Spirituality Is A Mental Disease

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
sanjayk1265
Contributor
Contributor
Spirituality Is A Mental Disease

Post by sanjayk1265 » 05 May 2011

Dear Friends
Spirituality is a mental disease this I read somewhere but I noticed it at this forum.it is law of nature to eat to drink to enjoy ,if some one suppress it this may be volcano.Here a lot of forumer are claiming they are great spiritual & can convince others to accept their view that is pure ego.Spirituality can be talked at coffee table but it is not natural.We born with all senses but not spirituality. Hence no spirituality = no ego = easy going person = good person.
Cheers,
Sanjay kumar

If you can not ignore an insult laugh at it, if you can not laugh at it you probably deserved it.

JupiterLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Spirituality Is A Mental Disease

Post by JupiterLight » 05 May 2011

In my view :roll:

Spirituality, as in being an extremist is a mental disease . YES

However, Spirituality as in "QUEST FOR TRUTH" is NOT

Last edited by JupiterLight on 06 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.
❀Do not covet others wealth. Every Karma Boomerangs❀
The vidya of Jyotisha is all about looking for patterns
Please note I am only a STUDENT of Astrology !

Talib
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Talib » 05 May 2011

sanjayk1265 wrote:Dear Friends
Spirituality is a mental disease this I read somewhere but I noticed it at this forum.it is law of nature to eat to drink to enjoy ,if some one suppress it this may be volcano.Here a lot of forumer are claiming they are great spiritual & can convince others to accept their view that is pure ego.Spirituality can be talked at coffee table but it is not natural.We born with all senses but not spirituality. Hence no spirituality = no ego = easy going person = good person.
Cheers,
Sanjay kumar
Sanjay Bhai,

I am partially agree with u, now lets consider no one here as "spiritual". atleast, i didnt find a single person in this forum who is claiming to be spiritual. yes they might have an urge to know the "truth", someone may be close to it and someone may yet have to start.You must be agree that every individual is unique, just like our finger prints none of us has a similar life. we all are a complete package in ourselves, arn't we . we are here to share our life, our experiences. i have my own point of view towards life, u have ur own. none of us wld try to convince other's to accept their view. Moreover, no one is a kid. all what we are doing is "sharing". Now, considering your views abt "spirituaity", y u think spirituality is supression? it may be for you, but cld be different for other's. we all have our own way of looking at things isn't it?.

Now let me share my point of view on spirituality and spiritual souls and remember u r free to agree or disagree. u can also read it having a cup of coffee in ur hand. 8) . hope you read it keeping an open mind.

In my quest,(goose chase is still on ) i met three type of people who i consider to be spiritual.there is no number 1 in them, but i know i have to follow one of them for my growth.

First is, BLESSED SOULS who believe in G S D and total surrender towards almighty, G S D is "Guru", "Shastra" and "Daas". they are very strict and discplined and strictly follow shastra, have different levels of Guru's, accept daasa pramapara. daasa here means service of god, "daasa, daasa, anudaasa",they are pure by heart, divine, highly knowlegable, If we meet one of this blessed soul our whole life can change, even eye contact wd them can wash a lot of negativity in us. rare are lucky to come in their contact and recieve blessings from them. some of them dont follow "karam kaanda" but G S D is common. these people are full of love towards almighty. "pure love"

Second in the category are those who believe in "No Fear No Guilt" or "No craving No Aversion", this concept is based on the logic which is quiet scientific, according to them our body is not hard substance but it is made of waves(right scientific words are not coming in mind), and the cells in it changes after every 45 days, that means old cell dies and new cells generate keeping the quality or disquality of the old cells. these cells totally lives and get their feed from our expression's, eg say, we have an expression of "hate" this expression will pass on to next cell after 45 days probably with a chain reaction, depending on how much hate OR PARTICULA NEGATIVE expression we r generating. u can see people around you who have habit of nagging,also we can understand this why people have some particula habit,they have no control on themselves they simply become slaves of these chain reaction of cells. hence these guru's like working on the basic level by cleanising the garbage and stopping this chain reaction. Meditation (Dhyan) is the tool they use for cleanising process. It is very difficult to cross this basic level coz the most important thing in this is "unbiased mind" , high chances that people will start using "no fear no guilt" for their own convinience . some of these Guru's also open to law of nature of "right"celeberation and "right" enjoyment but with this they also teach us "love" "compassion" etc . simple reason which i feel is they want us to generate more and more cells of these qualities which will help in cleaninsing the garbage and v can b happy and positive from inside, and "only a happy soul can progress" . It is right to understand what is Law of nature but with that we should also be capable to understand what is against law of nature. condemning and misusing anything which belongs to this nature is against it.

Most of us(youth) would love this concept but beleive me it is very hard to have "unbiased mind". but once we condition our mind wd positivity we wld make us capable of understanding these guru's who most of the time get misunderstood.As said by "osho", "buddha is always misunderstood".

Third Category is those who beleive in " jo hai vo dikhta nahi, jo dikhta hai vo hai nahi. they live in multi dimensional world and understand it very well, they can see the reality of "milk" with their naked eyes, dont need a microscope, to see stars they dont need a telescope . what to say abt these people they are mysterious and rare human being can understand them. they are the best to tell you abt this cosmic joke, one should be very carefull choosing this path.

now, majority of us who don't come in any category are those who are living this life as a machine, like a robot....nothing wrong, they are simply exhausting their good and bad karma's.

I like enjoying,celeberating, adventure's, travelling, passion for bikes, have many dreams to fulfill, have only one bad habit of smoking which i m controlling and quit.but with all this, i also have this urge to understand cosmic joke, astrology, reason of sorrows, pain, karma, rhinanubandhan etc.... i simply blame my cells(samskaras) for this .

Mental disease..... enjoying it.

Love
Dance of the Divine is "Thoughtless"

dreamsunlimited

Post by dreamsunlimited » 05 May 2011

Last edited by dreamsunlimited on 06 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 06 May 2011

I dont think anyone can claim to be really spiritual. Really spiritual people dont crave for recognition at all. At the most,we may think that it is the or atleast one of the right paths and so may be trying to travel towards it. Different people of course may be at different levels of spirituality and those who write more may have read more and may be in a higher plane in spirituality.
However, the difference between pure spirituality and others is we atleast the most have not chosen or will not choose spiritual path exclusively. We may have our profession, side profession, earnings, hobbies etc and so we may be learning spirituality along with all these. So that is different from becoming exclusively spiritual like Ramanar, Vivekananda etc.
So if our path is clear and we understand where we stand, spirituality will not become a mental disease.It could be so only for those who try to cheat others in the name of spirituality or those who think they have become spiritual gurus and then pick of vices and try to do both. They make a fool of themselves.
Dev

Talib
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Talib » 06 May 2011

Dev Ji,

Totally agree wd u, as i said no life is similar. That urge is enough.

Love

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 06 May 2011

Yes, Talib you are right. Each life is different. Atleast we have the urge and we can atleast be happy initially and it may take us to different levels as the time progresses and as per our karmas.

Dev

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 06 May 2011

Talib ji,
Loved this line -
i also have this urge to understand cosmic joke
;)
I feel the same.
Warm regards,
Spidey
I am a student of this subject , and hence I might be wrong in my calculations. Kindly seek other opinions too , before coming to a conclusion.

sanjayk1265
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanjayk1265 » 06 May 2011

Dear Friends,
Very recently a topic on spirituality went to 71 pages only to fell down with disgrace by the spiritual people .It is very evident lot of spiritual gurus & swamis are felling down disgracefully around us at some time in their lives. Still lot of people are going in their traps. History of these swamis is telling that they are unpredictable .These swamies never make any positive impact on society in general.When they got trouble their disciples behaved like hooligans.
Spirituality made us cowards that is reflected in our daily life & in our history. We are searching our miseries in planets & stars what a laughable creatures we are. O my loving brothers & sisters fight with odds with iron fist & make society a livable place & chase out these swamis from our soil.
I agree some people want to know cosmic play but that is "Choli ke peechhe kya hai" :lol:
Best Regards,
Sanjay Kumar
If you can not ignore an insult laugh at it, if you can not laugh at it you probably deserved it.

Talib
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Talib » 07 May 2011

spidey wrote:Talib ji,
Loved this line -
i also have this urge to understand cosmic joke

I feel the same.
Warm regards,
Spidey

Dear Spidey,

every tree was a seed initially , this urge will take us to the heights, hope to see u on the way. :)

whenever i read ur signatures it reminds me of a dream which i was having since childhood, i think, i have mentioned that dream in one of my initial post's. anyways the dream is like this:

i have wide wings and i am flying up in the sky, suddenly i start falling down, helpless, my heatbeat increases in sleep, fear, its sort of attack in sleep.. what we call in loacl language "dabaav". more i fall close to ground more i feel helpless and stiff(sometime i cried) . and then just before touching the ground i again take off and starts flying. this dream was regular since childhood and i can remember it as my first dream. but i got rid of this dream almost an year ago and amazingly the last time i had this dream, i did not feel any fear, depression, stifness. i left myself free while falling and then had a take off, thats all i remember.

Love

vairagya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vairagya » 23 May 2011

Dear All,

This is strange thread but i got interested never the less.

SPIRITUALITY IS A MENTAL DISEASE.... is the topic.
let us try and understand each word.
well, i like to go into detail and roots of everything and keep on trying trying...

lets start with first word... spirituality !!
how can we comment on 'spirituality' when we dont know what it is ?
i am trying to find out since many years and will keep on doing it...

maybe the author who wrote it never tried and if he did , he should write about it too.

should we fool ourselves by quoting everything we read in newspapers or novels etc.
and declaring it to be right without getting to the base of it ????

hugs
vairagya

lovacrs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lovacrs » 24 May 2011

I think the bottom line is, if you are "sold out" on any specific way of life, all other ways of living can show up as diseases. :lol: :lol:
CRS

Basab

Post by Basab » 29 May 2011

I would like to share my thoughts on ‘spirituality’. I got into it with a lot of skepticism. Now, let me clear it up, before it leads to any confusion on the part of the reader, and also to keep my honesty intact, what ‘I got into it’ is meant by me here: I took interest in spirituality, as in, reading books on it, and that is where I am stuck up, till now. I haven’t progressed any further, after that, whether I will or not that I leave to destiny. But now, not digressing from the topic in hand, I got into spirituality with a lot of reluctance. I hardly knew what it was, but like many, I didn’t want to know what it was than what the dictionary meaning had made me understand, when I had checked the word there in that book, which has all the words with their meaning in it’s belly, and make scathing remarks on it, which could make even make the ever merciful God get annoyed.

(To be continued...)
Last edited by Basab on 31 May 2011, edited 3 times in total.

Basab

(Continuation of the previous post...)

This very thought that 'spirituality' was a disease had been in my mind for quite sometime, till I realized one day that ignorance about it was the disease that I was infected with when I read my second book on spirituality—the first book that I had read on the subject, I had not realized it was on 'spirituality': maybe because the word ‘spirituality’ was not stamped on it’s cover, in block letters. The second book helped me understand what 'spirituality' meant, and I told my friend that I know what 'spirituality' was. He was I am sure a bit confused, but then, he realized the import of my words when I explained to him further what I meant by that: that finally I have understood the essence of the word. I realized later that I was a fool to think that I had understood the essence of 'spirituality', by reading one book because when I read more books on it, it made me understand it more and more. And the more I am reading now, the more I am understanding how deep spirituality is, though in actuality, I am sure, I am still hovering around in the surface, and the depth, I am yet to fathom.

(To be continued...)
Last edited by Basab on 31 May 2011, edited 9 times in total.

Basab

Let me now talk about that first book: ‘Mahabharata’. I am sure most people here have heard about it. I have an abridged version of the book (though I later on bought a more detailed version, which is abridged, too), a 250 page, thin book, which is like the summary of the epic, translated in Bengali by my grandfather’s elder brother. He had presented us the book long back, but then, as is said, nothing happens till destined, I didn’t read the book, till I was destined to, that is many years after we got it. I read the book, and it changed me to my very core and that, of course, for the better.

I am sure everyone is wondering now what magic lines I found there, that changed me completely. It was the mention of predestined destiny. Earlier when things would not work out for me, I would find it difficult to accept it, but that belief that things happened as they were meant to happen, helped me accept things, which didn’t go my way. It helped me grow my endurance, my patience, which I lacked in, completely, earlier. Now, accepting your destiny is one of the chief lessons of 'spirituality'. We talk about salvation and God, which are destinations that the spiritual path leads us to, but spirituality is not restricted to that. To reach the goal you have to know the route that takes you to it, and believing in destiny, is one sure sign post on the cross-road, which will show you the right direction to your destination.

(To be continued...)
Last edited by Basab on 31 May 2011, edited 7 times in total.

Basab

Now, I know, the reader is fed-up, seeing me talk about all this, but the thing, which I am supposed to talk about: whether spirituality is a disease or not? I am sorry that I have again diverged from the topic in hand, but then, it’s my nature to write in a round about way as that gives me the chance to write a few more lines—can’t help it, I love writing. It’s quite an irony though: that though I love writing, I am not a good writer.

Now let me come face-to-face with the topic in hand: it’s been said that 'spirituality' is a disease because it curbs our natural instincts—because we are not born to be spiritual but to be materialistic. Now, let us keep spirituality aside for a while and think on practical terms, the way the world thinks.

What do worldly people wish for? They want their desires fulfilled. What are those desires? To be rich, to be famous, to be powerful, to be honoured, to have the most beautiful life partner, to have wonderful kids, who will make you proud, and the list is never ending. Yes, it is natural, our desiring all those things, finding which, we will get happiness, too. But nature doesn’t fulfill our wishes. It has given us desires aplenty, but not the means, the ability, the luck, to fulfill those desires in us. How many people in this world get any of the things I have mentioned? How many has got fame? How many has got power? How man has got honour? How many, a beautiful wife? How many, wonderful children? How many have even got their basic needs fulfilled—forget their dreams? The desires are what we are born with, it is what nature has gifted us with, but it is this same nature, which stops us from getting those desires fulfilled. No, they don’t do it directly. Neither the earth, nor the air, nor the sea, nor the river, nor anything in the earth has stopped us from becoming rich, or famous, or powerful or whatever we desire, but even then they have stopped us, indirectly. There is something mysterious that runs behind the curtain of this existence, which controls our life, which stops us from fulfilling our desires, and hurts us, everyday, till we get frustrated, till we get depressed, and sometimes even mad. And even then 'spirituality', and not running behind the sensory pleasures of life, has been called a disease!!

Now, we have to decide, which one is a disease: something, which makes us accept our life the way it is, or something, which makes us mad running after something, which we may not get? If fulfilling the cravings of the senses was nature’s gift to us, why has this same nature, not gifted each of us with the means to fulfill those sensory desires? Why does it stop us from getting what we dream of? I know of hundreds, who run after the things they desire, till they get old, but don’t still get to reach them. Why is that? Many suffer, many get depressed, many get mad, with their unfulfilled desires, haunting them, till their very death, making them a lot of times take an appointment with a mind doctor. And what does that doctor tell them? To go on with what they are doing? To run after their big dreams, till they become more mad? No, they don’t, I am sure. I remember reading an interview of a reputed psychiatrist, and I remember that one question to him, and its answer: he was asked, what is the reason for all the psychological problems in this world? The answer he gave was, the lack of acceptance of things, the way they are. Everyone doesn’t have the ability to be the most successful in every department of life, but then, there is no restriction on dreaming about them, on desiring them and demanding them, and that is the reason for all the mental problems in the world.

Now, why should we accept our life the way it is? It is not natural, is it? We should give our senses a free rein, they should be allowed to desire anything and everything and go mad when that desires are not fulfilled, but then, some are mad enough to not call this disease, but call 'spirituality' a disease, which asks us to stop running after our dreams, to stop becoming a slave of the sense, but to become a master of it. To not desire anything, but to accept things the way they are is one of the indirect lesson on spirituality, the direct lesson being, to detach ourselves from anything that takes us towards the materialistic path.

(To be continued...)
Last edited by Basab on 31 May 2011, edited 6 times in total.

Basab

Now, let us come to the materialistic people. You all will be stunned to know that many of them are to some extent spiritual, though they are not aware of it even. I know of 2 people, who called themselves materialistic, but then, when I talked to them about life, I realized that they were spiritual, too, in a way.

I will give two examples. I have this friend, who always tells me that he is very materialistic. He has faced a lot of struggles in life and is still facing them, and I asked him one day, how he deals with life when life punches him hard, every single day: he said in reply, he doesn’t expect anything for his labour. He just works hard, give his hundred percent, and then, doesn’t expect anything because he knows he will not get the fruit of his labour, like always. Now, isn’t he leading a life very similar to how a karma yogi leads his life: that is keep doing his work and surrenders the fruits of his labour to God? Yes, that is exactly how he is doing his work, but there is one subtle difference between a karma yogi and this person: he doesn’t expect any fruit for his labour because he knows he won’t get it, but a karma yogi doesn’t wish for any fruits for his labour because he doesn’t want it. So in the former case, its being spiritual at gun-point, and in the latter, it is being spiritual, willingly.

Now, coming to this second friend of mine: she claims that she is not spiritual. Life has not been easy for her as well. I talked to her generally about life, and she told me that there is a meaning behind everything that happens in life, and everything happens for the ultimate good. I thought to myself, immediately: isn’t it something a spiritual person would believe? So here again we see that she is spiritual to some extent, though she very strongly says she is not that.

Now, coming to being tired of materialistic life, we come to hear about people who have got tired of materialistic life and taken to spirituality. Once all your wishes get fulfilled, you get tired of it and start seeking God, the ultimate desire that is destined for each and every man. When we see people, who left everything for God, we wonder, how he can possibly do it, and even may call it a disease, but then, if we put attention to our own life, we can get a clue of what those people feel when they say that they are tired of materialistic life, and losing interest in everything, turn to spirituality.

If we think deeply, we will realize that once some desires of ours get fulfilled, once the happiness has been experienced, it passes away. It doesn’t stay with us forever. I will give my example. I always wanted to write stories, and though I tried to a couple of times, I failed, both of those times, and I was sad about it, and the desire in me remained. I could imagine that how happy I would be if I could write a story, one day. That day came, I wrote a story, and then, I wrote many more stories after that. It got me happiness in the beginning, but then, I got used to it. I took it for granted that I can write stories. Same happened when many of my other desires got fulfilled, and from that I understood one thing: that fulfillment of desires can’t give you permanent happiness.

I am sure everyone realizes what I realized when they see their dream get fulfilled that fulfillment of desire can’t give eternal happiness, but then, they get busy chasing their next dream, until a time comes when they realize it is a wild goose chase, trying to find happiness in materialistic goals. So we can see that it is in our instinct to desire something, but then, we have the intelligence to understand that the fulfillment of desire doesn’t give permanent happiness. So it is wrong to say that spirituality is not there in us, and only materialism is there.

(To be continued...)
Last edited by Basab on 31 May 2011, edited 6 times in total.

Basab

Now, coming to my experience, I have read a few spiritual books, and they have been very comforting for me. I know, I am not a spiritual person as per the conventional definition of 'spirituality', but I know this too, now, that there is a little of 'spirituality' in me as it is there in each and every other person. I started reading these books after a lot of egging by a person, who is spiritual, after we argued for several months, which went the length of 60-70 mails, where I kept telling her that I believe in predestined destiny, in accepting my fate, but not in spirituality, though what I was saying was a part of 'spirituality', a stepping stone to that world, till when she was able to convince me to read books on that topic.

I thank the above mentioned person, from my heart every day, as she has introduced me to books, which has given me a lot of comfort. Now, coming to the interesting part: I am the last person, who would want to leave everything for God, but then, even though the subject matter of books on spirituality is that, I don't get irritated reading them, but it gives me a feeling of bliss, which I had never expected from them. How does one explain this? That's the magic of spirituality. If something gives a person comfort and solace, how can it be called a disease? How can we accept something, enjoy reading something, when it talks about something, which goes against our natural instinct? It’s because, it is not so— it’s because we all have 'spirituality' in us, which is hidden, but which will come out one day for sure. It's just a matter of when—maybe tomorrow, maybe a year later, maybe 10 years later, maybe in the next life, or maybe 100 lives later.
Last edited by Basab on 31 May 2011, edited 2 times in total.

sita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by sita » 29 May 2011

I believe in ''New Age Spirituality'' 8)

According to me:-

Whatever makes you feel peaceful, joyful and content is spirituality
:)

JupiterLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by JupiterLight » 29 May 2011

Totally agree with Sita ;)
whatever make me peaceful is my religion :)

sita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

JupiterLight wrote:Totally agree with Sita ;)
whatever make me peaceful is my religion :)

Yes darling...and we r very religious :wink:

JupiterLight
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by JupiterLight » 29 May 2011

Totally :D no1 can be more religious than us :P

sita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

yeahh my sweetu....no one...we r blessed and god's favourite :)

sanjayk1265
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanjayk1265 » 30 May 2011

vairagya wrote:Dear All,

This is strange thread but i got interested never the less.

SPIRITUALITY IS A MENTAL DISEASE.... is the topic.
let us try and understand each word.
well, i like to go into detail and roots of everything and keep on trying trying...

lets start with first word... spirituality !!
how can we comment on 'spirituality' when we dont know what it is ?i am trying to find out since many years and will keep on doing it...

maybe the author who wrote it never tried and if he did , he should write about it too.

should we fool ourselves by quoting everything we read in newspapers or novels etc.
and declaring it to be right without getting to the base of it ????

hugs
vairagya
Dear friends,
Is it necessary to burn our hand to know the nature of fire ? :|
Regards,
Sanjay Kumar

Abhijit Muhurta !!!
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Abhijit Muhurta !!! » 31 May 2011

sanjayk1265 wrote:Is it necessary to burn our hand to know the nature of fire ?
Dear Sanjay

Following your logic....... it is enough if we know that water quenches the thirst !!

But when one is thirsty....... he doesnt need to talk about water or learn its properties.
He Just needs it to go down his throat to feel satiated !

So is spirituality...... until one is really ready all one does is talk about it.....play around it...etc
But when the inner fire is invoked it goes about burning everything..... systematically . :D

Regards,