Aditya Hridayam

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Nitin21
Re: Aditya Hridayam

Post by Nitin21 » 24 Sep 2010

Rajitha - Hanuman Chalisa has some taratamya (hierarchical) discrepancies. It is actually not the correct stuti to do. In Hanuman chalisa, it is only the Bhava that bears fruit and not the kriya. I do listen to the Anup Jalota version of the Chalisa and recite only the stanzas in parts that are correct.

Barring the above logic (which is prone to debate), you need to ensure that you are in the state of Shuchi before reciting the Chalisa. Wearing leather belt, purse, black clothes, impure asana are some of the common impediments to pooja.

You may want to recite "Shri Hanumate Namah" instead 108 times and see how it fares for you.
rajitha wrote:Astrosonu
Since you have the picture of Hanumanji, let me ask you this question.

Whenever I try to read Hanuman Chalisa, I face some obstacle or the other. Am I doing something wrong or is there a particular way I should do it ?

rita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by rita » 29 Sep 2010

Hi all,

I'm very much interested in knowing what health benefits people have experienced after reciting Adityam Hridayam stotra. Please share your experiences.

Thanks

Rita
Warm Regards

Rita

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 29 Sep 2010

I am in UK
rajitha wrote:Astrosonu,
Thanks but the terms you have used are above me. I could not understand what you were trying to convey. However, I am going to try your suggestion for the prayer and let you know.

BTW, are you in the US?

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 29 Sep 2010

Dear Rita,

Sun is the source of vitality. Without vitality the body ceases to function in a perfect way. So, the prayer eradicates all obstacles arising in providing the vitality to the native, thereby erasing all diseases as well.

To be specific, Sun rules the stomach area and the bones. So, these areas become better.

Regards
Sonu
rita wrote:Hi all,

I'm very much interested in knowing what health benefits people have experienced after reciting Adityam Hridayam stotra. Please share your experiences.

Thanks

Rita

rita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by rita » 30 Sep 2010

Dear Sonu,

Thanks very much for the explanation. Much appreciated.

Regards
Rita
Warm Regards

Rita

sg07
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sg07 » 30 Sep 2010

I have a question for MS recitation of SVS.She doesn't recite the second shloka from the Ganesh vandana.Is there any specific reason for that?

yasya dvirada vaktrAdyAh pArisadyAh parassatam |
vighnam nighnanti satatam visvaksEnam tamAsrayE

Thanks
sg07

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 30 Sep 2010

Dear sg07,

Actually in the original Mahabharata, the Vishnu Sahasranama starts with the sloka "Sri Vaisampayana uvacha..."

"Sruthva dharmaana seshena.............." continued by the question from Yudishtra starting "Kimekam...."
For these questions Bheeshma answers in the following 9 slokas ending "Yaani naamani gownaani ...."

After this it straight goes to "Vishwam vishnur vashatkaaro..." (ie., the thousand naamas)

One of the commentators either Parasara Bhatta or Sri Madhvacharya must have added the first few slokas and the dhyana part of it.

Actually, the first few slokas talk only about Vishnu.

The sloka "Suklaam baradaram vishnum...." is believed to be Ganesh Vandana from time immemorial. Actually, its not true. Even that sloka prays to Shri Vishnu.

Only very later ppl (commentators/devotees) felt that a Ganesh Vandana was necessary. So, this sloka "Yasyathviratha...." is added and since that was not in the older script Sri.MSS did not record it.

The original piece from Mahabharata has only the following:
from "Vaisampayana uvacha.." to "Yaani naamani gownaani..." comprising of 13 slokas and from then on without dhyana straight to the Vishnu Sahasra namavali.

Trust this clarifies.

Regards,
RAMANAN

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 30 Sep 2010

Actually, as said by Ramananji, first sloka also refers to Vishnu and the second one, yasya dwirada as far as I have heard, refers to Viswaksenar who is the Vaishnavite equivalent of Ganeshar. So it is more often used by staunch Vaishnavites who never miss rendering this sloka.

Dev

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 30 Sep 2010

Dear Dev and Ramanan,

In Madhava Sampradaya and most Vaishnavites, every deity is prayed antargata Shri Vishnu. So here in first shloka, Shuklam baradharam Vishnum Ganeshji is prayed as antargat Shri Vishnu.

MS Subulaxmi version is actually most accurate. But it has some repetitions in Rishi, Chhanda part. Moreover the invocation is not vedic in nature. I read the one starting with Shuklam baradharam vishnum.. as it is the Vedic invocation of the deities from time immemorial.

Both are equally powerful and do solve the purpose of remembering Shri Ganesha before any pooja.

Regards
Sonu

sg07
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sg07 » 01 Oct 2010

Thanks to RamananJi,Dev and AstroSonu for explaining everything so nicely.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 01 Oct 2010

I just checked the Vaishnavites version. They do not have any invocation etc. It starts with Vaishampayen Uvacha.

Also, Ramanan is right. Although it sounds like the "ShuklamBaradharam Vishnum .. " is a Ganesh Vandana Shloka, but it is actually referring to MahaVishnu. It is actually the second Shloka related to VishwakSena that is related to Ganeshji. Although there are disputed versions and meanings of the shloka, but my belief is that if it is a vedic invocation, then it will most likely to be Shri Vishnu. This is also emphasized from the fact that the subsequent Shlokas all sing the glory of Shri MahaVishnu and avataras.

Regards
Sonu

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 02 Oct 2010

Dear Ramanan,

The chhand in SVS is "Anushtup". This means we should recite SVS stanzas in the breakup of 8 bit codes. These 8 bits should be based on Sanskrit words and english (For the benefit of readers here). Also half letters are not counted as 1 bit. For e.g.

"vishvam vishnur-vashatkaro bhuta-bhavya-bhavat-prabhuh
Bhutakrud bhutabhrud bhavo bhutatma bhuta-bhavanah"

Should be read as "Vishvam Vishnur VashatKaro" (8Bit -1) "Bhoot Bhavya-BhavatPrabhu (8Bit -2)"

And similarly for all stanzas.. Is my understanding correct ?

Regards
Sonu

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 02 Oct 2010

Dear Sonu

Your understanding of the meter anushtup is correct.To facilitate the proper meter if we get the pronunciation right that is Bhoota brudh instead of Bhoota brud we take an extra piece of time to stretch that 'H' and automatically the meter falls in place.

Trust this helps

regards
ramanan

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 02 Oct 2010

Dear Ramanan,

Yes, I am slowly working my way towards "Akshara" and "Swara" Shuddhi as well. Without this meter may not be as effective. Thanks for pointing this out.

In this context, do you think MSS uses the correct meter ?

Regards
Sonu
R V RAMANAN wrote:Dear Sonu

Your understanding of the meter anushtup is correct.To facilitate the proper meter if we get the pronunciation right that is Bhoota brudh instead of Bhoota brud we take an extra piece of time to stretch that 'H' and automatically the meter falls in place.

Trust this helps

regards
ramanan

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 02 Oct 2010

Dear Sonu

Yes sir , she is right up there and I am yet to hear a better rendition. Moreover, her bhava was so good that it really melts and in that melting you forget everything else.

regards
ramanan

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 03 Oct 2010

Dear Rita ,

I've been chanting this stotram for the past several months and this has benefited me immensely.
Of course, there have been minor setbacks - but I strongly believe that these would have been major had I not regularly chanted this stotra. My mom used to tell me to chant this when I was a kid, but I was too busy debunking our vedic sampradayam then.

The power of this stotram can be understood when one reads Ramayana. Shri Rama, an incarnation of Shri Vishnu, had to recite this thrice to gain the strength to defeat Ravana. Praying to Aditya generally gives us vitality...one does not feel tired easily.

RV Ramanan Sir had suggested me to chant Shri Agastyo Bhagavan Rishihih thrice before this stotram.

If only I can focus and chant this with full faith, I believe I would be at peace. Prapatti.com has a very good mp3 (recited by Sundar Kidambi).

I wish you the very best with this stotram. May the grace of Aditya shine upon you.

-SS

astrosonu wrote:Dear Rita,

Sun is the source of vitality. Without vitality the body ceases to function in a perfect way. So, the prayer eradicates all obstacles arising in providing the vitality to the native, thereby erasing all diseases as well.

To be specific, Sun rules the stomach area and the bones. So, these areas become better.

Regards
Sonu
rita wrote:Hi all,

Thanks

Rita

rita
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by rita » 05 Oct 2010

Hi Sonali,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience of chanting the Aditya Hridayam stotra. I have suffered from stomach and lung problems all my life therefore I am hoping that it can be a remedy particularly for those health issues.

I will defintely look up the MP3 you mentioned.

Many thanks.

Rita
Warm Regards

Rita

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 05 Oct 2010

Dear Rajithaji,

Though theres no harm in chanting it in the night, certainly the time of sunrise and sunset are preferable to yield faster results.

Regards,
RAMANAN

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 07 Oct 2010

Dear Rajitha Ji

SOmehow plan your time so that you chant at least once preferably in the morning in your pooja room with full concentration. It doesnt help to chant while you are driving, initially. But there are people who continuosly keep chanting it the whole day. For them that is ok. It has got imbibed in them and even when they are doing something else it keeps on repeating from within. One example is

Former India opening batsman Krishnamachari Shrikant. I remember to have read this somewhere.

Regards
ramanan

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 07 Oct 2010

This posture will only fetch you more problems. For any kind of pooja Asana Shuddhi is a must.
rajitha wrote:Thanks for your patient replies.

I do that with Vishnu Sahasranamam but only when I am very hard pressed for time. Otherwise, I sit on the sofa and recite it.

Nitin21

Dear Ramanan,

One of the benefits of recitations of SVS is that it enhances the karakatwa of Mercury for the person. Whereas I saw Kris Srikanth never had a flow for speech. He very often repeated words while commentating and was hard pressed on innovative proverbs and ideas in commentary box too.

What you mentioned as imbibed in the person, we call it as "Aharanish". i.e. It justs flows in the system. IMO Sacred Shlokas like SVS should never get Aharanish for Karma yogis. Because chanting it any moment any time induces ashuddhi and also reduces the punya.

There are some of the small stutis like "Shri Venkateshaya Namah", "Shri Trivikramaya Namaha" that can be chanted anytime anyhow. But not SVS. However, please correct me If I am wrong.

Regards
Sonu

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Sonu,

I was referring to Aditya Hridayam and not SVS, which enhanced Srikanth's will to face Malcolm Marshal or blast Imran Khan. I was not referring to SVS at all. So no question of Mercury here. My write-up was only about Aditya Hridayam and not SVS.

Trust this clarifies.

Regards,
RAMANAN

Nitin21

Dear Ramanan,

My apologies for the error. But even for Aditya Hridayam, I guess the same thing applies. It is a very sacred Shloka. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Sonu

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dear Sonu,

Theres no doubt about the sanctity of any stotra and I fully agree with u that it has to be chanted properly in every respect. But if a person is unable to manage his/her time due to so many reasons then chanting it in some way or the other is better than not chanting at all. That is why I normally dont advise very strict adherence. But, I will tell u my experience. Once a person starts chanting regularly then the interest he gains will slowly make him plan his schedule so that his chanting becomes perfect in every respect. I shall here below give the schedule of one of my friends who when started SVS was very hapazard. No parents, her husband passed away, 2 kids, one very young, works as a school teacher between 8-4, take tutions between 5-8, no servant maid in the house, chants SVS both morning and in the night only after head bath. And, she is absolutely not worried about anything under the sun. She was very gloomy and despondent initially. Very reluctant to even start chanting. She was literally fed up bcos she lost her parents and husband in a span of 5yrs. Amazing thing is that, she managed to give it a shot and SVS has taken over her. So, I personally feel if somebody can make a start and hang on for sometime then God will take over.

Trust this clarifies.

Regards,
RAMANAN

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 08 Oct 2010

No special requirements. Just buy a new asana and keep it aside only for Japas and poojas. Sit on the floor on the asana and not on a height. Try facing East or North-east while doing Japas. In case you feel the surroundings are not so clean, chant this stotra 11-21 times before proceeding for any Japa.

"Atineela Ghanshyamam Nalanayit Lochanam, smarami pundarikaksham ten snaot bhavamyaham". Recite this also while you are taking bath. This is for Atma Shuddhi.

When you recite SVS, Imagine Lord Vishnu and Maata Laxmi in the heart of Shri Hanuman. This will elevate your pooja status. Vayu is the Mukhya Prana without which nothing is possible. And Shri Hanuman is Vayu incarnation. Sri Rama and Sri Krishna both had services of Vayu in the form of Hanumanji and Bheemsen. Shri Vishnu pooja is half without Vayu archana.

Preferably you should be in white clothes while you do the archana, if you want to proceed on gnana marga. For Rajasik desires, Red works well.

If you are not in the proper asana and above mentioned mode (like driving etc), recite the name of Shri Vishnu in Shri Venkatesha and Shri Trivikrama avatara. "Shri Venkateshaya/Trivikramaya Namah" is best to do.

The Bhava is very important. At the same time, it is essential that Shuchi/Ashuchi related precautions are also followed, as much as possible. During emergencies, Lord gives an exception. But the emergencies should be real emergencies only and not routine mismanagement of time or events.

This is to ensure that you get Purna fal of your Japa and do not incur any doshas alongside the punya you gain.

Last but not the least, do ask for forgiveness at the end of the Japas. The almighty is Karunasagar. You can rest assured leave the results to him.

rajitha wrote:Sonu,
Then, what is the best asana for this? You know in US, we don't have pooja rooms. So, kindly guide me as to the best way to do this.

Also, as Ramananji said, my main intention is to chant SVS atleast once every day. I have managed to do it without fail for the last 4.5 years.

Please guide me about the right way of doing this.