Remedies in vedic astrology

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
kanyalagna
Remedies in vedic astrology

Post by kanyalagna » 05 Jan 2018

Hello!

I thinking about remedies - are they working really, or not.

I can see lots of questions about weak, afflicted planets, houses, etc.
I've been noticed, the answers often sounds like the questioner should believe in God, marriage late, wait for a good period, and he or she can change the bad situation.

In Western astrology there is a theory, that every position have more dimension.
For an example: a person with Pisces stellium, can be addict to medicines, but also, if he or she working hard, can be a doctor. A person with Leo stellium can be egoistic, but if he or she working on this, can change the personality, and he or she become generous.

I believe in God, so what do you think, how it works in vedic astrology? Our destiny is engraved in stone, or we can change it ? (Of course, taking account our limits.)

Regards, kanyalagna

joyd

Re: Remedies in vedic astrology

Post by joyd » 05 Jan 2018

Free will or destiny ? is your question. i experienced that your free will also under the control of your destiny.coming to remedies, some will work very effectively provided you have blessings from 5-9 th lords and houses.Always better to travel along the path of destiny or flow of destiny.Diversions in this flow may create new problems too.If you believed in western follow it.

joyd.

Suresh_Chauhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Suresh_Chauhan » 05 Jan 2018

Yes, of course, you can change destiny to a great extent, mostly as you said by working on specific things that are weak or need improvement. Horoscope is only a static picture, a blueprint , at birth - the day to day karma of a person is constantly updating that roadmap, modifying it. And this is the part that most astrologers miss, they get caught up in predictions, not realizing that if a person did 50 bad karmas in his first 20 years of life, most of the good yogas in the chart will not fructify. The modifiers along with planet transits and karmic updates, all need to be also considered simultaneously

See, western thought originated with Greco-Roman foundation of evidence-based knowledge systems and the advancement of mankind thru progressive development - I think, therefore I am. This application of knowledge at every step leads to measurable results that can be used to make concrete improvements.

Eastern traditions are more inclined towards 'let things take their own course' and this different mindset is also ingrained in the culture. Vedic astrology is no different. What is missing are the modifiers - life today is vastly different than 5000 years ago, so the applications must also change. But the remedies have not been updated to be suitable to modern man unfortunately.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 05 Jan 2018

kanyalagna wrote:
05 Jan 2018
Hello!

I've been noticed, the answers often sounds like the questioner should believe in God, marriage late, wait for a good period, and he or she can change the bad situation.

In Western astrology there is a theory, that every position have more dimension.
For an example: a person with Pisces stellium, can be addict to medicines, but also, if he or she working hard, can be a doctor. A person with Leo stellium can be egoistic, but if he or she working on this, can change the personality, and he or she become generous.

I believe in God, so what do you think, how it works in vedic astrology? Our destiny is engraved in stone, or we can change it ? (Of course, taking account our limits.)

Regards, kanyalagna
Hi,
In my opinion, the whole premise is wrong because a person making a query about something in "this life", like not getting married, for example, is not aware that he is seeking to correct something that can possibly be traced to the karma of many, many past births. So in that perspective, all remedies are effective, but as to whether the effects must be visible right in this life, and within the next year, as someone might want, it cannot be predicted easily, since it could involve changing the course of karma performed over thousands of years (many janmas). But that need not detract a person from performing "Sattvic remedies" since such a person is treading a path with minimum pitfalls, and that ultimately is to his good. And the Devatas are certainly extremely powerful, hence it is advised to pray or do other sattvic remedies which, under certain circumstances has the power to give the desired solution, as expected, though the past karma that originally led to the issue, would still have to be endured, either in this janma or some future jammas.

From another (advaitic) perspective, all these Gods/goddesses to which these remedies are addressed, and all these "other people" are essentially, within oneself, hence any performance of remedies, if done with a selfish aim (ie not nishkaama which is rather difficult in practice) will only lead one to "greater darkness than ever before" and hence, for one who desires Moksha, performing remedies is strongly discouraged. Instead the Upanishads advise the person to consider his worldly sufferings as Tapasya and bear them solidly. For such a person the only remedy is constant recital of "OM" kaara.

kanyalagna

Post by kanyalagna » 06 Jan 2018

I read the answers.

Dear Joyd,
Because I learn Vedic and Western also, my opinion is that they are more similar like you think. :)
They are complement each other. Western astrology sometimes has a tendency that make the predictions too abstract. Vedic Astrology is more naturalistic. That's why I learn both of them.

Dear Suresh,
I agree with you. I really loved your last sentence. I can se many people, who take advantage of the remedies don't suitable for 21th century. It would be important to find these remedies, because this remedies could be help make life better, meanwhile the person face his or her destiny also.

Dear Hari,
I think, that remedies only works if somebody do it with pure heart. For an example, it's not a true charity, if somebody make this just because she or he wants to look better in the society. It's more like hypocrisy than charity.

Regards,
Kanyalagna

jravi

Post by jravi » 06 Jan 2018

Namaste jyotishis,

I am not a jyotishi. But I have a few observations. Me an enthusiast of jyotish for past 15 yrs.

I find this conversation so extremely interesting and worth-while that I'm inclined to write the following:

1. I have heard that mantra-bhava or 5th house and its lord play a vital role in prarthanas/pariharas paying fruit in this birth itself. This is in line with madam joyd has mentioned above.

2. How about planets that mature at different ages? Jupiter matures at 16 years of age, the Sun at 21, the Moon at 24, Venus at 25, Mars at 28, Mercury at 32, Saturn at 36, Rahu at 42 and Ketu at 48. So given this, shouldn't we view the jathakam as a conglomeration of planets that 'evolve' at various stages of life, thus producing different results perhaps?

3. Having faced struggles on professional front, I did quite some pariharas in the last year to overcome these obstacles (made a recent post here in this very forum with details). If I get a good job in upcoming months, I am sure it is the result of these pariharas. Jyotishis are known not to agree with each other for the most part. But, coming to my chart, many good astrologers all have agreed as to the bad disposition of my current mahadasha lord Venus. Therefore, I think that any good from Venus in upcoming months/years must be from my own pariharas.

Thanks.

SWARNIM
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by SWARNIM » 06 Jan 2018

hari766 wrote:
05 Jan 2018
kanyalagna wrote:
05 Jan 2018
Hello!

Regards, kanyalagna
Hi,
In my opinion, the whole premise is wrong because a person making a query about something in "this life", like not getting married, for example, is not aware that he is seeking to correct something that can possibly be traced to the karma of many, many past births. So in that perspective, all remedies are effective, but as to whether the effects must be visible right in this life, and within the next year, as someone might want, it cannot be predicted easily, since it could involve changing the course of karma performed over thousands of years (many janmas). But that need not detract a person from performing "Sattvic remedies" since such a person is treading a path with minimum pitfalls, and that ultimately is to his good. And the Devatas are certainly extremely powerful, hence it is advised to pray or do other sattvic remedies which, under certain circumstances has the power to give the desired solution, as expected, though the past karma that originally led to the issue, would still have to be endured, either in this janma or some future jammas.

From another (advaitic) perspective, all these Gods/goddesses to which these remedies are addressed, and all these "other people" are essentially, within oneself, hence any performance of remedies, if done with a selfish aim (ie not nishkaama which is rather difficult in practice) will only lead one to "greater darkness than ever before" and hence, for one who desires Moksha, performing remedies is strongly discouraged. Instead the Upanishads advise the person to consider his worldly sufferings as Tapasya and bear them solidly. For such a person the only remedy is constant recital of "OM" kaara.
Perfect explanation. Thanks for sharing it in such a simple way.

Regards.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 11 Jan 2018

Hari

Just a tweak about your assertion on remedies.

All the remedies propounded in Vedic Astrology essentially gives dharmic rays and hence can even counteract dark forces within oneself, about 20%. The other 80% depends on the inherent nature of the person, like yogas in our chart etc.

Hence remedies strengthen the goodness of a person but it does not usually add extra goodness. Saints on the other hand, do not even need the remedies to strengthen the goodness in them like they never need depend on Vastu as Vastu which is a science of space and which comes under Jupiter and Jupiter's energy is usually already imbibed by the saint. But there are degrees of saintliness but adding extra good forces does not come under that purview, only strengthening good forces as already mentioned.

Also remedies never add dark forces because they promote dharmic rays and dark forces are simply rays with its composition structure gone wrong.

Adding extra goodness, however, does happen when there is grace of God through fortuitious circumstances (scriptures also mention thar) or by assiduous practice of yogic practices like waking up in the morning to pray, meditating under a peepal tree, reading scriptures etc. I would not consider these yogic practices as remedies.

Yogic practices ensure the interaction between the outer Parabrahma and your inner Atma.

Rgds
Khoo

Ashram
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by Ashram » 12 Jan 2018

Is it possible to have a remedy to avoid something that is generally perceived to be a good thing? For example, is there a 'remedy' to avoid a possible second marriage?

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 12 Jan 2018

Hi Khoo,

All the remedies owe their strength and sustenance to God. The constant rememberance of God and sincer offer of results of our performance to the Lord, can correct even very big errors in our performance of any remedy, simple or complex. It can also put us onto the right path. Whereas, if we rely only on our smartness and perform diverse remedies, attributing specific results to specific actions, in a calculative fashion, we will end up in a maze from which there is no escape and lose our precious inner peace. This, as I understand it, is the message eloquently put by Lord Krishna in the Gita.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Note - I am not criticising your post. But the world of Vedic remedies is vast and complex. Why land up a slave to remedies, when their creator, is ever with us, offering a hand of friendship!

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 12 Jan 2018

Talking about fortuitous circumstances (grace of God), this is more likely to occur during auspicious moments and locations (date, time and place). But again, the saint depends less on this. For example a totally accomplished saint can simply call on the grace of God by the force his soul and mind (the Sun and Moon which are not involved in planetary wars). Jupiter which represents Lord Shiva reincarnated to help all mankind regardless of race and creed, comes a close second, and is found in the saint also to a higher degree as already explained earlier.

Rgds
Khoo

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 12 Jan 2018

To enhance Jupiter within oneself, one must lead a pure life. Butnotice Jupiter is not the only available channel for help. The Sun and Moon are 1st choices. So in Vedic, we are really part of God in the truest sense of the word.

And back to the subject of Vedic remedies (just now we were on the topic of fortuitous circumstances), just by the fact we are using them, we already have God in mind. They are not black magic, they are Vedic remedies.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Khoo

Your message is not clear. The grace of God is possible anytime, anyplace, and when that happens, it is an auspicious moment, irrespective of what your calculations say. I dont think anybody said anything about black magic. And it's not only Jupiter, but the Sun and Moon also represent Lord Shiva as his Ashtamoorthi forms.

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

kanyalagna wrote:
06 Jan 2018
Dear Hari,
I think, that remedies only works if somebody do it with pure heart. For an example, it's not a true charity, if somebody make this just because she or he wants to look better in the society. It's more like hypocrisy than charity.

Regards,
Kanyalagna
Dear Kanyalagna,
You are right, the purity of heart comes from the sacrifice element in the charity, the value that the thing that is given out, has for us. You might have heard the story recited by the mongoose at the end of the Ashwamedha yaga conducted by king Yudhishtira. But even the other kind of charity has its merits, as some kind of action (giving up) is considered better than inaction (hoarding).