Rating for a Post and it's Author

Forum Guidelines and How To's: create an 'avatar', post an image, deal with technical problems/solutions, make a suggestion, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: Offensive posts will be deleted, and repeat offenders will have all posts moderated.
takla
Contributor
Contributor
Rating for a Post and it's Author

Post by takla » 16 Nov 2012

Is it possible/viable to give some kind of a rating to a post (and in turn the rating goes to the author of the post). This helps when reading the archive and even on the current running topics.

Somehow lot of meaningless post increase the count of postings made by authors, thus giving misplaced credibility to them. For newcomers, looking at these postings may give them wrong impression about the board itself.

Old time authors could be given some standard 'rating' to start with. From then on, each member should be allowed to rate a posting (and in turn author). I have seen on many sites a button saying 'Liked It'. That increases the count of 'Liking' for an author and would be more meaningful for other readers.

Pardon the post if the above was already suggested and overruled. Thanks.

regards

Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rating for a Post and it's Author

Post by Saindhavi » 16 Nov 2012

High number of posts does not really mean the author has a lot of credibility. It simply means the person is spending a lot of time on LOVA.

I personally want to have less number of posts - that is why I give multiple responses to several people in the same post, so that my number of posts can be reduced.

So there is no need to worry about it. One should look at the content of the posts and not on the number of posts the person has written.
Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

takla
Contributor
Contributor

Post by takla » 16 Nov 2012

Saindhavi wrote:High number of posts does not really mean the author has a lot of credibility. It simply means the person is spending a lot of time on LOVA.
That's what is my point too.
Saindhavi wrote:I personally want to have less number of posts - that is why I give multiple responses to several people in the same post, so that my number of posts can be reduced.
You are one of the highly credible one, I can vouch for it since I personally gained from your postings. Not everyone would know that about you unless they spend some amount of time on board. The problem is that not every visitor may spend that much time here and may just get turn off with the 'high-count less-meaningful authors'.
Saindhavi wrote:So there is no need to worry about it. One should look at the content of the posts and not on the number of posts the person has written.
My suggestion was more for the new arrivals on the board, since not all post can be read for it's content, the only barometer they have is the 'count of the post by an author', which is not a very meaningful measure. Additionally, with ever increasing postings on the board the 'Liking rating' can work very well with the already existing 'Search' feature.

regards

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by basab14 » 16 Nov 2012

Good suggestion by Takla. I second it.
"Go thou and follow Him, who was born and gave His life for others five hundred times before He attained the vision of the Buddha!" -- Swami Vivekananda