What has more weight the mahadasa/antardasa or the transits

For discussion on the transits (gochara), ashtakavarga system etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Kateyp
Contributor
Contributor
What has more weight the mahadasa/antardasa or the transits

Post by Kateyp » 08 Nov 2011

Would your mahadasa/antardasa have more of an effect on the outcome of a period or the transit of significant planets such as Saturn/Jupiter/ Nodes ?

If it is the mahadasa/antardasa - is it according to the natal placement of the planets or the transiting placement?

If the weight is more for the transiting placement of significant planets isn't the effect very generalized? or do the transits interact with your natal planets?

Would appreciate any insight on this
Thanks

vidhyanine
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: What has more weight the mahadasa/antardasa or the trans

Post by vidhyanine » 08 Nov 2011

Dear Kateyp,

In my experience from what I have learned here in the forum from Senior Astrologers, I believe Mahadasa / Antardasa gives a better outlook for predicting but transiting planets should also be taken into account. Does that make sense?

Vidhya
Smile

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 08 Nov 2011

Kateyp wrote:Would your mahadasa/antardasa have more of an effect on the outcome of a period or the transit of significant planets such as Saturn/Jupiter/ Nodes ?

If it is the mahadasa/antardasa - is it according to the natal placement of the planets or the transiting placement?

If the weight is more for the transiting placement of significant planets isn't the effect very generalized? or do the transits interact with your natal planets?

Would appreciate any insight on this
Thanks
Combination of MD/AD lords plus transits of slow moving planets need to be seen as major factors...A strong and a benefic MD/AD may overcome weak transit effects
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 08 Nov 2011

The question sounds similar to asking, who is more powerful, the elephant or the lion?

It all depends on situations. When the mahadasa lord is too strong and so is the antardasa, even bad transit effects may not be able to reduce the good effects that would be seen. On the contrary, if the mahadasa and antardasha lord is too weak, still a benefic jupiter or saturn when favourably positioned in transit can give excellent results and also, when the dasha and antardasha lords are too weak and the transit is not so favorable, then it can be a total disaster.
In fact even if the mahadasa lord is too strong, the effect of antardasha who is not good and is average may not affect the effects of mahadasha lord when its dasha is operating.

So in brief, it can be said that the effects felt is due to the most dominant one that is operating,whether good or bad and which is the most dominant one itself varies with time for each individual.

Dev

vidhyanine
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by vidhyanine » 09 Nov 2011

Dear Krishna,

Very good explanation on the theories of Karma and how it works. This helps me understand the logic behind why Dasas are more important in predicting and how Gochara/transits create new Karma.

Quite Informative.

Vidhya
Smile

Kateyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kateyp » 09 Nov 2011

Thank you all for your replies.
I guess we can think of it in terms of weight like this

mahadasa 35%
antardasa 45%
Transits 20%

If transits are 100% strong and antardasa only 25% strong then 20% of 100 is greater than 45% of 25.

or something like that?

The karma perspective is interesting and of course everything is subjective.

Are strengths of dasas and transits measured by shadbala?

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 09 Nov 2011

Kateyp wrote:Thank you all for your replies.
I guess we can think of it in terms of weight like this

mahadasa 35%
antardasa 45%
Transits 20%

If transits are 100% strong and antardasa only 25% strong then 20% of 100 is greater than 45% of 25.

or something like that?

The karma perspective is interesting and of course everything is subjective.

Are strengths of dasas and transits measured by shadbala?

MD lord will have a higher weigtage than the AD lord..AD cannot overrule or deliver results not promised by the mahadasha lord

Sujit
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sujit » 10 Nov 2011

In my experience antar dasa has maximum say, 75%, followed by Maha dasa lord 25%.
Regards
Sujit
http://astrologer.Sujit.tripod.com
If you have the right knowledge, EXACT predictions can be made. Astrology is an incredible tool for guidance and one should take note of the energies of changing dasa lords.

vidhyanine
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by vidhyanine » 11 Nov 2011

Sujit,

Is that to say that transits have no implications?

Vidhya
Smile

Sujit
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Sujit » 11 Nov 2011

What I meant, antar dasha lord has maximum say, followed by MD lord and transits deliver the events as per operating dasa lord.

-Sujit
http://astrologer.Sujit.tripod.com
If you have the right knowledge, EXACT predictions can be made. Astrology is an incredible tool for guidance and one should take note of the energies of changing dasa lords.

explorings
Donor
Donor

Post by explorings » 11 Nov 2011

IMO, all three factors have to be considered for analysis: 1. Chart, 2.Dasha, and 3. Transit.

Mahadasha usually gets more weightage than Antardasha and transit. A benefic transit or AD may provide some relief if MD is troublesome but may not negate the troublesome effects of MD. Similarly, a benefic MD may overrule and negate weak/malefic transits. Similar rule applies for AD. A benefic AD lord cannot negate troublesome effects of MD but may only provide some relief.
I would give MD - 50%, AD - 20%, and transits - 30%.

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 12 Nov 2011

I concur with Explorings on this one

Kateyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kateyp » 15 Nov 2011

Thanks all, will look into MD vs AD further on my own. Katey.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 15 Nov 2011

I dont think it is right to give percentages for the mahadasa lord, antardasa lord and transits. Depending on the situations, each one will have a greater(dominant) or lesser say.

It is not like a sensor say a glucometer which can detect the amount of glucose in blood or an ion selective electrode which can detect the particular ion concentration in millimolar levels.

Unfortunately in astrology such tests cant be done like in zoology, two different rats which are mostly identical in terms of health, age etc can be monitored under different environments and compared.

Likewise, in case of humans, if only humans had options to become like Krishna becoming several krishnas, such things could be tested.

For The Mahadasa antardasha and gochara lords effects, if only the same person transforms himself into 4, the first could be given strong sedative that could selectively make antardasha and gochara inactive, similarly with two other persons, two of these could be made passive temporarily or for a particular length of time. Then the 4th person could experimentally evaluate the effect of each independant of the other and see which is more. Then we can have two of them and make the third one dormant and see the cumulative effect and so on. Of course, this could be only an imagination or my wishful thinking.

Dev

subhasis13

Post by subhasis13 » 16 Nov 2011

astro123 wrote:MD lord will have a higher weigtage than the AD lord..AD cannot overrule or deliver results not promised by the mahadasha lord
I second that astro123 ...moreover a very bad dasha lord will overpower all the effects of good transit or good AD lords no matter how well they are placed in chart.

prem999
Contributor
Contributor

Post by prem999 » 17 Nov 2011

If Gochara can overrule the effects of MD Lord and AD Lord, isnt coming up with remedies for Gochara a bit difficult ? Since we know which dasha lords to be propitiated for MD and AD, its a bit easier to come up with Remedies. I may be missing something , but is there anything specific dimension that needs to be stressed based on Gochara for remedies. ?

explorings
Donor
Donor

Post by explorings » 20 Nov 2011

prem999 wrote:If Gochara can overrule the effects of MD Lord and AD Lord, isnt coming up with remedies for Gochara a bit difficult ? Since we know which dasha lords to be propitiated for MD and AD, its a bit easier to come up with Remedies. I may be missing something , but is there anything specific dimension that needs to be stressed based on Gochara for remedies. ?

Gochara (transit) cannot overrule the effects of MD. If MD is suppose to be troublesome, transits may only provide some relief or aggravate the suffering but cannot completely negate and/or overrule the effects.

Remedies for transitory planets is always difficult as you have to take into consideration the house and the planets in natal chart it will be transiting over. Apart from that you also need to see the relationship (shatru or mitra) of the planet in the natal chart.

prem999
Contributor
Contributor

Post by prem999 » 20 Nov 2011

dear explorings,
so propitiating MD and AD lords will neutralize lot of negative impact if any.
does it apply to lord shani's sade-sati as well? which if i understand it right is based on gochara?

thank you.

explorings
Donor
Donor

Post by explorings » 21 Nov 2011

prem999 wrote:dear explorings,
so propitiating MD and AD lords will neutralize lot of negative impact if any.
does it apply to lord shani's sade-sati as well? which if i understand it right is based on gochara?

thank you.
Firstly, for astrologically analyzing any situation, dasha and transits both have to be taken into consideration.

I am unable to understand your question completely, so I try to explain what I understand from the question. You want to know "if gochar remedies are difficult why are Sade Sati remedies so basic, as Sade Sati is basically a transitory effect".

Saturn transits are well-studied eg. Sade Sati, Shani Dhaiya, Saptam Shani, Astham Shani, etc. We all know what to expect in general from these transits and know the appropriate remedies to be done. Sade Sati is w.r.t. moon for everyone and can be challenging for some native whereas can be extremely good for others. Besides, not all phases of Sade Sati are challenging, so to see the overall effects of Sade Sati, one should analyze natal chart completely. Just because you’re undergoing Sade Sati does not mean you have to suffer and not all have difficulties during their Sade Sati.

Besides, no one wants remedies when things are fine and everything is working great. It's a simple rule: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"... IMO, ppl usually try to get astrological advice when things are not working or if there are challenges and hindrances and only if they believe in astrology.

Hope this helps!

prem999
Contributor
Contributor

Post by prem999 » 21 Nov 2011

explorings ji, i will try to rephrase my question - Since sade sati is based purely based on transit, and also considering the fact that nothing can override MD lord, wouldnt it be sufficient to propitiate MD lord alone?

But i think you did answer that question partly in your response, you said both dasha and transit need to be considered.

explorings
Donor
Donor

Post by explorings » 21 Nov 2011

prem999 wrote:explorings ji, i will try to rephrase my question - Since sade sati is based purely based on transit, and also considering the fact that nothing can override MD lord, wouldnt it be sufficient to propitiate MD lord alone?

But i think you did answer that question partly in your response, you said both dasha and transit need to be considered.

Yups u got it! :D

prem999
Contributor
Contributor

Post by prem999 » 21 Nov 2011

thank you :)

neelkumar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by neelkumar » 29 Jun 2014

Very interesting topic.

Personally, I'd give more weight ge to AntarDasha, followed by Transits and then closely followed by Mahadasha.
I would take my chart as an example:
1) Born in Sun MD and Ven AD - I was quite bright looking, and had a good childhood.
2) This followed my Moon MD, even though my Moon is very weak, but the antardashas and transits were useful for my fairly good academics
3) Mars MD followed - another planets which seems to be unfavorable in my chart but I finished Mars MD with a Distinction in my 10th grade because of favorable Mercury/Venus ADs.
4) Then Rahu MD followed; during the period, I completed my MBA, went abroad for my very first job due to benefic ADs and transits.
The interesting part was the Rahu MD- Ketu AD period was a terrible time. Again goes on to show that AD has more bearing as compared to MD.
5) Right now, it's Jup MD: Since 2011, I quit my job because of unfavorable Saturn transit and am still unemployed in malefic Saturn AD.

Thanks, for reading this piece.
Regards,
Neel
मैँ सुरज हुँ - अँधेरा चीड़ के हर रोज़ निकलूँगा,
मुझें क्यॉ रोंक पाओगे, ऊँजला रोंकने वालोँ।

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 29 Jun 2014

It varies depending on the situation as I have already described before

Tinker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What has more weight the mahadasa/antardasa or the transits

Post by Tinker » 26 Dec 2017

What happens when the MD lord and AD lord have opposing agendas w.r.to lordship?
For instance, if MD lord is the 12th lord and AD lord is the 11th lord, what could happen during the period of AD lord? Would the outcome depend on the shadbala of the planets involved?