also revribhav opinion. he is also correct.
thanks

Omkarnath
Contributor
Contributor

Re: exactly so

Post by Omkarnath » 07 Feb 2010

subhasish wrote:radhe
i am agreed with you. because maitreya is too tough to handle. and i agreed also revribhav opinion. he is also correct.
thanks
There is new version 6 going to be released of Maitreya in around april. It is currently in testing, and will have many improved features, as well as some improvements to the locations database.

I am personally using Maitreya's Dream, since it is the only jyotish app that is open source, and which runs on Linux (Ubuntu). I am also regularly in touch with the author of the program and give him feedback and suggestions. Why do you feel maitreya is too tough to handle? What specifically? This feedback would be helpful.

Also, if there is anyone, who wants to help to improve Maitreya's Dream, it is open for contributions, as it is open source.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Re: Jyotish Software for Forum Users

Post by astroboy » 06 Aug 2010

Good day to you,
J hora 7.4 needs to be calibarated accurately since the Naksatra dasha options have a additional parameter to chose from. Go to Dasha , click on options and choose FGHABCDE as the default parameter. the dasha periods will now be the same as the previouse J Hora versions.

Trust this help's
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

urownastro

Post by urownastro » 22 Sep 2010

Namastey to all Gurus.

I am new to this forum .

jhora is best astrology software available . i am using it for long and i think its most effective .

Thanks & regards

Rahul Saraswat

soulsearch
Donor
Donor

Post by soulsearch » 19 May 2011

Any recommendations for Mac OS? I currently use Parashara Light on Windows running within the Mac OS making it very slow and usually hangs up. I haven't come across any Mac astro softwares yet, anyone had better luck than me?
Through the horoscope, the map of your life, you can determine certain times in your life when you have to slow down, when you can push yourself to great levels of creativity, and when you have to watch your health and related activities.

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Vaughn Paul » 19 May 2011

Hi Soulsearch,
I also use a Mac, and have both the Mac and PC versions of Parashara's Light 7. However, the Mac version is slow as you mention. I don't use that. I use the PC version using VMWare virtual machine software that allows me to run PC software also. It works great! No problems at all. However, I've heard from others that using other virtual machine software like BootCamp doesn't work as well. In my opinion PL7 is the best Jyotish software, but sadly their Mac version has some problems and needs an update. Anyway, hope that helps! Vaughn Paul

Omkarnath
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Omkarnath » 07 Jun 2011

I just started using VirtualBox few months ago. It is OpenSource, thus it is free of charge, and available for all platforms: Linux, Windows, Mac and Unix, and through It you can run any of the mentioned systems on any other system. Thus: If you are running Mac, you can run Windows within it in VirtualBox, and in that use PL7. Works great on Ubuntu Linux :)

Zara
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zara » 18 Mar 2012

Dear all,
Jhora indicates time as year-month-day. Does anybody know if it can be changed into day-month-year?
I'm used to that system and everytime I look up a dasha I get confused. I'm just not getting used to it.

Omkarnath
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Omkarnath » 18 Mar 2012

Same problem with Maitreya's dream.

Kunal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kunal » 21 Apr 2012

I'm currently using J Hora.With the amount of options that it provides,it can get a little confusing for a beginner like me but once calibrated properly,its probably one of the best out there.

P. Dutta

Post by P. Dutta » 09 Aug 2012

[quote="Vaughn Paul"]Hi everyone,
Sometimes people post birth data on this discussion board and if you have a software program you can calcute the chart. If you don't have a professional Jyotish software program like Parashara's Light or Sri Jyoti Star, which cost about $300, then you can at least download one of the following free programs. I personally don't use these programs but it's been suggested that that I inform everyone of them:

Jagannath Hora: http://www.vedicastrologer dot(.)org/jh/
Maitreya: http://www.saravali dot(.)de/maitreya/index.html

Yours in the Jyotir Vidya
Vaughn Paul[/quote]

Hello everybody,
As stated in Vaughn Paul's post above, I have installed the Jagannath Hora software from http://www.vedicastrologer dot(.)org/jh/
I found that the software can deduce 6 charts: D1, D9, D10, D3, D-30 and D-60. But it couldn't deduce D7 or Saptamsha chart. Can anyone plz provide me a software which calculates the D7 chart of the native?

Thanks,
Mr. P. Dutta

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 11 Aug 2012

Dutta ji,

If you right click on any of the six charts, you will find option to select other doivisional charts
CRS

P. Dutta

Post by P. Dutta » 14 Aug 2012

Thanks a lot lovacrs.

bhimabhishma

Post by bhimabhishma » 07 Dec 2018

Respected all,
Can you clarify what is the difference between a professional software and JHora? only. I have tested Saravali an year ago,when I was given this JHora. But I use JHora only. Does the professional version have any added option?