Conquer Ego\Lack of Focus?

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor
Conquer Ego\Lack of Focus?

Post by sonali.shah » 13 Jun 2010

Dear All,

I've been blessed with a great family. My upbringing was great and although I came from a financially weak family, my parents ensured that all of my wants were fulfilled. I've been blessed with great friends as well. My education has been top-notch. I got married to the person I wanted to marry! My career has moved in fits and starts, has been pretty decent too and I make decent money. A few of you have also mentioned that my horoscope is pretty good :D , an icing on the cake :wink:

So then comes the question, why am I not happy? And I am unable to figure this out. I once read "Contentment eludes us only when we forget that god is around us". Guidance from a Guru would really help, unfortunately, I don't have one yet. I am unable to conquer my ego or my desires. I don't crave for money, but I need money. And in the face of all this, I forget HIM. I go to HIM only when I need something. I beg, I plead, I bargain, and when HE grants me what I need, I say a quick Thank You....I start riding the "All is Well" train until the next hiccup comes through and it is back to HIM again. I get hurt when I am insulted and I want vengeance. I pray to HIM everyday...yes, I do. But the mind is elsewhere. HE has been very kind to me.....every time I am in distress, HE bails me out. But I still can't focus on HIM.

It will help immensely if someone can only teach me to focus. That is all I need. I guess if I can focus on any given task, my mind would cease being restless. I realize that this won't be a quick solution and I might have to work several months...maybe years... to control the flow of thoughts.

Any suggestions on how to improve upon this is very welcome.

Regards,

SS
Last edited by sonali.shah on 22 Aug 2010, edited 2 times in total.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Re: Conquer Ego\Lack of Focus?

Post by astroboy » 13 Jun 2010

Good day Sonali,

whew, you really keep my mind ticking,

Look at the horoscope, From the lagna the 4th lord is fallen in the 6th, From the Moon lagna the 4th lord has a fallen Shukra along with the man himself. Lord Shani is debilitated in the Navamsha, where is the question of Peace Sonali ?????? Peace comes when you live in harmony with the laws of Karma and the concept of God. 30 years are down, got nowhere have we? Look at me giving you Gyaan, 37 years down, and I still haven't found what i'm looking for.

However there is a redeeming factor here because Chandra is in Punarvasu Nakshatra ruled by Guru./Punarvasu's diety is Aditi, the goddess of the Vedas, Punarvasu is thus related to Philosophy, religion,yoga and similar means of self understanding. But the moot point is why now? that's because it's the dasha of Budha, and Chandra is posited in Budha's house. Transit Lord Shani Casts a 10th glance on the Natal moon,Shani being the 9th lord, Some of the 9th house significations like devotion to divine beings has to manifest, correct ? so that's the spiritual trip, but ..........there is always a but isn't there :) , this frenzy will cool once Lord Shani moves out of Kanya. If it last's post 2011 nov then it's time you rethink the priorities of life, because Sonali, you can't talk spirituality over a glass of Champagne.......... know what I mean ?

Trust this helps,
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 13 Jun 2010

Hey AB!

Thanks again for replying.

No, I don't care whether I become spiritual or not. I believe in both...God and the concept of Karma. I know I'll reap what I sow. But..(yup, that but again) I am still not "there" where I can accept everything with equanimity and I do get derailed when "all is well". Again, I don't care whether I do or do not attain the state.

The goal is to not lose focus from HIM. Several people might say, that if I can't focus on Him, then probably I don't believe in Him. Now, I know that is not true.
Maybe I am not making much sense here. Maybe you nailed it when you said that one can't discuss spirituality over champagne. Maybe it is just the Shani transit through Kanya.

I guess I'll just keep reciting Aditya Hridayam daily. Can't let the mind be this restless...because unlike Arjuna, I have no Krishna by my side :)

Thanks again for taking time to reply. Best, SS.

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 13 Jun 2010

Good day Sonali,

you wrote, and I Quote,

The goal is to not lose focus from HIM.

It would have helped if he ocassionally jetted down here and reminded us who is boss. we have become like students in a class room when the teacher is out. who is to blame ? It's the man himself. I mean how long does it take for him to give us a peek preview of what he really is ? look at the audience he has, all 6.7 billion strong, and what does he do ? not to be seen nor heard.

reminds me of a track by Jason Mraaz from the album "Beautiful Mess- live on earth" (aptly titled if you ask me) the track is titled "live high"......... he sings "
Glory God, oh God is peeking through the blinds
And we all here standing naked
Taking guesses at the actual date and time
Oh my, justifying reasons why
Is an absolutely insane resolution to live by
so let's live high, and mighty,
livin it rightously but takin it easy
livin high.

who is to blame for the insanity of man and the lack of focus in mankind? it's him, The big man upstairs, how can you focus on him when you sometimes wonder if he is real or not ? we are creatures of our 5 senses, that's all we are, and when we cannot sense, things are categorized as nonsense :)

but I have hope, I feel we are not open enough to perceive him. I think we are dwarf's intellectually when we try to comprehend the greater plan. So till then, I toss like a boat on a stormy sea trying to get a grip and reach the shore.

till then, God save us,
Through hard work and spiritual practices, a person gets honor and dignity. The lazy one who puts in no efforts is like a fool who allows salt to be spilled on the wounds of his misfortunes. The idler depending only on fate, achieves nothing. - K.N.Rao ji

Basab

Post by Basab » 14 Jun 2010

Interesting discussion going on here. I feel, happiness is the biggest illusion and misery the biggest reality as far as materialistic people are concerned. As far as spiritual people are concerned, I don't know about them. About God, I am not searching Him as yet because my search for success is still on. ;)

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 14 Jun 2010

My two cents...I feel that till the time we are utterly miserable/disgusted with material day-to-day life , we are not going to turn our backs to this never ending cycle of happiness and sadness , and seek God.
I feel that seeking God forcibly would not work. Hasn't worked for me at least. God/Life tests us at every step. If faith is shaky , then it would crumble at the slightest challenge. So the key perhaps is to be so thoroughly fed-up that you would not dare to turn back to Maya :)

Cheers!
I am a student of this subject , and hence I might be wrong in my calculations. Kindly seek other opinions too , before coming to a conclusion.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 14 Jun 2010

Dear Sonali,

Please post your birth details.

There are two types of people who pray God.

One is who wants Bhautik Sukhas and wishes to Chant Stotras and Mantras to get rid of the materialistic problems. The faith starts with the Mantra and ends with it as well. This is not what is known as Bhakti. This kind of affection is materialistic and tamasic in nature and is prone to be fallable. The bliss achieved with such efforts is also fallable because since it has a beginning it has an end too. :) .. There is no harm in this as we are all children of God and even if you offer a molecule to him with love, he will return it with a bunch. But one should not expect Spiritual benefits with such efforts as these are different efforts in nature, for which one will be paid favourably accordingly.

The second type is a person who does bhakti irrespective of materialistic benefits. There is a niyam for such people and they do Nitya pooja. For e.g. Vaishnava Brahmins do Sandhyavandana without fail everyday either Mansik or physical in nature. This is their nitya upasana towards the lord and is independent of any fruits desired from such upasana. Such an approach comes on learning from Shastras as to why one must adhere to such a routine and what are the effects of this. They wake up during Brahma Muhurta specially to pray the Lord as it is the best time to earn punya. The objective here is to wash sins committed on a day to day basis and keep the soul and body healthy. This is essential to progress to the next step of achieving salvation. Salvation is getting freed from the prarabdha and thus getting free from the events of life and death. Post this one reaches Vaikuntha where there is only bliss and no unhappiness. There are hundreds of Suns like we see illuminating the Abode of Shri Vishnu and LaxmiDevi and souls like us are alwyas in the seva of the almighty there. This is the top most position desired by the human soul and thus gets it on the process achieved as described above. There are more details but those are beyond the scope of the discussion in one post. But the bottomline is minimize the sins, maximize the punya, nullify the rinhanubandhan and live per Shastras. This is what you have wanted above as to FOCUS ON HIM. For these efforts you will be blessed with a neverending jwala in your heart to be near him everyday everymoment. These efforts bring more fruits towards what you have asked for in your post. i.e. to Focus on him. Shri Hanuman is the greatest devotee of the Lord and one must try to emulate him with maximum possible efforts.

Now lets clear the thoughts about materialistic efforts too. It is not advisable for us human beings to relinquish everything and just sit and pray almighty 24 hours. NO thats not why we are here. Karma must be supported by Dharmic efforts too as its only action that is in our hands. The fructification occurs via adhering to Dharma only. :) So, it is not uncommon or adharma to think about sex. But to think and act on it not per shastras is a sin. So, for e.g. Having sex during day time results in loss of wealth. In early mornings and in the evenings results in Sin as well. Ratri is the time when to indulge in it. Rutukaal of women is the time to indulge in it, and not when she is Rajaswala. And there is more. If you read Shri Vishnu Purana, even the details of how one must sneeze are given. The bottom line is to not indulge in something that brings sin upfront. Unnatural sex and post marital sex is prohibited as well. So, if you act normally and have a healthy sexual life there is nothing to worry about as it is not a sin in normal sense.

Same applies to accumulation of Money. Shri Vishnu Purana states that one must always aim to earn money honestly and accumulate it. Because it is only through dhan that one can live and do daana, pooja etc. But money earned by unscruplous means always brings misery in the end.

This is just tip of the iceberg and if you try to follow disciplined approach towards life, you will on your own get drawn towards infallible tendency to do Nitya Sadhana. But for this you must know what is a sin and what is not. How is punya earned and what all activities should be performed to earn such punya. Once you start thinking in these lines then it is a good start towards the solution to the problems you have mentioned.

Hope I was able to help.

Regards
Sonu

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 15 Jun 2010

Dear Astrosonu,

Thanks for your reply. I've sent you my birth details . I guess I should have taken more time before penning down my thoughts because I guess it has not come out as clearly as I would have wanted. I meant that I only wanted to focus on HIM without distractions. I never meant or intend to relinquish my desires or comforts. All I wanted to say was that in the face of several distractions, I tend to forget HIS presence and fall back at his feet only when in need. This is something that I wanted to overcome. The issue here is more about having better control over the quantity and quality of thoughts.

Just wanted to respond to what you mentioned about punya and paapa. What is wrong in two people having consensual sex any time of the day? Why would God want to penalize someone when they are hurting no one by their acts? Also, not having sex during periods is more from a hygiene perspective than anything else. I really don't think that God laid such rules, they were probably inserted by our ancestors to accomplish their agendas and are being followed without being questioned.

Thanks again for a detailed, lucid response.

Regards,

SS

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 15 Jun 2010

Hi Astrosonuji,
Sorry if I am digressing from the point , but I would like to ask you something.
Since you mentioned about the right/wrong time for physical pleasures , as per the puranic point of view , I would like to know - is there any right or wrong when it comes to "thoughts" of physical pleasures ? If there is a right or wrong then why is it so?
I am interested in knowing the right or wrong from the "Natural laws" perspective , not the dogmatic religious perspective.

I have pondered over this time and again and found no satisfactory answer from my limited experience. Please could you shed some light on this.

Sonali ji,
My apologies for changing the topic, from what was the basic purpose of this thread . I hope you do not mind :)

Thanks and regards,
Spidey
I am a student of this subject , and hence I might be wrong in my calculations. Kindly seek other opinions too , before coming to a conclusion.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 15 Jun 2010

Dear Spidey,

Natural laws are man-made per human convenience. They are more so influenced by tamo and rajsik guna. Per modern theories, you can think about sex anytime anywhere anyhow. This does not inflict death on the native. Do you even at a minimal level think about modern apsaras, when you visit a temple ? You can have thoughts at any level and justify it for the gratification of mind. For such thing, it is even ok to think there is no GOD as you don't see with naked eyes and science has not proven it. So, the take is yours which way of life you want to undertake, Vedanga, which is Sanatan Dharma OR adhoc theories made by man for gratification of sensual pleasures.

Regarding terming "DOGMATIC" religious perspective, I would say when there is a birth in the family, we do naamakaran per religious rituals, marriage per religious rituals, death rites per religious rituals but when it comes to disciplining life we fail to accept and term it as dogmatic. We pay taxes per govt policy, walk on the left side of road per law. Can we call that dogmatic ? It is Nitya Karma that we need to instill discipline in our day to day life and contribute to the peace and progress of the nation. Then why is it that Religious discipline is dogmatic ?

This is a dualistic approach and is logically not correct. It basically stems from the indiscipline that our antaratma wants to indulge in under the influence of Kali. Once you fight this evil sheeth covering your antaratma, you will see the difference. Before it, I can only say, whatever you may learn, it will just reflect back under the pretext of modernization.

There is part 2 of this answer too. But that will make sense only if your mind has absorbed the thoughts above and not reflected them completely.

Regards
Sonu
spidey wrote:Hi Astrosonuji,
Sorry if I am digressing from the point , but I would like to ask you something.
Since you mentioned about the right/wrong time for physical pleasures , as per the puranic point of view , I would like to know - is there any right or wrong when it comes to "thoughts" of physical pleasures ? If there is a right or wrong then why is it so?
I am interested in knowing the right or wrong from the "Natural laws" perspective , not the dogmatic religious perspective.

I have pondered over this time and again and found no satisfactory answer from my limited experience. Please could you shed some light on this.

Sonali ji,
My apologies for changing the topic, from what was the basic purpose of this thread . I hope you do not mind :)

Thanks and regards,
Spidey

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 15 Jun 2010

Dear Astrosonuji,
Thank you as always for your reply.
Just a minor clarification though - when I said dogmatic , I meant this - I am not against any scriptures or any puranas. In fact I have my highest regards for them and hope to read them some day . However I do have my reservations about the ideals that Sanatan Dharma has inculcated and picked up along the way in the thousands of years. It is this mis-interpretation and mis-representation of scriptures that I term as dogmatic.

According to my point of view , leading life the satvik way , as per what has been advised by scriptures is absolutely correct. Doing the right thing , the right way , is what I term as natural law.
When I meant natural laws, I meant laws as per what the creator wanted us to be ; the way the Lord wanted us to behave. I did not mean it in a legal perspective.

I hope you got my point :D

Thanks once again for answering my query :)

Warm regards,
Spidey

Nitin21

Dear Sonali,

I have detailed about Stree dharma in one of the other threads in detail with proofs and examples.

Hygeine consciousness must be high at all times, and not just during periods. This is to protect your physical skeleton structure from getting into diseases. The logic behind not having sex during periods per Shastras is different. Our Body contains a Sukshma sharir that guides our linga deha(Outer Body). While we can apply soap and detol to cleanse physical structure, this sukshma deha has different requirements in order to remain pious and engulfed in God. This comes from not coming into contact with sinful activities and observing piousness throughout. Women during periods are releasing all their sins and the cleansing process of not only of the body but also of the soul. And as i said soul requirements are different than body. There is no reason for us to do Aditya Hridayam OR Shri Vishnu Sahasranaam only to get materialistic goals. These can be achieved merely by nitya seva of poor, Charity, Tulsi pooja and parental service. But reciting these stotras sanctifies the planetary amshas present in the body that have been covered with sheeths of either previous birth karma OR deeds of current birth.

It is ignorance to think that God did not lay such rules. You may read Shri Vishnu Purana and Shri Garuda Purana together to understand what I mean. Unless you are initiated into these, you may not feel energized to accept this with proof.

This is in supplement to my answer to Spidey above. So, please read the two together.

Regards
Sonu

sonali.shah wrote:Dear Astrosonu,

Just wanted to respond to what you mentioned about punya and paapa. What is wrong in two people having consensual sex any time of the day? Why would God want to penalize someone when they are hurting no one by their acts? Also, not having sex during periods is more from a hygiene perspective than anything else. I really don't think that God laid such rules, they were probably inserted by our ancestors to accomplish their agendas and are being followed without being questioned.

Thanks again for a detailed, lucid response.

Regards,

SS

Nitin21

Dear Spidey,

Yes, I am aware of your approach towards spirituality. And the questions are valid too. Regarding misinterpretations, I would say read Puranas. They are permitted for all. Just Read Shri Vishnu Purana and most of your doubts will be clear on Varna dharma and Shri Vishnu Avataaras. Once you start the path and make your belief steadfast, these will be cleared as well with the passage of time. :) And then we are always here to discuss.

Regards
Sonu
spidey wrote:Dear Astrosonuji,
Thank you as always for your reply.
Just a minor clarification though - when I said dogmatic , I meant this - I am not against any scriptures or any puranas. In fact I have my highest regards for them and hope to read them some day . However I do have my reservations about the ideals that Sanatan Dharma has inculcated and picked up along the way in the thousands of years. It is this mis-interpretation and mis-representation of scriptures that I term as dogmatic.

According to my point of view , leading life the satvik way , as per what has been advised by scriptures is absolutely correct. Doing the right thing , the right way , is what I term as natural law.
When I meant natural laws, I meant laws as per what the creator wanted us to be ; the way the Lord wanted us to behave. I did not mean it in a legal perspective.

I hope you got my point :D

Thanks once again for answering my query :)

Warm regards,
Spidey

Nitin21

Dear Spidey,

I think you are ready for Part 2 now. :) .

Veerya means Ojas. It is this Ojas that is the driving force of achieving emancipation. Why is it that all the Rishi Munis adopt Brahmacharya to do Sadhana. ? It is not because Sex is a crime per Shastras, But because persistence of Veerya in the body activates the various naadis and chakras in the body that are needed for emancipation. Right from the Spine through Sahasraraar i.e. 12 inches above head that a soul leaves the human body thus qualifying for moksha. The initial part is Spine and persistence of Ojas makes the veerya(Ojas) travel upwards instead of downwards release through sadhana. Crossing various chakras when it reaches the Sahasraar is the final state of Samadhi and the soul leaving from such place is eligible for Moksha and reaches Vaikuntha. This is the reason why Devatas would send apsaras to disturb Rishis who were threat to their posts. Would'nt it make sense to disturb them via gigantic elephants, fire, spurious water flow etc..? why apsaras ? Because they want the rishis to release the Ojas and break their Sadhana which they have been doing since many years to reach the enviable posts of Indraloka etc.

Practically speaking, try controlling your sensual tendencies for a bigger interval than what you have currently and see the difference in results in your day to day life.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sonu

astroboy
Donor
Donor

Post by astroboy » 15 Jun 2010

Good day to you all,

I am beginning to like the way this post is turning out, your Last post was excellent Astrosonu ji, I would not have been able to convey all that like you did. Absolutely super and to the point. I hope this discussion continue's as we are all adults capable of handling this subject.

Best regards,

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 16 Jun 2010

Dear Astrosonuji,
A fabulous post , as always :D

Thanks and warm regards,
Spidey

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 16 Jun 2010

Dear Astrosonu,

I'll also steal your advice on this one.

Regards,

SS

astrosonu wrote:Dear Spidey,

Veerya means Ojas. It is this Ojas that is the driving force of achieving emancipation. Why is it that all the Rishi Munis adopt Brahmacharya to do Sadhana. ? It is not because Sex is a crime per Shastras, But because persistence of Veerya in the body activates the various naadis and chakras in the body that are needed for emancipation. Right from the Spine through Sahasraraar i.e. 12 inches above head that a soul leaves the human body thus qualifying for moksha. The initial part is Spine and persistence of Ojas makes the veerya(Ojas) travel upwards instead of downwards release through sadhana. Crossing various chakras when it reaches the Sahasraar is the final state of Samadhi and the soul leaving from such place is eligible for Moksha and reaches Vaikuntha. This is the reason why Devatas would send apsaras to disturb Rishis who were threat to their posts. Would'nt it make sense to disturb them via gigantic elephants, fire, spurious water flow etc..? why apsaras ? Because they want the rishis to release the Ojas and break their Sadhana which they have been doing since many years to reach the enviable posts of Indraloka etc.

Practically speaking, try controlling your sensual tendencies for a bigger interval than what you have currently and see the difference in results in your day to day life.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sonu

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 16 Jun 2010

Dear Sonali,

You may not be able to utilize the advice below because, the concept of Veerya as described in my post is applicable to men only. Women automatically gain moksha when husband does. Women automatically aquire half the gains of punya by husband and they do not share his misdeeds effects. For women dharma is different and praying methods etc are different. There is stree jataka for female horoscopy too.

You may want to refer this link http://lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3 ... f=1&t=5415 for more details.

Regards
Sonu

sonali.shah wrote:Dear Astrosonu,

I'll also steal your advice on this one.

Regards,

SS

astrosonu wrote:Dear Spidey,

Hope this helps.

Regards
Sonu