Maha Mrityunjaya mantra

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Narayan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Narayan » 20 Sep 2009

Dear All:

Yes the right word is Badhanaat meaning bonds.

The very very important word in this mantra is "Ma Amritat"

The full explanation is as below:

Om Triambakam yajAmyahE sugandhim pushtivardhanam, urvarukamiva bandhanat mrutyormukshIya ma Amrutat

Om - the name of God, the linga of God, the rUpa of God. The space, the sound. All these are the meanings (only few out of one lakh meanings)

Triambakam - three eyed (Siva tatwa)

Triambaka - three ambAs - amba, ambika, ambAlika

yajAmyahE - aham yajAmi - mE yaj karthA hU. I am sacrificing -putting in the hoMa fire – offering to the fire – agni.

su - superfine, good (e.g. sukumAr, suhAsini etc)
gandhim – with smell - which is having divine smell, carrying smell, odour.

pushti - (salubrious) health. (not only physical but mental, social also) dhAtu, veerya, bindu, shukra(shukla), rEthas

vardhanam - helping to increase, gets increased

urvArUkam - cucumber (kaddhu) (ur = hruday, heart, pUr, puri, place, space, world)
iva - this / these
bandhanAt - bondage

mrutyu - death
mrytyor - from death
muksheeya - attain liberation
mAmritam - ma + amrutam (muksheeya mAmamrutam)

Oh, the supreme three eyed Lord, I sacrifice, I offer the three ambAs, amba, ambika and ambAlika in the homa kuNda – to the fire. The (super) odour from this increases my health and it leads to clear the blockades in my body and I escape from the threat of death which would cause by that block.

While it is burning in the fire, it exhales sugandhim which is pushtivardhak. When I do the hOma with these ambAs all my bondages get disconnected just like how the ripen cucumber, matured cucumber, disconnect itself from its (mother) creeper, just like that, I get disconnected from all my bonding creepers, my father, my mother, my wife, my husband, my children, my house, my car, my wealth, my bank balance, my position, my pride, my prestige, my ego …… these are the creepers which bonds me to the creepers. When cucumber gets disconnected from its mother-creeper, neither the mother creeper is knowing it nor the cucumber knows it. Both the sides are fully unaware of the process of getting disconnected. Just like that, I will get disconnected from this sansAr creepers. That is the state of amrutatwa.

Hence ma amritat becomes the very most important word here.

Ma means "do not", relieve me from Amrutatwa, but at the same time relieve me (Iva=like) a riped Cucumber getting cut off on its own from its root.

Narayanan

Narayan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Narayan » 24 Sep 2009

Please kindly submit all the thanks at the holy feet of Lord Shiva.

Regards,

Narayan

krissowmya

Post by krissowmya » 26 Nov 2009

Some one said my daughter has this rahu+moon combination in her chart and that is very bad.
Please gimme your expert comments too for her chart.

Her DOB details -05,november,2008 10:21 AM.
Should i chant Maha Mrityunjaya mantra for her?How many times a day?

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 23 Dec 2009

Just to give some inputs here. Anupamji suggested to me this mantra with absolutely dead straight pronunciations and words. It worked wonders for me in just one day. I was facing hurdles in my professional career and was about to resign considering the circumstances. But since last couple of days, things have turned absolutely positive in my favor and the top management is astonished to see my potential.

Regards
Sonu

Nitin21

Post by Nitin21 » 24 Dec 2009

Maheshji,

There are various versions available on net with one or two pronunciations here and there. This may not work. But Anupamji has experience of successful utilisation with the pronunciations. He can guide you through better.

Regards
Sonu

[quote="p.mahesh"]Sonuji,

"Anupamji suggested to me this mantra with absolutely dead straight pronunciations and words"

Where is this MMM available in correct form? Any reference,
may be in the net?

Regards,
Mahesh[/quote]

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Maha Mrityunjaya mantra

Post by kandhan » 03 Aug 2011

anupam1968 wrote:Actually remedies only work when the planet has any relation with fifth, ninth , eighth, twelfth house and last but not the least the aspect of Jupiter helps to ward off the malefic effects of the planet by adopting proper astrological measures. However, in my experience I think 8 th house must be ruled out.That is why most of the people complain that they are not getting the results in spite of using astrological measures.
Anupamji,

i feel you have touched on a very important point here.

is there any basis for this dictum in the classical works? should an astrologer always consider this dictum when suggesting remedies? what has been your experience? could you maybe do a comparison of two charts with similar problem where remedy worked in one case but didnot work in another because of this factor?
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 04 Aug 2011

Tnx for your explanation Anupamji.

anupam1968 wrote: But if you know the karmic reason of the said weaknesses then you can hit the nail right upon the head, but this all depends upon God's wish, unless you just grope into dark thinking this is the fixed karma and nothing can be done except to face the music. However, I am of the more than firm belief that if God desires then astrological combinations are mere technicalities that you decipher according to classical dictas.
Your method comes only with highly developed intuition.

digitsoftime

Post by digitsoftime » 04 Aug 2011

kandhan wrote:Tnx for your explanation Anupamji.

anupam1968 wrote: But if you know the karmic reason of the said weaknesses then you can hit the nail right upon the head, but this all depends upon God's wish, unless you just grope into dark thinking this is the fixed karma and nothing can be done except to face the music. However, I am of the more than firm belief that if God desires then astrological combinations are mere technicalities that you decipher according to classical dictas.
Your method comes only with highly developed intuition.
Kandhan ji,

This method requires great intelligence as well, apart from intuition.
The mere word 'pattern' is finding a resemblance in various degrees to a phenomenon that repeats in not so obvious ways. And it requires acumen to notice the queerest of patterns in a subject as complex as Karma. Don't you think?

regards,
Sunny

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 04 Aug 2011

Sunny

imho intelligence and intution are not separate. when the thought flows with effort its intelligence, without effort its intuition. thinking without thinking.

initially one has to look at the line and length of the ball, then decide on shot selection. that is at intelligence level. but when one does for say 10000 times then the shot selection is instant, fluid, effortless, that is intuition. :) :) . now , when this comes to one person more naturally in a field when compared to others. for example, for some its intellectual, for others its sports and so on. then they excel in that field.

as regards Karma, i dare not think about it. as you have rightly said, way too complex.

arbit

Post by arbit » 07 May 2012

I want to know what is the advantage of adding samput to the start and end of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
Om Haung Joon Sah ....mantra then Sah Joon Haung

bornhoaxer

Post by bornhoaxer » 15 Apr 2013

Hello all,

I have just started recited the MMM for improvement in my Mom's health, she is suffering from a near life threatening ailment.

However, the confusion regarding 'Bandhanaan' or 'Bandhanaat' still prevails in my mind. I went ahead to enquire with a priest at the Shiva temple who referred to his own reference material to give me 'Bandhanaan' as the right pronounciation. Anupam ji's version on the MMM was very useful, but at the same time, Narayan's version and explanation of the MMM was brilliant in understanding MMM's meaning. The below link as mentioned earlier in this thread discussion clarifies that both the words are correct-
http://www.indiadivine.org/showthread.p ... the-answer!!

My question is that does the MMM have a right or wrong way of pronounciation with respect to the specific word of 'Bandhanaan/Bandhanaat'. Priests give the ready answer of 'Bandhanaan'.

My inner voice tells me that using Bandhanaan would be more appropriate given its widespread usage. If somebody can give me a conclusive answer in this, it would be great.

Thank you.

bornhoaxer

Post by bornhoaxer » 16 Apr 2013

Ramanan ji,

Thank you for the link. It does give clarity upon the Mantra.

As a follow up question to my previous reply on the thread, it would be appropriate if the effectiveness mentioned by usage of 'Bandhanaat' is addressed in terms of sounding of the pronunciation. Since there are no audio versions available using 'Bandhanaat', I have explained my doubt below.

Today, as I was introducing my mother to this mantra, she had a logical doubt when I mentioned the word 'Bandhanaat' to her. She inquired about its Hindi/Sanskrit/Devanagiri equivalent pronunciation, with my ending 'Bandhanaat' with a 'th' which would give it a 'tha' (त) sound at the end, and ending it with a 't' would give it a 'ta' (ट) sound in the end.

Hence, people using 'Bandhanaat', if you could provide clarity as to the appropriate ending given the above doubt arising within the Devanagiri script, it would be very useful.

Thank you.

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 16 Apr 2013

Hi,

No question of T sound or TH sound.....It is Bandanaan and not bandanaat or bandhanaath at all

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 16 Apr 2013

Hi,

No question of T sound or TH sound.....It is Bandanaan and not bandanaat or bandhanaath at all

KET

Post by KET » 16 Apr 2013

Bornhoaxer ji

A mantra is not merely a union of letters. Their combination is a representation of inner energy. The energy within a seeker gets activated due to a mantra and acquires tremendous strength. The divine consciousness in a mantra is superior to the gross words in it. It is found that if one performs the chanting of a mantra infallibly and with assertion then one can experience the powerful energy in it and can achieve anything from detachment of greed to Self-realisation.

Sound is the basic component of creation and is based on the sciences of Music and Mantra. One should be able to recite them with the correct rhythm , syllabic foot , and measure of verse . Only then is the real benefit obtained.

A mantra should be obtained only from the Guru and should be chanted according to the science of Matras. A matra is that with which one realises the magnitude of the sound of words. The science of Matras, that is the correct pronunciation of the mantras as regards their notes such as aroha, avaroha, udatta, anudatta, svarit, prachay, etc. is of special importance. If there is an error in that then the deleterious effects

The mantra without proper pronunciation of vowels (svar) and consonants (varna), that is the utterance of a mantra in a faulty manner makes it faulty and does not convey the intended meaning. Instead it gets converted into a verbal thunderbolt and harms the one chanting it

An example of the above is an asura and Indra’s story. An asura prayed Brahma for more than 100years to get a child who is equivalent to Indra’s beauty and strength so that he can kill Indra and rule the Devalok. He started chanting mantra where pronunciation went awry for the asura, result Brahma gave him the boon on the chanting of mantras made by the asura. What happened was The compound word Indrashatru could have two meanings, one being “Indra’s enemy” (the slayer of Lord Indra) from Tatpurush Samas and “the one whose enemy is Lord Indra” (the one who will be slain by Lord Indra) from Bahuvrihi Samas. Since the first meaning was intended for Tvashta he had to utter the note of the last letter of the entire word in a lofty tone. He however, uttered the last letter of the first word in the Samas in a lofty tone. Consequently, instead of a son being born to slay Lord Indra, a son, Vrutra who would be killed by Lord Indra was born.

As I said earlier, again I repeat, Mantram(mouth,ear, etc) , Astrology (eye of Vedas), etc… angam( branch) of Vedas need to be practiced from a Guru (teacher), merely some one recommended in forums, and practicing or chanting from book creating lot of concerns and need to be evaluated in a critical way.
I suggest ( if I may), please call your home priest ( Guru) and do a Havan in your house for improvement in your mom’s health. You may consult with your Guru if he can perform a Rudra Abshikem ( 11 times) or Mahamrityanja Homam in your house. Again, MMM manta is upadeshed by Lord Shiva( teacher) to Shukra ( Guru of Asuras) in Shukra’s ear. This mantra of Lord Shiva is very sacred, it can chanted with appropriate utterance(sound), matras etc to a person’s ear ( should not be heard by anyone except sick person in death bed, otherwise this MMM mantra will loose the efficacy, as told by Lord Shiva to Shukracharya). I have learnt under Guru the Vedas etc, therefore I request you to contact your house priest and get his opnion rather than getting suggestion from forum on this scared Shiv mantra. During Rudra Abshikem, to please Lord Shiva MMM chanted eleven times in eleven different types of abhiskem on Shiv Lingam.
Therefore, like astrology chanting of mantrams require Guu’s blessings( Guru’s teachings or Guru’s help), unlike chanting of God and Goddess Stotrams

bornhoaxer

Post by bornhoaxer » 17 Apr 2013

Dear Ket ji,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

While reading it, a daejawoo occurred to me, I was taken back to a point an astrologer who stays nearby my home told me three days ago. He told me that unless and until Guru and Budha are strong in a chart, there can be absolutely no power of analysis present which can make a person an able astrologer. I did ask him as to whether I can join him while he undertakes classes in his university, while he did agree to it, at the same time, I did realise that despite constant learning and relearning of astrological principles from softwares, websites and forums, unfortunately or fortunately, I am not blessed with the skill to make complete predictions-no sir, self learning in my case cannot help. Not everyone is blessed equally, and more and more daejawoos did occur like a chain reaction, which would be too painful to recount now, and additionally would not be apt.

With regard to the poojas, yes, we have already initiated the process of doing the havans which include the entire lot of japas applicable, I am glad that facilities for the same are available at a near distance, and am thankful to God for the same.

With respect to the MMM, I consulted three people (the first two ones being priests and the third one being a priests reference). The first priest changed the entire pronunciation based on ved pathshala style which took me time to follow and I repeated with him as much as I could, he told me to take it slowly and do it, and his version was completely unlike anything available over the internet. The second priest, who is in charge of the Shiva temple okayed the web based pronunciation including 'Bandhanaat' but just to be sure gave me a third reference who okayed 'Bandhanaat' when told slowly and 'Bandhanaan' when told at a fast pace.

I respect your words and its underlying intent. I will chant the Mantra based on my knowledge of the meaning underlying within it. However, in terms of a larger issue, how many people can have access to an ideal Guru to teach them whatever is required in critical situations like the one presented herein? In times like these, does information outflow of remedial measures via the internet not subserve the greater common good of helping people find out the most appropriate way of dealing with issues such as these? I, for one, have immense respect for knowledge and I do respect each and every word that you have put forth in your reply. However, the correlation between information availability and learning potential would differ from person to person. At times like these, all you can do is sit and wonder in awe as to how the cosmos doles out intellect in varying degrees and forms, if everyone was born equal, then probably, astrology as a science by itself would lose its relevance (again with absolutely no condescending undertone).

Truly,
Bornhoaxer

shilpa
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by shilpa » 17 Apr 2013

Dear Bornhoaxer,

with regard to your original question...you must have an image / a perception of god in mind.
and in my view it can be one of following....

--like a strict school-master / an examiner who punishes and penalizes if you get your spellings and pronounciations wrong inspite of your best efforts ...when addressing him.

OR

--or like an understanding parent who wants to see his children make the best effort in trying to reach him / address him.
and gives his love & blessings equally to all regrdless of whether some of his childrne get the spelling / pronounciation less right than others.

your answer lies in your image and your undertsanding of god.

regards
1हनुमान2अंजनीसुत3वायुपुत्र4महाबल5रामेष्ट6फाल्गुनसखा7पिंगाक्ष8अमितविक्रम9उदधिक्रमण10सीताशोकविनाशन 11लक्षमणप्राणदाता12दशग्रीवदर्पहा

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 15 Sep 2013

I tried this mantra in both its variations. In my experience “bandhanat“ gave good results especially concerning 7th house matters. Whereas “bandhanaan“ has not given perceptible results.

mannu_33

Post by mannu_33 » 07 Aug 2014

As per sage parashara, if the running dasha/bhukti is lord of 2nd or 7th house..i.e. marka house, then mrityunjaya homa is to be performed to minimise the negative effects of illness/accidents etc...

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 27 Jun 2021

Namaste All,
Has anyone tried this mantra - with it's variations mentioned above? (Bandhanaat vs Bandhanaan). Would like to know about your experiences in this regard.

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 28 Jun 2021

My friend has sent me this note to upload here since he doesn't have an account here.

नमश्शिवाय। 🙏
bandhanāt mṛtyor becomes bandhanānmṛtyor... Which is just a small sandhiḥ। Joining words or splitting words follows a "systematic" pāṇinīya Ādeśāḥ।
Basically to understand a word we need to do padacchedaḥ according to the pāṇinīya ādeśāḥ। While chanting a mantra we need to join the words hence the latter has to be followed.
parāśaraḥ mentions that a jyotiṣi, will follow brahmacaryam, will have adept in vyākaraṇavedāṅgaḥ, nyāyaḥ, gaṇitaḥ & so on... We need the mathematical thinking which is very essential in possessing discrimination.

Take care.
..........................................................................................

padacchedaḥ*