Ads on the Forum

Forum Guidelines and How To's: create an 'avatar', post an image, deal with technical problems/solutions, make a suggestion, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: Offensive posts will be deleted, and repeat offenders will have all posts moderated.
Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Ads on the Forum

Post by Vaughn Paul » 13 Oct 2012

Dear Forum Members,
As of today, we've introduced ads on the forum for all members, except Donors, for a trial period of 2 months - till mid December. The reason is that we need to experiment with methods to generate revenue to be able to afford an upgrade of our server and increase the forum speed. Many of you have complained about how long it takes for pages to view, etc. and the best way to solve this is with a server upgrade. However, this will increase our monthly fees dramatically. Therefore, we either need to increase ads, increase donations, introduce a 1 time registration fee, or some other way to increase revenue. At this point, the easiest method is to introduce ads.

If anyone has feedback or suggestions, please do so in this thread.

At this point, we have so few donations annually that it hardly covers operating costs - monthly server fees, technician fees for maintenance and improvements, etc. To help the forum out please become a Donor with a donation of $25 or more.

Thanks! I look forward future improvements on forum, especially faster speed, and continuing to be the best of its kind on the web. Vaughn Paul

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ads on the Forum

Post by basab14 » 13 Oct 2012

Sir,

If the old posts are deleted, will not that help in improving the forum speed? If so, it can be done, I guess.
Last edited by basab14 on 13 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
"Go thou and follow Him, who was born and gave His life for others five hundred times before He attained the vision of the Buddha!" -- Swami Vivekananda

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

There's a lot of valuable info that can be pulled up internally on the forum search engine, but also from Google. So, I think having all our existing content is good for the forum. Also, text takes up the least amount of bandwidth. A much bigger drag on bandwidth is the Live Chat, and many have commented that the forum is slower since introducing the Live Chat. It's a popular part of the forum now though, and I think most people would like to keep it going if possible. Vaughn Paul

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 13 Oct 2012

Sir, But it will be good idea to have some one time subscription for using the chat room. regards
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Anuradha,
What do you mean by Time Subscription? Members pay to use the Live Chat? Like a monthly fee? Or do you mean something else? Vaughn Paul

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 13 Oct 2012

Sir, I wish to say if the forum takes Rs 500 per year as a charge for using the chat room. regards
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Anuradha,
Good idea. However, we first have to find solutions for Indian residents to make payments through Paypal or other means before we could consider requiring payment. Paypal has changed its regulations in the last year with regards to accepting payment from Indian residents. Maybe are not able to use the system that's in place now. Vaughn Paul

deeps

Post by deeps » 13 Oct 2012

Whenever I log in, my first attention goes to posts and threads. I am yet to see the ads properly. So ads are not an issue for me.

I agree with the suggestion that LOVA chat should be done away with it. Maybe you have not visited the chat and see what kind of discussions go on there. :oops:

Or, If chat should be there, then LOVA messenger can be separately created and downloaded like Google talk. :mrgreen:

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Vaughn Paul wrote:A much bigger drag on bandwidth is the Live Chat, and many have commented that the forum is slower since introducing the Live Chat. It's a popular part of the forum now though, and I think most people would like to keep it going if possible.
Sir,

I have noticed that lova has gone slow only after chat was introduced on the forum. Now, this is an astrology forum, not a chatting space, so it will be appreciated if the people who wants to chat, chat on gtalk or [No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum] messenger or even on facebook, getting the chat room here, if that helps in increasing the speed of the forum.

It will also help in another way: the forum will get more active that way as many people instead of doing the astrological discussion on the forum do it on chat, and chat not getting recorded like forum posts, the learners ends up missing a lot. After all someone who is searching for something on astrology won't find what was discussed in chat as it won't come up on google search.

I have noticed this as well that people just fool around on chat, and I think it's not worth it that that should be allowed at the cost of the problems the forum is facing.

Now, if money should be charged at all for updating the server and for other expenses in regard to the forum, then it should be charged from those, who uses the chat, as Anuradha rightly said, not from those who doesn't use it. Why should those, who don't use the chat pay money when lova chat is the reason the forum is facing problems and money is needed to be spent on it?

I have nothing against lova chat, but as it is creating problems for the forum, it should be taken off or money asked for from those using it to pay for the problems it ends up creating for the forum in general.
Last edited by basab14 on 13 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.
"Go thou and follow Him, who was born and gave His life for others five hundred times before He attained the vision of the Buddha!" -- Swami Vivekananda

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Yellow,
Because the chat is not recorded and is basically unregulated, it allows people to be more informal. It serves some purpose as an alternative way to communicate with others in real time. I can see why people like it. It adds liveliness to the forum and is a draw that increases traffic and curiosity. I'm not opposed to it. Perhaps, there's a way that it can be hosted separately, yet accessed through the forum, so that there's not a drag on the forum speed. Also, once we figure out a payment system that works easily for Indian residents, perhaps the Live Chat could be paid subscription as Anuradha suggested. Vaughn Paul

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sir,

I have no problem with lova chat. I said all that I said just because the forum is facing problems. If the problems can be taken care of with the chat being there, then it's very good. Yes, it would be good to introduce paid subscription for those using chat.

deeps

Paul,

Yes the idea of creating separate host for chat is a good one.

One thing more. Nothing in this world is for free. Make the reading section a paid section now. Let the querists decide whom to consult.

The panel of astrologers can be decided by you. (And no, I won't be a part of that panel :mrgreen: )

aseem
Last edited by deeps on 13 Oct 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Deeps,
We thought of having a Paid Reading section but there's a problem with Paypal's payment system especially for Indian residents, whom are majority of users. Until we get this resolved we can't implement this. Vaughn Paul

deeps

What is the problem with paypal? I just can't seem to understand.

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's actually not Paypal, it's the bank regulations within India. At least, from what I understand. Vaughn Paul

deeps

what regulations sir? Is it higher rate of charges?

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't know specifically.

deeps

Dear Vaughn ji,

SO it means there is no problem. Maybe some people have difficult in understanding the currency conversion. If that is the problem, a guideline can be given there to enable Indians to see how much Rs 100 will cost in terms of dollars befoe making payment.

aseem

KET

Post by KET » 13 Oct 2012

Vaughn Paul wrote:Dear Yellow,
Because the chat is not recorded and is basically unregulated, it allows people to be more informal. It serves some purpose as an alternative way to communicate with others in real time. I can see why people like it. It adds liveliness to the forum and is a draw that increases traffic and curiosity. I'm not opposed to it. Perhaps, there's a way that it can be hosted separately, yet accessed through the forum, so that there's not a drag on the forum speed. Also, once we figure out a payment system that works easily for Indian residents, perhaps the Live Chat could be paid subscription as Anuradha suggested. Vaughn Paul
Vaughn Paul ji
In order LOVA to sustain longer, main source of materials should be tapped is sponser i.e. through advertisement. This should help in revenue generation on continuous basis.
You had raised important point, maximum folks are from India in assessing LOVA materials.In generating the donation, my point would be the process should be user friendly to Indians in India to donate the money. As you said,PAYPAL system available to donate the amount, the folks in India many of them are not aware of PAYPAL mode payment.Folks here utilizes Credit Card/Debit Card viz ( any service provider linked to VISA or Master Card) or Bank transfer (online transaction), though former is practiced maximum. Some folks are concerned about documentations involved in transferring a FOREX amount outside amount ( one require Permanent Account Number etc), a Credit card payment will be easier route to donate

Is it possible to charge a nominal amount say USD1per PVT message sent from their Inbox . That is if any member tries to send pvt message, a pop up will ask about USD1 payment through credit card or Debit card

I agree Chat room discussion adds on as a marketing tool for LOVA, where readers can engage with astrologers/ moderators to discuss on astro/spirituality, Remedies etc

Chat room utilization shouldn't be one time fee, it should be like tiers, member has to pay USD2 for one month or USD 6 for six months or USD 10 for one year period. The member can opt for one tier and later on can upgrade or low grade as per tiers. This service can be renewed either monthly, half yearly or Annually

Regards
KET

rathodp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rathodp » 14 Oct 2012

Current RBI regulations (inforce since 1st march 2011) requires all paypal account holder residing in India to give their PAN no which means all transactions on Paypal comes under scrutiny of income tax department.
Indian residents cant park funds in their paypal account for more then 7 days and has to transfer the amount to their bank account linked with paypal,either thru cheque or wire transfer which means paying a charge to the bank and paypal for each transaction.
So if one has to make a payment via paypal he/she has to first transfer the funds to paypal from the bank then make it which makes it a bit complicated plus at the end of the year you r answerable to the tax authorities as to where and why you made the payment. There is also a limit of $500.

Charging for most of the services on the site would turn away members who in this era of internet are used to freebies and free services,let the site concentrate on ad revenue which thru trial and error give good income in months to come.

Another suggestion would be to have a panel of astrologers for paid readings and the site keeps half the amount as fees and rest goes to astrologer answering the query.
deeps wrote:what regulations sir? Is it higher rate of charges?

deeps

Post by deeps » 14 Oct 2012

Current RBI regulations (inforce since 1st march 2011) requires all paypal account holder residing in India to give their PAN no which means all transactions on Paypal comes under scrutiny of income tax department.
Indian residents cant park funds in their paypal account for more then 7 days and has to transfer the amount to their bank account linked with paypal,either thru cheque or wire transfer which means paying a charge to the bank and paypal for each transaction.
So if one has to make a payment via paypal he/she has to first transfer the funds to paypal from the bank then make it which makes it a bit complicated plus at the end of the year you r answerable to the tax authorities as to where and why you made the payment. There is also a limit of $500.
Thankyou Rathod. The information provided you really helped me. Now I have understood what is the problem. :)

Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Saindhavi » 14 Oct 2012

Vaughn Paulji,

I don't mind the ads.

But I have never found the page loading a problem - the problem is with the Internet connections of the members, not of LOVA server. I am using broadband and the page loads immediately on my connection.

So, you don't have to worry about the server speed.

As for generating more revenue, I suggest that make all readings - regardless of where they are posted - a low-cost paid affair - say, $60/- per reading and $15/- for additional questions.

Let people ask any member to read charts according to their choice, rather than you creating a list of chart-readers.

Since they'll be paying money, they should have the privilege to choose their own chart-readers.

Let the charges be split between LOVA and the person reading the chart - each getting 50% of the amount.

The members asking for reading can pay in a LOVA Paypal account specifically created for the purpose, with option to pay via credit/debit card without Paypal if they don't understand the Paypal system.

Since this account will be in the US, there will be no limit on the amount.

At the end of each month, you can send the money due to each member who read charts, either via Paypal or via cheques.

But let me caution you that the moment you charge money for reading charts, the number of reading queries will drop considerably. Right now, so many people are asking for readings precisely because it's free.

I don't think charging for PM is a good idea.

You may charge people for using chat room.

you may increase the donation amount.

But as I said, if speed is really the issue, it's no issue, because it is really related to the slow Internet connections of members, not of LOVA.
Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

Vaughn Paul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Vaughn Paul » 14 Oct 2012

Dear Saindavi,
Thanks for all your suggestions. Right now it's a payment system problem that needs to be resolved, particularly with Indian residents trying to use a credit or debit through the Paypal system. If it weren't for that, we would have already implemented an optional Paid Forum for readings which would co-exist along with the current forum, or some similar system. Likely, we'd always have the option to have free readings.

Regarding forum speed, it's definitely a server problem. I've confirmed it with the hosting company, and it's due to increase of traffic at certain times of high use, but not all the time. Also, the Live Chat is a drag on bandwidth, and forum speed has reduced since implementing Live Chat. Vaughn Paul

Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Saindhavi » 14 Oct 2012

Vaughn Paulji,

Ok, in that case, you can increase the amount of donation. That's the best option along with ads.

Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

KET

Post by KET » 14 Oct 2012

V.P Ji

The idea of PM needs to be charged is the fact that the suggestion made Chat room need to be put on cost+ per member, as Chat room or chat messages are detrimental to high traffic density. In case if LOVA doesnt charge on PMs, folks will resort alternate mode through chatting or messaging that is PM. Again, the issue will crop up for network speed of LOVA
Therefore my suggestion is if LOVA mgmnt is resorting to a fee for using Chat room per member, similarly PM from members needs to be levied too... so this will deter LOVA members not to engage other modes of chattting.. therby helps in controlling LOVA network... After all, why one require PM option, everything has to be transparent in Astrology. If members wants to ask query they can resort to normal option of using the various items in LOVA site not the way through PM. If they have to, than charging of PMs would be ideal. This would be a balanced approach.
Regarding, member to pay for astrology consultation.. I think and foresee LOVA site is for educating on astrological issue to a native...if LOVA wants to charge fee for consultation for astroloy than Purpose f LOVA is lost. If a member wants to earn through astrology consultation via LOVA, than it is imperative that member trying open real time office though net via LOVA site for earning... in such cases I feel LOVA being in U.S. has to need to look into complying with Privacy and confidential agreement act in U.S. and outside U.S.
Therefore, my suggestion would for earning through astrology via LOVA, LOVA can look for an additional website, where a member can also charge fee for consultation through astrology through another website but not through LOVA, which for education on astrology and awareness