Spirituality Is A Mental Disease

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Re: Spirituality Is A Mental Disease

Post by R V RAMANAN » 21 Jun 2011

Ok Chaks, Agreed. What about Tambura or Shruthi potti?? Now do I know carnatic or not! :D :D :D

Regards,
RAMANAN

chaks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by chaks » 21 Jun 2011

Ok I surrender to the master :D . You and Dev ji should give a duet concert with no songs in praise/insult of God :D

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Very easy Chaks. But only in mute mode. U heard my voice, right! Most of the boons I have got in my life are due to my singing. God comes rushing down to answer my prayers so that I dont sing further :D :D .

But I dont know about Dev.

Regards,
RAMANAN

chaks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by chaks » 21 Jun 2011

Dev ji is a professional singer. Maybe it's not right to pair you with him. Try Kandhan or Sunny and see how the crowds disappear :D

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Chaks,

We will try that combination when there are riots or major strikes in our area. :D :D :D

Regards,
RAMANAN

Post by 123 » 21 Jun 2011

I was watching a video of the proceedings of the pujas conducted in Tirupati, I think it is called Srivari Sevulu. At a particular time, they praise Venkateshwara with names of melakartha ragas and some janya ragas also.

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 21 Jun 2011

Sir

thanks for highlighting this boon-getting trick. just realized how much potential i have in this area.
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 21 Jun 2011

We will try that combination when there are riots or major strikes in our area.
But the police should not mistake you and your associates to be involved in the riot/ Strike and arrest u by :D mistake. :D
Dev

digitsoftime

Post by digitsoftime » 22 Jun 2011

chaks wrote: Try Kandhan or Sunny and see how the crowds disappear
Sir, I sing like Seshagopalan, in mute mode! :)
I actually got an award for last year's Maargazhi Utsavam (since I didn't participate in it, it was a success)
R V RAMANAN wrote:What about Tambura or Shruthi potti??
shruti box is mainstream carnatic sir. Like the person instigating the murder is to blame as much as the murderer :mrgreen:
Sir you could have easily won the argument with morsing!
Dev wrote:But the police should not mistake you and your associates to be involved in the riot/ Strike and arrest u by mistake
haha..The strike can't get worse than my song Dev ji. Once there was a cat which used to come to our home exactly at 3 in the afternoon when the milk is boiled. We called it 'mani' since it used to come on time :D . I sang a song in Dwijavanti to it. It never came back again.

best regards,
Sunny

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 22 Jun 2011

Sunny

maybe you sounded like its father. :)

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 22 Jun 2011

This whole page has gone without tamil phrases. This is what i dont like. Once I move away to other routine, students just stop learning. :(

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

sorry for the digression Sonuji. we were exploring 'cat'ese under Sunny's guidance.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 22 Jun 2011

Sunny,

You must have heard Akhilandeshwari sung by MS and with her true devotion and bhava, one cannot enjoy anyone else singing(only for this song since this raga is totally bhava dominated). So the cat must have been shrude and would have known that :D since she is your cat :D .

Dev

Nitin21

Dear Devji,

Now you are in the right company. :) Be here and interact with the likes of kandhanji, sunnyji, ramanan sir and other good people. You will feel good and exchange of knowledge will be at a much higher level. There is no scope for hurt here owing to maturity of like minded friends. I feel you were playing in the mud and hence got some of it on you in the other threads. :)

Regards
Sonu

digitsoftime

Post by digitsoftime » 22 Jun 2011

Dev ji,
As Hanuman comes to listen Rama's praise, so probably Dikshitar might have come in the form of the cat.. and apparently went dissatisfied.
I just listened to MS's rendition of Akhilandeshwari. I have only listened to other versions. As you mentioned this had obviously more emotion than Seshagopalan's version which I like. But the recording was poor in musicindiaonline.
I like Lalgudi's violin version.

Sonuji,
This is for you. I recollect a stanza from Kamban's Ramanaya, where after Vishwamitra convinces Rama to kill Thatakai, He decides to shoot His arrow. The song comes at this instant.

Sol okkum kadiya vaega sudu saram - kariya semmal
Al okkum nirathilaal mel viduthalum Vaira Kunra
Kal Okkum nenjil thangaathu appuram kazhandru kallap
ppullar ku nallor sonna porul ena poyitrrandre

The song is beautifully poetic.
'Rama's arrow leaves his hand. Just like a word that leaves the mouth would instantly fall on others' ears, so would the arrow strike the target the moment it leaves the bow. The arrow strikes her dark skinned bosom where it doesn't stay (due to the speed), it goes far beyond. It goes beyond at a speed at which a good advice would leave a bad man the moment it is given'
The arrow starts like a word and leaves like an advice. :D

I am still trying to learn you see. :mrgreen:

sincerely,
Sunny
Last edited by digitsoftime on 22 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Dear Devji,

Now you are in the right company. Be here and interact with the likes of kandhanji, sunnyji, ramanan sir and other good people. You will feel good and exchange of knowledge will be at a much higher level. There is no scope for hurt here owing to maturity of like minded friends. I feel you were playing in the mud and hence got some of it on you in the other threads.

Regards
Sonu

Dear Sonu:
Yes I totally agree with you. I have always been interacting with all those above. I made a mistake of responding to other group as well and I will be careful henceforth.
Thank you.

Dev

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

astrosonu wrote:Dear Devji,

Now you are in the right company. :) Be here and interact with the likes of kandhanji, sunnyji, ramanan sir and other good people. You will feel good and exchange of knowledge will be at a much higher level. There is no scope for hurt here owing to maturity of like minded friends. I feel you were playing in the mud and hence got some of it on you in the other threads. :) Regards Sonu

Sonuji, FYI there is a curfew on jokes in the forum after 9 pm . :D
Last edited by kandhan on 22 Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.

chaks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by chaks » 22 Jun 2011

Sunny Pulavare, nandru nandru. Our Tamil Master will be very proud of you :D .

Nitin21

kandhan wrote:
astrosonu wrote:Dear Devji,

Now you are in the right company. :) Be here and interact with the likes of kandhanji, sunnyji, ramanan sir and other good people. You will feel good and exchange of knowledge will be at a much higher level. There is no scope for hurt here owing to maturity of like minded friends. I feel you were playing in the mud and hence got some of it on you in the other threads. :) Regards Sonu

Sonuji, FYI there is a curfew on jokes in the forum after 9 pm . :D
Kandhanji - Jokes apart, the quest for vedic learning coupled with HUMILITY is itself the higher level of knowledge seeking and exchange. :)

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sunny:

MS has lots and lots of bhava which is required in the raga dwijavanti. So it suits her so well. Lalgudi also plays with lots and lots of bhava.
TNS is a genius and he is most respected artist for his knowledge. Lalgudi too is a genius. Both have composed lot of kritis, varnams and tillanas.
As you know music includes raga alapana, song, swara, neraval, vrittam and other forms like tillana, varnam, bhajan etc. Raga, swara, vrittam, pallavi etc involve lot of imagination and TNS is very great in this.

I cant see Dikshitar coming in the form of cat to just run away. He must have come only to listen to you and you must have chased her out unknowingly :D .
So dont send the cat away in future.
That is a nice stanza.

Dev

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sunny:

Are u still continuing the Dwijavanthi song? Where are u? Cats are not that satvik and dwijavanthi may not suit them. Try Kalyani, Latangi, simhendramadhyamam or shanmukhapriya which are all pratimadhyamam based ragas. They may like and may not leave u then :D .

Dev

digitsoftime

Post by digitsoftime » 23 Jun 2011

Dev ji,

Thanks for the reply.
First I have to find a cat now. Since they are are not Satvik, they may not appreciate the nuances of either Suddhamadhyamams or Pratimadhyamams. I should go for some janya ragams preferably ending with a Nishaadham like a cats mew :mrgreen:
And sir, when you said Shanmukhapriya I just remembered a composition from Lalgudi that I listened to some time ago. Its a long piece and a mix of Shanmukhapriya, Sama and Ananda Bhairavi. A 30 min long piece. It was absolute genius work. Have you heard it? Those are he pieces that keep me going.
I also listened to Akhilandeshwari of TNS yesterday. It was somehow different from the previous version I know and much interesting. He touches the ragam on places it is not usually touched thereby exposing it in great beauty. As you rightly said, he is master of singing swaras.

very sincerely,
Sunny

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 23 Jun 2011

Sunny:
There are so many cats in and around Chennai. Are u based in Chennai?
What I said was all navarasas and all kinds of emotions can be brought about by different ragas. Though overall it is peaceful, still u must be knowing that natai, gambhira natai, darbar, atana like ragas bring in some rajasik emotions when sung.
Generally pratimadhyamam based ragas have more gambhiryam.
Janyas like amritavarshini, hamsanadam, hamsanandi, sunadavinodini also with pratimadhyamam have gambhiram inherent in them.

You mean ragamalika? I must have heard. It must be a vrittam or ragamalika or what?
He is a genius I told u. In violin he is the master, and in vocal TNS. Not only swara, even raga which needs imagination, his phrases or alapana touch upon some swara combinations which are unimaginable.
Subhapantuvarali is a difficult(relatively) raga due to difference in the frequencies of sadharana gandharam and prati madhyamam and the way he has rendered that is unimaginable. I heard it in a mridangist's house and got it taped in a CD. I want to hear it again within a week, I have to search for it.
Of course swara, no one can sing like him. His imagination and also rythmic control are excellent and unparellel.

TRS is also a genius, so is Ravikiran. You must hear some of the ragam tanam pallavi of Seshagopalan, TRS
You will forget yourself and all the worries(if at all u have them).

Dev

digitsoftime

Post by digitsoftime » 23 Jun 2011

I live in Germany Dev ji. I am doing a PhD here. So I don't have access to much music, only what I find here and there in the internet.
Do you have this Subapanthuvarali of TNS? I haven't listened to much of TRS. I will look for some today.
That Lalgudi piece was not exactly a ragamalika, but it had pallavi, anupallavi and charanam and all the three divisions had the Shanmukhapriya, sama and Anandha Bhairavi in equal ratios, it was a bit different. I am not knowledgable enough to describe it. I don't sing Dev ji, I only listen to carnatic.

sincerely,
Sunny

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 23 Jun 2011

Sunny:

Danke shone. Ich habe da gearbitat, forschung gemakht.
I did my post doctoral research at Damstadt and was there for 2 years, 4 months was at Mannheim.

Yes, I have the Subapantuvarali but I have to search. I will do it but how can I send u?
TRS is highly talented genius too. Look in sangeethapriya.org.

But then if u have all three, then it has to be ragamalika or vrittam. Ragamalika is a song but vrittam is sung as per imagination. So I do think it should have been ragamalika since here too raga can be repeated again in a sequence or even otherwise.
For eg in arabhimanam, there are 12 ragas. in 3 parts, first 4 ragas, then in reverse 4th to first swaras and similarly with the second and 3rd part.
Similarly in Bhavayami, 7 ragas, swaras from 7th to 1st in a reverse fashion.
Ich mochte deine Musik Lehrer bekommen.
Enjoy your stay. Are u settling or u have family in chennai?
How much progress u have made in research and what is your field. Good luck in research. I did in chemistry.

Dev