Is Tulsi vivah a remedy for delayed marriage?

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
amanpatel77
Is Tulsi vivah a remedy for delayed marriage?

Post by amanpatel77 » 10 Nov 2019

Hello All,

I recently had a consultation with a renowned astrologer. For the delayed marriage (mainly due to Ketu in 12th) I was suggested to perform Tulsi vivah. That is, I get married to the Tulsi plant, and then do the visarjan the next day.

I have heard of Kumbh vivah and arka vivah (marrying an Arka plant). However, I have been searching for this kind of tulsi vivah online and I haven't come across a single astrologer who may have advised the same thing.

Tulsi is usually married to Lord Vishnu. So, I don't want to commit a major sin by marrying a Tulsi plant and do visarjan of it, if it in fact is a wrong thing to do.

Therefore, request experienced astrologers and sholars to advise on this topic and inform me of the correct path.

Sudhi
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is Tulsi vivah a remedy for delayed marriage?

Post by Sudhi » 12 Nov 2019

Talking about marrying tree's.....a decade back there was a controversy when reports surfaced that Aishwaria Rai had married a "peepal" tree ; "banana" tree and Lord Vishnu's idol to ward off ill effects as she was maanglik, which according to superstitious(?) beliefs, will result in the death of her spouse. Even a case was filed against her for promoting a regressive tradition.

So what I feel is astrologers,especially seniors, in this forum better explain in this thread about the above mentioned tradition and also Patelji's issue.

amanpatel77

Re: Is Tulsi vivah a remedy for delayed marriage?

Post by amanpatel77 » 28 Nov 2019

I think I may have an answer to this now.

My first concern was whether it was OK to marry with Tulsi as she represents Devi Lakshmi. I found that yes a man can marry to Tulsi plant. As per the mythology, Vrinda was an incarnation of Devi Lakshmi who was married to Jalandhar which later took the form of the tulsi plant.

My other concern was again how common it was in India men getting married to tulsi plant specifically. I did a bit of digging about it and found out that boys/men in fact do marry Tulsi plant as a remedial measure for marriage related dosha.