What should an astrologer do in this case? Ethics of astrology

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Nora
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
What should an astrologer do in this case? Ethics of astrology

Post by Nora » 19 Jul 2018

Hi Astro gurus and learned members

I'm wondering that if an astrologer knows that someone is going to die and death is near, should the astrologer reveal it to the native or his/her family or not?

I mean yes it's unethical to tell anyone about their death I agree...only god has the ultimate say in this matter

But on the other hand, this person if he/she knows that death is inevitable then at least they can be given time to do some things before they die...for example, go to kashi or Gaya or wherever sacred they want to go, do charity and cleansing their soul, also maybe take time to say goodbye to their near and dear ones and write will etc.
These last minute things might bring them some inner peace and also give them a chance to pray effectively in terms of cleansing their soul or praying for a better life in the next birth...

Even a doctor has to unfortunately tell the patient that he/she will die if his disease has spread too much and if the treatment won't work anymore. Even a lawyer has to tell his client if the case won't be successful anymore...I mean of course these things aren't to do with spirituality and perhaps still at surface level...but since astrology has to do also with spirituality, isn't it better to equip the person with honest knowledge about their life?

I know of one astrologer who told a guy that he has only a few weeks left and the guy managed to do all pending things including some rituals and sacred trips before his death...he even made some provisions for his death like how he wants to be cremated etc...

So, I'm curious what all learned astrologers here think about this sensitive topic...if you have any experiences then please share...

Kind regards

Nora

tejomaya
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What should an astrologer do in this case? Ethics of astrology

Post by tejomaya » 19 Jul 2018

The link shared by Hari766 here is highly relevant. Speaking from personal experience when I was undergoing AShtama Shani, I was told by more than one astrologer that I would never be happy in this lifetime(because of my horoscope- not my attitude). Today they serve as examples to me of how not to deal with someone who has come to you for help.

Just like counsellors, astrologers too need to do internal cleaning. The more sadhana an astrologer does, his/her intuition and satvik nature also improves. I have actually seen the difference.

In my own case, I have been told "no danger to life until this age" . Beyond that the dasha when my current incarnation is likely to end starts. Thats an excellent way to put it.

Beyond this, the last thoughts a person before leaving the body are supposed to determine future births(or moksha). Also tradition suggests donation of land,gold etc on the death bed- something which could take a lot more time nowadays.

So IMHO it would be a very good thing to inform someone who is prepared or can prepare for his/her final days(age,mental state and maturity also matter) . Also the astrologer needs to be good to avoid doing more harm than good.

Nora
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Nora » 19 Jul 2018

Agree with you Tejomaya Ji and thanks Hari for the link...will read it

vedam33
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by vedam33 » 21 Jul 2018

Astrologer will warn about the impending I'll health and it is the person should understand and act accordingly