Nakshatras and Stars

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Vedic Astro Boy
Nakshatras and Stars

Post by Vedic Astro Boy » 28 Jul 2014

Hi

I want to reopen a topic already addressed by me in another thread of this forum: the relation between the Nakshatras and the fixed star they relate.

In the past times i've been studding the relations of the fixed stars with the Nakshastras, it seams clear to me that if the Nakshastras were based on asterisms, that I would like to understand better which ones are they in order to deepen my understanding of the Nakshastras.

The Surya-Siddhanta as well as other sources mentions this relations in a very clear way, nevertheless there are some doubts that are still in my mind.

The main matter is which fiducial point should one consider when defining the Nakshastras. The more common option nowadays is to sync the 0º Ashvini with the 0º Aries (Sideral), doing this there some fixed stars that are misplaced regarding their Nakshastras:

Betelgeuse is in Mrigashirsha insteed of Arda

Arcturus is in Chitta insted of Svati

Shaula and Lesath are really in the transitions between Jyeshtha and Mula
etc...

In the Surya Siddanta it's mention that the star zeta Pis is the one that marks the begin of Revati, and this star is at the moment in 26º Pis - So this means that Revati should begin in 26º Pis and not in 16°40' Pis. ???
This will also change the relative position of the fixed stars regarding their Nakshastras.

Other hypothesis is liked with the Pleiades. We know that in circa 2000 BC the Vernal point was the Pleiades and that this point was also the mark for Krittika. If we look at the ancient lists of Nakshastras Krittika appears as the 1st one on the list. Would this means that the fiducial point of the Nakshastras is linked with the vernal point? I not very inclined for this, but still is a hypothesis one should consider. Or at least it looks as if the list / order of the Nakshastras changes in time. I think there are recordings of different orders that relates to the vernal point.

Other big problem is Spica and Arcturus, it's said that Spica rules over Chitta and Arcturus over Svati, but as they are so closed together it's impossible that Arcturus in in Svati, unless we make the division between Chitta and Svati go trough these 2 stars. So Spica would be the very end of Chitta and Arcturus the begin of Svati.

Other issue is the link between Vega and Abhijit:
From the books were are told that the Abhijit Nakshatra extends from 6* 40' to 10 *53 of Sign Capricorn and that is ruled by the star Vega (a Lyr) and the presiding deity is Brahma. But when we look at the zodiacal place of the star Vega, she's in 21* 19 Sagittarius... in Purva Ashada

Well... as you see i've a lot in my head... :)

Looking forward to hear your feed-backs on these matters.

Vedic Astro Boy