My View's on Free will and Destiny.

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
astroboy
Donor
Donor
My View's on Free will and Destiny.

Post by astroboy » 02 Oct 2010

Good day to you all,

I decided to do this piece because of the number of free will vs. destiny posts floating around this forum. I thought I will try to bring some sense into the confusion we all have regarding this issue. I hope I can put to rest this complex and vexed issue once and for all.

I started studying astrology in late 2006. Till then I was skeptical of whether the concept of God, karma, Jyotish, and Upaya’s really existed and worked. It’s nice to examine everything with a critical eye and not just accept what is thrown at you. It not only should convince you, it should also work for you. I approached the entire gamut of this subject like a cynic would. Once I was convinced all these concepts work there was no looking back any more.
I will try and keep matters and facts as simple as possible. I would like to present the concept of Destiny vs. free will in a manner which will be easily absorbed. I will also delve into why it’s necessary and important to consult an astrologer and why it’s necessary to believe in remedies.

Let us start by trying to understand the concept of karma. For it is this karma that determines our life. Karma literally means, “to do". But it's not as simple as it sounds. Karma means actions and deeds, and our actions and deeds give us the fruits it deserves.

The law of karma is incredibly complex. The first thing which is taught to any student of astrology is "gahanah karmano gatih" which means the currents of karma are very deep. And truly it is. They say God invented the laws of karma and retired. My guru always says, and I quote “born because of their past mistakes, they make more mistakes and fall into greater mistakes.” And it's also true when he says like gravity the concepts of karma are so basic that we don't even notice it. Sharon stone recently said that the Chinese earthquake which occurred in Sichuan province which killed 80, 000 people was the result of their bad karmas. It was an answer for what they did in Tibet. Now I wish it was that simple, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth (Matthew 5: 38) but that's not how it works. Though a simple explanation to describe the law of karma would be as you sow, so shall you reap or that it’s like the Newton’s 3rd law of motion “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction” it’s no simplistic tit for tat theory. The law is complex, as you will see.

Karma’s are divided into several categories, namely Sanchita (the total heap of karma’s performed by our past life’s action’s known and unknown we bring in this life time to this world), Prarabdha (That portion of Sanchita karma’s which are ready and ripe to be experienced by the individual during it’s lifetime) here a sub category comes into play ... Dridha (firm, fixed, and fated karmas which have to be experienced no matter what. Nothing can change it whatsoever) Dridha Adridha (karmas which are very very difficult to change and would require immense effort and application of mind and resources to change) and Adridha karma’s (which can be easily altered ... it's like having a clean slate and you can write what you please on it). What we do every minute of our lives is Kriyamana karma, and last of all is Agama karma, the effects of our actions that you contemplate as a result of insight.

For example if a child is born lame at birth that is his sanchita karma. His prarabdha karma was ripe from birth and he is forced to experience it from day one. Going to the doctor and trying to get his leg fixed is Kriyamana karma ... experiencing the pain of several operations and physiotherapy to try and fix his deformity is Dridha karma. The pain has to be experienced no matter what. Will the surgery succeed in correcting his deformity is dridha- adridha karma. We can try to correct the deformity but it we cannot be sure. Will the result be dridha karma is to be seen? Not having the luck to fix his deformity because of the lack of medical or financial resource is Dridha karma ... nothing is done / can be done about the deformity and he has no choice but to live that way for the rest of his life. The kriyamana karma was trying to get his legs fixed. The agama karma is his state and quality of life after his efforts to get his leg fixed.

The act of performing karma is called Kriyamana karma. This requires some explanation. People are not mere puppets mechanically manipulated by the effects of their past actions, we can by exertion of our will, create new actions in the present, good or bad. Our kriyamana karma is what we do at any moment with our capacity of free will. For if there was no concept of free will, how did we land in this life in the state we are in? It is the free will allotted to us in the past that has allowed us to mould our life, and the result’s of the pastlife are being experienced in this life. (That would depend on your state of mind and other factors and circumstances at that point of time – all of which are related to several influences that the planets have based on their position in your horoscope).

So what is Jyotish? The one burning question that plagued mankind was “if there is a past how do we know what we were and did in the past?” there is just one way to peek into the past and that is through a horoscope. A horoscope is a map of the planets, the houses, and the stars at the time you took birth. The study of a horoscope is called jyotishya. The word is derived from two roots jyoti meaning light and isha meaning god.... Jyotishya literally means light of the god. Jyotish involves the study of the heavenly lights and their effects on human lives. Every human being is controlled by his own past karma’s. Meta-physically each person is a microscopic universe. Seers of ancient India discovered that the universe is controlled by an unseen power. The Rishi’s believed that this unseen power has outsourced the job of handing out each one’s karma’s, good or bad to the 9 planets. Astrology is a tool with which we can peer into the past to find out what our past karmas are. Astrology is simply an indication; possibility of the future, astrology is a science of trends and tendencies. With the help of this divine science one can see what one has to endure and what one has to overcome instead of either frustrating attempts to change a certainty or sink back into utter defeatism. The twelve houses suggest to the Jyotish what advantages or disadvantages will be available to an individual in the various arenas of life and what he or she will do with these. In a horoscope the twelve houses represent the totality of the external conditions of your existence as experienced by the internal state of mind including particularly your emotions which influence and are influenced by those outer conditions. Internal experience as we all know is often disproportionate to the external environment. A good example to illustrate this point would be the fact that being rich will not necessarily make you happy, nor being poor doom you to being miserable.

One reason why astrology is such an intrinsic part of India’s religion and culture is that no other instrument can describe the past, present and the future with such breath of vision and variety like Jyotish can.

A horoscope therefore is a map of the planets which indicate what you have come into this world with. It is the map of our past reincarnation as a human and all the karma's we have to pay or get paid for.

Parihara (Remedy or relief) refers in jyotish to the use of Agama and Kriyamana karma’s to remedy adverse astrological combinations. This is a phantom limb of Jyotish and may well be its most important and useful division. The existence of “Upaya’s and remedies “ shows that jyotish is anything but fatalistic for if everything were totally predestined, How could Remedies exist ? a well motivated person who is giving a upaya by which to neutralize some undesirable karma’s will implement that upaya for whatever time and with whatever intensity is necessary . But a poorly motivated person will either lack the discipline to follow through or will find obstacle cropping up regularly to interrupt the process. Obstacles to an upaya occur particularly for dridha karma’s since the force of the karma strongly discourages a change in the direction in that area of life. The karma does themselves will themselves interfere with the person’s motivation to implement the remedy.

I have in the past 4 years experienced the wonders of remedies. When I was running my Asthma Shani, My whole world was turned upside down. I was desperate for some solace. Nothing would keep me calm. I was in the Bangalore airport one evening when I decided to browse the book store. I generally am a reader of fiction and nothing else, this time I was automatically drawn to the spirituality section. there in the corner of the book rack was “the greatness of Saturn” I don’t know why and I don’t know how my eyes fell only on that book. It was like the whole shelf was empty and that was the only book I could see. I have 2 hours of waiting before the flight. I did not bother to go through the store, just picked up the book and started reading it. That book changed my life. Why did Shani help me??? Because he is my Lagna lord and is in the 5th house. He put me through great hardship no doubt, but also induced me into reading about him. He helped me understand him. Once I realised why I was suffering, I calmed down, The rest was easy. This is the power of a remedy.

Another time, I was testing a flying array for a dance event. The equipment was set and calibrated. The DJ comes on stage and instead of playing a dance track plays a Sanskrit track I shut the system down went up to him and asked him if he had lost his mind, why would a DJ play a Sanskrit track for a dance party ? He says “My CD case is yet to come. I was carrying a test CD, the cover was of “Paul Van Dyk “but the CD inside got mixed up by mistake. I said ok let’s play it, what choice did we have, It’s after all a dry run. The track started, 1 minute into the track and I was transfixed. I could not move a muscle, it sounded so good, I was in tears. I asked him what the name of the track was; he did not know the name. It took me 3 months before I could figure out the track’s title. It was the “Totakastakam”. This is when I realized what Mantra’s and Beeja Mantra’s can do to you. It saved me from going insane. I listen to it to this day. Remedies do work. We must love the remedy, the remedy will love you back .

Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Re: My View's on Free will and Destiny.

A great man Swami Sri Yukteswar described the concept of free will and Destiny really well,

You are born on that day, at that hour, and at that minute, when the celestial rays are in mathematical harmony with your individual karma. Your horoscope is a portrait, revealing your unalterable past and its future results. The message boldly blazoned across the heavens at the moment of birth is not meant to emphasize fate—the result of past good and evil—but to arouse your will to escape from your universal thralldom. What you have done, you can undo. None other than yourself were the instigator of the causes of whatever effects are now prevalent in your life. You can overcome any limitation, because you created it by your own actions in the first place, and because you has spiritual resources which are not subject to planetary pressure."
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

astroboy
Donor
Donor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9Hs6HzSlY - Totakastakam

My latest pillar of support, when I think there is no hope,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTfceAqDO

milredr

Post by milredr » 03 Oct 2010

Hi
The above explainations and quotes are simple, basic and very well explained. Thank u

Basab

Post by Basab » 03 Oct 2010

Astroboy,

Have you ever heard of this saying: "Dane dane mein likha hein khane wale ka naam"? It means, in each and every grain is written the name of the person who will eat it.

Now, I would like to quote for you a few paragraph's from Chapter 21, 'We Visit Kashmir", of the book "Autobiography of a Yogi", (the same book from where you have quoted the lines said by Sri Yukteshwar):

'Master was curious about the strange little red fruits. He bought a basketful and offered it to Kanai and myself, who were near-by. I tasted one berry but spat it hastily on the ground.

"Sir, what a sour fruit! I could never like strawberries!"

My guru laughed. "Oh, you will like themin America. At a dinner there, your hostess will serve them with sugar and cream. After she has mashed the berries with a fork, you will taste them and say: 'What delicious strawberries!' Then you will remember this day in Simla."

Sri Yukteswar's forecast vanished from my mind, but reappeared there many years later, shortly after my arrival in America. I was a dinner guest at the home of Mrs. Alice T. Hasey (Sister Yogmata) in West Somerville, Massachusetts. When a dessert of strawberries was put on the table, my hostess picked up her fork and mashed my berries, adding cream and sugar. "The fruit is rather tart; I think you will like it fixed this way," she remarked.

I took a mouthful. "What delicious strawberries!" I exclaimed. At once my guru's prediction in Simla emerged from the fathomless cave of memory. It was staggering to realize that long ago Sri Yukteswar's God-tuned mind had sensitively detected the program of karmic events wandering in the ether of futurity.'

And lastly, I would like you to read the following article of Vaughn Paul, titled, "The Acceptance of 'What Is'": http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/da ... 080607.htm

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 03 Oct 2010

lene wale karod denewala ek ram."

You quoted only one line. :) i finished the rest.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Swami Dayananda is talking about learning to accept Dridha Karma's. Sri Yukteshwar was so good at astrology, He knew that it was a "Dridha karma" that the "shishya" would end up eating strawberries in America one day.

Basab

Thanks for that. :)
astroboy wrote:lene wale karod denewala ek ram."

You quoted only one line. :) i finished the rest.

Basab

Hmmm... :|
astroboy wrote:Swami Dayananda is talking about learning to accept Dridha Karma's. Sri Yukteshwar was so good at astrology, He knew that it was a "Dridha karma" that the "shishya" would end up eating strawberries in America one day.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

When you factor free will, and if you want to weigh how much a man can accomplish in life you have to take into consideration the “Upachaya houses” “Upachaya means “improvement, growth or progress”. These houses create a certain amount of urge which drives one to improve their life’s situations and get better over time. These houses have a competitive edge to them. Upachaya houses show potential and opportunities for personal growth and gains

As we all know, The upachaya houses are 3,6,10,11.

The 3rd house gives courage vitality stamina mental inclination and perseverance while the 6th provides superior strength seriousness competitive and combative skills. The 10th is the the place where "Kriyamana Karma is performed. Armed with these 3 houses when one acts, the success and gains are determined as a result of the 11th house fructifications. The great progress which humanity has shown over centuries is because humans have not accepted destiny and fate as it is, but have used their free will to change the course of destiny in a positive direction.

I shall now analyze a horoscope where a man who started from scratch as a contractor in granite quarry and rose to become a multi millionaire, In USD terms, Not Rupees. His turn over last year was 126 crores RS.
22nd march 1965 @ 6.45 Am @ Navalgund

Concentrate on the 3rd the 6th the 10th and the 11th house.
The seed to succeed in life is sown in the 3rd house. The 3rd lord is in the Lagna exalted and the Lagna lord exchanges places with the 3rd lord. A 1st class parivarthana yoga. Remember even bad planets do extremely well in the Upachaya houses.
The 6th house is posited by the 2nd and the 9th lord Kuja. Kuja does extremely well in the 6th because it’s in a friendly sign and a fiery sign. Note the placement of the 6th lord Ravi in the Lagna.
The 6th lord and the Lagna are in the 11th lord Shani’s Nakshatra. Kuja the karaka for the 3rd house sits in the 6th and aspects the Lagna. Note the 3rd lord is in the 10th lord Guru’s Nakshatra Thus the Lagna gets Access and association with the 3rd the 6th and the 10th and the 11th.
The burning desire to succeed made him go through great hardships and personal pains. But in the end he landed where he wanted to. Today the man has a stable of cars which are worth 5.5 crores. The man operates his business in 3 countries. He owns 4 houses, several acres of agricultural land and is the only man who shipped a million tons of ore without owning a mine. The man now owns 3 mines and is on the way to procure the 4th. This is the power of Upachaya houses.

Suppose the man accepted his fate and sat on his butt claiming “destiny has screwed me, I was born in Navalgund that is my destiny, I will leave my life to fate since the odds are against me",...... not risen against the odds and fought, he would not be having an office in Shangai today, Nor would he have employed 370 people and provided an indirect source of employment to another 200. This is the success story of a man who came from Navalgund, a dusty district in North Karnataka and made it to Shangai. Hats off to the man and May god bless him always.

Next we shall analyse a horoscope of a man whose Upachaya house are afflicted and how he has to struggle to rise up in life.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Now let’s see another horoscope

26 04 1973 @ 00.26 @ Mangalore

Concentrate on the Upachaya houses,

The seed to succeed and to improve one’s life is sown in the 3rd house. The 3rd house lord is debilitated in the Lagna. The 6th lord is debilitated in the 3rd. The 10th lord is combust with the 8th lord. “Like my Guru would say “Just take the horoscope and keep it aside, don’t waste your time on a useless man”

But there are some redeeming factors. The need to succeed is not there, accepted, but if he makes up his mind, take it for granted he will achieve his goal. Why? Note the presence of the 11th lord in the Lagna. See the aspect of the 10th lord on the 10th. 10th lord is DigBala. Their desire for money, wealth and social recognition is not there. The native is happy where he is. The damage to the 3rd house is intense, thus damping all the significations of the 3rd. Even then, the native invested and reap dividends in heavy machinery and worked hard to pay the loans. He is fully debt free today. The 11th house ensured that. The afflicted 6th house gave him struggles. No matter what kind of platform he has, the 6th house and the 3rd house will not allow him to mould a bigger story that what he already has. That does not mean that he takes things lying down. He believes in trying his best. Only he know the struggle he has to face in order to achieve something. After all a fight is a fight.

This is why the author of this article believes fully in Free will. Man has shaped and will continue to shape this planet and his own life in spite of all odds. The only point is that he should do it with “dharma” and not “Adarma”, for if we continue to grow without dharmic principals our bad kriyamana karma will catch up with us one day, and we shall end up paying a heavy price for it.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Philippe Croizon (born 1967 or 1968) is a French athlete and the first quadruple amputee to swim across the English Channel.

His amputations were required due to a severe electric shock accident which occurred in March 1994.At the time, Croizon was employed as a steelworker at Fonderie du Poitou,[3] 26 years old and married, with one son; his wife was expecting a second child. At his home in Saint-Rémy-sur-Creuse, Vienne, while standing on a metal ladder on the roof to work on a television antenna, Croizon received a severe electric shock from a high-voltage power line which earthed (grounded) through the ladder, to which he became adhered. Twenty minutes passed before a neighbour could raise the alarm. He was hospitalized in Tours, where doctors removed his left arm above the elbow, his right arm below the elbow, then his right leg above the knee. Surgeons had thought that the left leg could be saved, but when that also required removal, Croizon reported feeling "despair".

During his recuperation in the hospital, he saw a television programme about a female channel-swimmer, who Croizon said inspired him. He began a regimen of swimming, training for over five hours per day with the Maritime Gendarmerie, the French marine police, in the sea near La Rochelle. He experimented with different prosthetic limbs designed for swimming, with fins attached to the stumps of his legs. One set of specially designed prosthetics cost €12,000, and are made from carbon and titanium.

He wrote a book entitled J'ai décidé de vivre (I Decided to Live), using a speech-to-text computer system. He also made a parachute jump.

Croizon's preparations for the channel-swim attempt took 35 hours per week for two years; throughout the training period, he received letters of support from national politicians, including French president Nicolas Sarkozy. It was during this period that he completed a swim from Noirmoutier to Pornic in less than five hours.

On Saturday, 18 September 2010, at the age of 42, he swam across the English Channel in less than 14 hours. He set off from Folkestone at 06:45, arriving at Cap Gris Nez at 20:13, a distance of 21 miles (34 km).[8][9] After the crossing, he reported that he had felt pain, but was confident that he would finish.

Basab

Astroboy,

I have a question: do we have the free will to decide on our 'free will' (the upachaya houses, according to you)?
astroboy wrote:When you factor free will, and if you want to weigh how much a man can accomplish in life you have to take into consideration the “Upachaya houses” “Upachaya means “improvement, growth or progress”.

Basab

astroboy wrote:“Like my Guru would say “Just take the horoscope and keep it aside, don’t waste your time on a useless man”
Felt bad to hear that your Guru thinks that way about some people. It reminded me of a quotation when I read the above quoted line of yours: "Bhagwan Shiva explains that no one is clever and no one is foolish, we all do whatever and whichever, he desires us to do."

astroboy
Donor
Donor

:) Basab, Let me tell you what is "Pre destined".

Because Shukra is Guru's enemy, Venus is dis-inclined to accept any well intended advice from Jupiter ( My Dasha is of Guru) The lord of wisdom and intuition. Librans have difficulty accepting wise counsel. This tendency causes a libran's wisdom to become clouded. This is true for Taurus natives too, who can be stubbon bulls, ( Your lagna lord is there ) but this is less pronounced for them compared to Tula because Tula is a active rashi which ignores advice actively.

Couple this with the Nakshatra the lagna and the Moon are in, I feel you will never get the point. Any way's My Moon and your's are in a 7/7 relationship which makes us "opposites" So We can go at this all our lives and you will still not get the point.

The vishaka nakshatra individual's habit to develop and perfect logical proof's for their dogmas, right or wrong and they present their findings right or wrong aggressively will ultimately alienate their audiences.

I therefore do not have any Logical answer's I can give you. You will have to find some one else to give you the answer to your last question. I am sorry.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

You wrote,

“Felt bad to hear that your Guru thinks that way about some people.”

My Guru was talking about my own horoscope. I dont feel bad about what he told me. Why would you ??
The 3rd house lord is debilitated in the Lagna. The 6th lord is debilitated in the 3rd. The 10th lord is combust with the 8th lord. “Like my Guru would say “Just take the horoscope and keep it aside, don’t waste your time on a useless man”

Basab

astroboy wrote: I therefore do not have any Logical answer's I can give you. You will have to find some one else to give you the answer to your last question. I am sorry.
It's you, and not me, who needs to get an answer to that question or find some logic for what you think is right, why should I bother about finding it?

Basab

Astroboy,

I knew it to be your horoscope before you told me about it. And it's not about what you felt about what your guru said, but about the way he thinks, the way he looks at life, is what made me feel bad. There are many people in this world, who are very useful, but not good, and many, who are useless, but good, I will any day respect the latter than the former.
astroboy wrote:You wrote,

“Felt bad to hear that your Guru thinks that way about some people.”

My Guru was talking about my own horoscope. I dont feel bad about what he told me. Why would you ??
The 3rd house lord is debilitated in the Lagna. The 6th lord is debilitated in the 3rd. The 10th lord is combust with the 8th lord. “Like my Guru would say “Just take the horoscope and keep it aside, don’t waste your time on a useless man”

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Basab,

"Sage Parshara, Mantreshwara, Robert Svoboda, Vimalananda, B.V. Raman, K.N. rao, Prash Trivedi, Dennis M harness, David Frawley, My own Guru, they are all no match for you. I surrender to you "Destiny is Pre destined Tag" I accept what you say is 100 percent correct in your case. I am sorry I even Thought that we can change our life with our "Free will " I bow down low and surrender to you.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

OK you win basab. Heil basab

ab bas.

I surrender.

Basab

The line, "Destiny is predestined" is from the Vedas. It's not my own line. For you it is win/ loss that is important. It's like a battle for you, it seems. It's not that way for me. I am not here to argue.
astroboy wrote:Basab,

"Sage Parshara, Mantreshwara, Robert Svoboda, Vimalananda, B.V. Raman, K.N. rao, Prash Trivedi, Dennis M harness, David Frawley, My own Guru, they are all no match for you. I surrender to you "Destiny is Pre destined Tag" I accept what you say is 100 percent correct in your case. I am sorry I even Thought that we can change our life with our "Free will " I bow down low and surrender to you.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

ok you have the last word.

Basab

It's not a ego battle for me that I have to have the last word. Maybe I am very strong in my belief, but I am not trying to change anyone's belief. You gave a logical explanation for your belief, and I didn't find it logical and asked you a question. If you don't have a logic to it, it is fine. But why should I go around searching a logic for something I don't believe in? And when I said that, you took it as a prestige issue and started saying that I was right, and I will have the last word. No one has the last word, except God. I am a puppet in the hands of destiny, so I never feel that I can have the last word about anything.
astroboy wrote:ok you have the last word.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Since I am not Qualified enough to answer some questions I am posting a link http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/da ... 031307.htm

And I want a few lines to quote from the article above,

When we set an intention we are coming near to its manifestation. It's the thought stage that precedes the physical stage of taking action, or what is called kriyamana karma. Together agama karma and kriyamana karma comprise our free will. We set an intention, and then we take action, or we make a plan and then we work the plan. The results of those thoughts and actions will modify our previous karma.

The above were written by Non other than Vaughn Paul Manley.

I rest my case.

How ever the last word belong's to Basab.I am slowly begining to understand his point. May be some day I will say "Destiny is Pre destined" Till then i will stick to what I have learnt from the people whose names I have mentioned above.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

:D well my dear , guess we posted at the same time. :)