query regarding chanting navagraha mantras for all planets daily

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
jcdenton
query regarding chanting navagraha mantras for all planets daily

Post by jcdenton » 28 Jul 2018

Greetings,

I was wondering if it is fine for anyone to chant vedic navagraha mantras for all the planets(for e.g. thrice daily) irrespective of the benefic or malefic positions of these planets in one's birth chart. Or are there any restrictions or initial criteria that an individual must fulfill before he/she chants these mantras for all the planets?

I would appreciate if any of the learned members in this forum can share their insight and suggestions in this regard.

Thanks

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Re: query regarding chanting navagraha mantras for all planets daily

Post by tejomaya » 28 Jul 2018

Unless you have a teacher who can teach you the proper svaras of the Vedic mantras,it would be better to chant the Puranika mantras instead. The Navagraha stotra composed by Maharshi Vyasa can be chanted anytime as is there in the stotra itself.

Nora
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Nora » 28 Jul 2018

Hi JCdenton

You can chant Navagraha mantras but yes pronunciation is crucial. However, intention is even more crucial. For example if one is able to pronunce correctly but does it without faith or half heartedly, then it's actually less effective than one who has full faith but with somewhat passable pronunciation. Of course, for foreigners it's a bit tricky to learn to pronounce it, but they also have a bit of a lenience from these planets, as long as they sincerely try. If a person who can pronounce it well (has an Indian tongue) and does not do it well or doesn't try hard, then obviously not good.

So, what I've learnt from my Guru is that to increase the effects of Navagraha mantras and to reduce any malefic effects related to their mispronunciation, one can chant them along with the accompanying deity who rules the particular planet.

For example, moon is Lord Vishnu, Ketu is Ganesha, Mars is Hanuman and also Lord Kartikeya (Subramaniya) etc, Shani is Hanuman and Shiva, Jupiter is Dakshinamurthy or any Guru whom you take to be your Guru, Mercury is Vishnu, Venus is Shiva, Sun is Gayatri and Lord Rama, Rahu is Goddess Kali...

So, when you say Navagraha Mantra before and after the mantra you chant the Mantra of the particular deity, so that it creates a sort of sandwich. This ensures that any malefic effects of pronunciation etc is taken care by the deity whose Mantra you chant and invoke.

If you have a Guru in physical or spirutual form, then you can use their mantra (given by them to you during Deeksha if at all) in stead of the deity Mantra.

So, yes, rather than chanting it alone, it's always better to go for a protective approach.

Another thing is that usually if you chant the Navagraha Mantra 9 times each Mantra it's more beneficial. You can also do 18, 27 etc but 9 is minimum and keep it 9 multiples. Thrice is ok but a bit less. 9 has a mystical significance when it comes to Navagrahas, that's why the 9 planets and the 27 nakshatras.

Kind regards,

Nora

shaktichalini

Post by shaktichalini » 28 Jul 2018

Hi jcdenton
Everyone doesn't have the authority to chant vedic mantra and as per the previous replies correct pronunciation is a must in vedic mantra and many ritual aspect is connected with it which can't be ignored. Instead he puranic mantra and tantric mantra can be done along with procedure to have the full effect.
There is also a simple procedure and blesses the native where you can calculate the hora timings of the planets on the particular day and in each hora chant the mantra connected to the particular planet 108 times like in surya hora chant "Om Sooryaay namah likewise Om Chandraaya Namaha in moons hora, Om Angaarakaaya Namaha, Om Budhaaya Namaha, Om Guruve Namaha, Om Sukraaya Namaha, Om Saneesvaraaya Namaha during their respective horai periods.It doesnt take much time.
But if there is time constraints then you can chant for only one planet a day wrt to the prevailing day in the particular hora alloted to it. Example for monday chant only chandra mantra in its hora, on tuesday only mangal mantra etc.
Lastly according to meru tantra chanting the mantra of graha mata(mother of the planets), malefic planet doesn't affect the native and if the graha mata is unhappy then even the auspicious planets doesn't give desired results. The mothers of respective planets are as follows and they all have different mantras:
Sun-Pingala
Moon-Mangala
Mars-Bhramari
Mercury-Bhadrika
Jupiter-Dhaanyaa
Venus-Siddhaa
Saturn-Ulka
Rahu-Sankataa
Ketu-Viktaa

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton » 29 Jul 2018

thanks shaktichalini for your detailed response. can you kindly elaborate further the following line that you have mentioned in your post:

"puranic mantra and tantric mantra can be done along with procedure to have the full effect"

I would also appreciate if you may kindly share your ideas and observations about chanting the puranic navagraha mantras for all the planets thrice daily as a specific remedial measure for malefic effects in one birthchart.

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton » 29 Jul 2018

Thanks for your quick response.

I would appreciate if anyone can share their insights specifically on the effectiveness of chanting puranic navagraha mantras(composed by maharishi vyasa) thrice daily for all planets as a remedial measure for malefic afflictions in one's birth chart.

Regards

shaktichalini

Post by shaktichalini » 29 Jul 2018

Hi jcdenton
By "puranic mantra and tantric mantra can be done along with procedure to have the full effect" I meant simply to follow the requisite rule laid down by the shashtra. The purana are filled with divine knowledge and can be correlated with tantra sashtra. Same is the case with mantra. With regard to navagraha mantra the puranic mantra are propitiating in nature. They are more like salutation,prayer to these divine planet. For these mantra bhavapurna uccharan is a must(also if there is any rule given that must be followed). For tantric mantra of planets we have to see if the particular mantra you choose is anukool(favourable) or not called mantra vichaar. There are various mantra of a planet and to see if its favourable we have to see the kulakul chakra.rashi chakra.rini-dhani chakra etc. and then proceed. The favourable mantra should be heard from the guru three times and then repeated back to guru three times. If one doesn’t have a guru then consider aadiguru shiva as guru and mentally hear the the mantra 3 times from him and repeat the same mentally 3 times. After that there is mantra sanskaar and various ritualistic process to attain siddhi for particular mantra. Otherwise people chant mantra all the times and doesn’t get required benefit. We can’t accept one part and leave the other part. This is the simple rule that is adopted regarding these mantra. Also bhakti and faith plays a vital role along with the procedures.
For second part I think you can recite daily three times. Also there is navagrah stotra by Maharishi Ved Vyasa ji for the same. Also for pacifying planets we have to see how the planets is producing malefic result. If a planet is akarak then instead we should pacify the the planet who is friendly to that particular planet who could help in bringing the strength of that akarak planet down. If a planet is exalted and producing bad result then we should do something to bring its strength down. There are different scenario where sometimes we have to chant a particular mantra and in other case we have to do daan(donate) karma wrt to planets. It all depends how the planet is behaving in the chart.
PS:Its my view wrt things I have read and understood…I may be wrong and there may be something more to it. So other views are always welcomed.

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton » 04 Aug 2018

Thanks for your response.

Does anyone has to consider the planetary positions in his birth chart before selectively chanting the puranic (compiled by maharishi vyas) navagraha mantras?

For instance, if moon and rahu are exalted and venus is debilitated in one's chart, then should he chant puranic navagraha mantras for all planets or should he chant selectively?

I would appreciate if anyone can share their insights in this regard.

Thanks

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tejomaya » 05 Aug 2018

Both should be chanted. The regular navagraha stotra can be chanted once a day or once per sandhya and the specific graha to be pacified/pleased should have its mantra recited as many times as is needed( depends on the graha).I specifically use the Sanskrit term instead of saying planets here since the graha are not just the physical bodies which are visible in the sky- without the right attitude, results will not come.

Also, the answer to the question of which graha needs to be pacified/pleased depends on the life situation and a more detailed analysis of the horoscope.