Feature request, ideas & suggestions for future developm

Forum Guidelines and How To's: create an 'avatar', post an image, deal with technical problems/solutions, make a suggestion, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: Offensive posts will be deleted, and repeat offenders will have all posts moderated.
sandhya1
Re: Feature request, ideas & suggestions for future developm

Post by sandhya1 » 13 Aug 2011

hello shweta..
Come to the chatroom sometime..You have no idea how much we end up learning astro thru those frivolous chatroom talks... The chances of one's queries getting answered also increase manifold in those one to one chats...Ask our dear participant 'Ganshu' ;)

sandhya1

ganeshgadag.. Swamikool, RVR ji and Dinesh answer his queries daily in the chatroom :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by sita » 13 Aug 2011

Hey girls! u can discuss such things in the chat-room itself :D .Btw we should be thankful to Vaughn and RVR for adding this feature.
:)

sandhya1

@Sita.. totally agreed!!
Thanks to Vaughn Paul and RVR ji :P

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 21 Aug 2011

I have been looking at various threads where someone starts a topic and few people make it a gossip column or a flirtatious thread...We do have chat room and PM and email or members can start a thread for themselves for off the topic discussions...n yet people invade others threads with meaningless conversations..
I am not talking about my posts at all...this is the case with some of the most popular threads..
I really hope there is some kind of moral responsibility taken by members not to try to interrupt others thread...but if they cant resist, i feel there should be some kind of check on such things...
It's really annoying...
This is a beautiful forum and lot of learned members are making an effort to keep our vedic astrology alive and make it even more popular...lets try not to corrupt the forum...

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Vaughn Paul » 26 Aug 2011

Dear Shweta,
There are no ads on the Forum unless someone is a non-registered member. After they register then the ads disappear. Secondly, I have no ability to select which ads are used. They are selected automatically by Google based on page content. Vaughn Paul

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 27 Aug 2011

shweta83 wrote:Arent u ashamed of showing such kind of ad which depicts scantily dressed Indian women available?

Shweta,
It's my humble suggestion to you to try to be a little modest n polite while talking to elders...
It's one thing to suggest something but a totally different thing to attack someone without knowing the facts..
Next time when you open your inbox for [No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum], and click on a mail look to the right...you will see at least 10 ads related or unrelated to the mail you opened...does it mean [No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum] is advertising them??? it's totally random... I dont know much about it either...
but when u r not sure try to clarify before accusing...n after that if you really have to criticize try doing it in a polite way...

Rest is up to you discretion.

Shivalove9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shivalove9 » 27 Aug 2011

Hello all.

With all due respect nothing is perfect. Shweta said, "KN Rao said astrology can never be mastered". Well to add to that what in this life can really be mastered. It is very hard. Mr. Vaughn Paul has attempted something not many astrologers have done. If they have, well then, not quite as successful as he. I am very much appreciative of a site that allows people to have their chart read by both learners and senior astrologers. I am also glad it is a learning place.

It seems to me in that some people may waste their time on their egos and some passing judgement. It is very complex but all one can do is make sure they worry about their own character...cause isn't hard enough to maintains one character. I have been a part of this forum for over a year and you can see how hard he tries to keep on improving and perfecting this forum. Isn't that the way of all things in life. No one thing was born perfect, why expect it. Let us be helpful, proactive and positive in our suggestions as a way of our appreciation.

This thread was created to help aide future developments. The ads may suck but that is how the internet works. SO LETS HELP instead of being mean and disrespectful.

I do not mean to be so straight forward but it is annoying to watch things go in an unnecessary circle when it doesn't have to be. I will not monopolize anymore of this forum's space or readership but take this time to thank all contributors, readers for their time and input. I would also like to express my gratitude to Mr. Vaughn Paul by creating such an awesome site were all us astrologers/non-astrologers can meet and discuss and learn.

Much love to you all.

SL. :)

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 28 Aug 2011

by shweta83 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:57 pm
The forum has seen many changes recently. Some ideas like tagging senior members seem very funny.
The Donation Lounge created exclusively for donators is too much . Why so much imortance being given to it? Are'nt astrologers supposed to be above biased? Isn't astrology supposed to alleviate the sufferings of mankind? Everyone knows what Sri KN Rao said that astrology cannot never be mastered.
Why so much importance being given to learning section? It is only through practise on unknown charts that one can be a reliabe and useful to a society.
by shweta83 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 am
Besides this, It is really disgusting to read posts of some senior members who only love to write about themselves or only interested in knowing about their charts. Many posts are wasted on that account. They dont bother to answer others' queries. Equally disgusting is that CHAT being misused only for exchanging flatteries and egoistics talks on looks, photos and so many irrelevant discussions!!!
by shweta83 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 am
Why this "dating ad" on this website? The ad is really in bad taste. Sir, are you asking to make unmarried guys visit dating site to find their soulmate there? Arent u ashamed of showing such kind of ad which depicts scantily dressed Indian women available? what a shame!!!
by shweta83 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:12 am
well you cannot compare the vedic astrology to [No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum]!!!..it is just a bad name that astrology will get if any new member visit and finds the such vulgar ads on this site. Imagine if someone posts such ad outside your gate, what you will do?
Shweta 83, you seem to be very cut up and and bitter about the changes on this Forum. If you have so many problems, then why dont you stay away from it ? Nobody put a gun to your head and has forced you to visit this site.

Dear all,

I think everybody here has a fair Idea of how much it costs to host, modify, and upgrade this site. It was I who asked Vaughn Paul ji to start accepting donations, though he was very very reluctant. I told him that if he kept on spending money like this, he would go broke one day. I understand his logic. He wants this site to become a place where astrology can be discussed, researched and promoted. If he had any other motives, this site would not have run for free for the past 5 years. Imagine how much money has been spent by Vaughn Paul ji to host this site from the past 5 years? Just do the math.

His noble thought is one thing. Bleeding himself dry for that cause is sheer stupidity. We come here, have our share of fun, some people piss all over the place and go. Some learn, some contribute. All this costs Vaughn Paul money at the end of the day.
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 28 Aug 2011

It was with much reluctance and persuasion that I pushed him to accept donations, to support this Forum. I told him that the forum should stand on its own feet if it has to last over the years. There is no point in him supporting it out of his own money. He finally agreed to accept donations to run this Forum.

Not that he has reaped millions from donations after he accepted my suggestions. Some contributions were ridiculious. But he was gracious enough to accept it. He recently ungraded this site to what it is today at a cost which hurt him, but he still did it, and ended up spending double of what contributions he received. Who did he do this for? For us all. And what do people like shweta do / They only criticize. That’s all people like her are fit for. If you don’t want to contribute, then fine, but don’t criticize.

The donator lounge was Vaughn Paul ji’s way of giving back something extra for people who donate. That is the nobility of the man. He was feeling guilty that he was not offering anything extra to the donators. It’s not that only the Donators can view that section, it’s just that no one can post on it. I don’t see anything wrong with that. I think I am the only one who has made use of it to date with great effect. If you were to read say the “Navamsha – an introspection” you will find that it is one smooth read without interruptions, and diversion from the topic. We are having a discussion about it outside the lounge any way. So what is the problem?

I was the one who proposed that the entry fee to the lounge be 100 USD. I actually wanted it to be 500 USD but then I thought that would be too high. Vaughn Paul went to the other extreme, had a change of heart and got it down to 25 US. That in my opinion is nothing for people, when you consider that we hang around on this forum for an hours every day.

Look at it this way. Shweta has made so many remarks and is pretending to concerned about this forum. What would happen if this forum shut down tomorrow? It’s not that Vaughn Paul is making a living out of it. If she is so interested in keeping astrology sacred and finds it a pain to view the ads then she must put her money where their mouth is and contribute towards the cause. Forget 100 US. Let her pay 25. I would like to see that happen.

It’s easy to sit and comment. Everybody wants everything as long as it is free. Nobody understands the economics behind it. People like shweta should be thankful that they have a free platform for them to read and write.

The Ads were just a matter of time. I told him straight that It was a eye sore, but I also told him that I realise there was no other way than host them. I told him that this is the only site which did not have Ads. He promised me that members will not see any Ads any more. He lived to that promise. look at any other astrology forum, every single forum has hosted Ads. We as a community of LOVA must be proud that we are members of a forum where there are no Ads.
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 29 Aug 2011

:) what else can I expect from you ?

astroboy
Donor
Donor

by shweta83 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 pm
oh, so you are the brain behind everything for the mess that had happened in the past 2 months. I happened to read your old posts since you joined last year. Most of them written in very poor taste!! You should first see your face in the mirror and then talk to me.
by shweta83 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 pm
what do you expect from me?
:D Nothing. I got what I wanted. I had a suspicion this morning when i read your posts. I was guessing something. You just proved my Guess right. :D

Shivalove9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shivalove9 » 29 Aug 2011

I live in NY. Ads are everywhere. Get over it. Our finest publications have ads. That is how monthly print publication is supported. I am assuming we all have the intelligence to overlook them and seek out the info/queries we came for in the forst place.

Astroboy, very nicely put. It is unfortunate that this thread has turned into...well this. Don't let it get to you. Some people, just like those ads that are in "bad taste" should be overlooked and disregarded. Even if they keeping popping up. :)

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Shiva love, Just felt bad for VP ji, thats all. :(

Shivalove9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shivalove9 » 29 Aug 2011

So did I. :/ You were good to say what was on your mind. Maybe enlighten other's to think twice before they chime in with negative criticism and lack of respect. :)

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 30 Aug 2011

Thank you for your kind wish. As you rightly said, I am going to stay here for good.

Regard's

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 30 Aug 2011

Dear shweta83,

A site like LOVA does not run on pious wishes and a fair wind. Bandwidth, Server space, hosting fees everything costs money. Every venture must break even to be viable, otherwise it runs aground. This is the first law of economics. The only way to sustain a forum like LOVA is to accept donations and ads. Even K N Rao ji's Journal of Astrology magazine has ads, why not LOVA? Vaugh Paul ji, has taken quite a burden by maintaining this forum through his own resources, but there is a limit.

I have to agree to every point astroboy has raised. In order to continue LOVA has to be self sustaining. In fact I seriously thought that Vaughn Paul has taken a bad economic decision when he decided to discontinue the ads. We are adults, we can pick and choose what we see. On every road in every city in India and elsewhere, huge prophylactic and underware ads stare us in the face. What do we do? We ignore them. If one is put outside my home, what can I do? Nothing. That adspace is legally owned by someone else and they can display whatever they please. Likewise when Google provides ad revenue, Google puts up whatever it chooses. VP can complain but cannot force Google.

When LOVA gives so much back to its participants, if one cannot ignore such minor matters, I must say that one is nothing but a fault finder. He /She can never be pleased. Well if LOVA displeases someone so much, then that person can always find another astro forum. Many are available on the Net.

Regards
swamykool
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 30 Aug 2011

I am starting to think Shweta is an old member who was hurt on this site...left and came back with a new identity..

rashi

Post by rashi » 31 Aug 2011

thankyou for a great platform