lost in translation !!

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
lilly2005
Contributor
Contributor
lost in translation !!

Post by lilly2005 » 12 Sep 2012

Last edited by lilly2005 on 17 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: lost in translation !!

Post by kandhan » 12 Sep 2012

Hi Lilly

i know exactly about that feeling. :D
lilly2005 wrote: Have we just began to scratch the surface and made our assumptions too quickly..

And to add to the confusion is the fight over whose interpretation is correct. And everything is lost in translation twice over. i guess one has to go by which interpretation appeals to your heart.
lilly2005 wrote:and we also see the mighty "bull" in almost every Shiva Temple, guarding the temple gates.. Out of all the creatures he could have picked what made these bulls so special to our Lord..? Lilly
Here is what i came across: the bull is known for its obduracy. And in Shiva temples you will notice that it is always focussed on the lord . The mind should be focussed on him in this way.
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

lilly2005
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Khandan,

Thanks for the response and sharing!! Yes, I suppose it does make sense since the "bull" is so earthy and dense, know to be fixed in their purpose, and single mindedly puruse something, and will fight till the very end to defend someone. As fickel as the "moon" the mind is; it does make perfect sense to get exalted in a grounded, down to earth fixed sign.. I would have thought the Leo the Lion to be a good choice as these Cat types are fierce and loyal; but clever and cunning at the core. Bholenath prefers the innocent ones first.

Lilly

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by basab14 » 12 Sep 2012

I feel, we don't like what is offered to us in a straightforward way. It doesn't appeal to us, so we complicate it, and then, try to solve the complication. We have to make use of our brains after all, and if things come to us easily, we don't get the chance to use it, which is not something we like. So we create this complication, and then, solve it, getting pleasure in that. That's my opinion about it.
Last edited by basab14 on 12 Sep 2012, edited 3 times in total.
"Go thou and follow Him, who was born and gave His life for others five hundred times before He attained the vision of the Buddha!" -- Swami Vivekananda

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

IMO lion is a bad choice for a bhaktha which Nandi represents. Lion, being the king of forest, is all about being egoistic. :D . The first thing a Leo will do is find out the chinks in Shiva's characters.

jolli
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by jolli » 12 Sep 2012

Nice Thoughts

I have lill different take

(1) I m in doubt it being a bull though never noticed till date. Next time will try to take a look.But i thought is a cow, what we call as kamdhenu. She can produce anything. I may be wrong.

(2) our sages, enlightened souls. Why would a informed, aware and enlightened soul encrypt knowledge. why not give it in simple formart for all to understand. Surely its not dangerous. Knowledge is not a wepon or destructive thing!

Then why to use round about words, metaphors etc ?? There could be two reasons :-

(a) People were not literate in those days. So what is the best way to teach something to a illiterate person. Use symbols, shapes, animals ....... isnt it. And the Pandit will recite the scriptures, other people will listen. They will interpret in their own way. Pandit will not elaborate or interpret. He will simple do oration.

(b) The knowledge is meant for common folks. The will not be assimilate or understand it. They cannot productively use it. Hence make is such that, only person who is able to de-crypt is able to use it. Or otherway round. One who can use it will only able to de-crypt it. Hence it is available to all. But only deserving or choosen people will be able to use it.

A third scenerio comes to my mind. In anciant days, knowledge was used to be transfered from Guru to desiciple by oral method. No printed matter was available. That probably happened few 1000's years down the line. Hence by the time it came into printing, the author was the culprit. Either he did not get it fully from his guru, or in all probablity he was business minded and wanted to preserve knowledge for some gains.

Here was conflict. Knowledge and to gain from it? lill bit conflict. Hence the corruption of knowledge.

Just my take.....any comments are welcome

jolli
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by jolli » 12 Sep 2012

I agree with yellow jee,

looks like highly probable scenerio.....

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by basab14 » 12 Sep 2012

Thanks, Jolli for agreeing with me. If the saints didn't want people to know about the truth of life, which we find in the scriptures, then they would not have taken the trouble of sharing them with us. As we are of Kali yuga breed, we can't think straight, ever, and we don't trust anyone, either. The saints were guileless, unlike us, so they didn't think the way we do now. They shared the truth with all, so everyone could be benefited by it. That's my take on it.
jolli wrote:I agree with yellow jee,

looks like highly probable scenerio.....
"Go thou and follow Him, who was born and gave His life for others five hundred times before He attained the vision of the Buddha!" -- Swami Vivekananda

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Lilly

Here is another hidden symbolism which was brought out by Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati:

Meenakshi is literally translated as 'eyes resembling that of fish'. However, as per Sri Chandrasekharendra, when u look at the eyes of fish, it never blinks, ever aware of its surrounding. Such should be the focus of mind towards God. :)

lilly2005
Contributor
Contributor

kandhan wrote:Lilly

Here is another hidden symbolism which was brought out by Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati:

Meenakshi is literally translated as 'eyes resembling that of fish'. However, as per Sri Chandrasekharendra, when u look at the eyes of fish, it never blinks, ever aware of its surrounding. Such should be the focus of mind towards God. :)
That's intresting that you brought it up! I am thinking of vishnu's matsya awatar..Lots of hidden meaning and symbol in Lord Vishnu/ Narayana.. there is a temple in south india dedicated to Meenakshi..forget which city, but it's a popular tourist destination..

white
Contributor
Contributor

Post by white » 13 Sep 2012

nice topic...vey inetersting ...but the more you try to dig in or decipher or understand it the more complicated it gets i feel...its like a maze ,and well we are IN the maze so we cant really see the straight way out ,if only we had a birds view towards this maze then we would know everything to its exact and true meaning ,but then again it would not be soo interesting afterall if everything was very staright forward and simple to understand...yes its all about the focus !

we dont realise but we many a times get trapped in the intellect and keep wondering trying to understand things for what they really/truly are , trying to KNOW everything (which is itself a road block to get closer to HIM), which satisfies our mind/ego/intellect making us feel empowered etc but our soul still remains unsatisfied in its inner depths longing for tranquility which the intellect cannot satisfy...
"All that we are, is a result of what we have thought"--Gautum Buddha

lilly2005
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lilly2005 » 13 Sep 2012

Last edited by lilly2005 on 19 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 13 Sep 2012

Those exalted sages weren't idiots, they were the most brilliant people ever to walk on this planet. Their language was not cryptic to those who understood it. It's only cryptic when our knowledge becomes incomplete, this applies to any subject of study. You can't understand quantum mechanics without understanding the atomic theory and you can't understand atomic theory without the basics of elemantary science- you have to go step by step, inch by inch collecting the pieces of the puzzle. The same applies to spritual science as well, one day you just come across this term Vedic astrology without understanding the vedas, now what does that tell you? It tells you that your knowledge is incomplete and therefore it looks like a puzzle.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

KET

Post by KET » 13 Sep 2012

elipsis wrote:Those exalted sages weren't idiots, they were the most brilliant people ever to walk on this planet. Their language was not cryptic to those who understood it. It's only cryptic when our knowledge becomes incomplete, this applies to any subject of study. You can't understand quantum mechanics without understanding the atomic theory and you can't understand atomic theory without the basics of elemantary science- you have to go step by step, inch by inch collecting the pieces of the puzzle. The same applies to spritual science as well, one day you just come across this term Vedic astrology without understanding the vedas, now what does that tell you? It tells you that your knowledge is incomplete and therefore it looks like a puzzle.

Elipsis... Appreciated... Good... That's what happens, in school days, students used to curse Mathematics teacher, but the problem is student doesn't understand basic fundamental maths and start cursing the teacher and Maths. For them Maths is Puzzle..

Vedic Astrology is connected with Vedas and Puranas. If people are not aware of Puranas/vedas, than the understanding of divine and spiritualism goes for a toss.

KET

Post by KET » 13 Sep 2012

lilly2005 wrote:

That's intresting that you brought it up! I am thinking of vishnu's matsya awatar..Lots of hidden meaning and symbol in Lord Vishnu/ Narayana.. there is a temple in south india dedicated to Meenakshi..forget which city, but it's a popular tourist destination..
Hope you have got back now the city and the temple's name.

I am sure, you are aware about the story(Puranas) of God and Goddess marriage took place in this city i.e. Lord Shiva ( Sundar) and Goddess Parvati( Meenakshi)

white
Contributor
Contributor

Lilly ji ,
Yes totally ,i understand ur concerns .

Hi Elipsis ji ,

I m pretty sure no one on the forum thinks that the sages were idiots , i think lilly ji is just trying to seek answers for numerous questions that must be coming to lilly ji ' s mind.
Plus i agree with ur logic of limited knowledge but then again knowledge cannot be fully conquered as well ,its infinite . No one can say that they have mastered a subject for knowledge is as vast as this universe n it forever keeps growing n expanding.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 13 Sep 2012

white wrote:Lilly ji ,
Yes totally ,i understand ur concerns .

Hi Elipsis ji ,

I m pretty sure no one on the forum thinks that the sages were idiots
Dear white,

Well, I'd like to believe that's true. But reality outside this forum is quite different. I only meant that if we study something we have to do it sincerely just like we take up any other science. If we take Vedas or astrology as some light Monday evening entertainment that serves as a therapy then I'm afraid we are not going to find answers to those burning questions, we can only speculate on experience or go over examples of historical evidences.

Best,
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

white
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Elipsis ji ,

I agree with you on this ... It requires alot of dedication n determination. And patience too.

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 13 Sep 2012

Lilly

This is just the initial phase in your learning process as with pursuit of knowledge in any other field. I for one, do not doubt your sincerity. in fact, your present confusion stems from your intense desire to learn and this desire will get you through. As you keep going back to the basics and also diversifiying your reading, the clarity will emerge. Beware of any one who claims to know this vidya 100% or that they have decoded it.

lilly2005
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lilly2005 » 13 Sep 2012

This is just the initial phase in your learning process as with pursuit of knowledge in any other field. I for one, do not doubt your sincerity. in fact, your present confusion stems from your intense desire to learn and this desire will get you through. As you keep going back to the basics and also diversifiying your reading, the clarity will emerge. Beware of any one who claims to know this vidya 100% or that they have decoded it.
Thanks Kandhan, for your encouraging words! That's the reason I joined this forum to discuss and learn from other learned & enlighted souls.

jolli
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by jolli » 13 Sep 2012

Kandan Jee

Very good insight....really appreciate.

Its not easy to articulate other persons predication so beautifully. I really identify with what you wrote. I guess this is called intution/physic .... Ketu effect!