Worship during Bramha Muhurta when other family members are still asleep

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
ashtalakshmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Worship during Bramha Muhurta when other family members are still asleep

Post by ashtalakshmi » 06 Sep 2019

Dear learned members, please help me clear my doubt regarding this.

I wake up early(4am) almost everyday to get things ready for my school going children .Because of this routine, even during holidays I wake up early and wonder what to do. I read somewhere that you shouldn’t light a lamp when the other family members are still asleep. So I never dared to do Pooja despite having interest and free time .

Somedays, I get some auspicious dreams and I immediately wake up and want to light a diya and pray but still hesitate to do it because of the above reason.

I am wondering if people who do sandhyavadanam every day considers this thing or is it okay to worship while other in the family are still sleeping? Can I light a lamp and worship the God when other family members are still asleep?

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Worship during Bramha Muhurta when other family members are still asleep

Post by hari766 » 09 Sep 2019

I have never heard before that one shouldn't pray to Gods while the others in the family are asleep. Of course if you are reciting stotras in a loud voice, you might wake up others, and they might not take kindly to that. In Sandhya vandanam, we recite the mantra mentally, so there is no question of disturbing others. I have experienced the best, in fact immediate, results out of reciting mantras in the period 4 am - 6 am.
Last edited by hari766 on 09 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 09 Sep 2019

Note : I am not a "learned member" by any means

ashtalakshmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by ashtalakshmi » 10 Sep 2019

hari766 wrote:
09 Sep 2019
I have never heard before that one shouldn't pray to Gods while the others in the family are asleep. Of course if you are reciting stotras in a loud voice, you might wake up others, and they might not take kindly to that. In Sandhya vandanam, we recite the mantra mentally, so there is no question of disturbing others. I have experienced the best, in fact immediate, results out of reciting mantras in the period 4 am - 6 am.
Hari ji, first of all thanks for replying . While I understand that we can worship God anytime even when other family members are sleeping, my doubt is can I light a diya(lamp) when others are still sleeping?

I am really surprised that no one ever in this forum gave a thought about this or no one ever lights a lamp during early morning hours? :?

Whatever, I would be very thankful if anyone that follows early ,morning worship to God (by lighting a lamp) shows some guidance regarding this matter.

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 10 Sep 2019

Dear ASHTALAKSHMI,

You can very well light diyas in the wee hours of the morning...even before any one else gets up...and I have been doing this for a very long time..

ramanan

ashtalakshmi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by ashtalakshmi » 10 Sep 2019

R V RAMANAN wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Dear ASHTALAKSHMI,

You can very well light diyas in the wee hours of the morning...even before any one else gets up...and I have been doing this for a very long time..

ramanan
Ramanan ji , thank you so much for clearing my doubt. I should have asked this question years before :(
Anyway, I am very happy to hear a positive answer :)

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 10 Sep 2019

Yes Ashtalakshmi, sorry that I didn't notice your query on lighting the lamp. I have seen the lamp lighted in Brahma muhurta in my house, even as some family members were sleeping.

iladevi19
Contributor
Contributor

Post by iladevi19 » 16 Sep 2019

Actually worship at Brahmi muhurtha is supposed to be a secret dialogue between our Ishtadevatha and our heart . So there is no need for bhajans , lighting of lamps or RINGING of bells or offerings of naivedyams . Since it is very private and personal affair no body need even notice that .