correct recitation of MAHA MRITYUNJAYA MANTRA

For discussion on remedial measures (upayas) - mantras, yagyas, puja, charity, gems, ishta devata
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
richak
correct recitation of MAHA MRITYUNJAYA MANTRA

Post by richak » 24 Jun 2011

Respected astrologers
Please tel me the correct recitation of MAHA MRITYUNJAY MANTRA.Is it "bandhanaan or bandhanaat"?

spidey
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: correct recitation of MAHA MRITYUNJAYA MANTRA

Post by spidey » 24 Jun 2011

This might be of some help to you - http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ph ... bandhanaat
I am a student of this subject , and hence I might be wrong in my calculations. Kindly seek other opinions too , before coming to a conclusion.

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 24 Jun 2011

Dear Richa,

There is another way of doing this mantra. Sit down in a clean place on a woolen blanket (kambal). The blanket can be the cheapest or roughest but must be of natural wool, synthetics are discouraged. You may sit in Padmasana or Sukhasana. Try to keep your back straight. The mantra must be recited clearly in your mind, without uttering any sound. Touch your tongue lightly to the base of your upper teeth. Then recite the mantra mentally while taking one full inhalation, then recite the mantra again while releasing one full exhalation. Follow this pattern. Breaths must be slow and deep, so should be the exhalation. Slowly inhale to the full capacity of your lungs, then slowly exhale every ounce of air from them. There should be no hurry and breath should be taken through the nose only, lips should be shut. You should do this one mala, i.e. full mantra 108 times everyday for 40 days at least. Then judge the results. Practice the breathing for a few times before you start doing the mantra.

Regards
swamykool
It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.

richak

Post by richak » 24 Jun 2011

Thank u sir for the guidance.I have immence faith in this mantra.I used to hear the MMM mala recited by Anuradha Paudwal in childhood.Even today the very thought of hearing the mantra kind of gives instant relaxation,relief from tensions.
ya but the breathing technique u mentioned needs to practiced before.
I hope this manta will also prove to be very beneficial to ward off malefic effects of grahas as Lord Shiva is the creator of nav grahas.

digitsoftime

Post by digitsoftime » 25 Jun 2011

Swamykoolest ji,

Is reciting the mantra (or anyone for that matter) without lip movement more efficacious than chanting it aloud?

regards,
Sunny

suniti
Donor
Donor

Post by suniti » 03 Aug 2011

richak wrote: Please tel me the correct recitation of MAHA MRITYUNJAY MANTRA.Is it "bandhanaan or bandhanaat"?
Hi Richakji
i know you got your answer already but just my two cents

both are fine because bandhanaat becomes bandhanaan as it is followed by a word beginning with the letter "m"
so either way is good...
ex jagat + naatha = jagannatha

if you love this mantra try to listen to the ghana patha of it i will try to type it here if anyone is interested.

pranaams
suniti
Last edited by suniti on 03 Aug 2011, edited 1 time in total.
"From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go ..."

kandhan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by kandhan » 03 Aug 2011

sunitiji,

is there a link to the audio files of the ghana patha?
Nothing is free except God's Grace.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 03 Aug 2011

Hi all:

Reciting a mantra loudly and reciting it in the mind have some differences.
For the person who has no complete control of the mind, that is the majority of us, there will be distraction when we do it in the mind. However, when we chant it loudly, since we have to read the lyrics or recite it again and again, our mind gets attuned to it and so there is less diversion.
So you can see that people who are like saints do the Gayatri japa in the mind and they achieve that level of concentration due to their near perfection in the way of living.
Any mantra when said in the mind is suppose to have somewhat more power is what I heard but of course, when the mind has other thoughts pouring in for those of us who think of politics at work place or fight with neighbours or at home and about the money to be paid as loan and so on, best way would be to recite loudly and when we have all other problems sorted out and when our mind becomes filled with vairagyua like let anyuthing happen, I cannot be pesturbed or disturbded. When one reaches this state, or atleast nearly reaches this state(which itself is too difficult, easier said than done), then he would be able to recite mantras in the mind without anything affecting him. No external force can affect, since he is in union with his Atman.

Dev

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by swamykool » 03 Aug 2011

Dear Sunny and Hari,

Dev ji has explained the difference in technique beautifully, there is hardly anything more to add for me.

The recitation in the mind is a technique followed by the different yogi sampradayas. This technique is also followed by the Kriya yogis. Kriya yogis are mostly not ascetics, they are common householders involved in general professions but follow the yogic techniques for their private sadhana. My father was a kriya yogi so I learnt this technique from him.

Reciting in the mind is initially more difficult as explained by Dev ji, but offers considerably more benefits. Whether you are doing mantra jap for spiritual progress or to get out of trouble, disciplining the mind is very important. If you succeed in doing that after many initial hiccups, you will experience that your power of concentration has increased manifold and you can easily find solutions to the problems you found insurmountable earlier. This is what I have found out, regarding spiritual progress, I don't know as I have never tried for it.

Regards
swamykool

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Anupam ji,

Thanks for the excellent suggestion for preparing the mind for mental recitation. Yes mantra jap while preparing to sleep sounds like a very plausible solution for people who are unused to ajapa-jap. Although I learnt it the hard way, sitting in padmasana and having a sore back.

And I think you have suggested quite correctly that the proper rendition is 'bandhanaat', not 'bandhanaan'.

Regards
swamykool

swamykool
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Dear Hari,

I never took any diksha in kriya yoga. I just learnt a few bits here and there from my father. That's all.

swamykool

suniti
Donor
Donor

Post by suniti » 03 Aug 2011

Dear Swamykoolji.

about the chanting in the mind very much in line to what you are saying Maharshi Ramana has a verse in upadesha saara
uttamastavaas uccamandatah chittajam japas dhyaanam uttamam
uttama -- superior or better
stavat - than stuti or singing glories
ucha (japa) - loud japa
mandatah - softer (japa)
chittajam (japa) --- japa in mind
japa dyanam - japa that is automatic form, inward --literally mental japa
uttamam - is the best

here Ramana Maharshi is giving a gradation of japa and in that the japa that is chanted in the mind
is uttama :D :D

@Kandhansir i could not find an audio version of the ghana patha online and had actually typed out the entire thing which took like an hour but could not get it with swara marks on the forum :(

thanks
and many pranaams
suniti
"From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go ..."

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 04 Aug 2011

Dear Hari:

It is not your mind alone which is always wandering and gets bad thoughts just for the sake of getting and spoiling the concentration. It happens to all and the determination to get away from it alone helps.
Everyone has to pass through that stage if they are determined, some fight it out, some think they will never achieve the concentration and so leave it.
So I would say to you, if you cannot sit at one place for more than a minute, call a group of neighbours, relatives or friends to make up around 5 to 10 people and chant together say Vishnu Sahasranama or Lakshmi Astottaram, etc and you will see you see vast improvement in your concentration very soon. In solitude bad thoughts may come but not in others company.
Also when such thought comes, say the slokas loudly and since u have to concentrate on the reading, bad thoughts will not come, it is only when bad thoughts disappear that u can start chanting internally. But it is very difficult initially but if determined, sooner or later u can reach that stage and that is the stage that can help u get rid of your problems as Swamy Cool also said.
Remember solitude will make u worse, it helps those who are by nature satvik and have no bad thoughts but are disturbed slightly by external noise and so on. So it would require time for that.

This going side track is there every day in our life for all. See in severl threads here, sometimes some people right on a topic, then one goes slightly out of track and then others follow. Same way, suppose two people tack, one may go out of track when he wants to change the subject. If I keep on singing, it may not be your forte, u may if nearby start talking something else, not because u dont like music, but u are unable to take too much of it. Samething happens in astrology, philosophy and so on. So to develop concentration and to be aware of our favourite topics and to be aware of our strengths and weaknesses is important for us to develop further our personality.

Dev

sambhav2826
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sambhav2826 » 09 Aug 2011

bandhanaan

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 09 Aug 2011

Hi

Hari is a beatiful sanskrit word and I just read the synonyms where it also means a God, monkey, horse and so on. That is why the astrologer PVRRao in whose family came up with naming his son as Anjaneya, Vishnu, Hayagrivar or Narasimha then finally decided Srihari as a common name which would include all the four above.

Dev

hari766
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by hari766 » 05 Nov 2018

The link provided in thread viewtopic.php?t=10939#p83220 is not working....

The corrected link is
viewtopic.php?t=1132