How to read viShNu sahasranAma stotram

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
imcool
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User
How to read viShNu sahasranAma stotram

Post by imcool » 24 Jan 2019

I have a confusion, please help me

where to start reading viShNu sahasranAma stotram from?

1 Do i have to start reading from following Shloka?

Shuklam baradharam Vishnum shashivarnam chaturbhujam |
Prasanna vadanam dhyayet sarva vighnopa-shantaye ||

OR

2. DO i have to start reading from Following shloka?

Om vishvam vishnu rvashatkaro bhoota-
bhavya bhavat-prabhuh | Bhoota-krut bhoota-bhrud-bhavo bhootatma bhoota-bhavanah.||

Please help me, I am confused.

Thank you very much for looking at this post.

nalinimohan

Re: How to read viShNu sahasranAma stotram

Post by nalinimohan » 27 Jan 2019

You have to start fromShuklambaradam only and end at Vanamali Gadi Sanghi chakri cha nandaki srmanaryano vishnur vasudeva abhu rakshatu. Please read it attentively. I do it almost every day in the evening after taking bath. You can alos read it in themorninig. Try to understand many meanings and then read. Check out in youtube for any videos in your language
THis video by Vishnu Sahasranamam - Brahmasri Shanmukha Sarma - NJ 2014-06-08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBHs9lZ9bg. But this in Telugu and I do not have any translation

imcool
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by imcool » 30 Jan 2019

thank you very much for replying but why should we read from "Shuklambaradam " why we cant start directly with 1st name?
thank you

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tejomaya » 03 Feb 2019

The Vishnu sahasranama would be incomplete & ineffective without the sections before and after the names themselves. This is the same for many other traditional prayers as well.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 03 Feb 2019

You have to start from Shuklambaradam only and end at Kayena vacha ------narayanayeti samarpayami and not Vanamali Gadi Sanghi chakri cha nandaki srmanaryano vishnur vasudeva abhu rakshatu since the phalasruti starts after Vanamali gadi. In fact, the one
Shri Rama Rama Rameti, Rame Rame Manorame;
Sahasrenama tattulyam, Rama Nama Varanane
comes later which has the meaning as given below:
By meditating on "Rama Rama Rama", my Mind gets absorbed in the Divine Consciousness of Rama, which is Transcendental, The Name of Rama is as Great as the Thousand Names of God (Vishnu Sahasranama-stotra, Uttara-khanda, Padma Purana 72.335).
So this sloka when chanted itself is considered as equal to reciting whole of Vishnu Sahasranamam.