What is Vipasanna meditation?

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Sudha123
What is Vipasanna meditation?

Post by Sudha123 » 12 May 2019

Hi,
Can someone give me details of vipasanna meditation? What is it all about? Can a beginner take it up. I have been asked to register for vipassana meditation by a friend. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Sudha

Shivoham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is Vipasanna meditation?

Post by Shivoham » 12 May 2019

I have taken the 10 day course in Vipasana, Jaipur in November 2016. Vipasana meditation was started on the banks of the river Saraswati by the vedic seers in 9000 BC. The Rig Veda written in 5000 BC talks about Vipasana meditation.

It was Buddha who re-discovered Vipassana . Buddha did not teach in Sanskrit, he taught in the local language .

Meditation is an exercise of the mind. What physical exercise is to the body, meditation is to the mind. Silencing the body is easy, but silencing the mind is difficult in this modern age. Silencing is about grace, harmony and tranquility. Exhaustion is NOT tranquility.

In the modern age people get stressed, and they need to still the mind--the chattering monkey, which remains entangled in the past and the imagined future, but never in the present.

Vipassana meditation is about holding your mind to the present. When your ego powered mind is chattering like a monkey or the angry sea, you miss the truth. Truth can be communicated only in silence. For this deep silence you need to have harmony between the mind, body and soul.

The aim of every form of meditation is to still the mind, or you cant purify it and get rid of deep rooted negativities , which affect your health and even give you severe migraines.

Vipassana is a surgical operation of your subconscious mind to remove and discard negativity / ego and improve tolerance, grace and kindness.

Vipassana uses the awareness of breath method. It teaches you to look inwards, with awareness , withing yourself and know the true nature of all sensations, and loosen the stranglehold of habits and vices.. he scans his own body and sees where the stress and tension is. Simply be mindful of in-and-out breathing. You may feel that your breathing is too short, too long, too gentle or too heavy. Do not try to control it. Stop judging. Just let it be, let it settle by itself as you watch. It is the process of watching which is the meditation, not what you are watching.
When you become distracted, gently refocus your attention on your breathing. Keep watching. Just breathe... As the abdomen rises, observe the motion from beginning to end with your mind. When the abdomen falls, do the same. That's it. Just keep watching the rising-falling movements. You don't have to do anything to them. Just know the movements without judging or describing them.
Restrict your attention to what is occurring in the immediate present moment. Don't think about the past or future— don't think about anything at all. Let go of worries, concerns, and memories.
Empty your mind of everything except the movements occurring right now. But don't think about the motions; just know them.
In insight meditation the aim is not to think, but only to know. The motto is: "Focus and forget it," or "know and let go. Gurus of Vipassana meditation do not charge fees, unlike Reiki masters, who must charge as a rule.
I am without any form & variation. I am present everywhere as the underlying substratum of everything & always in equilibrium Neither do I get attached to anything, nor get freed from anything. I am Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness Soham Shivoham

Sudha123

Post by Sudha123 » 13 May 2019

Thankyou so much Shivoham. What changes did it bring in you. Was it effective. Do you need prior experience/practice in meditation?

Shivoham
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Shivoham » 13 May 2019

I don't see any changes in myself. One needs a lot of physical strength, grit and determination to go there and sit for 10+ hours everyday. if Saturn and Mars are rightly placed in your chat then you can achieve the target. One is not allowed to talk to anyone. you have to maintain silence of the mind the speech and the body. If you can do it properly then only go otherwise don't go. There are many who just give up on the initial stages. There can be problem with water so ask them to provide mineral water which will be taken from your own pocket. There is a separate section for men as well as women. My stomach gave up in few days because of the water problem. The food is good and satvik. once you go there you are expected to complete the whole 10 day course & practice for few hours at home, I didn't do it. Your experience will be different from mine so I cant comment on that. Will it be effective or not completely depends upon you. No prior experience required. You have to just follow the guidelines by the Guru.
I am without any form & variation. I am present everywhere as the underlying substratum of everything & always in equilibrium Neither do I get attached to anything, nor get freed from anything. I am Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness Soham Shivoham

Sudha123

Post by Sudha123 » 15 May 2019

Thankyou Shivoham. I don't know if I would complete it,but will definitely give it a try.

meera
Contributor
Contributor

Post by meera » 17 May 2019

Hi Sudha ji

It is a meditation technique which I and one cannot learn it on self. There is alot of information on YouTube and Google. But unless and untill one does not attend cannot learn. One can only understand it after attending. It is way where they they teach u to control the thoughts that disturb the mind. In short one should learn to take control over ur mind. One needs to attend a 10 day course for first time latter there are 3 days, 1 day course also and even longer duration courses are available but initially 10 day is compulsory. First 4 days are a difficult as one is not used to be alone and most important is without talking. U are cut off from the outside world. No Mobiles, no TV no newspaper and no talking.
But it is a good experience. I have done this course 2 times and a 3 day one too.
On the 10th day u will realise what u have achieved, till such a time one won't.

Give a try.

Regards

Meera

[quote=Sudha123 post_id=283723 time=1557723515 user_id=21192]
Hi,
Can someone give me details of vipasanna meditation? What is it all about? Can a beginner take it up. I have been asked to register for vipassana meditation by a friend. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Sudha
[/quote]