Can i do the mahamrityunjaya mantra for my father?

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Anonymous User
Contributor
Contributor
Can i do the mahamrityunjaya mantra for my father?

Post by Anonymous User » 07 Dec 2018

Namaste to all members,
My father is not ill..i want to do it for him so as to make his jupiter stronger( as in to be able to see what is wrong and what is right).
So i want to know if i can to the mahamrityunjaya mantra on his behalf without letting him know.
Is there a different procedure for that?
thank you.

murthys68
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can i do the mahamrityunjaya mantra for my father?

Post by murthys68 » 07 Dec 2018

Dear Kṛttika, Mahāmṛttyuñjaya mantra needs an initiation from Guru! Pronunciation is very crucial! If you are very interested in getting initiated, time will guide you! No worries! I'm not saying that girls shouldn't do & all! Who am I to say?
But as you are not initiated, I'd suggest you to chant the following mantra, which I shall write both in IAST format as well as in Saṃskṛtam

Mṛttyuñjayāya rudrāya nīlakanṭhāya śambhave|
Amṛteṣāya sarvāya mahādevāyate namaḥ||

मृत्युञ्जयाय रुद्राय नीलकन्ठाय शम्भवे।
अमृतेषाय सर्वाय महादेवायते नमः॥

Chant the above as it is! Your Janma Nakṣatra is Āśleṣa. So, it is highly recommended to start this when Moon is in Puṣyami Nakṣatram. Remember, whichever / whatever you start a divine things in this constellation, the results will have pronounced especially when mantrās are concerned, I can't describe it in words.
Puṣyami is good both from your Lagna Nakṣatra as well as from your Moon Nakṣatra! From both of them, you have Tārābalam & also you've Candrabalam too! :D
As Puṣyami adidevata is Deva Guru (Bṛhaspati). SO, 1st pray to lord Vināyaka, next to Bṛhaspati & then finally chant that Mantra in a good time on that prescribed Moon's constellation day
Regards
Namaḥśśivāya!

Anonymous User
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anonymous User » 07 Dec 2018

[quote=murthys68 post_id=273977 time=1544253446 user_id=20797]
Dear Kṛttika, Mahāmṛttyuñjaya mantra needs an initiation from Guru! Pronunciation is very crucial! If you are very interested in getting initiated, time will guide you! No worries! I'm not saying that girls shouldn't do & all! Who am I to say?
But as you are not initiated, I'd suggest you to chant the following mantra, which I shall write both in IAST format as well as in Saṃskṛtam

Mṛttyuñjayāya rudrāya nīlakanṭhāya śambhave|
Amṛteṣāya sarvāya mahādevāyate namaḥ||

मृत्युञ्जयाय रुद्राय नीलकन्ठाय शम्भवे।
अमृतेषाय सर्वाय महादेवायते नमः॥

Chant the above as it is! Your Janma Nakṣatra is Āśleṣa. So, it is highly recommended to start this when Moon is in Puṣyami Nakṣatram. Remember, whichever / whatever you start a divine things in this constellation, the results will have pronounced especially when mantrās are concerned, I can't describe it in words.
Puṣyami is good both from your Lagna Nakṣatra as well as from your Moon Nakṣatra! From both of them, you have Tārābalam & also you've Candrabalam too! :D
As Puṣyami adidevata is Deva Guru (Bṛhaspati). SO, 1st pray to lord Vināyaka, next to Bṛhaspati & then finally chant that Mantra in a good time on that prescribed Moon's constellation day
Regards
Namaḥśśivāya!
[/quote]

Namaste murthys68,
For the mahamrityunjaya mantra i know the pronounciation well..it's been exaclty a year since i came to know about this mantra...but even then i cannot do it on my own?

And for the other mantra you told me about..here is a youtube link so that you can check whether the pronounciation is how it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAsGkINKFk

So i found a date when moon will be in pushya nakshatra( btw by pushyami you mean pushya nakshatra right?) it's on 24 dec around 5 p.m(mauritian time) moon enters the pushya nakshatra. Then first i need to pray to lord ganesha then to brhaspati( with mantra or simply doing a mental prayer) then i chant this mantra you gave me. But i want to do it for my father..is there something extra that i need to do?
Do i have to do it just like mentioned in this article:
https://www.hindu-blog.com/2018/05/can- ... anted.html

But could you tell me what is the difference between this mantra and the mahamrityunjaya mantra?

thank you!
Om namah shivaya!

murthys68
Contributor
Contributor

Post by murthys68 » 09 Dec 2018

Kṛttika Of course, Pronunciation is crucial! Vedic hymns are to be with Svarās along with pronunciation!
Svarās can be learned from the people who learned Veda! Svara includes Anudātta, Udātta, Svarita.
The above verse doesn't need any svaram! Thus, you can chant!
In the above given video, of course there is mispronunciation! In the second line starting word is mispronounced!
It is to be pronounced as Aṃṛta not Amrita or Amruta! For this to get in practice chant मृ, Mṛ, Mṛ next chant Aṃṛta (अमृतम्)

Nope! You should not do Mahāmṛtyuñjaya mantra on your own! It takes minimum 4 to 5 months for a normal person to chant Vedic hymns with "Svara" which includes Anudātta, Udātta, Svarita! I still remember, it took 3 months to chant a word for me! All will think it is easy & simple! 2nd lord shouldn't be afflicted for such!
Hey, I think the above video was chanted by some North Indian! Generally, the pronunciation is little harder for them!
Even I've checked with the google pronunciation. It is mispronouncing.
Yup! Puṣyami is same as Puṣya.
I've checked the date!
Kṛttika, you can chant the above Mantra on February 25th at 11:32 A.M. to 12:32 P.M. However, I suggest that you to chant the above mantra before 12:05 P.M. (Mauritius time!)
The reason why I've chosen that time:
(i) 9th Lord Mars in lagna & Mars has an aspect from Jupiter from 9th house Scorpio! 1st lord & 9th lord are in Parivartana yogam (exchange of 1st & 9th lords). Jupiter, Mars association or Parivartana, in general any relationship between them is highly auspicious them especially for Mīna lagnam & Meṣa lagnam!
(ii) 5th lord of Mantra Upāsana is in 5th house! That too 5th lord Moon is in auspicious Puṣyami Nakṣatram.
(iii) 5th lord Moon has a 9th aspect from Jupiter (lagna lord as well as 10th lord). Moon especially in 4th quarter (or pāda) of Puṣya has a high emphasis on Mantrās are concerned.
There are negatives in that Muhūrta too!
(i) Lagna is afflicted by Gulika & Māndi!
(ii) Rāhu is conjunct with 5th lord in 5th house.

But, Jupiter has an aspect on 1st & also he is aspecting Moon! So, the effects could get mitigate.

Coming to your doubt, Mahāmṛtyuñjaya mantra is originally from ṛgvedam & you can find the same in Yajurvedam as well i.e., in Rudra Praśna or Namakam!

The above given verse also has the same power! So, you can chant! I've given the above because you didn't get initiated! That's why. But you chant the above! That is well & good. That too when Moon is especially in Cancer in Puṣyami.

Anonymous User
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anonymous User » 09 Dec 2018

Namaste murthys68,
I think you have got the wrong birth details.
Because my 9th lord is jupiter and 5th lord is mars. I have cancer lagna.

thank you. :)
Last edited by ChandraLagna on 10 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

murthys68
Contributor
Contributor

Post by murthys68 » 09 Dec 2018

Kṛttika, I was talking about Muhūrta time as I've prescribed for chanting!
i.e., on December 25th 2018
11:32 A.M. to 12:32 P.M.
Of course
Pisces Ascendant with Jupiter in 9th & 9th lord Mars in Lagna! 5th lord Moon in 5th house 8)
I know your birth details as you've mentioned earlier itself but I'm not seeing that w.r.t. your Moon's constellation I thought 25th could be a good time!
I hope you got it

Anonymous User
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anonymous User » 10 Dec 2018

Ohh ok then..but the problem is that 25feb will be monday and i will be in school.
as from 8 jan school will resume up to 29 march.
Is there any possiblities for before 8 jan or otherwise any saturdays or sundays during school term?

murthys68
Contributor
Contributor

Post by murthys68 » 10 Dec 2018

Kṛttika, the mentioned date is on December 25th & in the above mentioned Mauritius time zone, the Hora will be Guru Hora. It's not 25th February.
December 25th 2018 from 11:32 A.M. Recommended to start before 12:05 P.M.
So, definitely it is before January 8th
Hope it's clear

Anonymous User
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anonymous User » 10 Dec 2018

Dear murthy ji,
thank you a lot for your help. :)

Anonymous User
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anonymous User » 20 Dec 2018

Namaste murthy,
i have a question. After i do the mantra the first day as you told me to..then at what time shall i do it on the following days?