Parashara's Light vs. Jagganatha Hora

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
astroboy
Donor
Donor
Re: Parashara's Light vs. Jagganatha Hora

Post by astroboy » 17 Jan 2011

Good day to you Bode,

That is correct. With Parashara, you can configure each page (there are 300 of them) to suit your taste and to access the information you need . One cool point about Parashara is that it displays the Nakshatra name and the degree of the planets next to the planet it'self . you can configure it in such a way that you need not take your eyes off the Chart . J hora is a different animal in its own right . I feel J hora has a lot more to offer than Parashara in terms of options . Between the two, I would stick with J hora though . Once you configure the colours on the screen, its a lot more easier to view .

Trust this help's

Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

JupiterLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by JupiterLight » 02 May 2011

svd108 wrote:The doubt is why the two softwares, JH and PL are showing different placement of planets in the natal chart. I was checking for the chart of my friend whose details are:
DOB:19/november/1974; New Delhi; 3.35am
The position of Moon in PL is 4th house while in JH it is in lagna (virgo)
The position of Su and Ve in PL are in 3rd house in PL but in JH they are in 2nd house.
I am confused how to go ahead. Can you please resolve this problem for me?
Oh thats scary :o ...
I dont have Parashara , would i, id checked...
but please someone verify this! :|
❀Do not covet others wealth. Every Karma Boomerangs❀
The vidya of Jyotisha is all about looking for patterns
Please note I am only a STUDENT of Astrology !

anuradha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anuradha » 02 May 2011

Moon is in 4H, 29 degrees and 41 minutes in Sagittarius.
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

Anandham
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anandham » 28 Oct 2013

Poster svd108 has raised a point about pretty important discrepancies in the two software programs when it comes to planet placements in different houses. So, which of these two show accurate/correct placements? I have been using JHora (many thanks to PVR for providing this free), so I am now confused after reading below that placements show such large variations between these two softwares. Does anyone have experience using both, PL and Jhora? Have you found such differences as well?

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 28 Oct 2013

I have found PL to be more accurate in its calculation of Shadbala but Jhora has its advantages, it displays Arudhas and also has features like Sarvathobhadra chakra (though its inaccurate in my view). I mainly use PL to record transit effects in real time - a feature which Jhora lacks. But PL is meant for researchers and students so its not really intended for normal users and its not free also.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

Anandham
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, elipsis. Yes, PL is expensive and given the cost it does seem better matched to those doing a serious study of astrology and know how to interpret all the information it gives. I was mainly concerned about accuracy of planet placements in JHora. I guess it must be since the software is pretty popular with serious practitioners too.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 28 Oct 2013

Jhoras planetary placement differs slightly when compared to PL. I study all charts in PL and use Jhora for casual predictions. But you can add corrective ayanamsa in Jhora so that it can match PL.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

Anandham
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, yes...I remember you gave the specific ayanamsa details in that other thread.

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Crystalpages » 12 May 2014

elipsis wrote:Jhoras planetary placement differs slightly when compared to PL. I study all charts in PL and use Jhora for casual predictions. But you can add corrective ayanamsa in Jhora so that it can match PL.
However, the discrepancy pointed out by member svd108 is more serious! S/he was getting moon in virgo for JH and moon in dhanu by PL. I do not believe anyone has resolved that yet!

Since 2011 (when svd108 posted), JH has presumably gone through a few updates. I would be curious to find the current value for moon by JH if someone has the software (current or recent version)? 3-4 sign difference is simply too much!

Thanks in advance!

Rohiniranjan
++++++++++++++++++++++
from svd108's original posting:-
DOB:19/november/1974; New Delhi; 3.35am
The position of Moon in PL is 4th house while in JH it is in lagna (virgo)
++++++++++++++++++++++
Rohiniranjan

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 12 May 2014

Using traditional lahiri in JH will nearly match the PLv7 positions - ie, Moon in Uttarashadha @ 29''42 in Sagittarius. In JH the timezones and co-ordinates are incorrect in some cases.

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

elipsis wrote:Using traditional lahiri in JH will nearly match the PLv7 positions - ie, Moon in Uttarashadha @ 29''42 in Sagittarius. In JH the timezones and co-ordinates are incorrect in some cases.
Thanks Elipsis! So, can we assume that the OP probably made a typo or some error when s/he reported that JH calculations place moon in virgo in this case? That sounded a bit too great of a departure. Of course, it could be a version error depending on which JH the OP was using.

When comparing software, particularly when both have numerous options etc, the parameters, notably ayanamsha must be carefully checked or else the A:B comparison risks becoming Apples:Pears! :-)

I have not used JH, but even for PL, the atlas has significant issues, because there are so many duplications. The same city with five or more possible different listings! One has really got to remain careful and keep atlases handy! PL used to use simple ASCII text files for atlases (coordinate listings) in the earlier versions. These were user editable and so spurious listings could be simply edited out! Now, unfortunately, it is not possible anymore! Their reading files etc too have many TYPOS which adversely affects (though not destructively) a feature that could be potentially so valuable for beginners and memory-refreshers for other users. Oh well, the world is not perfect...!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 12 May 2014

Rohiniranjan,

Yes you can assume that, whenever JH screws things up there is a reset option that resets everything back to normal.I've come to a point where I don't need that level of accuracy over birth time but for transit analysis - where I must track stocks, forex and corporate accounts in real-time there the co-ordinates of those regions must be precise. I do not think that anybody can go beyond the accuracy of D2 because the ayanamsas come into play which changes everything as well as your views on astrology - if you are into ayanamsa research you'll come to realize there are many discrepancies in Lahiri and KP because the historical findings are inaccurate and also doesn't take into account many other factors such as horizon, surface temperature, season, atmospheric pressure and variance in solar wave radiation. So there can never be an accurate birth chart but bold astrologers do step into dangerous waters quite often but some do end up in a whirlpool and go round and round in circles. Whats truly important is the speed of a planet - as you are aware planets have variable speeds - that's because the earth travels in a certain orbit which facilitates the speed of other planets...as it moves closer to sun its summer, the temperature naturally goes up as sun gets exalted while the slow movers get left behind. So the planets do slow down, go faster or even come to an halt for a certain amount of time, these are the factors that impact the chart not the time of birth....if you know the hour of birth that's more than enough.

Regards

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Elipsis, I have focused entirely so far on individual natal horoscopy (regular people and general public) and am well aware of the potential pit-falls as well as in awe of how much the ancients were aware of (and incorporated in shadbala an interesting matrix of astronomical and other factors) things such as relative velocity of planetary orbits and so on, and complex software do contain 'factory-reset' options ;-), however, new users generally refrain from studying the user manuals and copious help-files that most software come equipped with and this sometimes creates hiccups for them, and we see (hear?) those from time to time.

Anyways, the important thing seems that the comment about JH (or any software for that matter) earlier raised in this thread was questionable and the main discrepancy despite several responses had remained addressed but that loose end has now been tied!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan