sanskrit

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
suniti
sanskrit

Post by suniti » 07 Apr 2011

mahadbhyo namah

I'm thinking of starting a thread on sanskrit where i can learn by looking up things :D .

Sanskrit is the anciant language that many modern day words have sprung from, a divine language that flows even today in regional languages.
It is the key to much ancient knowledge.

Though i'm not well versed in either sanskrit or astrology it would be interesting to look at some classical texts and breaking down some of the commonly used words.
As jyotish is a vedaanga i think i can surely learn more by looking at the sanskrit roots.
I would also like to have look at ther verses of philosphy, samhita and newer stotras.

Let's see how far this goes, i would probably base this thread on if anyone else is intersted, while i enjoyed "a room of ones own" this i would prefer to do if anyone else also has opinions contributions or interest...

If anyone is interested are there any ideas on how to go about this?

suniti

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: sanskrit

Post by Dev » 07 Apr 2011

Hi Suniti:

That is a very good idea. U shd start that. As we keep going we can learn but may be we have inputs from others too.

Dev

suniti

Post by suniti » 07 Apr 2011

svarbhanu wrote:suniti

Caveat:
Svarbhanu sir
thank you for your warning sir but is latin acceptable? :D

Devji
Dev wrote:. As we keep going we can learn but may be we have inputs from others too.
Dear Devji

I would love if others gave input, right now i look forward to yours :D :D

suniti

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 08 Apr 2011

Suniti:
Sanskrit is the anciant language that many modern day words have sprung from, a divine language that flows even today in regional languages.

From what u said above, may be we should start with simple words that are in common use and have their origin in sanskrit. May be some of us know its origin and some donot know and have been using them. This would be the simplest way to proceed I feel and then we could get more advanced and take some slokas, upanishads and other things that have some of these words and then relate saying sanskrit is not that difficult if given a try.

Some common words in usage in south that come to my mind I would say are:
Jalam, pariharam, mandapam, kriyai, vesham, payasam, Annam, chamaram, balam, sangeetham, samsaram, shastram, puranam, pavitram, santosham, soukhyam, sampradayam and so on.

They are in more common usage in brahmin families than in others.

What I say may sound too elementary but for the benefit of all, I thought so. Anyway give your inputs and if we can begin with some simple slokas too and their usage in day to day life, it would be easy to relate for beginners in sanskrit like vidhya dadati vinayam and so on.

Dev
Last edited by Dev on 08 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 08 Apr 2011

sunitiji

how about starting off with various names of grahas & rashis and deducing their significance.

here is a sample: one rashi is also known as कीट(i hope this is the right spelling)
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

suniti

Post by suniti » 08 Apr 2011

Dear sir
that is a nice idea to go into the classifications of rashis and such,
how did you type that in sanskrit?
please do input anything you have
i'm weak in both subjects of astrology and sanskrit and am doing this to learn myself.
i hope i don't go way off course and please ahead ahead of time i do request you(and all) to correct me and forgive my mistakes
pranaams
suniti

suniti

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Last edited by suniti on 02 May 2011, edited 2 times in total.

suniti

Dev wrote:Suniti:

From what u said above, may be we should start with simple words that are in common use and have their origin in sanskrit. May be some of us know its origin and some donot know and have been using them. This would be the simplest way to proceed I feel and then we could get more advanced and take some slokas, upanishads and other things that have some of these words and then relate saying sanskrit is not that difficult if given a try.

Some common words in usage in south that come to my mind I would say are:
Jalam, pariharam, mandapam, kriyai, vesham, payasam, Annam, chamaram, balam, sangeetham, samsaram, shastram, puranam, pavitram, santosham, soukhyam, sampradayam and so on.
ers.

What I say may sound too elementary but for the benefit of all, I thought so. Anyway give your inputs and if we can begin with some simple slokas too and their usage in day to day life, it would be easy to relate for beginners in sanskrit like vidhya dadati vinayam and so on.

Dev
Dear Devji
sorry for the late reply, i had already posted when i saw your write up.
thats exactly what i was thinking
was of going through regional language words but as i'm most comfortable in english :oops: its not something i can do by myself!
thank you for the list. :D
One thing that happens in sanskrit, is that in regional languages the meaning may be one of the meanings in sanskrit,
maybe not one of the first ones.
Like in vichitra, i regional languages, it has taken the meaning of strange but in sanskrit literature it means wonderful or something like that.
like Kaala Bhairav Ashtakam in the phala shruti it says "vichitra punya" here it is not a strange type of punya but a pretty awesome one.
As everyone knows Anna, meaning rice in regional languages is all "food" in most original sanskrit texts . Which leaves room for one of my poor jokes,
if i prepare a rice dish, i say i prepared vichitranna, which could go either way :D (not to be arrogant but its usually in the sanskrit way )

Then like you said a lot of them are the same, like jala, santosha,sangeeta, all beautiful words derived from sanskrit.

Thanks so much Devji for this list of words. please keep it coming

pranaams
suniti

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 08 Apr 2011

Last edited by kandhan on 08 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 08 Apr 2011

Thanks Suniti. You are right about vichitram having a different meaning in the south. It is an exception.

Other words:
Netram, Punyam, Papam, Desham, geetam, kavyam, karanam, karyam, vruksham, ahambhavam, amudam, agni, vayu, akasham, patram, phalitam, veeryam, vijayam, vanaram, vargottamam, vasantham, mayuram, matsyam, sarvam, shantam, sugandham, parasparam, teertham, sundaram, sandeham, souryam, soulabham, sugandham, sravanam, manasu from manasa, vak from vacha, hastam, regai from rekha

Dev

suniti

Yesterday when i was trying to start my first post here, i had started with the first verse of Bhaja Govindam
and how Adi Shankara says. "dukrnkarane" (grammar rules) wont save one at the time of death.

In this i realized i don't have the knowledge or mental capacity to take up such a daunting task. Maybe even to learn i have spend 12 years in Kashi studying
this stuff.It was pretty overambitious of me to think about doing this :oops:

so i humbly throw in the towel on this thread, if anyone else can do it that'll be awesome.

Devji thanks again for the new word list, its wonderful how you use and see Sanskrit in daily words
and Kandan Sir thanks from the google translater link

Pranaams
suniti
Last edited by suniti on 02 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 10 Apr 2011

Hi Suniti:

DUKRNKARANE
Means, other knowledge or vedantic knowledge.
In Manduka upanishad, knowledge is divided in to para and apara vidya.

Apara vidya : Rik, Yajus, Sama, Atharva (4 vedas)
Siksha, Kalpam, Vyakaranam, Niruktham, Chanda and Jyothisham (Veda angas)

Para vidya : The ever existing experience based knowledge about Brahma.

So, Adi Sankaracharya explains the value of para vidya over that of apara vidya. Para vidya is the great knowledge, whereas apara vidya is meaningless (devotion is important, knowledge of veda is not).

This is the inner meaning.
It is in the infinite that true happiness lies, not in the finite. Thus grammar may be useful as a means for understanding the truth.But it ought not to be made an end in itself.

Of course, this is got from literature and not my own explanation.

Dev