Six planets in Sagittarius

For discussion on the transits (gochara), ashtakavarga system etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Clairvoyance
Six planets in Sagittarius

Post by Clairvoyance » 25 Dec 2019

What will be the impact of six planets being in sagittarius. Are there any Rashi or lagna that will be impacted positively or negatively?

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Six planets in Sagittarius

Post by Sishya » 25 Dec 2019

Hi,

The warning bells seems to be ringing loud and clear for Sagittarius/Dhanur Rasi and Moola/Mula Nakshatra, where the eclipse/grahana is taking place.

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 02 Apr 2020

Hi,

Request all to kindly bear with me for a long post; as also inconsistencies or typos (if any)...
I was working on a hypothesis (mostly based on some broad assumptions) on the Genesis of what has infamously become un/popular as CoVID-19 Virus. With relevant information and details, I'm convinced - request folk to kindly ignore if any part of (or entire) text is not to their personal taste or liking.

A few interesting threads were started and I was trying very hard to connect the seemingly awkwardly placed dots in the celestial space. As you can imagine, my limited knowledge, understanding and experience were restricting me to make progress - specially in the presence of enlightened souls, in the form of stalwarts in this forum.

Unfortunately, due to continued progression of Grahachara, we seem to have experienced outage or data loss in the form of missing data/information/posts and threads in this forum, for about a month. So, I'm forced to resurrect or use this thread to build on what was being discussed or exchanged as information .

By the way, all the credit for clearly pointing the dots; as also helping locate intermediate ones of Planetary Grahachara/Transits, as also Tatwas or significations of specific points in the celestial space etc., etc. goes to a truly blessed soul - wish he had summarized this post, for I'm sure he would have done an exceptionally good job of articulating the vision from his "Gaze of the Crystal Ball".

Anyways, here's my humble attempt...
The current situation can really be attributed to the extreme or Athi-Kroor Gochara/Grahachara in terms of long brewing, slow - steady simmering and eventual culmination or precipitation of what our friend very nicely referred in Shipping Parlance as "The Prefect Storm".

The brewing or slow - steady simmering was very much in progress in the lead up to Athi-Kroora Solar Eclipse or Surya Grahana, on 26th December 2019. That was then followed 14 days later by another eclipse - this time a Lunar Eclipse or Chandra Grahana, on 10th January 2020. Very interesting positions of planets can be observed at specific times, during both eclipse events.

Evidently, most of all the Grahas were both agitated, as also compromised in their positions, rendering them weak and susceptible. This situation in the first instance, we believe triggered the creation (by way of what might be termed as mutation or reorganization of viruses to form CoVID-19, that had the capability to transmit from its source to the first human and subsequently to others. Mutation or reorganization as we know calls for extreme environmental conditions and the Athi-Kroora Solar Eclipse perhaps created a conducive environment) of an unseen (invisible to naked eye) killer monster, in the form CoVID-19 Virus.

Thereafter, the second instance we believe really triggered the explosion of uncontrolled spread of the deadly Virus.

Mind you, all along Rahu is in the constellation of Ardra Nakshatra, ruled by Rahu himself. He actually denotes or depicts "RUDRA - The Destroyer". And, Rahu in exaltation (my addition to spice things up a little bit) is like RUDRA himself at his best - during RUDRA THANDAVA!!! The destroyer is (perhaps lost) in his own elements and dancing away to glory. This has started and continues to drive the Annihilation...

Incidentally, Ardra also denotes or signifies Butchers and makers of medicine/vaccines among other things, that has the ability to kill the moster - Virus in this case.

So, in all probability, the situation is probably bound to linger on at least until end of September 2020, when Rahu moves out of Ardra Nakshatra.

By that time, I'm anticipating the Scientists/Virologists will manage to quickly develop and run clinical tests of viable vaccines, that might bring about some kind of cure and hence conclusion to the destruction.

In the immediate short-term though, Jupiter/Guru's transit further into Makara Rasi in the coming days and Sun/Ravi's upcoming time of exaltation, starting 15th April will start to provide some relief. I'm anticipating (or simply hoping/praying) some significant breakthroughs in the middle of May 2020, some minor turbulence after July.

Let's hope and pray, while we wait for Time or Kala-Chakra to unfold the mystery. As highlighted earlier, credit (if any) goes to the blessed soul...request you to be a little gentle, as I gear up and prepare the brickbats.

Sincerely...

PS: Would like to draw your attention to the active "Guru-Chandala Yoga", in place that might explain grouping / congregation and spread of virus and eventual clearing of groups and increased enforcement of isolation or social distancing, with Jupiter/Guru's transit out of Dhanur Rasi.

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 02 Apr 2020

Hi,

For those interested in details, I'd request you to cast the Transit Chart for various dates (have had challenges uploading heavy files) in the lead upto 25th and 26th December 2019 and study the following...
26th December 2019 – The day of Solar Eclipse or Surya Grahana. Please observe the Ardra-Moola connection.
Rahu is in the constellation of Ardra Nakshatra and Ketu is in the constellation of Purvashada Nakshatra.
Note the Moola connections of Udaya Lagna, Sun/Ravi, Moon/Chandra, Mercury/Budha and Jupiter/Guru.
Check Sandhi/Cusp and Gandanta positions of Grahas in celestial space. All the Grahas there are agitated.
Jupiter/Guru was combust, there were multiple planetary wars and Shani-dev was in Mrityu Bagha (at my
Location). Around the time, a chart at Wuhan also shows Venus/Shukra in Mrityu Bagha.

Rahu-Ketu rule all that cannot be seen – X-Rays/MRI/Mobile Transmission/Bacteria/Viruses among others.
Ardra is lorded by Rahu, in his exaltation Rasi of Mithuna. He represents RUDRA, in his own elements and lost In RUDRA TANDAVA. RUDRA is the Destroyer. He is considered as the master of Samhara, in the
“Srishti Sthithi Samhara” concept or the Trimurti system having Brahma as the creator, Lord Vishnu as the
maintainer or preserver, and Lord Shiva as the destroyer. The conglomeration of all the stalwarts is in Dhanur Rasi – happens to be a fiery sign depicting Warriors.

So, our friend is convinced if a Prashna was asked at the time of the eclipse – What is the effect of the eclipse??? The only clear result would be WAR – in simple Mundane Tatwa! The question now is between Who? What is the source? Nobody imagined it would be with Viruses… And, that we think is the mutated or reorganized Genesis of CoVID-19… that showed it’s nasty effect soon after.

Then, cast the Transit Chart for 10th and 11th January 2020 and observer the following, among other standout features...
On 10th/11th January, there was another eclipse – this time a Lunar Eclipse or Chandra Grahana.
The Grahas barely have had a chance to recover from the Athi-Kroora Grahana and continue to be weak.
Moon/Chandra is in Ardra… with Jupiter/Guru and Ketu in a bitter Graha Yudha (although one may
dispute Ketu being a Chaya Graha – well for me, I buy what JHora says)… from here on, there was no
stopping the Virus.

Such eclipses were perhaps unprecedented in recent times – were powerful and occurred back-to-back.

Now, forward to 31st March 2020. Saturn/Shani-dev and Mars/Kuja the two super-heavyweight malefics are
on a head-on collision. Jupiter/Guru is out of Dhanur Rasi and from the effect of Ketu (Guru-Chandala Yoga). He is in transition – debilitated and in Sandhi/Cusp. Observe Moon/Chandra is in conjunction with Rahu, who is still in Ardra. This probably explains the spurt of virus spread reveled overnight.

Now, Sun/Ravi will get into his exaltation Rasi of Mesha from 15th April 2020 and Jupiter will continue his
March into Makara Rasi. Hopefully, there will be some relief… Full relief can only be expected when Rahu
moves out of Ardra and Ketu moves out of Moola – that is not until after 24th September 2020.

By the way, there is another Solar Eclipse or Surya Grahana in the making… slated for 21st June 2020. This
and subsequent Jupiter/Guru’s retrograde move back into Dhanur Rasi, when Ketu is still strongly placed in Moola might very well trigger another wave.

Sincerely...

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 04 Apr 2020

There have been many of the theories on the origin and spread of Covid-19 on this forum and elsewhere too. Curiously, a majority point to Rahu as the main culprit. Here is another point of view.

First, the occurrence of the widespread disease is to be attributed to some celestial event and the solar eclipse of 26th Dec 2019 is a conveniently available event. From the chart of that day, place the Lagna at the Longitude of Sun (since it is a widespread natural calamity, a Lagna for a particular place would not fit the bill). It will be seen that Sun(also Lagna), Moon, Mercury and Jupiter are all in the nakshatra of Ketu. Venus is in Sravana nakshatra belonging to Moon.

The 6H belongs to Venus and that planet is in the 2H representing the passage from mouth to anus. The bhava madhya is, however, the Sun (Kritika nakshatra). The Sun is the natural Arogyakaraka also and its position in Lagna give illhealth by Kaarako bhava nashaaya principle. Venus is in the nakshatra of Moon representing fluids. Using this route, the exalted and activated (by its being the dasa lord) Ketu (some take Vrischika as exaltation for Ketu) with the Agni Tatwa sitting in a Fiery sign unleashes its fury on mankind.

Saturn, though in the same nakshatra, doesn’t contribute much since it moves away from that nakshatra the same day. Jupiter and Mercury (both in Ketu’s nakshatra with Jupiter as the antara lord) are involved in the spreading and communicating the disease while Moon is a facilitator. The double transit of Jupiter and Saturn is also in Lagna. Much of the action will be in countries represented by Lagna and with Christian (non-muslim, represented by Ketu) majority population.

Normally, the eclipse effects remain for around six months. By end January, only Ketu and Jupiter remain in Lagna keeping the disease grow. By end March, Jupiter also exited the Lagna leaving Ketu to keep up the disease. At this stage, the disease should slow down and finally cease when Ketu also exits the Lagna. During this time Sun also grows strong to improve the health of nations.

The eclipse of 21st June 2020 may not have much to do with Covid 19. There, Mars seems to play a strong role with Rahu, Sun, Mercury and Moon playing supportive roles – a war like situation is likely. The double transit pointer will be at houses 4, 8 and 12. Since Mars aspects the 4th, more action is likely be seen around here. With reference to India, this would represent the North West. A connection to Rahu will indicate the Islamic majority countries. Iran and Syria can fit the bill. The conflict will remain till all the concerned planets leave Gemini.

TKC

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 04 Apr 2020

Namaste TKC,

Many thanks for sharing your perspective and highly respected views. I assume you are perhaps pinpointing the overt stressing of Rahu in Ardra Nakshatra (and perhaps me calling out the RUDRA TANDAVA) and limited stress on the fireworks in Moola Nakshatra. Hopefully, my posts are not giving Rahu the sole credit for the current state of affairs - if so, it was not a deliberate attempt by any means.

In fact, since posting I've spent some time to recollect my understanding of Moola Nakshatra and it's lord Ketu's significance. Following write-up might be relevant here...

The presiding deity of Moola Nakshatra is Nirriti. Nirriti is a goddess having dark complexion and dressed in black clothes. It is said that she rules the kingdom of the dead and represents Evil.

Nirriti (Calamity) is the goddess of dissolution who personifies Evil. She is also known as Alakshmi, the opposite of Lakshmi the goddess of prosperity. Nirriti either directly induces material privation or causes prosperity to deteriorate after it is attained. I wonder if the current economic slow-down can in anyway be attributed to this very aspect.

Nirriti is said to be the daughter of Adharma (Unrighteousness) and Himsa (Violence) and the mother of Mrityu (Death) and Bhaya (Fear). Hence, it is evident that Moola is not a very pleasant Nakshatra - most definitely not the best of battlefields. In fact, during the ill-fated event a few celestial wars were fought in this Lunar Mansion. So, there is no discounting Ketu's contribution.

That said, I've already shared my belief that the fight back (in terms of development of vaccine/s or antidote/remedy/cure) could/should very well come from Rahu. So, I'm wondering if the eclipse on 21st June is in some shape or form, a fight-back by humans (Scientists/Virologists - blessed by Rahu) on the invisible monster opponent - instead of being another wave of turbulence.

All said and done, I still believe this issue is bound to linger on until 24th September 2020, in some shape or form.

Sincerely...

PS: By the way, I'd like to draw your attention to the total Solar Eclipse (Surya Grahana) on 14th December 2020 - the Mrigashira/Jyeshta axis. Note the conglomeration of planets in Vrischika Rasi - in and around Jyeshta Nakshatra, the number of planetary wars or Graha Yudhas, depletion of Moon/Chandra, combustion of Mercury/Budha. I'd like to use this opportunity to solicit feedback and/or comments.

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 05 Apr 2020

Hi,

Many thanks to the knowledgeable member for highlighting the Total Eclipse slated for 14th December 2020, is not visible in India. But then, I wonder what plays out in the cosmos will surely have some effect on all of us, in some shape or form - either directly or indirectly.

For instance, the Solar Eclipse of 26th December 2019 (unless I'm terribly mistaken) was not visible in the US and most part of the western hemisphere. But then, US seems to be one of the most affected countries with the surging CoVID-19 infections.

On my part, I called out the celestial occurrence with the hope that learned folk like the blessed soul himself and other learned members would confirm and perhaps share a word of caution with all of us, of what might unfold (on the well prepared stage of Vrischika Rasi, Jyeshta Nakshatra etc. and thereafter...).

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 03 May 2020

Hi,

I'm inclined to think deep exaltation of Sun/Ravi has perhaps helped ease the situation and given courage to leaders across the globe, to relax lock down and associated restrictions. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the later part of the May 2020 and beyond.

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 26 Jun 2020

Hi,

Transit of Jeeva-Kakara Sun/Ravi into Mithuna Rasi and subsequent Surya Grahana or Rolar Eclipse has been evident in the spurt or spike in infections across the globe. I'm inclined to think the impact of Grahana Dosha will reflect in the global pandemic situation.

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 26 Jun 2020

Hi,

Interesting though is the plight of Mercury/Budha, who went Retro/Vakra in his Swasthan of Mithuna Rasi and caught in the Rahu-Ketu axis. Probably fool-hardy decisions, lack of or miscommunications, misunderstandings and confusion will be the common order.

Personally, I'm inclined to think a complete or total lock-down for a month will be beneficial.

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 27 Jun 2020

Hi,

As much as I hate to ignite or initiate a fear-psychosis within the group or extended list of patrons, I'm inclined to think Jupiter/Guru being Retro/Vakra and joining Ketu in Dhanur Rasi, starting next week, in conjunction with the recent developments (exceptions given to religious congregations) are not a very good sign.

In my personal and humble opinion, I think there are higher risks in any kind of Dharmic, religious, philosophical, intellectual, academic and other such congregations, in precipitating the current situation (like what happened in Delhi earlier).

For instance, as much as I like and support a few state Government decisions to go ahead with academic exams (Matriculation and other such), I wonder if the same might turn counter-productive.

Anyways, a humble request is for all (including all loved ones within and extended family) to be extra cautious and take additional preventive measures for the next 3-4 weeks - at the bear minimum.

Sincerely...

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » 27 Jun 2020

DEAR SISHYA,

What do you feel about the six planet conglomeration due on february 10 th 2021 in capricorn sign..Looks like another jarring music to human ears..Note all planes with in the nodal axis

ramanan

Bhishma
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bhishma » 27 Jun 2020

@R V RAMANAN Sir, earlier such pattern marked the beginning of this corona pandemic which is still powerful to endure and hard to give up. As per your point will the second pattern in KARMA sign of Kalapursha in Capricorn chart marks the new beginning of something that is not welcomed upon for humanity ?

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 28 Jun 2020

@Sishya,

Rahu moved out of Aridra nakshatra soon after May 20th this year. His presence in Gemini with the Sun in Aridra may be a contributing factor for the spread. Sun moves out of Aridra by July 6th. We have to watch what happens after that date.

Incidentally, Mercury is also in Aridra and as you have pointed out, communication fumbles may continue for more time till Mercury becomes direct and moves out of Aridra nakshatra.

Movement of Jupiter into Dhanus where Ketu is posted may not have much impact since the two are well separated and in differing nakshatras.

Hope for the best.

TKC

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 28 Jun 2020

Namaste,

In my opinion and limited understanding, the build up to, followed by the congregation of planets and subsequently their presence in the war zone of Dhanur Rasi, during Surya Grahana or Solar Eclipse in December 2019 is not the same in comparison to the upcoming congregation in Makara Rasi - although I'm inclined to think the lead up to the congregation in February 2021 will have it's own implications and fallout on the Global disruptions and perhaps unrest.

Personally, I'm a bit concerned with the upcoming Surya Grahana or Solar Eclipse in December 2020, in Jyestha Nakshatra - wonder what role the Global Big players play at a critical juncture, when their leadership, intelligence, patience and wisdom will be very much needed.

Sincerely...
Last edited by Sishya on 28 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 28 Jun 2020

Namaste TKC,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Although my previous post seems/reads a bit fatalistic (I hope for good reasons), I agree things will probably start getting better in the days to come.

That said, I'm sure you'll agree it will not hurt for us to be a bit more cautious to be safe - as also contain the spread.

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 26 Jul 2020

Hi,

It's been a while since Sun/Ravi has moved out of Mithuna Rasi and we continue to observe an upward trend in the number of infections/spread in some locations - although it does look like there has been progress (in terms of slowdown/reduction) in many other places. There also seem to be some positive progress in the development of vaccines.

In my humble opinion, the aspect of a powerfully placed Saturn/Shani-dev on Sun/Ravi is perhaps one reason. It would be nice if knowledgeable folk shared their thoughts and contributed to a better understanding/learning.

Sincerely...

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 28 Jul 2020

In this present scenario for covid-19, finding the correct astrological reason(s) for what is happening around the world due to the pandemic is becoming more and more complex.

TKC

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 05 Oct 2020

Hi,

Time and again I've heard this topic (congregation of 6 planets/grahas on 10/11th February 2021 in Capricorn/Makara Rashi) in various platforms/media. And, invariably there seems to be quite a bit of fear-psychosis and a lot of rumors being spread by the general public. So, I decided to spend some time to understand and collate/articulate my thoughts. Although it's been a few days since I compiled the initial notes, I've not been able to refine and conclude the write-up (by including specific and relevant details of the Lunar Mansions/Nakshatras, their deities etc.). In any case, I thought I'll go ahead and post whatever I have... so, here we go... with a hope of validating my understanding and hear alternate view-points.

First off, we need to realize unlike the Fiery Dhanur Rashi (the war zone – reminds me of Kurukshetra), Makara Rashi is a Earthly Sign/House – very practical house and Karma-Sthana of Kaalapurusha.
Secondly, neither of Rahu-Ketu will be playing a direct role – thankfully, they will be watching the celestial game from the sidelines. At best, they can cheer-on or influence the key players indirectly. And, for sure they will be doing so – perhaps more so with Rahu as we’ll observe in the notes below.
We also need to understand Saturn/Shani-dev is a heavy-weight and quite happily placed in his Swasthana and preferred abode of Makara Rashi. He will continue to dwell there for some more time. More specifically on the said day/days, he will be posited in the Lunar Mansion of Shravana Nakshatra, ruled by Moon/Chandra.

Although the close proximity of heavy-weight Jupiter/Guru, in his Neecha-Sthana or debilitation sign with Saturn/Shani-dev in his Swasthana of Makara Rashi is a bit of a concern, I’m inclined to think there is strong Neecha-Bangha in effect and hope the worst is in the past. Incidentally, on the said day/days, he will also be posited in the Lunar Mansion of Shravana Nakshatra, ruled by Moon/Chandra.

Venus/Shukra is also quite happy to be in his friend or Apta-Mitra’s house, in Makara Rashi. Incidentally, on the said day/days, he will also be posited in the Lunar Mansion of Shravana Nakshatra, ruled by Moon/Chandra.

Sun/Ravi and Mercury/Budha are perhaps not as comfortable in the congregation. But then, they are placed in the Lunar Mansion of Mars/Kuja, who is well-placed in his Swasthana in Mesha Rashi. And then, Moon/Chandra is making a quick passage… (folk with Shravana Nakshatra will do well to consider offering special prayers to address the impact of heavy-weights hovering over the Nakshatra).

Now, it would make sense for folk to understand the higher leanings or Tathvas of the Lunar Mansions of Shravana and Dhanista Nakshatras.
That said, Rahu being posited in the Lunar Mansion of Rohini Nakshatra ruled by Moon/Chandra or his aspect on Makara Rashi is to be observed and analyzed. Although Rahu is invariably associated with ills/odds and bad effects, he is also capable of doing good (say for instance create or provide antidote and help get rid of poison or cure infections, that he has proliferated, to start with). So, I’m inclined to think he might very well contribute and influence the congregation in a positive way – specially since he is operating from the fertile and (pro) creative Lunar Mansion of Rohini Nakshatra (in the midst of anger/temper).
Ketu posited in the Lunar Mansion of Jyestha Nakshatra, ruled by Mercury/Budha should contribute by providing the much needed intelligence/realization for stable and peaceful world order - (need to dwell some more on this).

In summary (overall or generalized view), I’m inclined to think the planetary (Graha) congregation this time will try to help bring about Global leaders/powers (or people across the globe will get together locally in parts or globally together and work towards a common/just/right cause – not cause or contribute to further destruction, like last time around.

On the sidelines, both astrologically and otherwise, I’m inclined to think these days will mark the beginning of a baby-boom and perhaps a replenishment of lost population.

As always, I'll gladly make an effort to understand and accept fallacies in my understanding, omissions (if any) and/or alternate thoughts.

Sincerely...

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 07 Oct 2020

Hi,

Even before the said congregation, the week prior Christmas is the time to watch-out... for the two heavy-weights will be too close for comfort.

Sincerely...

xtc

Post by xtc » 04 Nov 2020

Sishya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Even before the said congregation, the week prior Christmas is the time to
> watch-out... for the two heavy-weights will be too close for comfort.
>
> Sincerely...

Jupiter and Saturn will appear to be shining as one bright star in the night sky on December 21. What makes the ‘Great Conjunction 2020’ event so rare is that this particular conjunction will see the two planets come really close, separated by just one-tenth of a degree. The last time they were so close back to July 16, 1623, which is almost four centuries ago.

From Indian express

padmanabhanravi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by padmanabhanravi » 07 Nov 2020

Jupiter being debilitated in Capricorn and Saturn in Capricorn will it result in neecha banga??

tylorechandra
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tylorechandra » 10 Nov 2020

@sishya,

Jupiter and Saturn are conjunct every 20 years approximately. At each conjunction, the degrees coincide at some point of time before Jupiter again draws ahead. I am not, therefore, able to understand your statement of 4 centuries.

TKC

Sishya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sishya » 12 Nov 2020

Namaste TKC,

My understanding of the conjunction is also in line with your note. In fact, the last such conjunction was in Aries or Mesha Rashi around 20 years back (May 2000, to be precise) and the one in Capricorn or Makara Rashi was around 60 years back (in February 1961, to be precise).

So, you are right... the quoted article from Indian Express (as stated in the post by a member) does not make much sense - unless we are missing some other significant or add-on detail/information from the article.

Sincerely...

xtc

Post by xtc » 18 Nov 2020

A more detailed explanation is required as it is not worded well. These are based on telescope observations. A more detailed explanation is needed. The following is a quote from space.com :

Most of the time, when Jupiter overtakes Saturn, they usually are separated by more than a degree. But come Dec. 21, they will be separated by just about one-tenth of a degree or 6.1 arc minutes. To gauge how close that is, on the next clear night, check out Mizar, the middle star in the handle of the Big Dipper. A fainter star, Alcor, is positioned only 11.8 arc minutes away and the ability to perceive the separation of these two stars, was once considered a test of good vision. And yet Jupiter and Saturn will approach to within about half that distance! That's just 0.102 degrees. This means, under high magnification in your telescope you'll be able to see both planets — Saturn with its famous ring system and Jupiter with its cloud bands and Galilean satellites — simultaneously in the same field of view! How great is that? It will be interesting to watch how the gap between these two planets will gradually close during November and December. On Nov. 1st, they are 5.1 degrees apart; by Nov. 15, 3.8 degrees. By Dec. 1, they'll be separated by 2.2 degrees and by Dec. 15 it will be down to just 0.7 degrees, then 0.1 degrees closer each night thereafter until their long-awaited meeting on Dec. 21.

As to whether the two planets might appear as a single star, I personally can recall on June 5, 1978 when Mars and Saturn were separated by a similar distance, and yet I could clearly separate both planets with my naked eye. However, those who are near-sighted might see Jupiter and Saturn appear as one merely by removing their eyeglasses.

The last time these two planets appeared so close was on July 16, 1623, when they were only 5 arc minutes apart. We will get another 6-arc minute separation on March 15, 2080. Maybe a few of our younger readers will be around to catch that one.