Cancer Ascendant : A Case of Bad Karma?

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Cancer Ascendant : A Case of Bad Karma?

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 02 Jan 2011

Hi Learned Members

From previus post we know that Cancer Ascendants do well materially in this world of ours (Mars and Jupiter provide very good trinal support). But how about from the karma side? Are the scales a bit tipped too much on the material end? The answer is yes.

Rahu ruling Aquarius and Gemini are both bad dusthanas. Mercury is also a ruler of two Dusthanas. Saturn is a ruler of one Dusthana and that is a Moolatrikona Sign. The 6th and 9th house Jupiter rulership means that the 9th house of ethics and philosophy is serving the 6th house of Dusthana. If Jupiter is placed in the 6th and with Rahu, notwithstanding it is a trinal lord, the person can have a darker side to his personality although outwardly he appears pious and very good in Philosophy (Jupiter after all is in his own sign). Jawarhal Nehru has this configuration.

Mars the Yogakaraka planet energy also need softening and need to have his excess energy put to proper use as well.

Let's take an example of my chart to see how the above dismal picture on the karma side can be overcomed by this current life ie. the placement of planets in the signs which is overall in charge by the Moon.

My birth details once again.

22nd June 1962
Singapore 1 degree 16 minutes North
103 degrees 51 minutes East
GMT 7 hours 30 minutes East (that is before 1983; after 1983 it is 8 hours East)

My Rahu sits in Cancer in the Ascendant. According to classics, this eradicates all evil in the chart when Rahu sits in Aires, Taurs and Cancer in the Ascendant.

Venus disposits Mars by Nakshatra (Nakshatra rulership is stronger than sign rulership). Venus softens Mars energy.

Moon the Ascendant Lord sits in Capricorn, the most benign sign. It is disposited by Sautrn in its own sign showing that the person is afraid of any future karma retributions so he will watch his words and deeds in this current world. A9 and A10 is here as well. Together with A3 and A4 it denotes a person who makes sure his actions is tinged with compassion as well. He strives for lofty ideals in his actions.

Ruler of 9th house is Jupiter in 8th. As mentioned in the previous posts this position is good (Bhava Ratnakara mentioned this is a very good position of Jupiter and I had a post explaining why this is so (one of the rasons being Jupiter is the karaka of the 9th and natural ruler of the 12th if we take 8th to be 12th from the 9th), in addition 9th house is 3 levels above the 8th house by Bhavat Ratnam principle so when ruler of 9th when placed in the 8th, it melts the maleficence that is in the 8th, This is the other reason why Jupiter is well placed here).

My 9th house is flanked on both sides by Mars and Jupiter (Mars in 10th by the way puts the energy of Mars to good use). These two planets are the best for a Cancer Ascendant. If we bring up the Navamsa position of Jupiter onto the Rasis chart, it sits on the 9th in its own sign. Saturn in 7th in Digbala (I had a post explaining why Saturn is powerful here) aspects the 9th house with a 3rd house aspect (Saturn aspects to the 3rd house and 9th house is supposed to be good according to classics).

Saturn rulership of the 8th is nullified because it is in its own sign on the 7th (basically the idea is that when a planet is in its own sign on the 5th, 7th and 11th, the planet concerned only rules that sign in the chart even if is a two sign rulership planet).

Jupiter and Ketu both trinal lords rules the 6th - my other Dusthana. I will always be protected by Lakshmi from my enemies. Jupiter also trines my 12th house - my 3rd Dusthana. My secret enemies always comes to light and dissolve because of Jupiter's grace. The rulership of the 12th is Mercury and Rahu, one is 12th to 12th and the other 2nd to 12th, it helps to control the 12th house maleficent effects (on top of that Rahu is also in Cancer as mentioned previously). Mercury in Vishnu D-60 divison helps to fight off evil.

The 3rd house, the last Dusthana, the ruler Mercury is 9th from it. The ruler of a house placed 9th from it usually gives beneficial effects to that house itself.

But there are two drawbacks in my chart.

Mercury is very high in Shadbala and ruling the 12th house and 3rd it shows a lot of POWERFUL SECRET ENEMIES.

Jupiter ruling 6th house of enemies goes into the 8th. As mentioned in my previous post, unless Vipareet Raja Yoga occurs which does not apply to natural benefics, any relationship between the 6th and 8th house is no good even though they are in a 3rd-11th house relationship. My enemies become chronic although they are sickeningly sweet. But bear in mind Jupiter here is a trinal lord. So the enmity is not serious. Jupiter is also a general karakatwa for dissolving of enmity because it is a natural benefic but this factor cannot be used as explained in my earlier post as it is a weak factor in this case as TWO Dusthana houses are involved. But the trinal lord factor is powerful.

Well, like I say always, you cannot have everything!

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

Maharani
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cancer Ascendant : A Case of Bad Karma?

Post by Maharani » 04 Jan 2011

Hi Khoo,

Ah, us glorious cancer ascendants!! Id be curious to know how you would analyze my chart for karma. My mother still yells at me about my bad karma as I am not married......ridiculous really, but like a broken record, very annoying. DOB February 17 1955, 6pm, Mumbai India.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 04 Jan 2011

Hi Maharani

Will get back to you.

Hi Everyone

Just one point to mention. Mercury high in Shadbala placed in my 11th house, according to one classic, also makes all my houses in the chart becomes auspicious.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 08 Jan 2011

Hi

This is from Horasara of Prithuyasas :

In Randhr Guru contributes to long lease of life. The native will become a king, be learned and have his force of enemies destroyed.

Another classical source supporting Jupiter in the 8th. Note this source does not even mention Jupiter has to be ruler of the 9th house in order for it to be good.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong

astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by astro123 » 09 Feb 2011

Khoo Hock Leong wrote:Hi

This is from Horasara of Prithuyasas :

In Randhr Guru contributes to long lease of life. The native will become a king, be learned and have his force of enemies destroyed.

Another classical source supporting Jupiter in the 8th. Note this source does not even mention Jupiter has to be ruler of the 9th house in order for it to be good.

Warmest Regards
Hock Leong
Hi KHL

I assume jupiter gives a long life only if Jupiter is alone in the 8th and not conjunct other planet(s) in the sign .??

thx
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology

hemant_v
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hemant_v » 02 Feb 2012

Hi Khoo,

I am cancer ascendant with Jup and Moon in it. Kindly help me with your analysis on my career, marriage and life quality overall. I feel that i am going through a very bad phase now and have been facing this since 1997. Please help me with your analysis. My details:

Birth Date: 10th Feb 1979
Birth PLace: Gondia
Birth Time: 4:30pm

I look forward to your analysis on this.

jcb
Donor
Donor

Post by jcb » 03 Feb 2012

Hi Khoo,

I am also Cancer lagna with Jupiter in 9th house, Saturn in 7th house, Rahu in 12th house and rest of all planets in 6th house. I am Highly educated (PhD), Good job, spiritual but Life is very dramatic from begining like sudden fall and immediate rise in every aspect.Can you analyse the chart from Karma point of you?

Regards,
JCB

sathis
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sathis » 08 Jun 2012

hemant_v wrote:Hi Khoo,

I am cancer ascendant with Jup and Moon in it. Kindly help me with your analysis on my career, marriage and life quality overall. I feel that i am going through a very bad phase now and have been facing this since 1997. Please help me with your analysis. My details:

Birth Date: 10th Feb 1979
Birth PLace: Gondia
Birth Time: 4:30pm

I look forward to your analysis on this.
Thats the Best combination in astrology.whats ur nakshatra?

rathodp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rathodp » 08 Jun 2012

Same for me
[quote="vishvesh"]Dear Khoo Hock Leong,

Very good analysis my friend, i learnt a lot from your post.......i just casted your horoscope and for some reason my software is showing a Gemini lagna at 12-42 degrees Ardr Naks........the details i used are:-

DOB 22 June 1962
TOB 07:30 AM (GMT + 8)
POB Singapore

Anyways, from your post could you please elaborate the effect of jupiter and your higher education before age of 32; i want to understand the effect of jupiter being the 9th house lord in the 8th with no aspects and 9th house lord receiving the aspect of saturn who happens to be 7th and 8th house lord (from Cancer lagna).......

Thanks and Regards

Vishvesh[/quote]

navall
Contributor
Contributor

Post by navall » 08 Jun 2012

Dear Khoo,

How will Mars Behave Being Yogakaraka for cancer Asc.

When debilitated in 1st house
30/8/1983, 4.20 am, 78.47 E,30.09 N

When Posited with Jupiter in 6th house
13/10/84, 00.30 am , Ambala, Haryana, India
Warm Regards,

Naval

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 29 May 2013

A lot of posts have passed since I posted this thread.

I tend to place less emphasis on the Rasi chart at birth. I place more emphasis more on the Progressed D1 chart taking 5th house as the Ascendant and using the progressed D45 (taking its 5th house as the Ascendant) to confirm the prosperity of the individual.

Having said that, even for the Rasi Cancer Ascendant, since elipsis post, I realize classics (could be BPHS) has assessed for each Ascendant, the various functional benefics and functional malefics.

Moon as functional benefic being the Ascendant Lord is a great boon for Cancer people. Moon is the most important planet in a person's chart. For example, if all planets aspect the Moon, it is a Raja Yoga, but if Moon becomes the Ascendant Lord, it becomes even more so.

Jupiter being the karaka and natural ruler of the 9th means Cancer Ascendant are saintly people par excellence since for them, Jupiter is also the functional ruler (just like Aires Ascendant people, but Cancer is in addition where Jupiter gets exalted, so they are even in a better position).

Mars being a Yogakaraka and Mars being digbala in 10th, gives Cancer Ascendant to back up their words with deeds since Mars is ruling the 10th of karma and 5th of intelligence and intelligent action. Cancer Ascendant people are born on this earth with the ability to remake their karma.

Saturn ruling 7th and 8th is a neutral planet is also a great boon. Cancer Ascendant is the ONLY Ascendant where the 1st and 7th lords are NOT functional malefics and in addition, the Lagna is a functional benefic (even Sagittarius and Gemini Ascendants, although they have neutral 7th lords, their 1st lord is not functional benefic which makes it less of a quality for 1st+7th lords combined). 1st is also the 7th of the 7th ie. the Bhavat Bhavam of the 7th. Moon and Saturn have to deal with the masses. THIS MEANS CANCER ASCENDANT PEOPLE HAVE AN UNCANNY UNDERSTANDING OF OTHERS.

Rahu although ruling malefic 8th and 12th houses, but the nodes we tend to place more emphasis on the sign and Nakshatra they are in and the planets that conjunct it. Rahu also has an affinity with Cancer and Rahu in Cancer wards off evil. SO RAHU IN CANCER GIVES CANCERIANS ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF SPIRITUALITY. EVEN IF RAHU IS NOT PLACED THERE, THE SPIRITUALITY OF THE PERSON IS IN EVIDENCE.

Ketu ruling the 5th and the 6th can be considered a functional benefic for a Cancer Ascendant people because Ketu is dharmic in nature, so as long as it rules a trinal house, it is a functional benefic (unlike Saturn). Jupiter also rules the 6th. Two dharmic planets ruling the 6th because of Sagittarius overlaying there shows Cancerians are compassionate to those who work for them. But since there is a link up with the 5th, it also shows the workers pay obeisance to Cancer Ascendant people. They naturally have lordship over others in the workplace.

Jupiter in Aquarius in the 8th makes Cancer Ascendant people famous since like in one of the posts it was mentioned, this is akin to Jupiter in Cancer. So with Rahu in Cancer as well, the person becomes even more famous. Venus with Rahu in Cancer would in addition make the person truly understand the meaning of scriptures. Moon aspecting Venus+Rahu from the 7th causes a magnified Raja Yoga in addition. If Saturn sits with the Moon, it causes another Raja Yoga where the Ascendant Lord is disposited strongly and the dispositor sits in its own sign and in digbala. In this case both the dispositors of Rahu and Ketu sit together, shows the person can fulfill his needs easily (the nectar of the ocean). If Saturn and the Moon is the Yogi and Ava Yogi, it means the ups and downs of life is in evidence but the person is never down and out especially if Pushya is on top of the Ascendant and the Yogi point. I have all these characteristics.

Best Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » 29 May 2013

By the way Saturn is a functional malefic for me unlike for the normal Cancer Ascendant individual BECAUSE Saturn is in its own sign in the 7th, so its rulership of the 8th is effectively curtailed according to Phaladeepika. According to the post by elipsis, the 7th lord can only be neutral only if the non-great benefic lord ruling the 7th is ALSO ruling a higher house between the 8th and the 12th.

Best Regards
Hock Leong

shriastrology

Post by shriastrology » 27 Aug 2019

Hope I has same feeling being Cancer ascendant (DOB: 17th Oct 1984, Time: 1.10AM , Tuljapur Maharashtra).
After marriage I feel life has made good turns and material front looks good with each passing day. Hope some reads my horoscope, I am really excited to know how my Rahu in 11th House of Taurus is for me.

justchill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justchill » 23 Feb 2022

Exalted rahu in 11th. I am not an expert. Does this mean lot of gains?? But Rahu co lords 8th house. Secret gains??
I just watched a video of classes of Shri Sanjay rath as per him malefics in the 11th hurt the 5th bhava.

justchill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by justchill » 23 Feb 2022

Exalted rahu in 11th. I am not an expert. Does this mean lot of gains?? But Rahu co lords 8th house. Secret gains??
I just watched a video of classes of Shri Sanjay rath as per him malefics in the 11th hurt the 5th bhava.

KMD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KMD » 25 Feb 2022

Hi,

In general, natural malefics are best posted in 3rd, 6th, 11th houses. But this placement does not remove or reduce their malefic nature. They afflict the other houses that they aspect.

In the specific case of Rahu being exalted Rahu, the placement is excellent. But it also means that Ketu is exalted in the 5th.

Regards,
KMD
"The planets are always favorable to one who does not harm others, who possesses composure, who earns wealth through honest means and who restrains the baser instincts."

Roshi35

Post by Roshi35 » 12 Mar 2022

Amazing analysis @Hock Leong! I too am a cancer ascendant 🙏🙂! I’m wondering if you would be able to glance at my horoscope
to give me insight on my karma! My Jupiter is debilitated in the 7th and I have been not able to overcome the biggest hurdle of my divorce and child custody case to date. It’s been 4 years since I filed it!!! As you may know it’s it’s pushing me to be more strong but it really blocking me in developing and moving forward in life with my child.

Date of birth:26th November 1985
Time:22:11
Place of birth: colombo, Sri Lanka

I hope I will be lucky enough to hear from you on this matter.

Regards
Rosh