Aditya Hridayam

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
sg07
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Aditya Hridayam

Post by sg07 » 28 Aug 2010

astrosonu wrote:Call me outdated buddy. But you cannot go to Sai baba temple for Vedic rituals.
sg07 wrote:Thanks to Ramananji and AstroSonuji for the advice.I''m in US right now so I can go to Sai baba temple today and take the initiation there.I wished it could be done for other mantras as well.Because in today's world it is so difficult to find a guru so there are mantras that we can chant but can't because of the initiatilon issue.
Thanks
Yes I understand that very well sir.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 28 Aug 2010

Dear Sg07,

I am not sure what faith or sect you are part of, but as Ramanan mentioned, Shri Raghavendra Swamy muthh is a very good option to get initiated. Shri Raghavendra Swamy is an incarnation of Prahlad. Madhava sampradaya is a very reknowned, logical and extremely devoted group towards Shri Vishnu and dashavataras. Similar for all vayu swaroopas like Shri Hanumanji and Shri Bheemsen. If you can somehow manage to get initiated by a brahmin of the sect, they will also guide you to the exact way of proceeding with the Stotra. Ramanan himself is a huge ocean of knowledge and I learn new things from him everyday as well.

In the problems like distances as you have mentioned, bhava sankalpa is very much acceptable. Shri Hanumanji learnt Vidya from Surya Devata too. The willingness to learn was so strong that although Sun travels at a great speed forward, Shri Hanuman travelled backwards at the same speed and learnt from Surya Narayan, because Sun can never stop. So, in case nothing works out, pray to Shri Hanumanji, make a bhava sankalp and start with Aditya Hrudayam. You will be amazed to see the results. :)

Regards
Sonu

sg07
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sg07 » 28 Aug 2010

Dear AstroSonu,
I'm a north Indian Hindu and till some time back I was not aware of Aditya Hridayam. Today I went to a South Indian temple in my city which had Sai Baba idol also.I prayed to him and requested to accept me and initiate me to chant Aditya Hridayam. I hope it is okay like that.When I came back, I read your post that I could pray to Hanumanji also for the initiation.I hope if I chant Aditya Hridayam now,I'll get benefit from that.
Thanks for your kind help.

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 29 Aug 2010

Dear Astrosonu,

I don't agree with your views on initiation. God listens to everyone who prays sincerely, be it a Brahmin or a Shudra or anyone else. I understand that you have the guidance of a guru...which is a real fortune in this day and age... but some of your views are very dogmatic. Why would God not accept a prayer from someone who has not been initiated? Just does not make sense to me.

On another note, this is a very powerful stotra and has helped me immensely since I started reciting it mainly with focusing.

Regards,

SS

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 29 Aug 2010

Hi:

It is true God listens to everyone. However, if u have studied sanskrit and have a good pronunciation, I dont think u really need initiation even if u are not a hindu. However how many have learnt sanskrit, very few. If u are among the few, I dont think u need a guru but if u are not good enough in pronunciations, it is better to chant in front of a learned scholar and get them corrected since it is always good to chant them perfectly without a mistake.

Dev

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 29 Aug 2010

True. God is impartial and listens to everyone. But there are different guidelines for everyone. Mantras are smart systems of syllables arranged in a specific order. These are governed by Mantrapurush. Vedadhikar is not for everyone except brahmins and hence Bhagvad Gita was written so that everyone in Kaliyuga can read it irrespective of caste creed etc. Such is the impartial nature of the almighty. So, do not doubt it.

Secondly, Mantras need initiation from a Guru as i said it is a smart system and governed by Mantra purush. At the same time, the alternative Stotras do not need initiation. For e.g. MMJ is a veda mantra. Even brahmins leading a routine life should not chant it. It should be chanted by Priests only via a Sankalpa. All ashtakshar, dwadakshar mantras are to be chanted only on initiation. Anything done against the Shastras guidelines leads only to unhappiness and a step back in the journey of the soul.

At the same time, Shri Ved Vyasa has written Navagraha Stotras for everyone. Anyone can recite it. Same with Shri Vishnu Sahasranama. Anyone can recite it. No initiation etc needed. Because these are stutis. And God, ever merciful he is has not deprived anyone of remembering him or serving him. It's just that the methods and rules are different. This is because different practice needs to be done prior to getting into high level chanting of some mantras. These practices enable the body to get rid of Ashuchis and purify the soul.

And I believe Aditya Hrudyam does not need initiation. But I mentioend above that initiation gives good results as the punya of a Priest or Brahmin is the first point to get started instead of our own ashuchis.

You find my views dogmatic because they are hard to practice, and these are as per guidelines of Shastras. None practices these in Kaliyuga except some exceptions. And I do not impose myself on anyone. I just tell what is right. At the end of the day it is the intellect of the person himself that decides what is right and wrong.

The thing is that your fifth house is cursed because of the combination of 6th and 8th lords, which creates frequent obstacles in your Sadhana and acceptability of spirituality.

But, based on your logic I have a query. if someone is not a member of parliament but yet wants full access to be seated in the parliament, to discuss with PM, CM etc. and form budgets instead of writing suggestions to them via email, letter or phone under the pretext of equality then I am not sure how big the Parliament house should be.

I want to handshake with the President everyday. I am a democratic citizen of this country and It is my right to do a handshake with the President. President and me are equal human beings. Why cant I be given me an appointment. Just does'nt make sense to me. What an inequality ? Why can't he accept my handshake ? Just does'nt make sense to me. he has a car with pilots and increased security, Is my life not important ? I think our ministers are too dogmatic. :(

sonali.shah wrote:Dear Astrosonu,

I don't agree with your views on initiation. God listens to everyone who prays sincerely, be it a Brahmin or a Shudra or anyone else. I understand that you have the guidance of a guru...which is a real fortune in this day and age... but some of your views are very dogmatic. Why would God not accept a prayer from someone who has not been initiated? Just does not make sense to me.

On another note, this is a very powerful stotra and has helped me immensely since I started reciting it mainly with focusing.

Regards,

SS

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 29 Aug 2010

Yes, as Astrosonu says, it is true that certain slokas like Vishnu Sahasranamam, Aditya hrudayam can be chanted by all and there are certain mantras which should be done after inititation only. They are the rules and also the main people who are regularly chanting these are the ones who can initiate. I am a brahmin but have not chanted these, so I also have to learn from them. Anyway slokas that dont need initiation can be chanted as such but still pronunciation should be corrected before chanting for better results.

Dev

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 29 Aug 2010

Very true Dev. Correct pronunciation is very important. In mantras one syllable gone wrong and the entire effect is nullified. Infact some get to get negative results too. So, one must ensure umpteen times that the pronunciation is absolutely right while chanting mantras. I am myself not a brahmin and I do not chant Mantras.

However, with Shlokas and Stutis, negative results do not accrue. But, at the same time, one must never take these lightly and make the best effort to chant the right words and not neglect the imperfections. More the perfection, more the Lord loves it. Shri Vishnu Sahasranama has some of the words that are difficult to pronounce and hence one must practice nicely. Whenever I read SVS and I pronounce anything wrong, I make it a habbit to chant Shri Venkateshaya Namah and Shri Hanumate Namah thrice if I make a mistake. It is also essential that before beginning we pray God and ask for forgiveness for any pronunciation defects accepting our human limitations.

I chant Shri Venkateshaya Namah 11 times after finishing SVS to pray for forgivness of chanting improper words.

Regards
Sonu

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 30 Aug 2010

Very well said, Astrosonu.

Please listen to cassette of M.S.Subbalakshmi for Vishnu Sahasranama, she has recited very well and in normal speed, it is even there for free download in internet. There may be others available too but I listen to this since she has a good voice and pronunciation and I am used to listening to her music too.

Regards
Dev

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 30 Aug 2010

You hit right on the nail Dev. MSSubu was and is the only mp3 of SVS i listen to in case of learning pronunciations. Not only that, it has a correct sequence of initiation too by starting with Shri Ganesh Vandana starting 'shuklam bara dharam vishnum... '.

And the dhyanam part has couple of diff words that i learnt from mp3. :).
Dev wrote:Very well said, Astrosonu.

Please listen to cassette of M.S.Subbalakshmi for Vishnu Sahasranama, she has recited very well and in normal speed, it is even there for free download in internet. There may be others available too but I listen to this since she has a good voice and pronunciation and I am used to listening to her music too.

Regards
Dev

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yes, Astrosonu, I am happy you already are listening to Vishnu Sahasranama by MS>

Yes, one sloka is chanted extra the after the first yasya dwirada vaktradyaha -----
Apart from this, it is almost same. Anyway it is one of the most powerful slokas when chanted everyday to burn off previous birth or present sins, I read at several places.
It owuld be only easy for you, being an astrologer to get your pronunciations corrected by listening to MS.
Thank u ane regards,

Dev

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 30 Aug 2010

Respected Astrosonuji,
From where can we get the text of the Vishnu Sahasranam (along with Shri Ganesha Vandana) , that MS Subbulakshmi recites ? The versions of SVS that I have contain the 1000 names only. Hence it is quite difficult for me to figure out the exact point from where the SVS recitation has actually started :) , more so because I don't know sanskrit.

Thanks and regards,
Spidey
I am a student of this subject , and hence I might be wrong in my calculations. Kindly seek other opinions too , before coming to a conclusion.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Spidey:

You can get VS from internet in almost all Indian languages and also english but make sure u get the correct pronunciation or learn from a person well versed in sanskrit. U can also get MSSubbalakshmi version of chanting which can be downloaded for free.

Dev

Nitin21

Dear Spidey,

Email me and I will send you the PDF.

Regards
Sonu

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 30 Aug 2010

Dear Astrosonu,

I apologize for my choice of words. I should have been more prudent in my wordings for the post.

I see your line of thought, but I don't agree with it. It could very well be my ignorance or my cursed 5th house as you pointed out. I don't want to spoil this thread by arguing on issues that we don't agree upon. Let's agree to disagree on this issue :)

Best Wishes and may the stotra help you in your goals.

SS
astrosonu wrote:True. God is impartial and listens to everyone. But there are different guidelines for everyone. Mantras are smart systems of syllables arranged in a specific order. These are governed by Mantrapurush. Vedadhikar is not for everyone except brahmins and hence Bhagvad Gita was written so that everyone in Kaliyuga can read it irrespective of caste creed etc. Such is the impartial nature of the almighty. So, do not doubt it.

Secondly, Mantras need initiation from a Guru as i said it is a smart system and governed by Mantra purush. At the same time, the alternative Stotras do not need initiation. For e.g. MMJ is a veda mantra. Even brahmins leading a routine life should not chant it. It should be chanted by Priests only via a Sankalpa. All ashtakshar, dwadakshar mantras are to be chanted only on initiation. Anything done against the Shastras guidelines leads only to unhappiness and a step back in the journey of the soul.

At the same time, Shri Ved Vyasa has written Navagraha Stotras for everyone. Anyone can recite it. Same with Shri Vishnu Sahasranama. Anyone can recite it. No initiation etc needed. Because these are stutis. And God, ever merciful he is has not deprived anyone of remembering him or serving him. It's just that the methods and rules are different. This is because different practice needs to be done prior to getting into high level chanting of some mantras. These practices enable the body to get rid of Ashuchis and purify the soul.

And I believe Aditya Hrudyam does not need initiation. But I mentioend above that initiation gives good results as the punya of a Priest or Brahmin is the first point to get started instead of our own ashuchis.

You find my views dogmatic because they are hard to practice, and these are as per guidelines of Shastras. None practices these in Kaliyuga except some exceptions. And I do not impose myself on anyone. I just tell what is right. At the end of the day it is the intellect of the person himself that decides what is right and wrong.

The thing is that your fifth house is cursed because of the combination of 6th and 8th lords, which creates frequent obstacles in your Sadhana and acceptability of spirituality.

But, based on your logic I have a query. if someone is not a member of parliament but yet wants full access to be seated in the parliament, to discuss with PM, CM etc. and form budgets instead of writing suggestions to them via email, letter or phone under the pretext of equality then I am not sure how big the Parliament house should be.

I want to handshake with the President everyday. I am a democratic citizen of this country and It is my right to do a handshake with the President. President and me are equal human beings. Why cant I be given me an appointment. Just does'nt make sense to me. What an inequality ? Why can't he accept my handshake ? Just does'nt make sense to me. he has a car with pilots and increased security, Is my life not important ? I think our ministers are too dogmatic. :(

Regards,

SS

Nitin21

dear sonali,

Pl dont apologize. I know you are a mature person and you have your head right on your shoulders. everybody has a opinion and so have you.

God bless you and get well soon.

Best Regards
Sonu

sg07
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sg07 » 30 Aug 2010

Hi all,
I just found SVS in text form on internet.Hope it helps people who want to try to memorize it.
http://sanskrit.safire.com/pdf/VISHNU2.PDF

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 30 Aug 2010

I just downloaded MS Subulakshmi's Bhaja Govindam and SVS. She is the best!!!
With my schedule, listening to it at work is the best that I can do in terms of time management.

Did she ever record Aditya Hridayam?

Thank you!

-SS

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 31 Aug 2010

Dear Sonali

Unfortunately the great MS has not recorded aditya hridayam. You have to get it elsewhere.

http://rs179.rapidshare.com/files/12019 ... idayam.mp3

Try this link the pronunciation seems to be ok.

regards
ramanan

sonali.shah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sonali.shah » 01 Sep 2010

Dear Astrosonu,

I've been thinking about what I wrote and realized that I am nothing but a hypocrite. If I can accept the jyotisha remedies in the stotras and the mantras then I should also be willing to accept the basis for their recital. I can't only eat the rice and ignore the chaff. Therefore, the apology.

Take care and best wishes,

SS
astrosonu wrote:dear sonali,

Pl dont apologize. I know you are a mature person and you have your head right on your shoulders. everybody has a opinion and so have you.

Best Regards
Sonu

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 01 Sep 2010

That's why I said Sonali, you are a mature person and you have your head on your shoulders. You exhibit this quality in appreciation and dismay both and I appreciate that very much. That's why I took the liberty to explain to you. :)

God Bless you.

Regards
Sonu

I've been thinking about what I wrote and realized that I am nothing but a hypocrite. If I can accept the jyotisha remedies in the stotras and the mantras then I should also be willing to accept the basis for their recital. I can't only eat the rice and ignore the chaff. Therefore, the apology.

Take care and best wishes,

SS
astrosonu wrote:dear sonali,

Best Regards
Sonu

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by spidey » 21 Sep 2010

Respected Ramananji and Astrosonuji,
I have been reciting the Aditya Hridayam Stotra regularly for the last couple of months daily without fail.
I do this in office or at home anytime I am free. Because I am staying with friends (away from my home) , I do not have a dedicated puja room/corner in my house.

My question is - is it alright if I do this with full devotion or do I also need to take care about the following factors -
1) clothes I am wearing - whether they are clean/dirty/etc
2) Suchi / Asuchi
3) What time of the day I am chanting this
4) The number of times I chant it. Right now I do it once daily. Should I do it thrice ?

Please could you advise ?

Once last thing - I have seen a marked increase in my peace of mind ever since I started this :)

Thanks a lot and warm regards,
Spidey
I am a student of this subject , and hence I might be wrong in my calculations. Kindly seek other opinions too , before coming to a conclusion.

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 21 Sep 2010

Dear spidey,

The suchi/asuchi is very important and shd not be neglected and the two sandhyas are preferable, other things considering the position u r in can be waived. But, if whenever u get a chance to do it properly then dont miss that one.

Regards,
RAMANAN

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 23 Sep 2010

Rajitha - The stotra is "Shri Venkateshaya Namaha" . I do not use OM Mantras as it requires very high degree of discipline and even though we may all try it, only a brahmin can reach nearest to that. Hopefully, while in SVS you are following the entire Shri Ganesh Vandana (Shuklambaradharam Vishnum...) , Shri Vishnu Vandana, Chhanda, Rishi part, Dhyanam( Ksheerodanvatpradeshe...), the actual 1000 names and then uvachas by various deities and Gurus like Lord Shiva, Bhishma, Arjuna etc.

If you need a sanskrit PDF email me and I will send you one.

Regards
Sonu
rajitha wrote:What a wonderful discussion !!!

I started the recitation of Vishnu Sahasranamam 4 years ago. An article by Vaughji titled "Transliteration of Vishnu Sahasranamam" inspired me to start it. He was kind enough to include the transliteration. Initially, I found many words difficult since the script was English and not Devanagari.
Then, I should say by God's grace, I chanced upon MS Subbulakshmi's recital. That helped me so much. I carefully heard every para and made changes as necessary. Today, I am able to say it by heart but I may be pronouncing some words wrong.

Thanks to Astrosonu. I will start using the Om Namo Venkateshaya namah after my prayer.

Also, in general, there are days when I don't have the time to do the prayer. Is it ok to recite it when driving ? Generally, I wash my legs and then start the prayer.

I will try to start Aditya Hridayam but the words are very complicated. I will try to hear to Ramananji's link.

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 24 Sep 2010

Rajitha - Vedic teachings have a logic beyond materialism. So, it will be undermining to say that because some brahmins eat meat, then one should not follow the right brahmins also. It is basically being anti-vedic. Just like the way fruits of a tree cannot bear sweetness, if the root is not correct, the same way, the mantras, the poojas etc have no effect if the belief is anti-vedic.

BTW Brahmins have strict regulations to follow and if they disrupt there are severe punishments (vedic teachings) too. Just in case you are wondering if brahmins go scott free because of their status.

It is not a good idea to write down email here as it would come up in search bots and spammers may use your id for unnecessary emails. then half your time will go clicking "report as spam". I have noted your ID please remove from your post.

Regards
Sonu
rajitha wrote:Thanks Astrosonu. Why does it have to be a Brahmin. You know that Brahmins in these days are eating meat more than other people ( No offense) :-)

Regarding the SVS, I am doing my prayer exactly like MS Subbulakshmi's recitation.

You can e-mail the Sanskrit PDF to rajithamakam@[No Personal Contact Details on Public Forum].com. I will add any parts I am missing. Thanks for your help.