Practical remedies irrespective of birth chart

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Re: Practical remedies irrespective of birth chart

Post by Saindhavi » 13 Jul 2012

Tiwari,

I have read that essay and also critiqued it.

Vedic Dasi doesn't negate the fact that women had right to compose hymns and to make decisions about their lives.

All women were not dasis. The trouble with stree shastra is that it virtually treats all women as dasis of the men in their families.

Sudarshang,

That's precisely what I said - it's everyone's free will to decide what s/he wants to follow. You said that everyone must follow the Dharmashastra, whether one likes it or not.

Don't change your argument now.

My keyboard is not working. I'm not able to type more.

Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

Tiwari

Post by Tiwari » 13 Jul 2012

Saindhavi wrote:Vedic Dasi doesn't negate the fact that women had right to compose hymns and to make decisions about their lives.

All women were not dasis. The trouble with stree shastra is that it virtually treats all women as dasis of the men in their families.
Agreed.

The essay doesn't address a lot of things, neverthless is a classic.

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » 13 Jul 2012

Saindhavi wrote:
Sudarshang,

That's precisely what I said - it's everyone's free will to decide what s/he wants to follow. You said that everyone must follow the Dharmashastra, whether one likes it or not.

Please

Don't change your argument now.

My keyboard is not working. I'm not able to type more. [/color]
Please kindly show where I have said "must follow".... and "whether one likes it or not". But I still maintain, individual choice = individual karma = karmic consequences.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 13 Jul 2012

Hi SriRama:

What you said is interesting and an ideal situation.

A positive frame of mind which has shed ego, anger and revenge attitude and does charity of course satvik charity meaning there is no ego in giving away the charity and does it without any publicity, treating all alike whether male or female, young or old, educated or otherwise, poor or rich, ugly or beautiful and so on, helping innocent and helpless animals like cows (who are also holy) and others like dogs, cats, crows etc would help significantly in burning away prarabhda when done using your freewill without bothering about your past karmas or horoscope and making this as a habit. But it is easier said than done.

Dev

2002diksha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by 2002diksha » 13 Jul 2012

sir,
hinduism is the best religion till date because of its ever evolving nature and the degree of protection and safety it offers to women.no religion can boost to treat women with dignity and respect . off course there are abberations. but if see the overall way hindu men treat women it is very much superior and they treat women with much dignity. so hindu and astrology as its branch helps to maintain the exact fabric of society by laying our strict rules for conduct for both man and women. coming to freewill and fate,i think in bad marriages freewill should work because it is the only way to work with a positive frame of mind and offer solutions to a swinging marriage. fate does its job but its the quota of freewill that will help a person to see things in a fresh light and solve problem in a straight manner.
regards

Hari76

Post by Hari76 » 15 Jul 2012

Dear Sri Rama,

May I add a couple more effective remedies for "mental peace" -

Don't compare yourself with others beyond a reasonable extent. (Now what is reasonable!)
Don't live per the expectations of others beyond a reasonable extent (Now what is reasonable! That one has to decide)

Hari76

Post by Hari76 » 15 Jul 2012

Acc to Sri (Adi) Shankaracharya, the below remedies are effective

Recital of Gita, therebymastering it even to a small extent
Recital of Sahasranama (presumably Vishnu Sahasranama, as Vishnu is all-pervasive)
Meditation on the image of Vishnu, husband of Lakshmi the giver of abundance
Seeking the acquaintance and companionship of Sajjanas (Sat-sangha)
Donating one's wealth towards charity

Humannature

Post by Humannature » 02 Aug 2012

sinecurve wrote:Excellent post !

14a) Please also treat Men with dignity and respect, not just women. 8) :)

LOL...

Tiwari

Post by Tiwari » 02 Aug 2012

Humannature wrote:
sinecurve wrote:Excellent post !

14a) Please also treat Men with dignity and respect, not just women. 8) :)

[/quote
LOL...
Not a bad point from any point. 8)

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 02 Aug 2012

Hari:

Yes that is a good one.
All of them are easy except the one below:
Seeking the acquaintance and companionship of Sajjanas (Sat-sangha)

When we go to so called satsangha we only see people again gossipping, talking about money, sarees, jewels and so on totally about materialistic things.

M ay be upanyas, and you have to listen and not get perturbed by others talk.

In upanyas normally I see, some asleep, some talking all the time mainly gossips, some coming for sundal and the remaining are very few. They may be 5 - 10% of the overall crowd and form the core satsanga.

Dev

KET

Post by KET » 28 Aug 2012

[quote="Sudarshang"][quote="Saindhavi"]Ravi_iyer and Yellow,

What is the importance of offering arghya to sun? This story explain why! The Asuras did penance and acquired the boon from Brahma that they can fight and defeat the sun. But then if the Sun is defeated the world cannot live - therefore Brahma gave a counter boon to Sun that people should offer arghya and each drop of that arghya will become a lightning bolt and destroy the asuras. Therefore by giving arghya we are all helping the sun fight his war against the asuras. Pleased with the arghya we offer, the sun bestows us benefic results (because we have helped him in the war).

Sudarshang Ji

The boon given and with a rider states those Brahmins and the sacred thread wearing persons when they do arghyam along with chanting of mantras of Surya, Varuna, all navgrahas, vishnu namams, recalling all rishis associated in the sandhyavandanam through mantras and the most important is Gayatri Japa mantra in the trikala sandhyavandanam, Surya will be protected continuously( and hence the universe) , therefore Sun will not be defeated in the war.

There is another interpretation is, those who do not support this nitya karma anushtanam ( sandhya vandanam), they can avail debit balance in their Balance sheet of not performing these karmas and duties even though they are wearing sacred thread around the body.

[quote="Dev"]

In upanyas normally I see, some asleep, some talking all the time mainly gossips, some coming for sundal and the remaining are very few. They may be 5 - 10% of the overall crowd and form the core satsanga.

Devji

In Discourses or upanyas, ppl come for sleep, talking, gossiping around... it is bad. That speaks about the upbringing and as well the mindset on the religious discourses.

As a committee member, before a discourse begins, we inform ppl, this is a religious discourses like Sundara Kandam, Rukhmni Kalyanam, Ayyapan charithram, Kusela Bhagyanam, Marghendya charithram etc ,here speaking on mobile phones, chatting on Ipads, sleeping, gossiping etc aren't allowed. This not only distract the person from speaking on the subject, but also for the speaker to recollect the various stotrams and mantras associated in the topic .

Prasadam like Sundal etc should be eaten like Lord's prasad, because God's prasadam is for everybody, those who eat prasadam like a glutton, speaks about the greed and selfishness .

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 28 Aug 2012

Ket

In Discourses or upanyas, ppl come for sleep, talking, gossiping around... it is bad. That speaks about the upbringing and as well the mindset on the religious discourses.
I dont know if that is true, because even if parents come there children dont come there. Moreover people think it should start only after 60. Till then one should be more or less 100% mateiralistic.

As a committee member, before a discourse begins, we inform ppl, this is a religious discourses like Sundara Kandam, Rukhmni Kalyanam, Ayyapan charithram, Kusela Bhagyanam, Marghendya charithram etc ,here speaking on mobile phones, chatting on Ipads, sleeping, gossiping etc aren't allowed. This not only distract the person from speaking on the subject, but also for the speaker to recollect the various stotrams and mantras associated in the topic .
One of the committee member himself talks a lot during concerts and upanyas. Being a singer myself, I get too irritated when they talk during a concert. On three occassions, three different artists got up during concert and said, either you stop talking or I will stop playing the violin or singing or whatever.
Same with upanyas, distraction can make them forget. In fact a small 8 year old girl was running around and the upanyaskar got irritated and said to her mom, make her seated besides you or just dont bring her here.

Prasadam like Sundal etc should be eaten like Lord's prasad, because God's prasadam is for everybody, those who eat prasadam like a glutton, speaks about the greed and selfishness .
Who cares about the Lord, some people come 10 minutes before the prasad exclusively for the prasad.

Some genuine people are there for sure but even within those who come only say few are genuine.
I used to see a lady coming regularly for concerts, she herself has studied music honors but everytime she used to come and talk to her neighbour about sarees and earrings and so on and so loud too. So such people can never be corrected. She could as well have stayed at home instead of disturbing others.
That is why, I am able to believe now what people used to say few years back that some come to temple with other intentions, not to pray to God- I mean some not all.

Dev
Last edited by Dev on 30 Aug 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » 30 Aug 2012

Ket

It is because tge balance is running in the negative we are born amd made to go through samsara. Debit balance on top of this? When to leave the samsara then? Shouldn t ones's action be aligned towards crossing the ocean of samsara I nstead of falling into it again and again? It is with that good intention....

Sudarshan

Narayan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Narayan » 30 Aug 2012

Dear Ketji:

"Surya will be protected continuously( and hence the universe) , therefore Sun will not be defeated in the war."

Surya will be protected? Sun will not be defeated? All baseless...please pardon me. Surya needs no protection on its own. Asuras are not outside Ketji, but are inside us only..... :D

Ketji, you take any books or any upanishads or Mahodopanishads, all talks about the reality in an indirect way or crisp tone only, which makes it hard for one to find out the real meaning unless she/he is a jnani.

The same way when brahma tells Asura, it means "Asu Praneshu Indriyeshu Ramanthe Ithi Asuraha" One who is remaining in indriyas and tasting it is called as Asuraha or demons. So, when Brahma tells giving Arghaya can become a lightening bolt in killing Asuras means, Brahma is not telling about killing Asuras outward, but something which can help purify us.

Gayatri is chanted regularly to find out who am I? "Dhihi Yonah Prachodyath" Dhihi means Buddhi, enligten my buddhi is the meaning....means one continuously chant it in 1000s or more than that, one may get enlightened.

"Upa" "Nayanam" meaning third eye or the eye of Lord shiva. Hence upanayanam ceremony is done to find who are you only. That ceremony by giving upadesham is an initiation to know that Third eye in one. Know means to be in that is the meaning.

E.g. is Sri Bhuvaneswari Swamigal from Ambattur who went in Samadhi some years back. Swamiji's face looks like a red Apple to that of divine mother after swamiji chanted gayathri in penance crores of times before Red lotus divine mother gave darshan to swamiji.

Sun needs nothing from you...he knows how to protect himself... All festivals and all japas and all functions are done just to find who am I as through such japas and through divine intervention, we can find us.

When talking about universe and world, what is the base of all these? Does a universe or world exist if there is no mind in you? When you are in deep sleep, where is this sun? where is this moon and where is this world? So from where does the whole universe originated? Where is this universe standing?

Your talking of sun and Moon is like reflection of sun and Moon in a pot of water.

Dont worry too much about the universe or world. Whatever you see outward is not dependent on you or a single entity, it will function on its own whether you do something or not.

It is not dependent on you, but you are dependent on it.

Finally, if you want to have real progress, dont look at others and the world as the world has lots of vairudhyas (everything is different, not same). As one makes further progress towards reality, this world will show up more in terms of different appearances and resembleness which again is one of its kind of Maya. So many things may prop up, show up, may gossip, may expel...but, one should not ever put one's head into any of these things.

Regards,

Narayanan

KET

Post by KET » 30 Aug 2012

Sudarshang wrote:Ket

It is because tge balance is running in the negative we are born amd made to go through samsara. Debit balance on top of this? When to leave the samsara then? Shouldn t ones's action be aligned towards crossing the ocean of samsara I nstead of falling into it again and again? It is with that good intention....

Sudarshan
When one fallen into a Grahasta, supporting samsara (family) also fall into one's karma

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 30 Aug 2012

When one fallen into a Grahasta, supporting samsara (family) also fall into one's karma

Supporting karma is not falling into samsara. Nishkamya karma is not karma at all in the true sense since it will not lead to rebirth.

Being in the materialistic world one can be spiritual depending on his inner strength.

My father was an IAS but he was truely spiritual- absolutely no ego, simple, extremely honest, no desire for fame or money, no weaknesses not even betal leaves. I am not saying since he is my father, I am saying since it is truth. I am nowhere near that though.

In fact, when a person stole jewels worth several lakhs several years back when he was in service, he woke up to see that but later on went to office. It was my mother who gave police complaints.
He never brought even a piece of paper from office to home even by mistake but now I see in my office, I doubt if I can find atleast one person like that, including me. Also he was extremely decent in his behaviour with women. There was absolutely no loose talk or crossing limits. He lost his mother when he was 4 or 5 and my grandfather married again and that grandmother is alive now above 90 but he treated her as his own mother and her sons as his true brothers. They respect him so much and she crys even now when she is reminded of him.
He has also translated Rabindranath Tagore's writings into sanskrit since he was a scholar in sanskrit and also english. People used to call him Ajathashatru, a person who has no enemies.
He was never angry at anyone, never raised his voice, was simple to the core. He walked or travelled by bus and used cars only when the govt sent official vehicle.
He retired and taught people for free. Before his IAS where he was a rank holder, he had done MA maths where he was All India first but he had absolutely no ego and would talk to a servant maid like a friend.

Why I am quoting this is, one can live in this world like a person doing nishkamyakarma and like a saint not affected by external environment.

Dev

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » 31 Aug 2012

KET wrote:
Sudarshang wrote:Ket

Sudarshan
Sir, one may be grahastha which means he has willingly accepted the dharma of supporting the family. But shastras have not exempted him from performance of nitya naimithiga karma. In fact for a grhastha or even sanyasi, even though one may be a gnaani also, onemay be an expert in all the four vedas also, one may have even the tattvamasi vakya janya gnaanam also, non-performance will result in punishment. Of couse it leaves it to one's free will choice.... but Akarane Pratyavaayam for sure.

So when performance has hidden benefits of being a parihara for numerous planetary afflictions, and nonPerformance is discouraged through Pratyavaayam, why would one choose nonPerformance? Isn't it strange that instead of reaping this benefit, people keep running aroung asking for remedies?

Tiwari

Post by Tiwari » 31 Aug 2012

Dev wrote:One of the committee member himself talks a lot during concerts and upanyas. Being a singer myself, I get too irritated when they talk during a concert. On three occassions, three different artists got up during concert and said, either you stop talking or I will stop playing the violin or singing or whatever.
Unacceptable in all events. Terrible disrespect to music and whatever it signifies here and there.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 03 Sep 2012

Tiwari:
Unacceptable in all events. Terrible disrespect to music and whatever it signifies here and there.

Very well said. If we really like an art, we have to respect it, whether it be music, or dance,or drama or upanyas or whatever. Even during studies, most times when I concentrate, I dont like to be disturbed.
So those who come and talk come just to enjoy gossips and not the music or dance or whatever.
Sometimes I have gone to concerts where the singer comes in through influence, and sings with lot of mistakes, I dont talk even then, I wait for the first mistake which will be revealed in the very first minute, then I get up and go home.
Many people call me arrogant because of that but I am not at all so.
It is like asking a PhD person to teach school children and say LKG and UKG, how would he feel?
Good singers will not start from sa re ga ma, this the student has to learn from others. That does not make them arrogant.
But what I was saying was even for a very dedicated knowledgable singer, these set of people do the same thing.

Dev

Luckygirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Luckygirl » 09 Feb 2019

How can bedridden /disabled people follow nithyakarmanushtanams? Like taking bath and eating, feeding crows, etc?.
Why am I asking this, I am aware of the pancha maha yagnyas to be performed by us, but health (due to bad karmas) is interfering. So intention is there, but means?.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 11 Feb 2019

Bedridden /disabled people need not follow nithyakarmanushtanams they would be excused. For example fasting in ekadesi is not for people who are old, sick, bedridden, too young and have health issues.
So the intention is enough in such cases.
Just like one wold not expect donation from a poor people, expectations are not there from sick and unhealthy people.

AstroDrAnjna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by AstroDrAnjna » 11 Feb 2019

SriRama wrote:
10 Jul 2012
Hi All,

As a jyotish researcher, I have come across many astrologers that prescribe expensive gemstones/amulets as remedies.

IMHO, some of these remedies hardly work and all they do is drain your pockets. :lol:

I am definitely not against praying to God or finding solace in faith and hope, Infact, I strongly respect and recommend it. But spreading supersition in the name of Jyotish is not right.

There is no astrologer in this world that can decipher your chart to the T, explaining all the events from birth so it is quite possible that the gemstones/amulets that they suggest might be completely off track. :)

Getting back to basics, what is jyotish? It is the science of the soul. Our birth chart is a supposed to be a summation of karmas of all our previous lives and its present effects in this birth. How do we remedy a bad planet rather a bad bunch of planets :mrgreen:

1) Give up ego. Say thank you, please, sorry to everyone irrespective of their age and position.

2) Treat others MUCH BETTER than how you wish to be treated. Afterall, nobody leaves forever on earth and strive to make it a better place for everyone you interact with.

3) Learn forgiveness. Holding grudges creates unnecessary negative energy.

4) Do one good deed a day irrespective of what a bad day you had.

5) Practice charity within your limits. It is a great way to generate positive karma.

6) When someone is angry with you try to reason with the person and diffuse the situation rather than giving tit for tat. God is going to appreciate you for being nice even though the other person isn't.

7) Read Bhagavad Gita/Bhagavatam/Bible as all these are sciences of soul and they preach the same compassion, forgiveness, truthfulness and discipline.

8) Irrespective of what religion one follows, if one can't be a nice human being at the end of the day, none of these "remedies" will work.

9) Never never take advantage of others helplessness. Do not mock at downtrodden, poor and unfortunate people. If one takes advantage of them, what goes around will come around.

10) Always practice honesty even if the other party does not. People cannot be fooled all the time and one day their karma will catch up with them.

11) Never give tit for tat to anyone. By doing so, you are implicitly agreeing to stoop down to their levels.

12) Never gossip or spread bad words behind a person's back.

13) Help unfortunate animals, homeless people. Involve in community service, social work.

14) Treat women, domestic help with dignity and respect.

15) Good astrologers like PVR Narasimha Rao himself says that gemstones aren't a good idea as they are rajasik remedies and choosing wrong gemstones after paying lots of money might not be beneficial. All these are hardly prescribed by genuine astrologers and most would recommend praying to God, being humble and doing charity instead.

16) LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST, DO NOT RELY TOO MUCH ON ASTROLOGY. A lot can be changed through freewill and positive karma. PVR sir also admits that praying to God, working hard and doing good deeds is faaaaar better than consulting astrologers repeatedley as no astrologer is perfect.

Thanks,
SriRama
these are wonderful n really practical
may i copy this for others?
Thanx