chandas

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
lefteye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
chandas

Post by lefteye » 23 Oct 2019

I have been looking for an answer to this for quite some time. Chandas in a mantra is based on the number of aksharas and pada. When chanda is perfect it creates a vibration in the room that continues in the room even after you have completed mantra. When gayatri is said once the whole room gets light. Proper chanda (meter) benefits all around. If said incorrect the person saying it will get benefit but not others, one cannot alter the vibration in a room, and will not be able to effect others. Chanda has the power to affect others.

Gayatri 8 akshara per pada, 3 pada =24 akshara
Ushnih 2pada x 8=16 and 1 pada x12= 28
Anushtup 8 akshara 4 pada =32 aksara
Brihati= 36 syllables; 2 verses of 8; 1 verse of 12;1 verse of 8 syllables= 36
Pankti=40 syllables; 5 verses of 8 syllables

How do we account the ashtakshara (gayatri chandas) and panchakshara (pankti chandas) mantras by this standard?

भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्

Venus75
Contributor
Contributor

Re: chandas

Post by Venus75 » 25 Oct 2019

Basically it is believed that manta when chanted correctly the sound energy travel in the form of light energy and reached to its specific devta....certainly when we say wrong mantra it will not produce the necessary vibration....i saw some post somewhere on chandas but not Recalling...if I find will share
Thanks

lefteye
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by lefteye » 26 Oct 2019

Thank you for the response. As far as Vedic mantras, this is fully applicable.
Doubts arise in tantric mantras. Chandas is not related to ascension or any other fundamental musical elements. Nor it is related to katapayadi sankhya. I have tried to clarify this with some vidyartis but yet to get an answer.
भव शंकर देशिक मे शरणम्

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tejomaya » 26 Oct 2019

Tantrika/Pauranika mantras dont conform to the chandas. In fact Gayatri mantra itself is a modified form(nichrud) of the chandas. These are revealed mantras/siddha mantras and hence source of their power is different..