The Nakshatras

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Thierry
Re: The Nakshatras

Post by Thierry » 02 Dec 2011

Thanks a lot for these very valuable insights about the nakshatras
I'll try to add my contribution on this thread soon
Best regards

Hina
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Hina » 03 Dec 2011

AB,

With each nakshatra, can you please put a name of a personality which would clearly define the best qualities if the nakshatra and one who would showcase the worst of them?

also between the lagna nakshatra & chandra nakshatra which one would dominate?

Thierry

Post by Thierry » 03 Dec 2011

Hi Hina,
Hina wrote:also between the lagna nakshatra & chandra nakshatra which one would dominate?
according to my observations, lagna nakshatra is generally more evident in the overall personality. Lagna nakshatra relates to ahamkara (ego) while chandra nakshatra relates to manas (mind). Manas is linked to the "I like"/"I dislike" psychological process while Ahamkara is close to the ayurvedic definition of prakriti (i.e. temperament).

But it happens that when the full Moon and/or other planets are located in a single nakshatra, the features of this nakshatra really come to prominence in the native's destiny.

Best regards
--
Thierry Chevallier

Thierry

Post by Thierry » 05 Dec 2011

Hi!

The 27 nakshatras are the core of vedic astrology. They are more important than the rashis, for by their very definition a rashi means "a heap" (that is a heap of stars) and a nakshatra means "a star". A rashi is a group of nakshatras (as Astroboy explained very well).

What is the true meaning of the nakshatras? Well, according to the philosophy of Yoga the true nature of the universe (which is the expression of a divine thought) remains beyond the normal human understanding, limited by our sensorial faculties. We can only catch a glimpse of it via the things that our mind are senses are able to perceive. That's the reason why, in order to understand the true nature of the universe, we must use symbols - i.e. visible forms showing an aspect of a more general principle.

In astrology, we mainly use two symbols: the constellations and the planets, which both relate to the general principle of Time.

The nakshatras symbolize the eternal, the world beyond space and time as I explain here http://www.jyotipeople.com/vedic-astrol ... hatra.html

The Planets, on the other hand, symbolize time. They show us the time, as we perceive it from the earth. Time is the moving image of eternity, and so the planets are the moving manifestations of the nakshatras.

But the nakshatras and the planets relate additionally to the general principle of the Psyche. The nakshatras represent the collective unconscious while the planets represent the individual psyche (particularly the lagna-ahamkara, the moon-manas and mercury-buddhi).

We have to differentiate between these two different symbolical functions:
- TIME : regarding the unfoldment of earthly events, the link between nakshatras and planets is derived from dasha lordship
- PSYCHE : regarding the nature of the human mind, the link between nakshatras and planets is indirectly derived from the ruling deity of each nakshatra, which is the origin of the rashi rulership and exaltation lordships.

Best regards
Thierry Chevallier
http://www.jyotipeople.com
Ayurveda, Yoga, Vedic astrology

KalyanC
Donor
Donor

Post by KalyanC » 08 Mar 2012

Hey Astroboy,

This was very educational. Just a quick response on two nakshatras that I am directly associated with. My lagna is in Bharani Nakshatra and Moon in my chart is in Sravana Nakshatra. I gotta tell you if I were to analyze myself, I have both qualities but I dont have the "forgive people at all costs" thing that you mention about the Sravana Nakshatra. I definitely dont have the selfish part of the Bharani Nakshatra -- something that is highlighted in Bharani.

So, my point is, there seems to be a mixture of both. I dont identify with several of other stars but I do find the qualities mentioned for Bharani and Sravana in me. The extreme nature of Bharani is very prominent in my psyche. It is an interesting area to analyze how the mixture happens and which one would actually dominate the persona!!!

In any case, I find this very interesting.

Cheers,
Kalyan

Astroadvice
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by Astroadvice » 21 Jul 2012

Very nice thread astroboy ji, u mentioned in case of bharani nakshatra if rahu and ascendent both are in above mentioned nakshatra then its devastatin...i think i hav this combo(25th oct. 1985,tm- 17.50hrs, plce- 88e15, 27n15, 5.30ist)...it wil be great if u would give more info about it...

Regards.

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anxious2711 » 22 Jul 2012

astroboy wrote:
The fateful degrees for Mula are follows

Kuja – 02 00 Deg
Rahu – 10 00 Deg
Ketu – 11.00 Deg

Dear AB,

What do you mean by fateful degrees? I have been through my Ketu dasha and my Ketu is at 11'00, if you could clarify this, I would be able to tell whether I experience such a thing.

Thanks,

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 22 Jul 2012

If a planet falls within 0.20°-0.30° of the mrityu bagha only then it can be considered mildly fateful otherwise the planet will work as it is supposed to. And if a planet has already crossed the MB degree there won't be any ill-effects, but if a retrograde planet has crossed the MB degree then it should fall within 0.20° limit.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

In my chart, Ketu is placed exactly at 11'00'07, thus within 0'20 of the degree AB's given (FYI, it is not the MB degree for Ketu in that sign though, hence my question)

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@anxious,

Yes it is in MB degree. Save this chart for your reference

It can only mean that Ketu can create some troubles, like calcium deficiency or some mild diseases related to bones or delayed pregnancy. So don't take the word 'literally' :) - in your case the planet might have crossed the MB degree, you should only watch out when the planet is nearing MB.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ketu is retro so it is just entering MB, from your logic.
I thought my Rahu was in MB (That's what J Hora shows). When we say 1st degree, it means 0 to 1 degree so the 12th degree of Gemini means 11 to 12. This is actually quite confusing...

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

anxious, what do you expect from ketu in MB?

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by anxious2711 » 23 Jul 2012

To be honest I have no clue, but I probably should have noticed some health issues during its' dasha, which I did not...

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » 23 Jul 2012

In Indira and Rajiv Gandhi's chart there are no planets in MB and yet they managed to bite the bullet. If one planet alone has the power to inflict death there would be no need to check the ascendant, yoga at birth and other planets or aspects. One planet alone does not bring about misfortune in any chart, MB is one such thing in the checklist of bad things. If Ketu is bad in the chart, it causes mild health issues- especially in children. Same goes to Nakshatras - not all Moola nakshatra natives are doomed to misery because it is quite logical to assume you cannot generalize fate simply based on one simple point.

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I know that one planet does not make or break a chart. And I know that planets in MB do not inflict death per se. I was just saying that if Ketu was in MB, then I would have seen some signs during my Ketu dasha, wouldn't I? (a dasa which started in my childhood)

The real question is when we say Ketu is in MB is Saggitarius in the 11th degree, according to the Indian way of reading it it means from 10 to 11 degree, according to the western way of interpreting it means 11 to 12 degree. Which one is it?

If we follow the first way then my Rahu is in MB, if we follow the second method than my Ketu is in MB.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ketu is a natural retrograde, so I think you should check from the 12 to 11 degrees.

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ketu might be retrograde but the way to read a degree does not change, does it? It just says 11th degree of saggitarius, not 18th from the end.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Any planet nearing MB is considered bad. Ketu is approaching your MB.

anxious2711
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Fair enough, but the Rahu is in MB, right? Within the trimsamsa degree?

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

yep.

vedastro

Post by vedastro » 25 Apr 2013

Can someone please explain, what is trimsamsa degree? I have saturn in virgo at 16 degrees and 12 minutes which is very close to MB. But what is trimsamsa degress? Does the planet in MB gives all bad results related to it??

KMD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KMD » 22 Aug 2021

Hi,

This is an excellent thread that has details of Nakshatras.

Regards,
KMD
"The planets are always favorable to one who does not harm others, who possesses composure, who earns wealth through honest means and who restrains the baser instincts."