Feature request, ideas & suggestions for future developm

Forum Guidelines and How To's: create an 'avatar', post an image, deal with technical problems/solutions, make a suggestion, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: Offensive posts will be deleted, and repeat offenders will have all posts moderated.
swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Re: Feature request, ideas & suggestions for future developm

Post by swamykool » 30 Aug 2011

Dear shweta83,

A site like LOVA does not run on pious wishes and a fair wind. Bandwidth, Server space, hosting fees everything costs money. Every venture must break even to be viable, otherwise it runs aground. This is the first law of economics. The only way to sustain a forum like LOVA is to accept donations and ads. Even K N Rao ji's Journal of Astrology magazine has ads, why not LOVA? Vaugh Paul ji, has taken quite a burden by maintaining this forum through his own resources, but there is a limit.

I have to agree to every point astroboy has raised. In order to continue LOVA has to be self sustaining. In fact I seriously thought that Vaughn Paul has taken a bad economic decision when he decided to discontinue the ads. We are adults, we can pick and choose what we see. On every road in every city in India and elsewhere, huge prophylactic and underware ads stare us in the face. What do we do? We ignore them. If one is put outside my home, what can I do? Nothing. That adspace is legally owned by someone else and they can display whatever they please. Likewise when Google provides ad revenue, Google puts up whatever it chooses. VP can complain but cannot force Google.

When LOVA gives so much back to its participants, if one cannot ignore such minor matters, I must say that one is nothing but a fault finder. He /She can never be pleased. Well if LOVA displeases someone so much, then that person can always find another astro forum. Many are available on the Net.

Regards
swamykool

It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 30 Aug 2011

I am starting to think Shweta is an old member who was hurt on this site...left and came back with a new identity..

rashi

Post by rashi » 31 Aug 2011

thankyou for a great platform

Anjaneya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anjaneya » 31 Aug 2011

shweta83 wrote:You should first see your face in the mirror and then talk to me.
Dear Shweta,

First of all, I congratulate you for such a funny comment. This itself shows that you should not be taken seriously. :lol:

Secondly, any ads coming in this forum are decided by google. It's not that someone gets extra money by placing underwear ads. Its just a piece of code you need to put in PHPBB.

Thirdly, I have seen many astrological forum, this is the best forum I have seen among all. 25 USD is no amount at all to maintain such forum, it is mere 900 INR. This forum has 3652 members. Henceforth. with increasing hits on the website bandwidth may also needs to be increased.

PS: I have already seen my face in the mirror.

shikham

Post by shikham » 23 Nov 2011

The board is becoming boring without senior members like astrosonu, basab, etc.

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 23 Nov 2011

shikham wrote:The board is becoming boring without senior members like astrosonu, basab, etc.
Shikam,
U joined in Nov '11..
How do u know abt / when did u interact with astrosonu, basab???

shikham

Shikam,
U joined in Nov '11..

I joined in nov'11?? :shock:

Humannature

shikham wrote:
Shikam,
U joined in Nov '11..

I joined in nov'11?? :shock:
shikham
Contributor

May be not Nov, just a month before....
but Astrosonu left more than 6 months ago..
Last edited by Humannature on 23 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.

shikham

Dear Humannature,

So do you think that in these 2 months, i did not go through the old posts on lova?

Humannature

shikham wrote:Dear Humannature,

So do you think that in these 2 months, i did not go through the old posts on lova?

I get defensive only when i'm wrong...

It was a simple question....

digvijaysingh

Post by digvijaysingh » 23 Nov 2011

Ramanan Sir , Shilpa Ji , Khoo , , exploring ji , saindhavi ji and others are doing a great job in helping others

Waterbearer

Post by Waterbearer » 27 Nov 2011

I agree with Swamykool & others. In T.V, for watching a 30 min show, you have to see 10 min ads. Do you jsut expect free things without giving anything in return? Its not if as you are paying.
The absence of love is the most abject pain. -Nosferatu

Waterbearer

Post by Waterbearer » 27 Nov 2011

& in youtube also, you can watch some videos only after you see the ad, thats much more forcible than this website.
I would, in fact encouage LOVA to display more ads & even popups.
The absence of love is the most abject pain. -Nosferatu

whitelily
Contributor
Contributor

Post by whitelily » 07 Dec 2011

Dear sir,

Is it perhaps possible to create an extra subsection in the student section where the learned members of this forum can post their articles/essays/summaries/hints etc? I personally like reading the articles/summaries written by Shrikanth, Shilpa, Astroboy etc., but i do find it difficult to locate their posts. Their threads often get overrun by other threads with queries of students and newbies (like myself). I honestly don't know if the members I've mentioned are even interested in this idea, I'm only expressing my own thought. And also if possible, perhaps a section with FAQ. Hopefully this will take away some repetition in the questions to which I'm sure I'm also a part of.

regards, lily

justalearner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justalearner » 09 Feb 2012

Namaskar V.Paulji and LOVA Admin Team,

As a learner, I feel I am missing a Separate section wherein all AUTHENTIC VEDIC ASTROLOGY RESOURCES like Classical Texts, Books, Links or documents are uploaded or stored for our reading and knowledge.

I am sure there might be some reason that LOVA team has not allowed uploading documents, but I aint sure what it is. So I am just putting across my suggestion.

As a LOVA user and as a Learner I would definetly get much help if we have a section where all the Experts and any users alike can upload Vedic Astology related documents for reading including Links to other popular Astrological sites.

Something akin to DONOR's Lounge but with an additonal feature of uploading Documents would be of so much help to all users, wont it be?
And any document uploaded can be reviewed first (like any newly registered user's posts require approval) and approved if found OK.

Kindly look into this suggestion and let me know your views.

Best regards,
JAL

Kunal
Contributor
Contributor

Good Site!

Post by Kunal » 21 Apr 2012

I've been visiting this site for many months now.Don't know why I didn't register for so long.
It's a great site and service.
:)
cjappu wrote:Hi,
it would be great if we have a possibility of pasting a chart on the board. It gives better understanding if chart is right in front of you. Also it definitely gives faster and correct readings
Best rgds,
cjappu
I second that if it hasn't already been implemented though from what I understand ,we'd require someone with knowledge of PHP or ASPX along with HTML and CSS,not to mention SQL if we're to store the data in a database.
I'd always wanted to develop an astrology software or web app but the algorithm ,I believe would be very complex.I'm a student of programming btw pursuing my BSc. IT
Vaughn Paul wrote:Hi Aseem,
Any suggestions of how to format the website and/or forum for a cell phone? Thanks, Vaughn Paul
Yes sir,there is!It's called Tapatalk.Though I haven't really looked into it but I believe its probably simple few steps installation.Most of it should be automated.You can google out "Tapatalk"

And here is a link:
www . phpbb . com/community/viewtopic.php?f=185&t=1841175

Please remove the spaces,I guess am not allowed to post URLs as yet..
and sorry to say but this seems like a bug,the forum says
"You are not authorized to post url links, please remove or rename:
BSc. IT"

I'd to workaround it by inserting a space after the dot(.)

Panther
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Panther » 23 Apr 2012

[quote="astroboy"]Thank you for your kind wish. As you rightly said, I am going to stay here for good.

Regard's[/quote]

Do stay, Sir.....You are an absolute gem at this site. Vaughn Paul Sir, did start this up, but it is folks like you who are taking this forward... I did read your posts, your analysis and your comments are up to the mark. Those are blunt sometimes, but I think it is better than giving someone false hopes..

chaitu124
Contributor
Contributor

Post by chaitu124 » 13 Dec 2012

I would like to suggest the admin to not to bum a thread for some limited time.. Like for 2 days or 4 days like that..Here some people who don't know much about forums bumping their threads every 12-24 hours and i feel its too much of freedom for any one.. If there is a rule so that we can follow that it would be better for the forum as well as the users...

Apart from that posting images are not working..I tried with the recommended image hosting service which is posted in suggestions it didn't worked... for any astrologer it will be easy for him if he can view the horoscope and navamsa so if there is a chance of posting image so that people can view then it would be nice

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 05 Jan 2013

shweta83 wrote:Why this "dating ad" on this website? The ad is really in bad taste. Sir, are you asking to make unmarried guys visit dating site to find their soulmate there? Arent u ashamed of showing such kind of ad which depicts scantily dressed Indian women available? what a shame!!!

The ads presented to you are directly related to your browsing history.
I think it's based on 'Adchoice' or 'adsensor' or something.
If you search for shoes on the internet, then shoe ads will be shown to you next time you are on lova.
And if you are searched for dating sites, then you will see dating site ads on LOVA :)

Omkarnath
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Omkarnath » 06 Apr 2013

chaitu124 wrote:Apart from that posting images are not working..I tried with the recommended image hosting service which is posted in suggestions it didn't worked... for any astrologer it will be easy for him if he can view the horoscope and navamsa so if there is a chance of posting image so that people can view then it would be nice
Though this is an old thread, I find it useful to answer. Images can be added as attachment and will be shown nicely in the post. See for instance the image I have added to this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

srcs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: post suggestions

Post by srcs » 13 Jul 2013

Now for every posting we get the mails.This is not at all reqd.If the posts don't meet the rules of this website,
just bar the post from getting posted.

srcs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: post suggestions

Post by srcs » 14 Jul 2013

I add some more suggestions:1) In order not to strain this website due to "cookies pressure" the words can
be made short.For e.g ,after logging-in we get the message "you have successfully logged in"/posted & in the left "return to previous page" appears. It can be worded as "logged in" & in the left"back" so that no. of words are reduced.Likewise all the areas of this website can be "Trimmed off " of excess words.
2) We find many visitors post their personal queries in discussion forum seeking astrological remedies.They can be helped by redirecting them to "Paid readings service" section where expert astrologers panel members can suggest suitable "shanthies" so that they get a sound advice at a Fee instead of free advice from amateur people.
3) The discussion forum has to function as per its ordained purpose.Quoting planetary positions of known persons/personal ones/taken from other web etc can be discussed to enhance the quality of debate.
4)As i said earlier the board can avoid sending mails for every posting done which will immensely reduce the
cookies pressure,needless creation of temporary folders etc & frequent malfunctioning of website can be controlled.The moderator can discerningly censor one/two lines comments which if found adding no value to the quality of debate.